What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Chris Johnson Hype machine (2 Viewers)

simey said:
You can have all the speed and moves in the world, but if you can't get yards after contact then your effectiveness will be limited in the NFL. That's why I think people touting Chris Johnson as the next great thing should be cautious. He has a lot of talent and potential, but he's built slight with a very low BMI. IMO he's more of a gadget player than a guy who has the potential to develop into a Westbrook or Tomlinson type of back.
Johnson is hard to bring down, and it isn't because he is a bruiser, it's because he runs low, and he just keeps on moving. When he gets into a crowd of big tacklers, he disappears and then he just pops out of the crowd and takes off. He is like houdini. He is good at YAC as well. He wasn't just great at pass catching as a RB, he also lined up as a slot receiver sometimes.
sounds like a Quentin Griffin thread from 2004
:rolleyes:
Quentin Griffin was slow for his size.
i haven't seen enough of Chris Johnson to have a strong opinion, i was just referring to the bolded comment. the "small enough to hide in the pile" argument was played when referring to Griffin too. it was bunk then, and it's bunk now. that doesn't happen in the NFL.

i haven't seen enough of Chris Johnson to have a strong opinion, i was just referring to the bolded comment. the "small enough to hide in the pile" argument was played when referring to Griffin too. it was bunk then, and it's bunk now. that doesn't happen in the NFL.
I was obviously referring to Johnson in college being that he hasn't played a game in the NFL yet, and he would disappear in crowds of tacklers, and then squirt out of the pile and take off. That isn't an argument, that's a fact.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was obviously referring to Johnson in college being that he hasn't played a game in the NFL yet, and he would disappear in crowds of tacklers, and then squirt out of the pile and take off. That isn't an argument, that's a fact.
Maybe you couldnt see him while watching on TV, but i doubt the defense was having a huge problem with it. So yes, it is more of an argument than fact, unless you were playing Linebacker for the opposing team.

Maybe you couldnt see him while watching on TV, but i doubt the defense was having a huge problem with it. So yes, it is more of an argument than fact, unless you were playing Linebacker for the opposing team.
Who cares? Either way he got caught up in a knot of defenders and squirted out for a TD. One way his small size helped him, the other way he is just awesome. Win/win.

simey said:
LHUCKS said:
Please continue with the Johson = Barry Sanders comments...tia.
Comments? You are the only one in this thread to say that.
A) i wasn't saying it, I implied that others wereB) I was referring to other threads
A) But no others were saying it. She is right, and you are the only one in this thread that said it, and the only one in this thread that even mentioned Barry Sanders at all. B) You said "Please continue with the Johson (it's Johnson by the way) = Barry Sanders comments...tia", and you said that in this thread. You never made any reference to other threads.You were being a tool.

simey said:
LHUCKS said:
A) i wasn't saying it, I implied that others wereB) I was referring to other threads
A) But no others were saying it. She is right, and you are the only one in this thread that said it, and the only one in this thread that even mentioned Barry Sanders at all. B) You said "Please continue with the Johson (it's Johnson by the way) = Barry Sanders comments...tia", and you said that in this thread. You never made any reference to other threads.You were being a tool.
you new here?

simey said:
LHUCKS said:
A) But no others were saying it. She is right, and you are the only one in this thread that said it, and the only one in this thread that even mentioned Barry Sanders at all.
What is the title of this thread? ...and try to leave your immature insults to yourself.

simey said:
LHUCKS said:
This may sound like a crazy idea, but perhaps you should post your thoughts in....oh, I don't know.....those other threads?
or refer to other threads that actually apply to the title of THIS thread.this thread is about overhyping Chris Johnson...i'm pretty sure referecing other threads that compare Johnson to Barry Sanders are in play here.

What is the title of this thread? ...and try to leave your immature insults to yourself.
The Title of this thread is "The Chris Johnson Hype Machine". What does that have to do with the fact that you are the only one in this thread that associated Johnson to Barry Sanders? Telling you that you were being a tool is not a immature insult, although you still probably reported me.

or refer to other threads that actually apply to the title of THIS thread.this thread is about overhyping Chris Johnson...i'm pretty sure referecing other threads that compare Johnson to Barry Sanders are in play here.
You didn't refer to other threads.

simey said:
LHUCKS said:
This may sound like a crazy idea, but perhaps you should post your thoughts in....oh, I don't know.....those other threads?
:rolleyes: Then why not actually link to relevant posts in other threads?

man these boards are taking a real hit with all the sophomoric babbles back and forth...just gets so freakin old....

