What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

"Good" pitchers that are pitching bad....weather the storm? (1 Viewer)

eoMMan

Footballguy
The 3 guys mentioned all have ERA's now over 5.00.

What do you do with players like this?

Do you keep playing them until they get so bad that they get benched by the team?

I can't tell when they are going to get their #### together.

Keep playing Myers

Be more selective with Billingsley

Bench Good Weaver until further notice

Myers is a good play, although I'd be careful at home.

I'd start Billingsley against almost anyone.

Weaver I'd start against very bad teams only until further notice...hi Cliffy.

I think it depends on what other options you have. I don't have much on my bench with my players on the D.L., and I have Myers. I am leaving him in. I do believe he will improve over the season and rack up a lot of Wins and Ks.

I've been trying to trade for Myers.

He's still a good play.

Keep an eye on the others, as it may be a long storm.

Just dropped Myers for Bourn. I am tied for last in steals. But I am also first in BA, so, Bourn shouldn't hurt too much in that category.

I would like to aquire guys like Myers and Billingsly especially. I tend to discount Billingsly's first couple starts, he didn't get into a groove with the rain and other circumstances.

I have both Myers and Weaver. I have stopped trying to predict starts and am just going to roll with both of them for now. I sat Weaver for that win he had in Detroit, only to start him for the two clunkers he threw against Bal and KC following.

God Weaver has been atrocious. He's riding the pine until he can put a decent 7 innings together.

Billinsgly is a tough one. He truely is Eppy Calvin Nuke LaLoosh, capable of striking out 18 at any given time, but also capable of walking 18 at the same time. Once he learns that focus and doesnt try to over throw, he will be the ace of the staff. I would keep him in there as I expect him to turn the corner and be the stud he can be.

I own each of these guys in one league. :goodposting:

Frankly, Myers worries me the most. He is not pitching with confidence, and his fastball is not as good as it's been in years past. He is throwing way, way, way too many off speed pitches and is getting hit a lot. I'm still starting him most of the time, but I would trade him if I ever received a fair offer for him.

Billingsley I start with confidence. He is still overpowering at times and has good stuff and a good home park. I'm a bit surprised he's been so hittable so far, but I'm not too worried. Weaver I still like too. I expect that with both of these guys, as the weather warms up, they will be great starting pitchers.

I just knew starting Myers last night was a bad idea, still don't know why I left him in there. Thankfully those HR's came with the bases empty.

Just sucks that I decided on a strategy this year to not worry much about saves and drafted both Billingsly and Myers to play RP for me.

Right now...I am just going week by week. 2 start weeks...I go with one of them..

Another guy off to a bad start is Snell. I considered dropping him today, but after looking closer at some of his stats, I'm going to keep him on my bench. His BABIP is .345 while his K and BB rate are still in line with last year. His LD% is a bit high too so I'm going to hope he's just having some bad luck right now and will correct.

I just knew starting Myers last night was a bad idea, still don't know why I left him in there. Thankfully those HR's came with the bases empty.
Same here. He at least got 6 K's in 4.33 IP, so there's a little sunshine there.His next start is against the Nats, and if he can't put something together there I'm really going to be perplexed.I've been trying to trade him for a couple of weeks now and didn't even get a nibble. Couldn't even pry away someone elses underachiever (Bonderman). I'm hoping he has a good game against Washington and I can move him to a believer.

Another guy off to a bad start is Snell. I considered dropping him today, but after looking closer at some of his stats, I'm going to keep him on my bench. His BABIP is .345 while his K and BB rate are still in line with last year. His LD% is a bit high too so I'm going to hope he's just having some bad luck right now and will correct.
I did end up dropping him in one league.But my staff there is quite solid (Haren, Beckett, DiceK, Maine, Volquez)Of course, the same league I have Myers and Billingsly too...I would have never thought all 3 of them would struggle.

It's a small thing, but Johan Santana needs to learn that the leagues have small differences. You can pitch around that 8th place hitter if you want to with the pitcher coming up next.

He's grooving changeups to Kelly Johnson with Tim Hudson in the on deck circle? Uncool.

Edit to add: Someone wake up Willie Randolph and tell him it's ok to get the bullpen going, even if it is the great Johan that's struggling.

