What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Farve Reinstated; expected to report Monday (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Amalgamated

Footballguy
According to espn and Ed Werder, on both espn and NFL network bottom lines.

UPDATE:

Favre told Werder he's been reinstated.

His plane lands at 6:30 -- he won't be attending family night, unfortunately, according to ESPN.

Will report to camp tomorrow at 1:00 PM.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3517219

Update 2 August 3, 2008, 12:47 PM ET

GREEN BAY, Wis. -- Brett Favre will be reinstated and added to the Green Bay Packers' active roster Monday.

The NFL announced the move Sunday. Commissioner Roger Goodell had held off on granting Favre's request for reinstatement for nearly a week.

He hoped Favre and the team could resolve their standoff. By reinstating Favre, Goodell is following through on a recent promise to force action.

The reinstatement will become effective at noon on Monday.

Update 3

Speculation media deal still a possibility ... and this nugget:

The team is fully prepared to take Favre back. It has been saving a room for him at St. Norbert's College and has a plan to integrate him back into practice. Favre will have to take a physical and a conditioning test Monday before being put on the roster. The Packers will have to cut someone to make room for him.http://blogs.jsonline.com/packers/Update 4

Chachi says in post 97:

John Clayton is reporting Favre has REJECTED THE 25 MILLION dollar buyout and wants to play football.
BUTI have not seen that confirmed anywhere. Packers Blog has since had 2 posts claiming marketing deal may still be in the works.

http://blogs.jsonline.com/packers/

Update 5

After a long meeting with HC Mike McCarthy on Monday night, Favre spoke to the media on Tuesday and stated it's probably no longer viable for him to remain a Packer:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp...tory?id=3520064

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/08/03/...een-reinstated/

FAVRE SAYS HE HAS BEEN REINSTATED

Posted by Mike Florio on August 3, 2008, 11:08 a.m. EDT

ESPN’s Ed Werder reports that quarterback Brett Favre has been reinstated to the NFL, and that Favre plans to travel to Green Bay on Sunday.

“He is definitely leaving soon to go to Green Bay,” Werder said.

The report comes from Favre’s claim that he believes NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell has reinstated him. The team’s position is that, because Sunday isn’t an official NFL business day, no action can be taken until Monday.

Stay tuned. The weirdest story we’ve ever seen surely will continue to get weirder.

Rotoworld claims: "Favre plans to fly to Green Bay on Sunday and report to camp. The latest rumor is that the Packers plan to let Favre do only individual work in camp and release him the day before the season starts. At that point, he'll be so far behind that he won't be able to help a team like the Vikings early in the season."

I hope GB sticks to their plan and Favre will be a backup..Lets move forward not backwards

"Chicago Bears Rule"

Reported on KFFL

Sun, 3 Aug 2008 08:17:14 -0700

ESPN.com's Ed Werder reports NFL commissioner Roger Goodell has reinstated Green Bay Packers retired QB Brett Favre, according to Favre. Favre was prepared to fly to Green Bay in time to join the team for the sold-out Packers Family Night at Lambeau Field.

What a way to treat the legend. This will be a brutal move for the Packers for PR reasons and Brett will really come back to haunt them than. Nothing like a man who is pissed. Just think of all the games where Brett faces adversity and comes up huge. He could be MVP with such a scenario and Vikings pay nothing for him. There team is good enough without him to keep things warm till he is ready to go. Say week 5 and watch out.

Reported on KFFLSun, 3 Aug 2008 08:17:14 -0700ESPN.com's Ed Werder reports NFL commissioner Roger Goodell has reinstated Green Bay Packers retired QB Brett Favre, according to Favre. Favre was prepared to fly to Green Bay in time to join the team for the sold-out Packers Family Night at Lambeau Field.
Family night goes down in infamy...

Rotoworld claims: "Favre plans to fly to Green Bay on Sunday and report to camp. The latest rumor is that the Packers plan to let Favre do only individual work in camp and release him the day before the season starts. At that point, he'll be so far behind that he won't be able to help a team like the Vikings early in the season."
That would be the biggest chicken ##### move by the Packers. I would have to move them up to my least favorite team in the NFL if they do that.

That would be the biggest chicken ##### move by the Packers.
Yup. It's gutless. If Favre reports, let him compete. Thompson shouldn't be afraid of competition that could (and almost certainly would) make the team better. I simply cannot understand what the hell he is doing here. It doesn't make a lick of sense.

Yup. It's gutless. If Favre reports, let him compete. Thompson shouldn't be afraid of competition that could (and almost certainly would) make the team better. I simply cannot understand what the hell he is doing here. It doesn't make a lick of sense.
For either of you - I don't understand why it's gutless. Farve has been trying to leverage a power play since this thing started - and the funny thing is he has no power.

