What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Will Jamal Lewis (1 Viewer)

Pulled this from RKade... lets see how this turns out shall we...@ Cinn -- this guy has torched them since he came into the leage. Sick numbers -- RESULT: 101 Rushing YardsDEN -- tough since DEN is great against the run. Average numbers but still should produce -- RESULT: 134 Rushing YardsNEXTJAC -- sick numbers (??? Tenn just ran all over them last week and we know how great their running game is this year :rolleyes: )@STL -- sick numbers and people won't be talking about Faulk that day@MIA -- tough game here and won't know for a few weeks especially with Miami so up and downSEA -- sick numbersSF -- joke defense, sick numbersCINN -- again, sick numbers@Oak -- run run run sick numbersCLE -- super bowl weekend for me, perfect rematch and watch him try and break his single game record. SICK game.

To further expand on #3, Lewis is currently averaging 23.7 carries and 139 ypg (5.8 ypc....sick!)C Taylor is averaging 4.4 carries and 18.1 ypg (4.1 ypc), has only had 7 carries in the last 2 gamesLewis would need to have 3 more carries a game on average (26 carries per game) for the rest of the season to reach the 400 carry mark Billick referenced, so his carries would actually have to increse to get to that markAnother point, this season Baltimore is 4-1 when Lewis gets 20+ carries, 0-2 when he gets less than 20, the coaches have to see a cooralation
Good analysis on the number of carries increasing :thumbup: However, the 4-0 record on the 20+ carry mark is a bit deceiving. If Baltimore gets behind early, they don't have the offense to come from behind (mostly due to personnel and offensive scheme), so they must rely on their defense to keep them close for Lewis to get his workload. The play of the defense has more to do with Lewis getting his carries than any other factor.Just to end on a negative note, last week Lewis' YPC fell from 6.2 to 5.9 on the season, a trend I see continuing. He'll be lucky to finish at 4.6.
His YPC dropped because he was playing a defense that hadn't allowed a 100 yard rusher all season, a list that would include no name backs like Dillon, Tomlinson and Holmes.Of the defenses that he'll face the remainder of the season, there are 6 that are allowing opposing rushers more than 100 yards on average a game.For your review:St Louis 101.7Seattle 115.4San Fran 102Cinci 120.9Oakland 159Cleveland 129.6Just for kicks, take the 977 he currently has and give him average days against these 6 opponents, you get to 1,705. The 1,800 yard mark is virtually a lock with that reasoning. The tough part then would be to get an additional 295 against the 3 oppenents that are solid against the run.Take a look:Miami 73.9Jax 91.6Pitt 90.6Assuming he gets to 1,705 as illustrated above combined with hitting the averages against the tougher D's, he'll make it to 1,961.1,961 if he just has average days the rest of the way out. This means we are assuming he'll not have another huge game this season, will not go over 159 in any game from here on out, and will be held to less than 130 yards for every remaining game other than against Oakland. The record will be tough, but getting to 2,000 looks like little more than an "average" accomplishment from here on out. :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
He's on pace, and if Baltimore continues to improve the passing game AT ALL, teams will not be able to play the 8 and 9 man fronts he's been seeing. Key factors are going to be injury, and well injury. If he stays healthy, he gets the record, without question. The defense isn't going to suddenly crumble. They'll have a bad week here and there, but even down by 14, they will stick w/ the running game, because that's how they move the ball, and they have the defense that can hold the opponent down, allowing them the time to catch up in the running game. Boller is steadilly improving, and will change the way teams try to stop him. The step down from Gold and Mobley isn't huge. Donnie Spragen is (IMHO) a better, but slower, backer than Gold. Okay, the step down from Mobs to I would have to think Keith Burns is a bit more significant, but they still have Wilson, and their entire front 4 rotation, and their entire secondary healthy. Jamal pounded the Broncos, and the Broncos will show that pounding as NE scores about 30 in Invesco on Monday. With their offense unable to move the ball, expect the #1 AFC (yardage) to be on the field much more, giving up many more yards, until they get a real QB back. Stay away from major injuries, and the record is his, and if the Ravens stay in the playoff hunt, so will the MVP trophy.