Sirius NFL Radio was at Titans camp today, with Solomon Wilcots and Jim Miller reporting. They couldn't praise Johnson enough. They pretty much confirmed all the recent reports/comments we've been reading. I edited the subtitle to read accordingly. I'm buying into the hype and am getting this guy on my team!

I still don't understand what the issue with Lendale white is... Obviously he isn't a super stud, but that fatty is the best thing on that offense.
:shrug:
How so? who was the MVP of that offense last season? Lose Vince young, team does fine, lose a WR, team does fine, Lose Lendale and you are in trouble.Lendale will still see more carries and have more yards than Johnson this season, probably more TD's as well, but please go on....

Buffaloes said:
Sirius NFL Radio was at Titans camp today, with Solomon Wilcots and Jim Miller reporting. They couldn't praise Johnson enough. They pretty much confirmed all the recent reports/comments we've been reading. I edited the subtitle to read accordingly. I'm buying into the hype and am getting this guy on my team!
:unsure: I'm starting to think I'm going to have to take him higher than I first thought.
I heard the same thing from the Sirius teams at the other camps. All I have heard is praise for Felix Jones, Kevin Smith, Rashard Mendenthal, and Forte so either all of these guys are good or teams like to say good things about their draft picks.

I still don't understand what the issue with Lendale white is... Obviously he isn't a super stud, but that fatty is the best thing on that offense.
:unsure:
How so? who was the MVP of that offense last season? Lose Vince young, team does fine, lose a WR, team does fine, Lose Lendale and you are in trouble.Lendale will still see more carries and have more yards than Johnson this season, probably more TD's as well, but please go on....
I don't think Johnson was drafted to replace Lendale, so Lendale probably will get more rushing yards and rushing TD's. I'm under the impression Johnson was drafted to make the Titans offense more dynamic, and he brings a lot to the table. He is pretty much a jack of all trades, and he will help stretch the field, and actually help Lendale's and Young's stats. It seems like a win win for all.

A little more fodder from the AFC South blog @ ESPN.com

So far, Titans' Johnson looking like a weapon

August 4, 2008 7:31 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's Paul Kuharsky

NASHVILLE -- I still want to see him in some preseason games, but I've already seen enough of Chris Johnson to be impressed. If he stays healthy and catches on reasonably quickly, he can give the Titans dimensions they've long lacked and he can do it in two ways -- as a speedster at running back or lined up as a receiver.

The most striking thing in training camp practices has been how difficult it is for defenders to get a good lick on him.

"I don't want anybody to get a big hit on me, but I know they're going to try to give me their best shot," Johnson said. "I like to make people miss and break tackles. And I'm prepared to deliver a big blow back."

At some practices, defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz screams "square him up" more often than anything else, and he's not talking about LenDale White or Chris Henry.

"It's hard," Schwartz said. "Once the pads have been on, guys have been lighting some people up pretty good -- except for him. And it's not that they are not trying, it's just that he's slippery. He can glide, he can cut in a hurry and it puts such more stress on your defense as far as angles and things like that. You can't be sloppy at all when you have an explosive player like that."

This morning, Johnson took a pitch and went to the left sideline, turned the corner in a flash and was gone, with no pursuers closing to the sideline fast enough to be able to get him out of bounds. In a lighter practice in the afternoon he collected a little looped pass, sidestepped pursuing linebacker David Thornton, and ate up a chunk of yardage.

But we knew he was a blazer. I didn't imagine he would be so hard for a defender to get to when they were facing him up and I wasn't sure what to expect between the tackles, where he's looked as good as he has on the outside.

"His vision is good and there are not a lot of guys squaring him up and getting real good hits on him,'' offensive coordinator Mike Heimerdinger told The Tennessean. "And when he carried it at East Carolina, he ran between the tackles there and he wasn't playing against the Sisters of the Poor. I don't have any question that he can carry the ball and make good runs.''

Said fullback Ahmard Hall: "Everybody knows he's fast. But he's so deceptively fast because he's so smooth and fluid and just makes guys miss. Once I make my block, if I'm not in there I'm watching him and it's amazing to watch. I can't wait to see what he does in a real game. You're not going to get a clean hit on him. He has great balance, he's going to slide off of it or he'll make you miss in the hole."