If he gets released, will any team be able to claim/sign him right away or does it start with Miami, then St. Louis, and so on up to the Super Bowl champion Giants? (Worst to first)

Last edited by a moderator:
For either of you - I don't understand why it's gutless. Farve has been trying to leverage a power play since this thing started - and the funny thing is he has no power.
It's gutless because it looks like the Packers are scared of competition. They look like they're afraid the guy they've been backing (Rodgers) can't handle the competition and they look like they're afraid a 38-year-old with no offseason practice and who's been working out with high school kids can walk in off the street and beat out the guy they're so confident should be the starter. I think it's gutless. It's one thing to want to move on; it's another to flat out reject the idea of competition that will make the team better. The Packers continue to treat this like it's some foreign concept in the NFL. But teams every year since the league was formed have had competition for starting jobs. I cannot understand what makes Aaron Rodgers so damn special he's above it all.

It's not the team, it's Ted Thompson. And if he does this, his days are numbered.

You don't treat a legend like that. If you don't want him on your team, release him now or trade him. You don't see the 49ers treat Joe Montana that way, or the Broncos/Elway, or the Dolphins/Marino, or the Bills/Kelly, or the Cowboys/Staubach, Aikman, or.....you get my point.

I can't think of a better way to assure that their "QB of the future" fails than to have Brett Farve sitting on the bench, healthy and ready to go.

It's not the team, it's Ted Thompson. And if he does this, his days are numbered.
I agree this is Thompson as I stated above. It's his decision making process in this matter that makes no sense to me.

I can't think of a better way to assure that their "QB of the future" fails than to have Brett Farve sitting on the bench, healthy and ready to go.
If Aaron Rodgers is truly going to be the QB of the future, he shouldn't be afraid of competition - even if the competition is coming from one of the game's greatest QBs of all time. I think this is a very good opportunity for the Packers to find out right now just what Rodgers is made of. Unfortunately (assuming this rumor is true), it appears Thompson is afraid of what might happen and is trying to coddle his guy without any threat of competition that could make the team better.

If Aaron Rodgers is truly going to be the QB of the future, he shouldn't be afraid of competition - even if the competition is coming from one of the game's greatest QBs of all time. I think this is a very good opportunity for the Packers to find out right now just what Rodgers is made of. Unfortunately (assuming this rumor is true), it appears Thompson is afraid of what might happen and is trying to coddle his guy without any threat of competition that could make the team better.
Sure he shouldn't be afraid of the competition but replacing a legend at QB is hard enough when the legend isn't dressed and ready to play.

You don't treat a legend like that. If you don't want him on your team, release him now or trade him. You don't see the 49ers treat Joe Montana that way, or the Broncos/Elway, or the Dolphins/Marino, or the Bills/Kelly, or the Cowboys/Staubach, Aikman, or.....you get my point.
Favre has a decent amount a power. He called his team's bluff and is showing to camp where they absolutely don't want him, but they can't stop him.I agree. You don't treat a legend like this. Trade him already. Damn.

Imagine the training camp media interviews with Favre, day after day after day. I'm sure he'll do nothing to sabotage his teammates or front office or "tarnish his legacy". :wub:

And how many of those guys went out like Favre (retire and unretire)? And what about how he's treating the team? He's fought most of this battle in the media and in the spotlight - why is he not to blame for a good chunk?

And how many of those guys went out like Favre (retire and unretire)? And what about how he's treating the team? He's fought most of this battle in the media and in the spotlight - why is he not to blame for a good chunk?
This is like a bad marriage.It comes to the point that it doesn't matter whose fault it is, it just has to end and everyone has to go their separate ways.Much of it may be Farve's fault but Thompson and the Packers are the ones who can end the relationship and the whole circus with a trade or release. The only thing Farve can do is try to leverage.

My opinion is he deserves a ton of blame for this. Both sides do. This has been a joke for a long time and both sides have contributed significantly to the embarrassment. But now that Favre has been reinstated I believe he should be allowed to compete for the starting job. I view that as a win-win for the Packers. If Rodgers can beat out Favre, that means he's pretty damn good and the Packers will be better off as a result. If Favre regains the job, then the Packers have avoided putting arguably the most important position on the field in the hands of an inferior player when a better option was available. The Packer fans would also be winners because either way, the team has a better chance for success. As Michael Scott would say, this is a great example of the "Win-Win-Win" strategy of negotiations.

My opinion is he deserves a ton of blame for this. Both sides do. This has been a joke for a long time and both sides have contributed significantly to the embarrassment. But now that Favre has been reinstated I believe he should be allowed to compete for the starting job. I view that as a win-win for the Packers. If Rodgers can beat out Favre, that means he's pretty damn good and the Packers will be better off as a result. If Favre regains the job, then the Packers have avoided putting arguably the most important position on the field in the hands of an inferior player when a better option was available. The Packer fans would also be winners because either way, the team has a better chance for success. As Michael Scott would say, this is a great example of the "Win-Win-Win" strategy of negotiations.
:wub: And if the Packers limit him in practice and then release him right before the season starts, their franchise is a joke. Considering all of the success they have had since Favre got there, he deserves better than that.