Never! All I have to do is let the inkling of a positive thought creep into my brain about my FF team and all goes to hell. I would prove it to you and type something nice about one of my players, but I am not willing to throw away my FF season to prove a point. Besides, at this point in the season I have nothing positive to say about any of those losers on my squad anyway :rant: :hot: ;)
H.K., I guess that song from the hair band Europe, "I'm Not Superstitious" doesn't apply to you. :rotflmao:

I will say one thing about Jamal's performance vs. the Broncos this week. It was the first time I've ever seen an NFL defense get so physcially dominated, particularly by one player, that they just quit. The Broncos actually played Jamal tough all game, hitting him hard, limiting his big runs and making him fight for every yard. But after a Kannell interception gave the Ravens the ball at Denver's 28 with a 19-6 lead and 2:00 left, the game was essentially over. And when Jamal took that last handoff, you could see that the Broncos just didn't want to take any more of the punishment, so they got out of the way and let Jamal walk untouched into the endzone.It was the single most uncontested TD I've seen since the Packers intentionally let the Broncos score at the end of Super Bowl 32.Have you ever seen an entire D physically beaten into submission by an RB before? I think the lick Jamal put on Mobley probably had something to do with it.

I will say one thing about Jamal's performance vs. the Broncos this week. It was the first time I've ever seen an NFL defense get so physcially dominated, particularly by one player, that they just quit. The Broncos actually played Jamal tough all game, hitting him hard, limiting his big runs and making him fight for every yard. But after a Kannell interception gave the Ravens the ball at Denver's 28 with a 19-6 lead and 2:00 left, the game was essentially over. And when Jamal took that last handoff, you could see that the Broncos just didn't want to take any more of the punishment, so they got out of the way and let Jamal walk untouched into the endzone.It was the single most uncontested TD I've seen since the Packers intentionally let the Broncos score at the end of Super Bowl 32.Have you ever seen an entire D physically beaten into submission by an RB before? I think the lick Jamal put on Mobley probably had something to do with it.
I guess Jamal's two unsuccessful attempts to pound it in from the one yard line helped weaken the Bronco D for later in the game? I feel much better about him now :bag: :rotflmao:

You make a great point about Jamal not being able to score from the 2-yard line this week. That’s a lot more significant than 130 yards and a TD. But that’s nothing: check out this sequence of carries he had over the course of two possessions in another game this season:Fourth and one: C. Taylor for 4 yards (my gosh, they’re letting Taylor take the short yardage carries over Jamal!)First and ten: Jamal for -1 yardsSecond and 11: Jamal for 3 yardsNext possessionSecond and 10: Jamal for no gainFirst and goal from the 2: Jamal for -4Second and goal: Jamal for 4 yardsThird and goal: Jamal for no gainThat’s horrible! Six consecutive carries for 2 yards, getting pulled on fourth and one, and failing to convert on three carries from the two. Terrible!And here I was getting distracted by the other carries he had that game. You know, the 24 other carries that went for 293 yards and two TDs.I am going to keep a close eye on this Jamal Lewis situation from here on out and will probably bench him if he fails to convert another red zone carry. Thanks for the tip!

I will say one thing about Jamal's performance vs. the Broncos this week. It was the first time I've ever seen an NFL defense get so physcially dominated, particularly by one player, that they just quit.

The Broncos actually played Jamal tough all game, hitting him hard, limiting his big runs and making him fight for every yard. But after a Kannell interception gave the Ravens the ball at Denver's 28 with a 19-6 lead and 2:00 left, the game was essentially over. And when Jamal took that last handoff, you could see that the Broncos just didn't want to take any more of the punishment, so they got out of the way and let Jamal walk untouched into the endzone.

