What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NFL QB with Quick Releases? (1 Viewer)

No. 16

Footballguy
Just wondering who FBGs thought a release as quick as Marino's?

Marino has probable the quickest release in league history and allowed his WRs more time to get free.

Just wondering who FBGs thought a release as quick as Marino's?Marino has probable the quickest release in league history and allowed his WRs more time to get free.
I agree about Marino, but how does that give his WRs more time? If anything, it helped him avoid sacks.

Just wondering who FBGs thought a release as quick as Marino's?Marino has probable the quickest release in league history and allowed his WRs more time to get free.
I agree about Marino, but how does that give his WRs more time? If anything, it helped him avoid sacks.
I would guess that a quick release would allow a QB to wait longer before throwing the ball thus giving the play more time to develop and the receiver more time in his route.

I would guess that a quick release would allow a QB to wait longer before throwing the ball thus giving the play more time to develop and the receiver more time in his route.
Yes, to both. He can wait longer for routes to develop and avoid sacks.Where does Brees, Vince Young, and Rivers fit?

I seem to recall an article somewhere in the last few years that had release times for some QBs in it, and I want to say that Bulger was up there with Marino in release time. After a lot of googling I haven't been able to find the article though.

Cutler has a nice tight, compact motion.

He can also throw on the move very well.

Last edited by a moderator:
I seem to recall an article somewhere in the last few years that had release times for some QBs in it, and I want to say that Bulger was up there with Marino in release time. After a lot of googling I haven't been able to find the article though.
I want to say one of the stat geek sites (footbablloutsiders type) had this information.

Some may be close but no one has a release like Marino.
It was almost superhuman the way the ball seemingly jumped out of his hand...just unreal.Marino was something special.
:towelwave: I'm getting old for sure - I now talk football with people who never saw Marino in his hey day... As a Jets fan he was the Devil. But, DAMN, he was the best I ever saw regularly as a pure passer.... Just Insane.

Some may be close but no one has a release like Marino.
It was almost superhuman the way the ball seemingly jumped out of his hand...just unreal.Marino was something special.
:towelwave: I'm getting old for sure - I now talk football with people who never saw Marino in his hey day... As a Jets fan he was the Devil. But, DAMN, he was the best I ever saw regularly as a pure passer.... Just Insane.
Those Jets game with Ken O'Brien were amazing to watch. Talk about barn burners.

Romo is definitely up there.

I think playing in the Arena League helped Kurt Warner in this regard, and...

he may have very well handed down some of that knowledge and technique to Marc Bulger when they were together in St. Louis.

Bulger's release is Marino-esque.
:goodposting: A few years ago on Monday Night Football they did a split screen of Bulger side-by-side with Marino in his prime. Bulger got the ball out about .3 seconds quicker than Marino in his prime. AMAZING!I had picked Bulger off of waivers and thought I'd sell him high but after seeing that I kept him and he's been my starter ever since. He's had injury issues but his release is one of the quickest in NFL history.Another QB who hasn't been mentioned is Derrick Anderson who has one of the quickest releases in the game today. The second he took over for Charlie Frye the line quit giving up sacks. It wasn't just because the line was/is that good. DA did the same thing the year before when he took over for Frye. His release is astounding.I think the discussion of a QB's release is long overdue. I feek a quick release is one of the best determinents of success for UNKNOWN QBs, if given a chance to start like Bulger/DA/Romo, etc. If a QB change is made, pay attention to the release of the guy taking over. Could very well be a case of a, Marc Bulger, Derick Anderson, Tony Romo. Excellent topic!

Bulger's release is Marino-esque.
:bag: A few years ago on Monday Night Football they did a split screen of Bulger side-by-side with Marino in his prime. Bulger got the ball out about .3 seconds quicker than Marino in his prime.

AMAZING!

I had picked Bulger off of waivers and thought I'd sell him high but after seeing that I kept him and he's been my starter ever since. He's had injury issues but his release is one of the quickest in NFL history.

Another QB who hasn't been mentioned is Derrick Anderson who has one of the quickest releases in the game today. The second he took over for Charlie Frye the line quit giving up sacks. It wasn't just because the line was/is that good. DA did the same thing the year before when he took over for Frye. His release is astounding.

I think the discussion of a QB's release is long overdue. I feek a quick release is one of the best determinents of success for UNKNOWN QBs, if given a chance to start like Bulger/DA/Romo, etc.

If a QB change is made, pay attention to the release of the guy taking over. Could very well be a case of a, Marc Bulger, Derick Anderson, Tony Romo.

Excellent topic!
I bet that is what I was remembering, and why I couldn't find it from googling.

Users who are viewing this thread