Let the best player win the job. Is Rodgers actually Ted Thompsons son or something, why all the babying?

Reinstated and...............

If the Packers let Favre play they will go 12-4 at best, 10-6 at worst.

If the Packers let Rodgers play they will be 7-9 at best, 5-11 at worst.

Favre has to play IMO if he shows up, nothing to think about if you are the Packers brass. If Rodgers leaves after 2009 season they will have Brohm or Flynn ready after 2 years of sitting on the bench.

Adding to the report we just filed from ESPN, confirming Brett Favre and family are on a plane headed for Green Bay, Ed Werder also reports NFL commissioner Roger Goodell has approved his request for reinstatement to the NFL, according to ProFootballTalk.com.

Our View: He's ready to play, he's on his way to Wisconsin, and his family is in tow for the Packers' Family Night event at training camp this evening. Reports had surfaced earlier in the day that stated Favre and family wouldn't be attending, but now they are confirmed in the air and on their way. It seems likely the veteran passer is going to push for resolution, be it a lucrative agreement to not play at all or a trade to another squad. We'll keep you posted as we get updates.

lOVE IT if Favre show up for family night.

Let's say that Favre is released the day before the season starts. That's Wednesday, September 3. The Vikings play the Packers on Monday, September 8. Is that enough time for Favre to be ready enough to start for the Vikings in that game?

I'm not sure I see the significance of releasing him the day before the season starts. Why not wait until September 9? That way, you know he won't make it to burn you that season opening game.

Let's say that Favre is released the day before the season starts. That's Wednesday, September 3. The Vikings play the Packers on Monday, September 8. Is that enough time for Favre to be ready enough to start for the Vikings in that game? I'm not sure I see the significance of releasing him the day before the season starts. Why not wait until September 9? That way, you know he won't make it to burn you that season opening game.
It's enough to get into Aaron Rodgers head.......

That would be the biggest chicken ##### move by the Packers. I would have to move them up to my least favorite team in the NFL if they do that.
IMO, Favre has been losing the PR battle thus far--he looks like a petulant child who cannot make up his mind and then when he does, sulks and cries because he can't get his way. But if the Packers do THIS? Big-time win for Favre (image-wise) in the end. This would be treating one of the icons in the pantheon of your team's history like dog ####.

:rolleyes: And if the Packers limit him in practice and then release him right before the season starts, their franchise is a joke. Considering all of the success they have had since Favre got there, he deserves better than that.
If they let Favre back though they risk losing Aaron Rodgers after this season -- now that may not be much of a loss anyway, but the guy's been waiting in the wings for years and he's the person who has been jerked around as much as anyone in this whole mess. They've groomed him to succeed Favre and if he refuses to resign with them, which is a distinct possibility if they let Favre back, they'll have to go a completely different direction and it may take a couple years to get Brohm or whoever comfortable in the offense. In theory, this could set the team back in the long run, though we'll never know unless Rodgers gets a legitimate shot.I agree that both sides deserve a lot of blame in this - the one thing that really sticks out is how many years Favre has been the source of intense media scrutiny over whether or not he will retire. There is not one other person in the league who every offseason would be so iffy about returning. All he had to do was say "I'm coming back", but for months every year he let people speculate over his future, including the Packers it seems, and this must have been pretty frustrating for the team. Finally he retires, they draft 2 QBs, then he says he's coming back, only to say he isn't sure, then he says he is sure... at some point you have to cut the ties and move in a different direction.

Let's say that Favre is released the day before the season starts. That's Wednesday, September 3. The Vikings play the Packers on Monday, September 8. Is that enough time for Favre to be ready enough to start for the Vikings in that game? I'm not sure I see the significance of releasing him the day before the season starts. Why not wait until September 9? That way, you know he won't make it to burn you that season opening game.
I doubt it, but it would give Favre incentive to play dirty and fill the Vikes in on as much inside info about the Pack as he could. How about this... ? Let Favre return and start. Trade Glass Joe, er, um, Rodgers for as much as they could get for Favre anyways. Turn to Brohm when Favre is done.

ESPN’s Ed Werder reports that quarterback Brett Favre has been reinstated to the NFL, and that Favre plans to travel to Green Bay on Sunday.

The report comes from Favre’s claim that he believes NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell has reinstated him. The team’s position is that, because Sunday isn’t an official NFL business day, no action can be taken until Monday.

Stay tuned. The weirdest story we’ve ever seen surely will continue to get weirder.