It was the single most uncontested TD I've seen since the Packers intentionally let the Broncos score at the end of Super Bowl 32.

Have you ever seen an entire D physically beaten into submission by an RB before? I think the lick Jamal put on Mobley probably had something to do with it.
I guess Jamal's two unsuccessful attempts to pound it in from the one yard line helped weaken the Bronco D for later in the game? I feel much better about him now :bag: :rotflmao:
The argument here is so weak that I just have to play along:1-10-KC36 (2:23) P. Holmes left end to KC 37 for 1 yard (P.Buchanon). (1 YARD?)

2-9-KC37 (2:16) T. Green pass to T. Richardson to KC 44 for 7 yards (E.Barton).

3-2-KC44 (2:03) P. Holmes left end to KC 45 for 1 yard (R.Woodson, R.Coleman). Play Challenged by KC and Upheld. (Timeout #3 by KC.) This was to end the game!!!! 1 stinking yard???? HOW LAME IS THAT?

4-1-KC45 (1:58) J. Baker punts 49 yards to OAK 6, Center-K. Gammon, downed by KC-M. Boerigter.

Oakland Raiders at 01:47

1-10-OAK6 (1:47) M.Tuiasosopo right end pushed ob at OAK 10 for 4 yards (E. Warfield).

2-6-OAK10 (1:39) PENALTY on OAK-B.Sims, False Start, 5 yards, enforced at OAK 10 - No Play.

2-11-OAK5 (1:39) M.Tuiasosopo pass to J.Rice to OAK 13 for 8 yards (W. Shields).

3-3-OAK13 (1:16) (No Huddle) M.Tuiasosopo pass to J.Rice to OAK 36 for 23 yards (S. Harts).

1-10-OAK36 (1:00) (No Huddle) M.Tuiasosopo spiked the ball to stop the clock.

2-10-OAK36 :-)59) M.Tuiasosopo pass to J.Porter to KC 29 for 35 yards (S. Harts).

1-10-KC29 :-)39) M.Tuiasosopo spiked the ball to stop the clock.

2-10-KC29 :-)39) M.Tuiasosopo pass incomplete to J.Porter.

3-10-KC29 :-)34) M.Tuiasosopo pass incomplete to J.Rice.

4-10-KC29 :-)29) M.Tuiasosopo pass to J.Rice to KC 14 for 15 yards.

1-10-KC14 :-)11) M.Tuiasosopo pass incomplete to T.Brown.

2-10-KC14 :-)07) M.Tuiasosopo pass to T.Brown to KC 1 for 13 yards (J. Woods, G. Wesley).

The fact that Holmes couldn't make the first down against the worst team in the NFL statistically against the run to WIN THE GAME, this worries me sick. Look at the remaining plays, heck they nearly lost because he couldn't get 2 yards against the worst rushing defense in the NFL. MVP? Not with performances like that.

Sarcasm :thumbup:

Dave Dodson aren't you the least bit worried about Jamal Lewis' next three games? He faces Jacksonville at home who has a pretty good run defense. After that he has to go to St Louis and Miami, two teams that right now are stopping running games cold.

Dave Dodson aren't you the least bit worried about Jamal Lewis' next three games? He faces Jacksonville at home who has a pretty good run defense. After that he has to go to St Louis and Miami, two teams that right now are stopping running games cold.
I think every back is going to have some tough games, that's the nature of the NFL. When you say "worried" I am not sure what you mean. I think he'll put up solid numbers in those games, but I don't think he'd break the record if he had to play at Miami every week from here on out. Denver was stopping RB's cold as well, but Jamal had a nice game against them so I'd expect more of the same.

Interesting article regarding backs going at the rushing title in today's Goose Chase. I was about to post the link, but realized I'm not supposed to. It lends a little credence to the pro Jamal argument.

