What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Chris Johnson Hype machine (3 Viewers)

So, CJ3 proved he was a match for the Minny D. What are expectations for him @Baltimore? Is he still a must start there?

7 Members: fo shizzle, Ruffrodys05, Fear & Loathing, Tackling Dummies, dirtywaters20, howo5, Kovax

I dont remember ever opening this thread and not seeing Fear and Loathing's name. :D

Baltimore scares me.. not in terms of not scoring well.. just in terms of our hero getting out of that game healthy. The BMI folks will come here in droves if something were to happen. Make no mistake about it..Baltimore punishes people.

Chris Johnson has 77 touches and hasn't had a serious injury (two minor leg issues he was able to come back into the game for). Meanwhile, Mendenhall - a guy who was put out as an example of someone with the build necessary for an NFL running back - has 12 touches and was just put on IR for a fractured shoulder.

One some level, perhaps CJ's slighter build bodes well for him since he's getting less direct hits and not trying to butt heads with Ray Lewis up the middle. (Much like LT has had better longevity because he is slippery and doesn't take big hits vs. guys like LJ, Peterson, and Gore who expose themselves more).

So, CJ3 proved he was a match for the Minny D. What are expectations for him @Baltimore? Is he still a must start there?
Yes.
Agreed. His two best games have been against the "toughest" defenses they have faced -- Jacksonville and Minn. The other games against Cincy and Houston, CJ only got yardage while Lendale played much more of a role pounding the ball between the tackles. In the Jax and Minn games Fisher seemed to increase CJ's role by getting him involved with early carries and keeping Lendale on the bench to start the game. I think Fisher realizes that when Tenn is playing a tough, fast defense he needs to rely on CJ more and get him involved. (i.e. get the ball in the hands of his more talented back so he can make plays and get the offense going).I am starting him with confidence this week.

Last edited by a moderator:
skillz said:
Ruffrodys05 said:
Yes.
Agreed. His two best games have been against the "toughest" defenses they have faced -- Jacksonville and Minn. The other games against Cincy and Houston, CJ only got yardage while Lendale played much more of a role pounding the ball between the tackles. In the Jax and Minn games Fisher seemed to increase CJ's role by getting him involved with early carries and keeping Lendale on the bench to start the game. I think Fisher realizes that when Tenn is playing a tough, fast defense he needs to rely on CJ more and get him involved. (i.e. get the ball in the hands of his more talented back so he can make plays and get the offense going).I am starting him with confidence this week.
:goodposting: I'm also a bit scared as Balt's D is faster than Min's, but Balt's passing D I think is better than Minn's so Tenn will have to run the ball more. Tennespeed may not have the success he found with Minn (2TD) but he will get the opportunity to.

skillz said:
Ruffrodys05 said:
Yes.
Through week 4, the ravens have the #2 rushing D in the league. However, the teams they've played have all been in the bottom 1/3 of the league in rushing offense...Should be interesting to see how this week plays out. Against the Vikings, the Titans had very little success rushing up the middle with Lenwhale, but a decent amount of success with CJ on the edges. My opinion is that it'll play out much like it did against the Vikings. Look for CJ to have ~90 total yards, and 1 TD.

FWIW just called in to the TItans Radio / Jeff Fisher show and got put through to Fisher:

All paraphrased as I was driving while talking:

Q: Last week Chris Johnson saw increased workload including Goalline work. First, was this a trend or merely a response to the speedy MIN D... and second, do you guys plan to utilize Johnson's exceptional hands/speed by increasing his role in the passing game?

A: - Johnson does have good hands and has already caught a few passes this year. He could see that increasing depending on the gameplan....the goalline work last week wasn't exactly a trend but he did well with it. White has been excellent in goalline work, however, and if he gets in next week he will set a franchise record (perhaps tipping his hand a bit here?)... both backs are doing well and are very unselfish about their role in the running game.

Not really the best answer.... was hoping for a little more but that's what I got. If someone else was listening perhaps you can flesh it out a little.

FWIW just called in to the TItans Radio / Jeff Fisher show and got put through to Fisher:

Q: Last week Chris Johnson saw increased workload including Goalline work. First, was this a trend or merely a response to the speedy MIN D... and second, do you guys plan to utilize Johnson's exceptional hands/speed by increasing his role in the passing game?

A: - Johnson does have good hands and has already caught a few passes this year. He could see that increasing depending on the gameplan....the goalline work last week wasn't exactly a trend but he did well with it. White has been excellent in goalline work, however, and if he gets in next week he will set a franchise record (perhaps tipping his hand a bit here?)... both backs are doing well and are very unselfish about their role in the running game.

Not really the best answer.... was hoping for a little more but that's what I got. If someone else was listening perhaps you can flesh it out a little.
Thx for the effort and sharing. The TN run game ain't broke, and I don't see any changes coming soon (split wise). Also, ^ b/c this thread should NOT be on P3.