He's still stumbles now and then -- he dropped an option pitch today, turning the play into what one observer called "no longer an option." And it's hard to know how well he's soaking up the playbook.

If Johnson continues to improve, though, his role could grow and the amount of touches the Titans want to get him could eat away at the workload of White.

White's not worried.

He's quick to remind people that he peacefully co-existed in the same backfield with a pretty good player at USC. A guy named Reggie Bush.

The difference? Chris Henry is an awful RB and always has been. Johnson was the Titans' do-over after realizing their mistake with the Henry pick and Lendale White Pick.
I fixed that for you.At the risk of upsetting the masses I am still Picking Johnson to outperform Dmac this year.

You can have all the speed and moves in the world, but if you can't get yards after contact then your effectiveness will be limited in the NFL. That's why I think people touting Chris Johnson as the next great thing should be cautious. He has a lot of talent and potential, but he's built slight with a very low BMI. IMO he's more of a gadget player than a guy who has the potential to develop into a Westbrook or Tomlinson type of back.
Johnson is hard to bring down, and it isn't because he is a bruiser, it's because he runs low, and he just keeps on moving. When he gets into a crowd of big tacklers, he disappears and then he just pops out of the crowd and takes off. He is like houdini. He is good at YAC as well. He wasn't just great at pass catching as a RB, he also lined up as a slot receiver sometimes.
:yes:
MJD down?

:yes:
:unsure: , please.

Buffaloes said:
:shock: I'm starting to think I'm going to have to take him higher than I first thought.
I got him in the 9th round in a draft over the weekend, but his stock is probably rising...I'd say he should almost definitely be there in the 8th... If you wanted to be absolutely certain, then you might want to consider him in the 7th...

:thumbup:
MJD down?
MJD is the exception not the rule, besides, as far as body type goes, MJD and Johnson have nothing in common

Chunky Soup said:
:bowtie:
:lmao: , please.
The Titans offensive MVP last season was Michael Roos, followed by David Stewart.

I'm all aboard.

In my big money PPR dynasty league, I just traded Gore, Felix Jones, Colts D, 3rd rounder in 2009 for MJD, Chris Johnson, Vikigns D, 2nd in 2009. Johnson was a BIG part of why I did this trade. Rolling the dice... :bowtie:

I'm all aboard.In my big money PPR dynasty league, I just traded Gore, Felix Jones, Colts D, 3rd rounder in 2009 for MJD, Chris Johnson, Vikigns D, 2nd in 2009. Johnson was a BIG part of why I did this trade. Rolling the dice... :rolleyes:
Well, at least you improved defensively and upped a draft pick. But I would take Gore & Jones over MJD and Johnson any day of the week. Being a dynasty I can see why Gore and his injury concerns might make MJD more appealing. But I don't see it as an upgrade for you.

I'm all aboard.In my big money PPR dynasty league, I just traded Gore, Felix Jones, Colts D, 3rd rounder in 2009 for MJD, Chris Johnson, Vikigns D, 2nd in 2009. Johnson was a BIG part of why I did this trade. Rolling the dice... :no:
Well, at least you improved defensively and upped a draft pick. But I would take Gore & Jones over MJD and Johnson any day of the week. Being a dynasty I can see why Gore and his injury concerns might make MJD more appealing. But I don't see it as an upgrade for you.
I disagree with Switz, i would take MJD over Gore, and CJ over Jones.

It will be interesting to see how he fares in the regular season. No doubt he's a phenomenal athlete. His combine numbers were monstrous. He was productive in college last season and his timed speed absolutely translates to the football field. All that said, I still harbor some doubts about his ability to live up to this kind of hype. I didn't always see the elusiveness that these articles mention and he doesn't run hard despite showing good ability to keep his balance after hits to the legs. There's something slightly awkward and unnatural about the way he runs. I'll need to see some results before I start buying the hype. I do think he's a good backup RB in PPR redrafts and a decent RB prospect in PPR dynasty leagues. It will be fun to see how he does once he faces some live bullets.