Dodson and The Man bring up extremely valid points, looks like you guys are starting to come around to my way of thinking...by the way, you should both seek help immediately :rotflmao:

And Chase Stuart follows up with part 2 in Goose Chase today basically negating any chance that he will have of breaking the record. His prediction is that he will end up with a rushing total in the 1800s. I think it will be in the low 1900s myself, but it should be interesting to track it.

And Chase Stuart follows up with part 2 in Goose Chase today basically negating any chance that he will have of breaking the record. His prediction is that he will end up with a rushing total in the 1800s. I think it will be in the low 1900s myself, but it should be interesting to track it.
...Chase Stuart is a smart man.

FBG has Jamal ranked at the #1 RB this week. This is the official kiss of death for him. NEVER, EVER does the #1 ranked RB perform to their FBG projection. Thanks to FBG for officially killing any chance for Lewis to produce this week and making my predictions about him not hitting 1800 become reality.

3) Opportunity - Billick is giving a lot of carries to Taylor to spell Lewis. Watching this happen is like watching stats go down a drain.
Since no one else will recognize how right I was, I'll remind them.Lewis had 21 carries for 68 yards today, and with Taylor coming in on third downs, Lewis is not getting the "easy" yardage on draws and traps in passing situations. These yards would really help Jamal statisitically, but because they are going to Taylor, Jamal has NO shot at the record. Obviously it hurts his FF value tremendously, too. I am sure the haters will pounce on me for revealing the truth, but I saw this one a mile away....sorry fellas, 1,800 rushing yards is the ceiling here.

Since no one else will recognize how right I was, I'll remind them.Lewis had 21 carries for 68 yards today, and with Taylor coming in on third downs, Lewis is not getting the "easy" yardage on draws and traps in passing situations. These yards would really help Jamal statisitically, but because they are going to Taylor, Jamal has NO shot at the record. Obviously it hurts his FF value tremendously, too. I am sure the haters will pounce on me for revealing the truth, but I saw this one a mile away....sorry fellas, 1,800 rushing yards is the ceiling here.
For all JLew owners; you know have 'the' stud, when the doorprize is an 1800-yard season. Enjoy.

What did you see a mile away? You are saying in preseason you saw he wouldn't rush for 1800 yards? Are we to the season's end yet? Maybe he doesn't break the record, but since only one back in NFL history has the record, statistically you won't get many props for going out on a limb.You also said that his carries would be reduced from the sore shoulder. He went on to break his record for carries the next week with 32 and rush for 2 100 yard games since your wonderful prediction. You said he would get pulled at the goal line which he hasn't. You said that Taylor would dip into his carries which he hasn't. He has one poor game against a defense I said he would struggle against, nothing more nothing less. If he goes for 200 plus against Oakland and 100 a week from here on out I am sure you'll be happy to point out some other baseless reason for him not getting to 1800+. I wouldn't be shocked if after he gets to 1800 you'll provide us with many reasons he shouldn't have.I think he'll get to 1800 as I said before, the record will be tough to get, that's why it's stood for so long.

When this thread was posted, the question was "will Jamal break the single season rushing record?". That was after week 5. I listed my reasons why he wouldn't sniff it and I am being proven right. I am right about Taylor, too. Lewis has lost 157 rushing yards to Taylor so far this year, that's a considerable amount to give up. Lewis needs those numbers badly, but Taylor is like a giant Hoover sucking away stats. How many rushing yards has LT lost to other RB's this year? Less than 50.Let's look at a reasonable expectation for the remaining half of the season:Through eight games, Lewis has 1045 yards rushing, or 130 per game. However, Lewis had one HUGE game that has been the anomaly to his totals this year, and since then his YPC is steadily dropping and so is his output. If we take out the 295 yard effort vs. CLE he only averages 107 yards rushing in the other seven games.If he maintains an average of 107 the rest of the way he'll get his 1800, HOWEVER, if he averages 94 or less, he won't get 1800. One or two more 60/70 yard efforts and it will be extremely tough to hit 1,800. With a rookie QB and no real receiving threats, Lewis will have at least one or two more difficult outings...assuming he stays healthy.For whatever reason, people get so emotional about reasonable expectations for Jamal, I am not sure why that is....Last year he had about 1700 total yards and 7 TD's after coming off a knee surgery, this year he will slightly improve upon those numbers, but he will not rewrite the record books.Sorry if this offends anyone, just giving an honest analysis.

LT isn't even in the top 5 in the NFL in rushing after this week so maybe he'd be better if someone did take some carries from him. Your points are usually based on shock effect rather than logic or fact. After you predicted he'd lose carries with the sore shoulder I assured you he'd be fine. He went on to 2 straight 100 yard games and a record high in carries.How many carries do you want Jamal to get? He's still on pace for a huge amount of carries, and with his speed I just don't see him averaging only 94 yards per game for here on out against a set of defenses that as a group are giving up a substantial amount of yards above 94 a week.Additionally, you haven't been proven right at all. He's still on pace to break the record. You are simply giving yourself credit for being right once in the past 4 weeks. We'll agree to disagree from here on out.

Additionally, you haven't been proven right at all. He's still on pace to break the record. You are simply giving yourself credit for being right once in the past 4 weeks. We'll agree to disagree from here on out.
DD,He's "on pace" only if you assume he can bust another 295 yard game.Not too sure what was so shocking about my last post, it was primarily numbers driven. You and I have disagreed on this one since the outset and I will be checking back each week in this thread with my thoughts. I look forward to hearing your takes as the year progresses...I still say 1800 is the absolute ceiling, which would mean that Jamal's best work is behind him this year. See you in a week!H.K.

I'm in HK's camp although I think Jamal will take it to the 1900-2000 level. Just MHO. I know a lot of folks on this thread would like to see him do it. I actually have him in one key league. I just don't think he is that kind of back. We will see. He plays tough. However, if somebody was to tell me that going into next season, Clinton Portis and LT2 would play injury free throughout the year, and that their respective coaches would use them properly, I would almost guarantee that the rushing record would get broken. Breaking 2,000 or the record, requires a lot of things. First of all, it requires a stud RB(LT2, CP, RW, DM, AG, SD). Second, a well balanced team with a great offensive line to plow over the defenders as well as keep the secondary men honest so that pulling off the play action is a no brainer. Third, that stud RB has to want to change history and work. CP has the potential but he's starting to fester a soft reputation. Will he turn it around is the question.

OK, Dodson this one's for you. It was not a bad effort by Jamal against the Rams but still below his YTD per game average and hardly what it should have been considering the match-up.He's got 1156 total rush yards so far and needs about 650 the rest of the way to eclipse 1800. Here's his remaining schedule:Nov 16 @Miami Nov 23 Seattle Nov 30 San Francisco Dec 7 Cincinnati Dec 14 @Oakland Dec 21 @Cleveland Dec 28 Pittsburgh The last two games Jamal is averaging 89 yards per game, in order to rush for 1800 he'll need to get 92 per game from here on out. Knowing that Miami and Pittsburgh will hold him far under that number, he can still have a big game or two and still come up short.With the injury to Boller and Billick's play calling, I am extremely confident that he won't hit 1,800. Interested in hearing your thoughts.H.K.

Knowing that Miami and Pittsburgh will hold him far under that number
Based on what? The Titans ran all over the 'Phins yesterday...Similarly, he gets the Browns again, and Cincy and Oakland are hardly brick walls against the run.HERD

Based on what? The Titans ran all over the 'Phins yesterday...Similarly, he gets the Browns again, and Cincy and Oakland are hardly brick walls against the run.HERD
HERD,Based on the Titans passing game opening up the run. The Ravens are the most one dimensional team in football. You can not compare the Titans offense to the Ravens. Oakland shut down CuMar yesterday and the Jets have a passing game to take the pressure off him. Cincy can score points and it will be easy for them to get a lead and take Jamal out of the game. H.K.