Last edited by a moderator:
Statorama said:
It's a small thing, but Johan Santana needs to learn that the leagues have small differences. You can pitch around that 8th place hitter if you want to with the pitcher coming up next.He's grooving changeups to Kelly Johnson with Tim Hudson in the on deck circle? Uncool.Edit to add: Someone wake up Willie Randolph and tell him it's ok to get the bullpen going, even if it is the great Johan that's struggling.
This is an excellent point and I mentioned the same thing at another board. Johan is having trouble adjusting to NL play and he doesn't look nearly as sharp as he did in 2006. Still a stud, don't get me wrong but at this point in his career he needs to start applying his experience in tandem with his raw talent which I think is what Statorama is eluding to. He's just not doing that so far this year and 1 K over 7+ innings is not the Johan we know.

Statorama said:
It's a small thing, but Johan Santana needs to learn that the leagues have small differences. You can pitch around that 8th place hitter if you want to with the pitcher coming up next.He's grooving changeups to Kelly Johnson with Tim Hudson in the on deck circle? Uncool.Edit to add: Someone wake up Willie Randolph and tell him it's ok to get the bullpen going, even if it is the great Johan that's struggling.
This is an excellent point and I mentioned the same thing at another board. Johan is having trouble adjusting to NL play and he doesn't look nearly as sharp as he did in 2006. Still a stud, don't get me wrong but at this point in his career he needs to start applying his experience in tandem with his raw talent which I think is what Statorama is eluding to. He's just not doing that so far this year and 1 K over 7+ innings is not the Johan we know.
Thanks DD. It also seems like Willie is, I don't know, afraid of hurting Johan's feelings or something. Santana is human, and some nights he just doesn't have his best stuff. It's ok to bring in someone from the pen, even if it's the sixth inning.

Thanks DD. It also seems like Willie is, I don't know, afraid of hurting Johan's feelings or something. Santana is human, and some nights he just doesn't have his best stuff. It's ok to bring in someone from the pen, even if it's the sixth inning.
:shrug: Willie overuses his bullpen every other game. Hes a black Joe Torre. Poor Heilman & Sanchez have been running on fumes.

:bag: Willie overuses his bullpen every other game. Hes a black Joe Torre. Poor Heilman & Sanchez have been running on fumes.
That's why it stands out like a sore thumb that he doesn't trot them out there when Johan is throwing BP. He has no problems yanking anyone else when they're getting killed out there, and the Braves weren't hitting soft dribblers. Johan wasn't even fooling the lefties in the lineup...Mark Kotsay was stinging the ball.It was just frustrating watching that merry-go-round in the sixth inning. I was hoping that Willie was frustrated too, seeing as how he's in a position to do something about it.

Time to dump Myers yet?
3 man league? who drops myers?
:thumbup: I think it's a legit question. Keep an eye on Philly. If they sign Lidge during the year....(which by accounts on the radio they are talking to him about....something that Gillick doesn't really like to do) they will move Brett Myers to a team in need of a closer for a pitcher who wants to be a starter. Myers' solutions to things on the mound currently is that if someone gets a hit off of him.....he's just going to throw it harder down the middle of the plate.

Time to dump Myers yet?
:excited: I think it's a legit question. Keep an eye on Philly. If they sign Lidge during the year....(which by accounts on the radio they are talking to him about....something that Gillick doesn't really like to do) they will move Brett Myers to a team in need of a closer for a pitcher who wants to be a starter. Myers' solutions to things on the mound currently is that if someone gets a hit off of him.....he's just going to throw it harder down the middle of the plate.
Why would a team trade for Myers to be their closer?

Time to dump Myers yet?
:lmao: I think it's a legit question. Keep an eye on Philly. If they sign Lidge during the year....(which by accounts on the radio they are talking to him about....something that Gillick doesn't really like to do) they will move Brett Myers to a team in need of a closer for a pitcher who wants to be a starter. Myers' solutions to things on the mound currently is that if someone gets a hit off of him.....he's just going to throw it harder down the middle of the plate.
Because Myers was an effective closer and he only wants to be a closer. If Lidge walks...Myers is the closer next year.

Time to dump Myers yet?
:fishy: I think it's a legit question. Keep an eye on Philly. If they sign Lidge during the year....(which by accounts on the radio they are talking to him about....something that Gillick doesn't really like to do) they will move Brett Myers to a team in need of a closer for a pitcher who wants to be a starter. Myers' solutions to things on the mound currently is that if someone gets a hit off of him.....he's just going to throw it harder down the middle of the plate.
Because Myers was an effective closer and he only wants to be a closer. If Lidge walks...Myers is the closer next year.
He was an effective closer for half a year. The rest of his career he's been an effective starter. And I havent seen him say he wants to only be a closer. Do you have a link? Not saying youre wrong but this is the first Im hearing of it.

