Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

safariplanet

Who is at fault in this car collision scenario?

83 posts in this topic

A car and SUV both approach a four-way intersection from opposite directions.

The road they are travelling on is perpendicular to a two-lane street.

Each vehicle is equidistant to the intersection.

The road's signal lights are green for each driver.

SUV goes to the left turn lane and slows down to yield to Car, but upon seeing Car's right blinker turn on, SUV turns left into the left-hand lane of the two-lane street.

Car turns right at the same time into the same left lane.

Who is at fault?

tough one, but probably the car turning left, who should just yield until there is no chance of collision.

Why would the SUV even risk the car taking the left lane? Wait two seconds. What's the rush?

I thought rule #1 in turning was to not hopscotch lanes

I thought rule #1 in turning was to not hopscotch lanes

still, if you are turning left you need to yield. i would say that trumps any rule about turning into the correct lane. why try to make the turn at the exact same time as the car turning right?

Driver's handbook in CA states a car may turn into any lane "which it is safe to do so." Hopscotching permitted.

Whoever's turning left has to yield. That's rule 1. Going back to the time of the ancient mariners, if he's turning left he'd see the red port light on the other car's driver side and would have to yield. The car turning right would see the green starboard light on the other car's passenger side.

Are you homeless now?

A car and SUV both approach a four-way intersection from opposite directions.The road they are travelling on is perpendicular to a two-lane street. Each vehicle is equidistant to the intersection. The road's signal lights are green for each driver.SUV goes to the left turn lane and slows down to yield to Car, but upon seeing Car's right blinker turn on, SUV turns left into the left-hand lane of the two-lane street.Car turns right at the same time into the same left lane.Who is at fault?

The SUV since the vehicle that has to cross the least amount of lanes has the right of way. The SUV is crossing both the parallel (straight ahead) and the perpendicular lane.

Are you homeless now?

No, I'm back to living in my apartment.

SUV. I hate those left hand turners that think they have the right away when I'm turning right. Then give me a dirty look when they have to stop for me.

The SUV, although the cop on the scene would assign some blame to the car

Why would the SUV even risk the car taking the left lane? Wait two seconds. What's the rush?

:popcorn: Driver's etiquette has been completely thrown out the window these days. Aside from idiots using their cell phones and obviously impairing their ability to drive safe, everyone tries to get places one second faster.The one move I hate the most is people turning into a two lane road where you occupy one lane and they cross over your lane to get to the other because no one is in that lane. It is close enough that you literally pass them while they are just getting into their lane, but they think it is safe to cut in front of you because they end up in the other lane.The other thing that really kills me is people that bolt in front of you with barely enough room that you have to stop behind them when there is nothing but open road behind you. Then of course they drive slower than you even though they were in such a hurry that they didn't even come close to stopping at the light or stop sign.It seems like almost every day that I am driving, at least one person cuts me off.

Not quite enough information. I need a diagram or something showing me exactly where the accident happened. If the SUV was only partly into the turn, then I'd say the majority of the fault is with the SUV. If the SUV had completed the turn, then the majority of the fault is with the car.

Not quite enough information. I need a diagram or something showing me exactly where the accident happened. If the SUV was only partly into the turn, then I'd say the majority of the fault is with the SUV. If the SUV had completed the turn, then the majority of the fault is with the car.

A car and SUV both approach a four-way intersection from opposite directions.

The road they are travelling on is perpendicular to a two-lane street.

Each vehicle is equidistant to the intersection.

The road's signal lights are green for each driver.

SUV goes to the left turn lane and slows down to yield to Car, but upon seeing Car's right blinker turn on, SUV turns left into the left-hand lane of the two-lane street.

Car turns right at the same time into the same left lane.

Who is at fault?

SUV is at fault here, no question. Left turns always yield unless otherwise signed.

well which one where you?

My money's on him being the SUV since we got the "upon seeing the cars right blinker he..." explanation.

What was the race and gender of each driver?

This is similar to a car traveling north on a 2 lane road. And 1 car travelling in the south bound lane.

Both cars approach an intersection and both are making left hand turns another car traveling North bound goes onto the shoulder to go around the car turning left. However, the car traveling South makes his turn as the car is going around the North bound car turning left.

The accident is actually the guy going around the turning car. We all do it but technically it's illegal.

ETA: This is probably nothing like the OP question

Yep, SUV's fault. The car turning right had right of way. He can turn into whichever lane he wants.

The guy turning left has to assume the car could take either lane. One thing that I think is poor driving is when a car makes a turn and doesn't get into the lane he needs or intends to be in right away. For example, if that car making the right was then going to make a left hand turn just up the street, on making his turn he should get into the left hand lane (as he did)... not get into the right lane, then try to change lanes immediately.

Quick reply based on very little information provided:

SUV (turning left) is 50-60% at fault

Car (turning right) is 40-50% at fault

Of course it all depends on a lot of information that was not provided, most importantly the state where the accident happened, because the rules of the road will certainly come into play. I'd also want to know the point of impact on each vehicle, cell phone usage, etc.

The guy turning left has to assume the car could take either lane. One thing that I think is poor driving is when a car makes a turn and doesn't get into the lane he needs or intends to be in right away. For example, if that car making the right was then going to make a left hand turn just up the street, on making his turn he should get into the left hand lane (as he did)... not get into the right lane, then try to change lanes immediately.

The law could vary from state to state, but I know that in Ohio, PA and NJ it's illegal to make a right hand turn into any lane but the nearest lane. If you make a right hand turn and turn into the far lane, you can be ticketed for an improper lane change.

My money's on him being the SUV since we got the "upon seeing the cars right blinker he..." explanation.
What am I missing here? The car WAS turning right, his right would be the SUV's left. So the right blinker was correct.The SUV is at fault.FYI: I was out til 1am last night at Summerfest and could definitely be lost here.

What am I missing here? The car WAS turning right, his right would be the SUV's left. So the right blinker was correct.The SUV is at fault.FYI: I was out til 1am last night at Summerfest and could definitely be lost here.
If he was in the car, he would have said "upon seeing the SUV's left blinker" since his point of view would have been from the car.

Could also go with the old standby: "Whichever car has front end damage is at fault." Betting it'd be the SUV in this scenario.

Who is at fault?

You probably are :lmao:

I'd say the SUV. Ballsy move to left turn just by seeing someone with their blinker on.

Yes this actually happened to me yesterday minus a collision, While I was turning I noticed the old broad's car wheels not turning out of the corner of my eye so I figured she would pull something stupid. FYI if I hadn't recognized the situation and hit the brakes I would've been there first. She just wasn't going to give me the time of day.

I'm just going to say "it's your fault".

SUV driver not only is at fault, but should get their license suspended forever for being an idiot driver.

Yes this actually happened to me yesterday minus a collision, While I was turning I noticed the old broad's car wheels not turning out of the corner of my eye so I figured she would pull something stupid. FYI if I hadn't recognized the situation and hit the brakes I would've been there first. She just wasn't going to give me the time of day.

So you were the SUV?

So you were in the SUV?

I'm glad you were alert enough to prevent the accident you would have caused. :thumbup:

did you learn your lesson?

The law could vary from state to state, but I know that in Ohio, PA and NJ it's illegal to make a right hand turn into any lane but the nearest lane. If you make a right hand turn and turn into the far lane, you can be ticketed for an improper lane change.
Nebraska Driver's manual (pdf)

Looks to me to be the same in Nebraska (see page 52 of the pdf file above). And for the record, I *hate* drivers that "swing it wide" on a right-hand turn (when I'm turning left). I got a lane, you got a lane--stay in it and drive, you idiots.

ETA: Oh, so in my state, SUV is *not* at fault here.

I was going to say the SUV until I saw that the other driver was an old woman. The old woman is always to blame.

I was going to say the SUV until I saw that the other driver was an old woman. The old woman is always to blame.

<_< I always assume the smaller car is at fault. Both would work in this case.