Can a team do this without cause? I'm guessing the players association would have a huge problem with this.

The team better make sure that Rodgers' red jersey tonight has flashing lights. Wouldn't it be something if some veteran Defensive player got a shot in on him during the scrimmage?

The seeds for this situation were planted back when TT drafted Rodgers. From that day forward, there was guaranteed to be tension between Favre and TT.

Can a team do this without cause? I'm guessing the players association would have a huge problem with this.
I think they won't like it, but I doubt there is much they can do about it. If he's under contract and they want to make him full time holder and commit him 100% to that in practice, I think they have the right. I think it's a different situation than telling him to stay away.

If they let Favre back though they risk losing Aaron Rodgers after this season -- now that may not be much of a loss anyway, but the guy's been waiting in the wings for years and he's the person who has been jerked around as much as anyone in this whole mess. They've groomed him to succeed Favre and if he refuses to resign with them, which is a distinct possibility if they let Favre back, they'll have to go a completely different direction and it may take a couple years to get Brohm or whoever comfortable in the offense. In theory, this could set the team back in the long run, though we'll never know unless Rodgers gets a legitimate shot.

I agree that both sides deserve a lot of blame in this - the one thing that really sticks out is how many years Favre has been the source of intense media scrutiny over whether or not he will retire. There is not one other person in the league who every offseason would be so iffy about returning. All he had to do was say "I'm coming back", but for months every year he let people speculate over his future, including the Packers it seems, and this must have been pretty frustrating for the team. Finally he retires, they draft 2 QBs, then he says he's coming back, only to say he isn't sure, then he says he is sure... at some point you have to cut the ties and move in a different direction.
I agree with most of what you said, but as far as the long run, sometimes you have to think of the short run. Having realistic shots at the Super Bowl do not come along all of the time, and since the Packers are essentially bringing back the same time that came thisclose to making it to the Super Bowl last year, doesn't it go without saying that Brett Favre, not Aaron Rodgers, gives them the best chance to get to and win the Super Bowl this coming season? You really cannot expect Rodgers to pull a Tom Brady or Kurt Warner and win it all in his first season as a starter, especially given the pressure he will already be under, having to replace a legend. Go ask Brian Griese what it is like to replace a legendary QB.

The seeds for this situation were planted back when TT drafted Rodgers. From that day forward, there was guaranteed to be tension between Favre and TT.
Yep, but I can't blame a team for taking a QB of the future. They just have to realize that it means ties will eventually have to be cut with the old guy. It may be painful, but this Dolphins fan will attest that failing to plan for the future when your legend QB is nearing the end is just as painful. I say that meaning no offense to Jay Fiedler, a true overachiever if there ever was one.

McCarthy has shown himself to be a good coach, but he will lose that team if the Packers Front Office decides to go this route

And those legends treated their teams this way?It goes both ways.

And those legends treated their teams this way?It goes both ways.
That sort of treatment is just irrational. It would tend to color my perception of the whole situation and give Favre's side of the story a lot more credibility in my book.

Or he and the team have tried to move on without the constant waffling of #4 who was given several chances to change his mind earlier and decided not to until just now.Perhaps Favre always wanted this release and thinks this is the best way to get it...in that case...is there anything Thompson could have done? I agree he should be allowed to compete...but I can also see the team's side to this.They cannot keep going on just wondering what Brett will do...they needed some certainty this offseason and they moved on.

Heaven forbid the Packers make the almighty Brett Favre be a backup. They are supposed to let him do as he pleases. :thumbup:

That rumor of them cutting him the day before the season is a rumor and I for one don't believe they will cut him.

As for this mess, this is Favre's fault as far as I'm concerned. Trying to strongarm them into releasing him is the BS in this. The Packer's are not going to just cut him because it's not in the best interests of the team.

I'd like to see them have the stones to make him the 3rd QB and hold the clipboard. :cry:

According to espn and Ed Werder, on both espn and NFL network bottom lines.

UPDATE:

Favre told Werder he's been reinstated.

His plane lands at 6:30 -- he won't be attending family night, unfortunately, according to ESPN.

Will report to camp tomorrow at 1:00 PM.

League officials deny it's a "done deal" but admit it's in the works.BTW he won't practice tomorrow b/c they aren't practicing- per nfl network.

This is now getting exciting :thumbup:

what a disgrace the Packers franchise has shown themselves to be. I'm a Bears fan but I'm still sad to see a situation like this occur. Regardless of how poorly Favre has handled the situation, he's carried that franchise for years and has given everything has to it. Now, they're putting him in the backup role before training camp has really begun. Not even allowing a competition, according to the what they've said. They even wanted to pay him to stay retired. What an embarrassment. :thumbup: I don't see how this has happened but I hate the Packers even more and it has nothing to do with the rivalry between them and the Bears. You're a joke, Packers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread