Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Eephus

*OFFICIAL* Thread: WIS X and the Cluster of Sim

6,070 posts in this topic

I would be interested... I am not a big poster but am always lurking around... Disappointed that I missed the greatest of all time draft though.

I really like the idea of trying the all time draft with the dice roll for which season you use. It's something we haven't done yet and I think it would be a lot of fun.Draft the all time best player. Give your top 6 years, 1-6. Roll a 6 sided dice and you get the corresponding year...GOLD!

I hate this idea for individual players, but I see potential in this if we use a dice roll to determine what 7-10 year era you get to pick your players from in an entire draft.
For a guy that has about a 2% chance of participating, you sure are a negative nancy.
I was trying to help. Besides, no one does a better meltdown than me. This league NEEDS me.

I enjoyed the realism of the draft last time around.

:snicker:
OK, it was pretend but still more realistic than a league w/ eight Hornsbys.

Pick a players 5 or 7 best seasons. Dice roll for year.

The time has come.

Pick a players 5 or 7 best seasons. Dice roll for year.The time has come.

Harrible idea.

Pick a players 5 or 7 best seasons. Dice roll for year.

The time has come.

ON BOARD!

Pick a players 5 or 7 best seasons. Dice roll for year.The time has come.

Harrible idea.
I'm bringing back harrrrr schtick for this next sim.If you act now, you can trade me your first round pick and I'll tell you who to pick in the ninth round.

I enjoyed the realism of the draft last time around.

:snicker:
OK, it was pretend but still more realistic than a league w/ eight Hornsbys.
I agree with Eephus.I still like the short-period draft of 49-55 best, although I won't fight the dice roll thing too hard if momentum builds.

Pitcher and hitter eligibility: 1949-1955 (pending confirmation, open to discussion and/or better ideas)

Was thinking about this... while this time frame makes perfect sense for most of us regulars, especially after the last short-period draft went over so well, if we end up needing to attract a lot of new people we may have to open it up a bit. I like drafting obscure, forgotten 50s players, and I know I'm not alone, but it's not for everyone.
Well, we just did the late 70s, which probably rules out the early 70s & 80s. We've also done the steroid era before. The late 80s are a possibility, as are the late 60s deadball era.I'm not wedded to 1949-55 but enjoyed the quasi-realism of the short era draft last time around. If there was a lot of interest in going back to a larger draft pool, I'd go along with the majority as long as there were no clones. I hate clones.
I would have a bonergasm if we did late 80s

I really like the idea of trying the all time draft with the dice roll for which season you use. It's something we haven't done yet and I think it would be a lot of fun.Draft the all time best player. Give your top 6 years, 1-6. Roll a 6 sided dice and you get the corresponding year...GOLD!

This is an outstanding idea for a draft.
Rather than 25 individual rolls per team, which would turn three weeks of drafting into a game of Yahtzee, a better system would be to have each team sequence their players 1-25 in any order of their choosing. Player APlayer BPlayer C...Player YThen a single six sided roll would determine which season would be used for Player A; the number would increment for each successive player. Let's say you roll a three, you'd use the third best season from A, the fourth best from B and so on, ending with the fourth best season from player Y. We could use WIS salary as way of quantitatively ranking the seasons.This would provide more competitive balance because every team would have four or five "best" seasons and four or five sixth best. Sequencing the players before the roll would introduce another element of pseudo-strategic mumbo jumbo, particularly for players with a short stack of quality years.For the record, I still prefer a straight-up, short era draft. But if people want games of chance, I'll play along.

This is an outstanding idea for a draft.
Rather than 25 individual rolls per team, which would turn three weeks of drafting into a game of Yahtzee, a better system would be to have each team sequence their players 1-25 in any order of their choosing. Player APlayer BPlayer C...Player YThen a single six sided roll would determine which season would be used for Player A; the number would increment for each successive player. Let's say you roll a three, you'd use the third best season from A, the fourth best from B and so on, ending with the fourth best season from player Y. We could use WIS salary as way of quantitatively ranking the seasons.This would provide more competitive balance because every team would have four or five "best" seasons and four or five sixth best. Sequencing the players before the roll would introduce another element of pseudo-strategic mumbo jumbo, particularly for players with a short stack of quality years.For the record, I still prefer a straight-up, short era draft. But if people want games of chance, I'll play along.
The only problem with that is we need to roll as we pick because positions could vary. We could do it by round though. After the first round, roll and everyone picked in that round has to use the year rolled.