I actually think this is a great answer. CJ has 4 games worth of NFL experience. I don't want to see him pummeled into submission by getting overworked in the offense. Fisher is smart in using both backs at what they do best. CJ is still getting in sync with the offensive line and the offense in general. Westbrook is so dangerous because he knows the weaknesses in a given defense and how best to exploit it. That will come in time for CJ and that is when his big play potential will be exhibited. I am not saying he is fragile. He seems to be a tough runner and really wants it; but even with good instincts and great pad level this guy will get hurt if they hurdle him into the line too much. If that costs him a couple of TD's over the course of the year I think it is a small price to pay.

I actually think this is a great answer. CJ has 4 games worth of NFL experience. I don't want to see him pummeled into submission by getting overworked in the offense. Fisher is smart in using both backs at what they do best. CJ is still getting in sync with the offensive line and the offense in general. Westbrook is so dangerous because he knows the weaknesses in a given defense and how best to exploit it. That will come in time for CJ and that is when his big play potential will be exhibited. I am not saying he is fragile. He seems to be a tough runner and really wants it; but even with good instincts and great pad level this guy will get hurt if they hurdle him into the line too much. If that costs him a couple of TD's over the course of the year I think it is a small price to pay.
Agreed. I'd rather him not hit a rookie wall when it matters most. But still, hopefully he still gets the odd redzone look and Lendale doesn't vulture too many.

They really need to get the ball in his hands from the passing game more! He would be amazing with more open space looks! There's no reason he can't be a Westbrook type all around back..

It makes sense for Tenn to pound the def and soften them up with White, then unleash CJ, but they could be more creative too and really get some explosive plays going.. But, hey, their 4-0 so they must know what they're doing..

he also did well week 1 against Jacksonville. 15/93/0; 3/34/1.I don't have any reservations starting him on the road against Baltimore.

Yes.
:excited: I'm also a bit scared as Balt's D is faster than Min's, but Balt's passing D I think is better than Minn's so Tenn will have to run the ball more. Tennespeed may not have the success he found with Minn (2TD) but he will get the opportunity to.
Really tough to put CJ on the pine but against the Ravens I have concerns. I amgoing with MBIII, Burner Turner and Ronnie Brown this week.

My new LD projections say that Edge is a slightly better play than Flash this week (to go along with LJ)............but I'm going to ignore that and start him anyway. Besides LD is just a tool to help make decisions, it's not an end all to "who should I start?" questions. No doubts, no worries on this end!

I just overpayed to get him in the SOFA auction league. The Huddle's David Dorey and I were bidding him up back and forth at the auction until my computer froze up and he took advantage.

But with Manning, Warner & O'Sullivan at QB, I was able to deal from depth:

Kurt Warner, Jamal Lewis, & John Carlson

for

Chris Johnson and Todd Heap.

Lewis is on bye this week, so I needed another RB. Plus I've been trying to get Johnson, and I could afford to give up Warner. I'm thrilled to overpay for the opportunity to pair the Light Blue Jesus with the Purple Jesus in my backfield.

:championship:

Titans: Johnson is rookie of the month10/02/08 01:33 PMTHE NEWSTitans running back Chris Johnson was named the NFL's Offensive Rookie of the Month for September, according to Pro Football Weekly.Our ViewJohnson has averaged 5.0 yards per carry while running for 337 yards and catching 10 passes for 65 yards. He has scored three touchdowns - two on the ground and one through the air.
:mellow:

I just overpayed to get him in the SOFA auction league. The Huddle's David Dorey and I were bidding him up back and forth at the auction until my computer froze up and he took advantage. But with Manning, Warner & O'Sullivan at QB, I was able to deal from depth: Kurt Warner, Jamal Lewis, & John Carlsonfor Chris Johnson and Todd Heap.Lewis is on bye this week, so I needed another RB. Plus I've been trying to get Johnson, and I could afford to give up Warner. I'm thrilled to overpay for the opportunity to pair the Light Blue Jesus with the Purple Jesus in my backfield.:championship:
Is that a dynasty league, because if it is, you made out like a bandit.

ceo3west said:
Titans: Johnson is rookie of the month10/02/08 01:33 PMTHE NEWSTitans running back Chris Johnson was named the NFL's Offensive Rookie of the Month for September, according to Pro Football Weekly.Our ViewJohnson has averaged 5.0 yards per carry while running for 337 yards and catching 10 passes for 65 yards. He has scored three touchdowns - two on the ground and one through the air.
:lmao:
Don't tell Switz

It's bittersweet, but I just traded away CJ3. As they say I got an offer I couldn't refuse.

CJ3 and Bowe for ADP and Welker

14 team ppr league.

It's even better because I'm playing this owner week 6. CJ3 AND Bowe have week 6 byes.

I wonder if flooding his inbox with CJ3 propaganda from this thread had anything to do with it...

It's bittersweet, but I just traded away CJ3. As they say I got an offer I couldn't refuse.

CJ3 and Bowe for ADP and Welker

14 team ppr league.

It's even better because I'm playing this owner week 6. CJ3 AND Bowe have week 6 byes.

I wonder if flooding his inbox with CJ3 propaganda from this thread had anything to do with it...
Nice play!I think I would try this if I seriously thought I could get someone to bite and I could get decent value. It's just not possible in my league though. Beginning in May I told everyone in the league I was going to take him in the draft and even with all of the pre-season hype he still fell to me. Sometimes boneheads will always be boneheads.