I'm all aboard.In my big money PPR dynasty league, I just traded Gore, Felix Jones, Colts D, 3rd rounder in 2009 for MJD, Chris Johnson, Vikigns D, 2nd in 2009. Johnson was a BIG part of why I did this trade. Rolling the dice... :lmao:
That's why you lose in FF :wall:

I'm all aboard.In my big money PPR dynasty league, I just traded Gore, Felix Jones, Colts D, 3rd rounder in 2009 for MJD, Chris Johnson, Vikigns D, 2nd in 2009. Johnson was a BIG part of why I did this trade. Rolling the dice... :bag:
That's why you lose in FF :cry:
I can see an argument for either, but trust me, i am right, and you are wrong. :wall:

It will be interesting to see how he fares in the regular season. No doubt he's a phenomenal athlete. His combine numbers were monstrous. He was productive in college last season and his timed speed absolutely translates to the football field. All that said, I still harbor some doubts about his ability to live up to this kind of hype. I didn't always see the elusiveness that these articles mention and he doesn't run hard despite showing good ability to keep his balance after hits to the legs. There's something slightly awkward and unnatural about the way he runs. I'll need to see some results before I start buying the hype. I do think he's a good backup RB in PPR redrafts and a decent RB prospect in PPR dynasty leagues. It will be fun to see how he does once he faces some live bullets.
Funny, I've been perplexed about the lack of hype re: Chris Johnson before the last two weeks. He was flying way too far under the radar before training camp. Just take a look at ADP in dynasty drafts. He's gone way behind Matt Forte and Kevin Smith, and in many leagues behind Felix Jones and Ray Rice. I've even seen guys like Steve Slaton and Ryan Torain drafted ahead of him.It's seems to me like the hype has only started once the teammates, coaches, and beat writers got a chance to see him in action.

Funny, I've been perplexed about the lack of hype re: Chris Johnson before the last two weeks. He was flying way too far under the radar before training camp. Just take a look at ADP in dynasty drafts. He's gone way behind Matt Forte and Kevin Smith, and in many leagues behind Felix Jones and Ray Rice. I've even seen guys like Steve Slaton and Ryan Torain drafted ahead of him.It's seems to me like the hype has only started once the teammates, coaches, and beat writers got a chance to see him in action.
I would still select Rice before Johnson. I think Johnson will give folks Fantasy Points this year. Rice IMHO could wind up a long term franchise back.

Let me tell you that if CJ gives folks points this yr then he will be a franchise back. WHY?

Fisher wont play him unless he earns it. If he earns it Fisher will keep playing him and be loyal. Fisher tends to be too loyal sometimes IMO. So if CJ is a good pick for this yr then he is for next too...

Chunky Soup said:
:thumbdown:
MJD down?
i don't know. i'm talking about the argument being bad, not the RB. MJD isn't effective because he "hides in the pile"

Buffaloes said:
I hope this allows Lendale to slide to me even further in drafts.Please continue with the Johson = Barry Sanders comments...tia.
My thoughts also, keep the Johnson hype going, I take White later with his 1000 yards and 8/9 TD's
I think White and CJ can coexist and thrive just like Deuce and Bush 2 years ago.
Exactly. I think a two back system is a great one to have.

Buffaloes said:
Buffaloes said:
I hope this allows Lendale to slide to me even further in drafts.

My thoughts also, keep the Johnson hype going, I take White later with his 1000 yards and 8/9 TD's
I think White and CJ can coexist and thrive just like Deuce and Bush 2 years ago.
Not only is it a 2 back system but it seems to me as if they will have 2 different roles.
That's what I meant by a two back system. One back that does one thing, and another back that does another.

Buffaloes said:
Buffaloes said:

Not only is it a 2 back system but it seems to me as if they will have 2 different roles.
That's what I meant by a two back system. One back that does one thing, and another back that does another.
On the same Sirius show, Lendale was interviewed. He said he was excited to have CJ around. He said there will be plenty of carries to go around, and compared the situation to he and Reggie Bush in college, where they both put up monster yards and TDs. In PPR, I can see both of these guys being RB2 territory come mid-year end, once the Titans O hits their stride.

Buffaloes said:
Buffaloes said:

On the same Sirius show, Lendale was interviewed. He said he was excited to have CJ around. He said there will be plenty of carries to go around, and compared the situation to he and Reggie Bush in college, where they both put up monster yards and TDs. In PPR, I can see both of these guys being RB2 territory come mid-year end, once the Titans O hits their stride.
I agree with this. I think Lendale is a bit safer, and CJ has a higher ceiling but in the end they could very well end up with around the same value (lower end RB2 this year imo).