For the record, I still prefer a straight-up, short era draft. But if people want games of chance, I'll play along.

We've done these, and they're good, but I'd really prefer to try something new this time. Join the bandwagon, Eephus!

I'd rather not do the rolling thing but I won't fight it if that's the majority's preference.

For the record, I still prefer a straight-up, short era draft. But if people want games of chance, I'll play along.

We've done these, and they're good, but I'd really prefer to try something new this time. Join the bandwagon, Eephus!
The way I see it, baseball IS a game of chance if you have a player that is inconsistent... if you have a player that delivers every year, no worries on the dice roll.

I would like to join this and am done for whatever but am intrigued by the idea of the dice roll for all time players.

The way I see it, baseball IS a game of chance if you have a player that is inconsistent... if you have a player that delivers every year, no worries on the dice roll.
Excellent point, my good man.

I am intrigued by DiceRoll X ... my question is this: how are the first- through sixth-best seasons determined? WIS salary? Drafter determines best seasons? Something else?

I am intrigued by DiceRoll X ... my question is this: how are the first- through sixth-best seasons determined? WIS salary? Drafter determines best seasons? Something else?

I think either one of those are fine. Drafter determines would be a little more complicated, but would give you more control over your player.

To best approximate a true baseball season - where essentially, you dont know what type of season you will get for a guy - these are my suggestions:

Have the owner pick the span of seasons to be used, at their discretion.

For batters, use at least a 7 year stretch of concecutive seasons. For pitchers, use a 5+ year consecutive stretch. I say at least because if a player had 11 out of 12 great seasons and one dud, he should be valued over someone with the same one dud but in only 7 seasons.

Then, roll your dice to see which season you get.

If we want, we can have some mulligan, an injury mulligan (or not) - just some thoughts.

Just joined WIS for a trial "mini season".

:hookline....

To best approximate a true baseball season - where essentially, you dont know what type of season you will get for a guy - these are my suggestions:Have the owner pick the span of seasons to be used, at their discretion.For batters, use at least a 7 year stretch of concecutive seasons. For pitchers, use a 5+ year consecutive stretch. I say at least because if a player had 11 out of 12 great seasons and one dud, he should be valued over someone with the same one dud but in only 7 seasons.Then, roll your dice to see which season you get.If we want, we can have some mulligan, an injury mulligan (or not) - just some thoughts.

Definitely have to make provisions for injured seasons, getting a low PA season could be a killer. Salery seems like the best way around that since PA's have a major influence on that.

To best approximate a true baseball season - where essentially, you dont know what type of season you will get for a guy - these are my suggestions:Have the owner pick the span of seasons to be used, at their discretion.For batters, use at least a 7 year stretch of concecutive seasons. For pitchers, use a 5+ year consecutive stretch. I say at least because if a player had 11 out of 12 great seasons and one dud, he should be valued over someone with the same one dud but in only 7 seasons.Then, roll your dice to see which season you get.If we want, we can have some mulligan, an injury mulligan (or not) - just some thoughts.

Definitely have to make provisions for injured seasons, getting a low PA season could be a killer. Salery seems like the best way around that since PA's have a major influence on that.
:confused: If we go with random seasons, WIS Salary is the simplest and most verifiable system for ranking player seasons. Anything else will raise the cluster potential of this format.

:link: If we go with random seasons, WIS Salary is the simplest and most verifiable system for ranking player seasons. Anything else will raise the cluster potential of this format.
I'm good with this. Only risk is an awesome season that has fewer ABs may be left behind. But, if we know that up front, we have nothing to ##### about.

Just joined WIS for a trial "mini season". :hookline....

You havn't experienced WIS until you have done SIM LIVE, FBG Style!

