What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Chris Johnson Hype machine (2 Viewers)

Banger said:
THE UNDERCOVER BROTHA said:
the hype has cooled down a bit....hopefully he strings a few good ones together soon.
this is a period of adjustment for CJ. Teams have been stacking the box with 8-9 players making almost no room to run. As others have mentioned I wouldn't be surprised if they tried to get him downfield a little more lining him up wide and putting White in the backfield. He's still the focus of the offense and getting 20+ touch's/week and the Titans are still winning.
Gotta think he may be wearing down a little too. This is the period that some rookies start hitting the wall. He's little, had a lot of touches and many of them between the tackles. I can't bring myself to bench him though, even against the Jets. I think Collins has proved enough the past two weeks that the 9's in the box turn into 8's, and the 8's turn into 7's. I'll live and die w/ Lil' Johnson this season.

If you have a better matchup, I'd sit CJ vs the Jets.
Collins/Gage/Jones/Scaife are proving that you have to respect the Titans' passing game too, and the Jets are fairly beat up in the secondary. I'm thinking there may be very few stacked box defensive alignments this week. Not to say that it'll be easy going, but maybe not quite as tough as many here believe.

Collins/Gage/Jones/Scaife are proving that you have to respect the Titans' passing game too, and the Jets are fairly beat up in the secondary. I'm thinking there may be very few stacked box defensive alignments this week. Not to say that it'll be easy going, but maybe not quite as tough as many here believe.
If I'm a defensive coordinator I'm still stacking the box and letting the those scrubs beat me as opposed to CJ.

If I'm a defensive coordinator I'm still stacking the box and letting the those scrubs beat me as opposed to CJ.
I wouldn't bench him for just anyone with a better matchup, but I am benching him for Lynch (Chiefs) and LT (Colts). FWIW, last time I benched him was vs. Minnesota, when he scored 2 TDs. :excited:

I wouldn't bench him for just anyone with a better matchup, but I am benching him for Lynch (Chiefs) and LT (Colts). FWIW, last time I benched him was vs. Minnesota, when he scored 2 TDs. :confused:
:goodposting: He's quietly reached near-stud status, and like MJD, you can't just bench him 'cause he's got a tough matchup. You never know when he'll go off. I've given my reason for his possibility to have a decent-good game. If you're certain to get 120/1 from somebody else, go for it. Lil' Johnson could very well go over 120 total yards and his floor is likely 80 total yards. I can't bring myself to bench him for Parker (thank God), Dunn, T.O., Harrison or Fargas. All good-looking matchups at a glance, but never a 2nd thought for me.

I was benching him for dunn nut possibly may sit pottos who is now a gtd. I don't know that he will have that big of a day but will say Jenkins is more likely to affect lendale not cj

what's everyones take on CJ from here on out?

it's been a nice year but he's been killing my team these past 3 weeks. It seems like hes prime to rebound this week against a weak DET team but i'm starting to lose confidence. hopefully the titans get back to smash and dash from here on out.

what's everyones take on CJ from here on out? it's been a nice year but he's been killing my team these past 3 weeks. It seems like hes prime to rebound this week against a weak DET team but i'm starting to lose confidence. hopefully the titans get back to smash and dash from here on out.
He'll likely destroy Detroit. I'm thinking he'll have a game similar to the KC game. He should be good against Houston and probably Cleveland as well, Pittsburgh in week 16 should be tough though.I don't think its out of the question that's he's a top-5 RB from this point on.

what's everyones take on CJ from here on out? it's been a nice year but he's been killing my team these past 3 weeks. It seems like hes prime to rebound this week against a weak DET team but i'm starting to lose confidence. hopefully the titans get back to smash and dash from here on out.
He'll likely destroy Detroit. I'm thinking he'll have a game similar to the KC game. He should be good against Houston and probably Cleveland as well, Pittsburgh in week 16 should be tough though.I don't think its out of the question that's he's a top-5 RB from this point on.
Agreed, although I'll be benching him week 16 and 17 (neanderthal league, week 17 super bowl)

Lil Leon is making my weekly CJ3 start a little less certain every time he totes the rock.

Johnson has a sweet, sweet matchup this week against the toothless Lions, but Leon gets the pathetic Broncos. I'm just not sure about Johnson anymore. I could easily see him rack up nice yardage totals Thursday only to get hawked three times at the goal line by Land Whale.

ok please forgive me for questioning CJ. with lenwhale complaining about not enough touches, heres to hoping the titans get back to pounding the ball.

Somebody essentially offered me LT for CJ . . . am I insane for not wanting to take this? Their schedules are both good down the stretch, although LT has an easier Super Bowl week against the Bucs than CJ against the Steelers

Crazy question but is Chris Johnson a must start this week over guys like Thomas Jones and Lynch who also have a sweet matchup? I love CJ3 but lately everyone has been stopping the run and forcing Collins to throw. I realize the last couple of weeks he has been playing against tougher defenses and they are probably pissed after losing to the jets but Lynch or Jones have been getting more touches man I'm banging my head with this one.

I wouldn't start CJ over Thomas Jones given how Jones is playing much better.

I would start him over Lynch this week. CJ has been pretty awful the past three games but it will be a shock if he doesn't do well against the Lions.

Crazy question but is Chris Johnson a must start this week over guys like Thomas Jones and Lynch who also have a sweet matchup? I love CJ3 but lately everyone has been stopping the run and forcing Collins to throw. I realize the last couple of weeks he has been playing against tougher defenses and they are probably pissed after losing to the jets but Lynch or Jones have been getting more touches man I'm banging my head with this one.
I think those defenses the past couple of weeks had the talent to stack and stop the run, and have confidence their CB's could matchup with the Wr's. Detroit simply does not.. They can stack the box all they want and still get slashed in the air and ground. CJ should have a huge game.