Don't pull that tunnell-vision B.S. with me. :thumbup: The Jets ran all over the Raiders. You conveniently left out Lamont Jordan's line, which happened to be greater then CuMart's. Didn't think I'd see that?Similarly, while you are correct that the Titans passing game opened things up, you are treating this like its in a vaccum where Eddie/Holcomb/Brown are of the same talent level as Jamal.....uh, they aren't.HERD

Don't pull that tunnell-vision B.S. with me. :thumbup: The Jets ran all over the Raiders. You conveniently left out Lamont Jordan's line, which happened to be greater then CuMart's. Didn't think I'd see that?Similarly, while you are correct that the Titans passing game opened things up, you are treating this like its in a vaccum where Eddie/Holcomb/Brown are of the same talent level as Jamal.....uh, they aren't.HERD
Right back at you. Lamont Jordan busted a long one on third and short that really skewed his numbers vs. OAK, so you are just reading the stat lines, too_Obviously I think the sun is setting on him due to the Ravens lack of firepower. Watching Jamal repeatedly put the ball on the carpet was painful, too. What are are your expectations for Jamal the rest of the way, the record, 2000, 1800, what do you think?

Actually, even without the long run, the Jets went 25/91 (3.64 ypc). I'm not splitting hairs, just saying that the Raiders rush D is not going to be mistaken for the Titans rush D anytime soon...Anyway, I think he'll get the 2k, but not the record. His fumbling last night was a big problem and its reasonable to think he might have eeked out a couple more yards, but those things happen. I suspect he'll have a couple more big games this year, but for all the detractors who suggest his numbers are the result of 1 big game, I'd encourage you to take note of how consistant he is. He's gone over 100 in every game but 2, IRRC. That is impressive and indicative of the fact that he should be able to keep it up.HERD

Over 2K? That's 120 per game the rest of the way....pretty optimistic.OK, we are both on record, we'll see how it pans out.

Jamal Lewis had 90 yards at halftime.Once Redman came in though, Jamal Lewis was done for the night, everyone knew it. With boller at least there was the threat of pass. After that, no way.Jamal will get his 2k. No record though.F

Cincy can score points and it will be easy for them to get a lead and take Jamal out of the game.
The Rams were up 14-0 quite early last night, yet they still went the Jamal route. No matter the score, the Ravens best chance to move the ball, and get back in any game is to give Jamal the ball. Their D is simply awesome. They have to believe that D can hold anybody down to let their plodding O get back in the game. Putting the ball down 2x was inexcusable. Neither hit should have been fumble causing, but they were. I still say Jamal can do it. The D's on the schedule are irrelevent. It's how the Ravens come out an execute. I expected no less than 150 and 2 td's last night, but didn't get it. He'll probably have 2-3 more sub 100 games, but also 2-3 150+ games. You cannot predict it. My gut says he can get 2k, and a strong run at the record.

Knowing that Miami and Pittsburgh will hold him far under that number, he can still have a big game or two and still come up short.
Hmmmm, Lewis ran for 69 yards against the Steelers in week 1 in Pitt. Do you think his numbers drop siginificantly at home? Considering the Steelers have been horrendous on offense(that is when they are not playing the Cardinals) don't you think that the stout Ravens D that made the Rams O look like a JV squad last night will be putting that rock back in Lewis' hands enough to get him a few more than the 15 carries he had against the Steelers the first time they played?And as Miami's woes on Offense continue, the D will follow. The more 3 and outs they have the longer that D stays on the field. Jamal will wear that D down late in the game....