:rolleyes: If we go with random seasons, WIS Salary is the simplest and most verifiable system for ranking player seasons. Anything else will raise the cluster potential of this format.
But with pitchers, you run into the Eckersley problem. He has 5 elite closer seasons, none of which are anywhere near the top of his list in salary.I think the cluster potential of this format is high no matter what, and I'd rather be able to pick my own seasons if we did it.

I'm down with whatever but in real baseball injuries are a concern. Bad years are a concern. Don't pick a player who has off years and high spikes if you are risk averse... Just like real baseball. That is why I think the best approach is to have the owner pick which group of consecutive years - 5 or 7 for example - and then take your chances. Take a guy with consistently good seasons but no bad ones over 5 great years and two stinkers... Or shoot the moon if you prefer.

I'd be willing to track which seasons everyone picked on my spreadsheet to give us that flexibility. We can default to WIS salary if no years are provided.

I'm down with whatever but in real baseball injuries are a concern. Bad years are a concern. Don't pick a player who has off years and high spikes if you are risk averse... Just like real baseball. That is why I think the best approach is to have the owner pick which group of consecutive years - 5 or 7 for example - and then take your chances. Take a guy with consistently good seasons but no bad ones over 5 great years and two stinkers... Or shoot the moon if you prefer.

This definitly adds some randomness that I think we are sometimes missing, I think it might be fun.I am in for whatever everyone else wants. Just do me a favor lets not spend the next month discussing options. Lets get this things going. :lmao:

Go on...

This definitly adds some randomness that I think we are sometimes missing, I think it might be fun.

I am in for whatever everyone else wants. Just do me a favor lets not spend the next month discussing options. Lets get this things going. :lmao:

Whatever. Someone is going to have to break this down for me like I was a former cast member of the TV show Full House.

Go on...
For both simulated and in-season games, nerds like us can actually play our games out "live", allowing for substitutions, cues to have your guy try to steal a base, etc. It's fun when you're drunk and there's no BruceHost! It's a win-win!

This definitly adds some randomness that I think we are sometimes missing, I think it might be fun.

I am in for whatever everyone else wants. Just do me a favor lets not spend the next month discussing options. Lets get this things going. :shock:

Whatever. Someone is going to have to break this down for me like I was a former cast member of the TV show Full House.
Deej, it can be hard to understand, but I'll try. What they're wanting to do is have you pick 5 seasons and roll to determine which season you use. It makes this game of chance even more of a game of chance. Don't gamble, Deej, it's bad for you.

Oh, and HOW WOODE!

I am in for whatever everyone else wants. Just do me a favor lets not spend the next month discussing options. Lets get this things going. :excited:

Deej, it can be hard to understand, but I'll try. What they're wanting to do is have you pick 5 seasons and roll to determine which season you use. It makes this game of chance even more of a game of chance. Don't gamble, Deej, it's bad for you.

Oh, and HOW WOODE!

This ain't chance.

It's Baseball.

Ok, it's sorta like baseball in some ways. Kinda maybe. But not chance.

Except the dice roll.

But that just makes it more like baseball.

Go on...
For both simulated and in-season games, nerds like us can actually play our games out "live", allowing for substitutions, cues to have your guy try to steal a base, etc. It's fun when you're drunk and there's no BruceHost! It's a win-win!
Wow, :massiveerection:

I'm more than ready to lose to Koya in simlive. Let's get a move on people. :thumbdown:

I am in for whatever everyone else wants. Just do me a favor lets not spend the next month discussing options. Lets get this things going. :shrug:

Oh, and HOW WOODE!

This ain't chance.

It's Baseball.

Ok, it's sorta like baseball in some ways. Kinda maybe. But not chance.

Except the dice roll.

But that just makes it more like baseball.

oh.

oh yeah, I'm totally in...

and the diceroll sounds great... I just think we should be able to pick the season, as with some guys we might want the season with fewer ABs...

oh yeah, I'm totally in...and the diceroll sounds great... I just think we should be able to pick the season, as with some guys we might want the season with fewer ABs...

Massive surge in cluster potential

oh yeah, I'm totally in...and the diceroll sounds great... I just think we should be able to pick the season, as with some guys we might want the season with fewer ABs...

Massive surge in cluster potential
"LOTS OF TALENT LEFT" - LB44