Worst run defense in all of football + national turkey day spotlight + alot of "get back to the run" comments from Fisher

= HUGE DAY for CJ

:goodposting: Right?

A good problem to have: I have to sit either Gore, Turner or Thomas Jones to play CJ. I promised myself I'd start CJ against Detroit but I am feeling antsy. You could make the case that Lendale takes the majority of teh carries this week since he is rested and it's a short week?? What to do ....what to do??

Anyone here have CJ and Bush? Thoughts on which way to lean?
I have both and am unquestionably going with CJ. The Lions are terrible, and who knows if Bush is going to play this week. If so, who knows how he will look and how much he will be used in his first game back v TB.

With one part trepidation and two parts dread - I'm benching CJ for Ronnie Brown this weekend.
"the dreads" say: never bench LBJ!

Go Go Secret Agent 4.26... he'll have a monster day against the J-E-T-S
:bs: I've been pretty quiet on him lately, but I'm calling for a blowup day from the hype machine today.
:bag: I suck. As punishment, I will not come here to gloat when he blows up.
It shouldnt be much of a problem since it rarely ever happens.

With one part trepidation and two parts dread - I'm benching CJ for Ronnie Brown this weekend.

:banned: I've been pretty quiet on him lately, but I'm calling for a blowup day from the hype machine today.
Scratch that. Now I will come back in here specifically to shove it in thehornet's face. ;)

:lmao: I've been pretty quiet on him lately, but I'm calling for a blowup day from the hype machine today.
:lmao: I suck. As punishment, I will not come here to gloat when he blows up.
Scratch that. Now I will come back in here specifically to shove it in thehornet's face. :lmao:
:goodposting: lolol....I traded him away early in the season...big mistake.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd love to see, and I really need, CJ have a big day against the Lions; but what does that mean? Has he really lived up to the hype? Leon Washington has found a way to have big games, Pierre Thomas (no less) had a nice game against the Packers, Matt Forte has been great on team with average skill players (and arguably a weaker O-Line than the Titans) and Slaton has been productive as a receiver and runner down in Houston.

I am by no means an expert at evaluating talent. I often defer to the evaluators on this site for informed insights in putting my team together. So what is it with CJ that is keeping him from putting up the numbers we had hoped for? I know Lendale has poached some TD's but I have not seen the consistency as a receiver and the elusiveness that has given him the big play every other game or so. I am not saying he doesn't have it or that it won't come but there is certainly room here for the naysayers to spout off.

I certainly love CJ's matchup with the Lions this week, but who can I bench out of my other three backs:

Barber III

DeAngelo

Turner

I thought about Barber but a good matchup with SEA, DeAngelo is on fire, and how can you bench Turner after last week and a matchup with his old team

Cannot play CJ IMO, but a nice problem to have.

I certainly love CJ's matchup with the Lions this week, but who can I bench out of my other three backs:Barber IIIDeAngeloTurnerI thought about Barber but a good matchup with SEA, DeAngelo is on fire, and how can you bench Turner after last week and a matchup with his old teamCannot play CJ IMO, but a nice problem to have.
I think I'm going to bench Gore for the first time all season and start CJ!!! :bag: (with Turner and Thomas Jones)

Last edited by a moderator:

:goodposting: I've been pretty quiet on him lately, but I'm calling for a blowup day from the hype machine today.
Keep your word, F&L. We gotcha back. Plenty of us here to gloat for you, though I see Land Whale having as good a fantasy day as Johnson. 20+ (PPR) points each is nothing to sneeze at.

munchkin said:
I'd love to see, and I really need, CJ have a big day against the Lions; but what does that mean? Has he really lived up to the hype? Leon Washington has found a way to have big games, Pierre Thomas (no less) had a nice game against the Packers, Matt Forte has been great on team with average skill players (and arguably a weaker O-Line than the Titans) and Slaton has been productive as a receiver and runner down in Houston. I am by no means an expert at evaluating talent. I often defer to the evaluators on this site for informed insights in putting my team together. So what is it with CJ that is keeping him from putting up the numbers we had hoped for? I know Lendale has poached some TD's but I have not seen the consistency as a receiver and the elusiveness that has given him the big play every other game or so. I am not saying he doesn't have it or that it won't come but there is certainly room here for the naysayers to spout off.
There is no RB in the league who is going to put up strong numbers running against 8 and even 9 in the box like Johnson has been since the Indy game. He's the one playmaker the Titans have on offense, and opposing defenses know it. The Titans say that they are going to run the ball now because they've proven they can pass the ball, but I don't think they've proven it at all. They couldn't pass the ball against the Jets until the Jets moved to a prevent defense with the game out of hand. The Titans receivers can't separate to get open, and Kerry Collins is nowhere close to an above average quarterback. The "Collins for MVP" talk was the most preposterous talking head analysis I've heard since ESPN fired Salisbury.Bottom line: opponents know that their best bet is to make Collins and the receivers beat them. I don't think that's going to change, but the Lions are so bad that it doesn't matter. And Johnson is explosive enough to break a long run even if defenses continue to sell out against him. But consistency is much harder to come by.

:popcorn:

LBJ almost outscored ADP and Turner (on my opponent's rd. 1 playoff team)

Next week @ HOU should be interesting, as will week 16 (if we get to the promised land)

On to round 2 in my favorite $$$ league.

So the question now is where does he go in redraft next year? Personally, if Im lucky enough to pick top 3 I may be taking him there.

Users who are viewing this thread