I'm not sure if he breaks the record or not, but to say that he will be held significantly under 90 yards by Pitt and Miami is pure supposition and not based on reality...

plus you have to wonder with Billick not sticking with JLew for some gd knows why reason it may be tough to break. Yes, he had a few fumbles, but besides that, when the guy runs all over the RAM's Defense and they still had a chance to win it, you have to really worry when BB decides to go with the pass.

Based on what? The Titans ran all over the 'Phins yesterday...
Fins run defense is completely different without Zach Thomas.His health will certainly matter when Jamal rumbles into town.

plus you have to wonder with Billick not sticking with JLew for some gd knows why reason it may be tough to break. Yes, he had a few fumbles, but besides that, when the guy runs all over the RAM's Defense and they still had a chance to win it, you have to really worry when BB decides to go with the pass.
Yep. It was amazing that Billick put the ball in Redman's hands when the Ravens had the lead and Jamal had been so successful running the ball. The Rams defense was tired and he had them right where he wanted them. For some reason Billick decided to air it out an he ended up giving that game away last night.

Yep. It was amazing that Billick put the ball in Redman's hands when the Ravens had the lead and Jamal had been so successful running the ball. The Rams defense was tired and he had them right where he wanted them. For some reason Billick decided to air it out an he ended up giving that game away last night.
I still can't understand it. Redman couldn't hit the broadside of a barn last night, and Lewis had 80 in the first half. Give him the damn rock!Still think he has an outside shot at the record, but if BB goes more pass with Redman in and Boeller is out for any length of time then he won't have a shot in hell at the record.

I still can't understand it. Redman couldn't hit the broadside of a barn last night, and Lewis had 80 in the first half. Give him the damn rock!Still think he has an outside shot at the record, but if BB goes more pass with Redman in and Boeller is out for any length of time then he won't have a shot in hell at the record.
jamal seemed tired to me.Missed the beginning but from the announcers gawking at his legs so much I imagine he didn't have run 3-4 yards and get tackled it was well earned yardage. When Taylor came in in the 4th, squirting the gatorade bottle in his mouth, the guy looked "beat". He went back in and slugged thru but...Redman shouldn't be on the team then. If he doesn't have the arm to make NFL caliber simple throws then sign someone else. They wasted a draft pick on him and continue to pay for that waste rather than admit they goofed.Was Musa healthy? Would have liked to see he and Taylor take turns pounding it. Jamal softenned that D up some, would have been fun to watch.

Ravens | Boller Injury Serious - from www.KFFL.comMon, 10 Nov 2003 12:08:33 -0800ESPNews reports Baltimore Ravens QB Kyle Boller (quadriceps) suffered a torn quadriceps muscle in the Week 10 game and could go on injured reserve.
OK, 11 in a box now that Redman is the starter? Ceiling for Lewis is now 1300......

I imagine this thread is dying because people have come to realize that Lewis has NO shot at the record and NO shot at 2000 yards.His 88 yard performance this week gives him a 1244 yards on the year with six games to play. He would have to average 126 yards rushing per game to get to 2000, but he has averaged only 89 yards per game for the last three weeks.Should he continue on his 89 yards rushing per game average (or worse) he'll finish under 1800 yards on the season....which is where I said he'd finish many weeks ago.

I imagine this thread is dying because people have come to realize that Lewis has NO shot at the record and NO shot at 2000 yards.
The thread is dying because no one cares but you. You predicted that Jamal Lewis wouldn't do something that only 4 RBs in NFL history have done...whoop de freakin' doo. Act like you have been right about something before.

The thread is dying because no one cares but you. You predicted that Jamal Lewis wouldn't do something that only 4 RBs in NFL history have done...whoop de freakin' doo.
Obviously you are like some others around here that hate people who understand FF and bring realistic expectations to players' performances. Fortunately you and others like you are in the minority. I was villified for trying to set the record straight on Jamal, but due to my accurate analysis of his situation and Lewis' projected decline, I helped many others see the light and trade him so they could acquire RB's who are far better FF players than him.