What is Kevin Mawae most looking forward to seeing in the Titans preseason opener?

Improving the offense and execution are keys, but beyond that, the Titans want to find out exactly what they have in Johnson, whose 4.24 speed has translated well to practice field production.

“More than anything, I’m eager to see Chris Johnson under the lights,” center Kevin Mawae said. “He’s shown flashes of how great he can be during practices, especially during training camp. But I would like to see him under game-type conditions when the real bullets are flying so to speak, because he seems to be something special.”

Likewise, Johnson himself is ready to see how he measures up to real NFL competition.

“I’m real eager to see,” Johnson said. “In practice, I’ve been doing real good, and I’m eager to see how it translates into [a game]. I’m confident right now and ready to go.”

This is all very encouraging -- no question he has talent and they are looking at opportuities to use him in games. I am sure he will provide one or two highlights this season.

But has the Titans' offensive philosophy changed drastically in the offseason? We can all bash Chris Brown, but he brought the same kind of complimentary skill set to the table vis a vis Lendale White and opened up with a monster game netting a career-high 175 yards on the ground.

Many (including myself) thought this was opening the door for a full-blown RBBC. But once Lendale White began to show any sign of life, they pretty much relegated Brown to the bench. His injury prone nature didn't help, to be sure, but it's not as if Lendale was lighting up the world in the next 4 or 5 games. It wasn't until midseason that he started putting up 100 yard+ games. So the Titans just opted to leave that complimentary skill set on the bench in favor of a more N-S pounding running game.

So bottom line, my question is, despite the talent CJ has, are the Titans actually going to be using him in a way that will produce consistent fantasy points, or will they use him situationally to shake up opposing Ds, keep Lendale fresh as the sesaon goes on, but continue to feed White 250+ carries?

My feeling -- especailly with an improved blocking line -- is the latter, but am open to being enlightened.

This is all very encouraging -- no question he has talent and they are looking at opportuities to use him in games. I am sure he will provide one or two highlights this season.But has the Titans' offensive philosophy changed drastically in the offseason? We can all bash Chris Brown, but he brought the same kind of complimentary skill set to the table vis a vis Lendale White and opened up with a monster game netting a career-high 175 yards on the ground. Many (including myself) thought this was opening the door for a full-blown RBBC. But once Lendale White began to show any sign of life, they pretty much relegated Brown to the bench. His injury prone nature didn't help, to be sure, but it's not as if Lendale was lighting up the world in the next 4 or 5 games. It wasn't until midseason that he started putting up 100 yard+ games. So the Titans just opted to leave that complimentary skill set on the bench in favor of a more N-S pounding running game.So bottom line, my question is, despite the talent CJ has, are the Titans actually going to be using him in a way that will produce consistent fantasy points, or will they use him situationally to shake up opposing Ds, keep Lendale fresh as the sesaon goes on, but continue to feed White 250+ carries?My feeling -- especailly with an improved blocking line -- is the latter, but am open to being enlightened.
Sorry friend, no offense meant. BUT, you are completely wrong. Brown was relegated to the bench due to his injuries every single time he was on the field. He is the most injury prone RB I have ever seen. Every carry was a nick for him.

I think he's a pure change of pace back. Check out his attempt to lower his shoulder at 0:55 in the following clip:

Power is critical for an every down back and that's one area where Johnson falls short. He's not a powerful runner. I think this limitation will prevent him from ever living up to the Westbrook comparisons. That doesn't mean he can't play a major role on offense. Guys like Charlie Garner and Reggie Bush have put up good seasons despite not being traditional featured backs. Johnson has that potential if everything works out for him.

Right now I'm in wait-and-see mode. No doubt he's a phenomenal athlete. There are some risk factors though. It should be fun to see what happens.

I think he's a pure change of pace back. Check out his attempt to lower his shoulder at 0:55 in the following clip:

LOL.... no, he fell down immediately. Everytime he tried to run over someone in that video he went down. Maybe he fell forward, but he never knocked someone down and kept going. He mostly tried to spin out of a hit, which is fine, but more difficult in the NFL.Guys got speed... but is he Eric Metcalf? Or Westbrook?

He does a nice job of avoiding leg tackles. I don't think he fares as well against clean hits to his upper body. That's what that clip was meant to show.

Users who are viewing this thread