Just acquired Chris Johnson and Lance Moore for Buckhalter and B. Edwards.All aboard
Currently pending in my money league, someone has traded away Antonio Gates (currently #2 TE and he has no back up TE) for Zach Miller and Chris Johnson. He already has LT2 and MoJo. I guess CJ3 will be his flex. But now Zach Miller is his TE the rest of the year.

Sat CJ3 last week, but I'm not making that mistake again. The Ravens are the toughest run defense out there, but I think the Titans will find a way to get Johnson out in space where he can make some plays. Always start your studs. :confused:

Sat CJ3 last week, but I'm not making that mistake again. The Ravens are the toughest run defense out there, but I think the Titans will find a way to get Johnson out in space where he can make some plays. Always start your studs. :unsure:
Sat him for Ronnie Brown, hopefully won't regret it as much as benching Brown week 3. :confused:

Is this guy going to get his own thread again today? I lost all respect when he was Deion Sanders'in the endzone.

I gave him the boot off my team

kevinallen said:
This guy looked like crap today. :scared:
Name a RB that hasnt looked like crap against the Balt run Defense. Johnson's 44 rushing yds were the 2nd highest this season from a RB against the Ravens, with Jamal Lewis' impressive 56 yard performance placing 1st.
I will repeat, he looked like crap today.

kevinallen said:
This guy looked like crap today. :scared:
Name a RB that hasnt looked like crap against the Balt run Defense. Johnson's 44 rushing yds were the 2nd highest this season from a RB against the Ravens, with Jamal Lewis' impressive 56 yard performance placing 1st.
I will repeat, he looked like crap today.
Lucky for us CJ owners that he doesnt play the Ravens every week.

I'm irritated at myself for following the FBG projections having CJ3 as a Top 10 guy this week and let Brandon Jacobs ride the pine, even though everything pointed at the opposite. *sigh* It's my own fault.

I'm irritated at myself for following the FBG projections having CJ3 as a Top 10 guy this week and let Brandon Jacobs ride the pine, even though everything pointed at the opposite. *sigh* It's my own fault.
FBGs really should create some kind of smiley for this situation.

This guy looked like crap today. :shock:
uh boy, here come the haters.... again.translation: I wanted him in my draft, but didn't get him so now I'm going to hate on him.some people can't give credit where credit is due.
Translation: I own him in a league where the entry fee is 5000 dollars. He's gotten enough credit on these boards, he was ranked top 10 by FBG staff this week, 20 touches, 45 yards = crap. I don't care if he was playing against the 85 Bears, 20 touches for 45 yards is crap for a player ranked top 10. And I didn't start him this week as I went with Jacobs who was ranked lower by the staff here, I realize the staff and many posters here have man crush on CJ but it's common sense to bench a rookie against the Ravens. I expected alot more than 20 touches for 45 though, that's simply sickening for a player getting this much credit around here. Call me a hater if you want, some people take a little criticism around here about CJ as if I said there kid was ugly and stupid. If you take this hobby that serious maybe it's time to admit you got a problem.

This guy looked like crap today. :shock:
uh boy, here come the haters.... again.translation: I wanted him in my draft, but didn't get him so now I'm going to hate on him.some people can't give credit where credit is due.
Translation: I own him in a league where the entry fee is 5000 dollars. He's gotten enough credit on these boards, he was ranked top 10 by FBG staff this week, 20 touches, 45 yards = crap. I don't care if he was playing against the 85 Bears, 20 touches for 45 yards is crap for a player ranked top 10. And I didn't start him this week as I went with Jacobs who was ranked lower by the staff here, I realize the staff and many posters here have man crush on CJ but it's common sense to bench a rookie against the Ravens. I expected alot more than 20 touches for 45 though, that's simply sickening for a player getting this much credit around here. Call me a hater if you want, some people take a little criticism around here about CJ as if I said there kid was ugly and stupid. If you take this hobby that serious maybe it's time to admit you got a problem.
You the one paying a $5000 entry fee and your saying others might have a problem? :no:

This guy looked like crap today. :thumbdown:
were you complaining about his production the first two weeks of the season*. show some patients. and uh... $5000 entry fee? maybe it's you who has the problem.ETA: * = and last week?

This guy looked like crap today. :towelwave:
You the one paying a $5000 entry fee and your saying others might have a problem? :excited:
Why would paying a $5000 entry fee indicate a problem? :confused:

This guy looked like crap today. :towelwave:
You the one paying a $5000 entry fee and your saying others might have a problem? :excited:
It's just that normally you'd expect someone playing in a $5k league to be more level headed about a player like CJ3.

WOW HE NEVER SAID HE WAS IN A $5,000 LEAGUE!!!!

HE WAS USING SARCASM AND EXAGERRATION AGAINST PEOPLE WHO OVERVALUE CHRIS JOHNSON!

READ THE DAMN POST!

This guy looked like crap today. :goodposting:
It's just that normally you'd expect someone playing in a $5k league to be more level headed about a player like CJ3.
Why? :confused:

Users who are viewing this thread