Is it just me or are Philly fans the most nervous, knee-jerk reactionary fans in the country? Dump Myers? He's going to be traded to be a closer somewhere? Myers only wants to be a closer? Dumping him would be just as dumb as those who sold low on CC and Ryan Howard in April. The other two? Sounds like Philly sports radio media hype hoop-la irrelvant BS.

Is it just me or are Philly fans the most nervous, knee-jerk reactionary fans in the country? Dump Myers? He's going to be traded to be a closer somewhere? Myers only wants to be a closer? Dumping him would be just as dumb as those who sold low on CC and Ryan Howard in April. The other two? Sounds like Philly sports radio media hype hoop-la irrelvant BS.
Brah....this has been a topic of discussion for awhile now......made more relevant with:a) the contract talks that are supposedly going on with Lidgeb) the horrible, horrible pitching of Brett Myers. If Myers were living up to his potential...this wouldn't be an issue. But he's not. He wants to be in the bullpen.There has also been some chatter about moving Durbin to the rotation and putting Myers in as a long man if it continues. No link to Myers' closer aspirations.

Brah....this has been a topic of discussion for awhile now......made more relevant with:a) the contract talks that are supposedly going on with Lidgeb) the horrible, horrible pitching of Brett Myers. If Myers were living up to his potential...this wouldn't be an issue. But he's not. He wants to be in the bullpen.There has also been some chatter about moving Durbin to the rotation and putting Myers in as a long man if it continues. No link to Myers' closer aspirations.
Lidge's contract talks have nothing to do with Myers.Myers had three quality starts in a row before last night.Replacing Myers with Durbin?! I want what you're smoking. Durbin's best utilized as a long relief arm, want proof? Look how he did as a starter for the Tigers. To compare him to Myers is laughable.And I take it this "chatter" of him wanting to move to the pen and being replaced by Durbin :-)giggle:) is just Philly sports radio media jabber mixed in with homer message board drivel since there are no links. Chatter is not news.

Time to dump Myers yet?
:goodposting: I think it's a legit question. Keep an eye on Philly. If they sign Lidge during the year....(which by accounts on the radio they are talking to him about....something that Gillick doesn't really like to do) they will move Brett Myers to a team in need of a closer for a pitcher who wants to be a starter. Myers' solutions to things on the mound currently is that if someone gets a hit off of him.....he's just going to throw it harder down the middle of the plate.
i was just being a turd

Chad Durbin's career numbers 26-38, 500 IP, 5.49 ERA, 10.13 H9, 1.43 HR9, 3.74 BB9, 5.15 K9, 1.54 WHIP, 47% GB%

Brett Myers' career numbers 62-53, 1000 IP, 4.43 ERA, 9.12 H9, 1.32 HR9, 3.19 BB9, 7.55 K9, 1.37 WHIP, 49% GB%

Durbin over Myers, that's the funniest thing I've read in I don't remember how long. Philly fans crack me up in a bad way. Kolb over McNabb, Durbin over Myers, get TO out of town - I'm sure forcing Ryan Howard out will be next on the agenda...

Lidge's contract talks have nothing to do with Myers.Myers had three quality starts in a row before last night.Replacing Myers with Durbin?! I want what you're smoking. Durbin's best utilized as a long relief arm, want proof? Look how he did as a starter for the Tigers. To compare him to Myers is laughable.And I take it this "chatter" of him wanting to move to the pen and being replaced by Durbin :-)giggle:) is just Philly sports radio media jabber mixed in with homer message board drivel since there are no links. Chatter is not news.
What you don't know about Philly baseball would fill the Grand Canyon. Lidge's contract has alot to do with Myers. More than a few baseball people in Philadelphia have said that if Lidge goes elsewhere.....Myers will be the closer next year; that he is better suited for it than as a starter; that he has more of a closer mentality. They've also said that if Lidge signs during midseason (something that the front office has admitted to initiating and something they don't always do) that they will take offers for Myers.....(if he doesn't straighten himself out). Have you seen Myers pitch this year? he looks clueless out there; his head isn't on and he isn't thinking like a top of the rotation starter.

Users who are viewing this thread