I imagine this thread is dying because people have come to realize that Lewis has NO shot at the record and NO shot at 2000 yards.
The thread is dying because no one cares but you. You predicted that Jamal Lewis wouldn't do something that only 4 RBs in NFL history have done...whoop de freakin' doo. Act like you have been right about something before.
:yes: :thumbup: :rotflmao:

NAY! IT IS NAY I MUST SAY!!!!!!

Reasons Jamal has no shot at the record (drum roll please):

1) Kyle Boller - No threat of a passing game will make every rushing yard that much tougher to get.

2) Injury risk - Lewis has an injury history. He takes (and gives) a lot of punishment, but he gets hurt as a result. Exhibit A is this week's injury report.

3) Opportunity - Billick is giving a lot of carries to Taylor to spell Lewis. Watching this happen is like watching stats go down a drain.

4) Karma - I have Jamal on my fantasy team and I am like the kiss of death for whoever I draft. I had Priest last year and as soon as he got within a whisker of the TD record, everything went kablooey. Check out Edge this year if you need more proof.

There you have it, so it is, so it shall be!

PS - Hey mlwinokur, I am sure you'll keep this one in the archives, just in case ;)
OK, these were the reasons you cited for Lewis not breaking the record. Let's look at them, because its important to be right for the right reasons--not to just be right. Also, please note that these are my firsts posts in this thread...I never predicted that Jamal would either break the record nor fall short of it. 1. OK, I don't exactly recall anyone arguing that Boller was the next coming of Marino, but I guess you were right--Boller did not present a credible passing threat. But, on the other hand, my guess is that most FF sites had Boller rated around #25 or worse at the beginning of this season.

2. Injury has not materially affected his performance. IMO, he is no more dinged up than any other feature back at this point of the season. See #3 below also.

3. Lewis' carries went from 23 per game in the first 5 games to 25 per game in the last 5. I guess Tayor didn't have a big impact on his opportunities.

4. Karma. I don't know, this doesn't sound like a valid reason to me.

The thread is dying because no one cares but you. You predicted that Jamal Lewis wouldn't do something that only 4 RBs in NFL history have done...whoop de freakin' doo.
Obviously you are like some others around here that hate people who understand FF and bring realistic expectations to players' performances.
I don't have a problem with those things. I just don't see how your bump helps me "understand FF and bring realistic expectations to players' performances."

OK, these were the reasons you cited for Lewis not breaking the record. Let's look at them, because its important to be right for the right reasons--not to just be right.
Not sure where I was wrong at all. After Lewis started with over 700 yards in five games, I said he would only get 1100 in the remaining eleven and took a lot of heat for saying that....I actually bump the thread for the guys that disagreed with me initially to keep the thread alive from a discussion standpoint because it's fun. Jamal still has a chance to go over 2000, but I think most have realized that it more of a pipe dream than a true possibility..I saw you posted my initial four reasons for why I didn't think Jamal would break the record. Those items were posted in week five when Jamal could do wrong in most people's eyes, all have been 100% on the money. You can try to put your spin on detracting from my foresight, but you can not refute that all of those factors have come into play to prevent Jamal from even sniffing the record-1) Raven's QB play has been awful, this was obvious, but overlooked by many as to how much of a negative impact it would have against Lewis. Again, five games into the season many people had dismissed this as being a factor. The NFL knows that all they have to do is stop the run against Baltimore and they'll beat them.2) Nobody knows how much Jamal has been negatively impacted by his sore shoulders but him. However, he has been on the injury report for most of the season and has missed time in games due to injury. These are undeniable proof statements in my favor.3) Chester Taylor has 41 carries for 197 yards so far which doesn't sound like much, but Lewis would be well on his way to the record if those numbers were his. Lewis stays on the field in obvious running situations, but Taylor comes in on third downs and passing situations that allow him to face nickel packages as opposed to eight/nine men fronts. Therefore the running yardage that is easier to get that can help pad stats is not going to Jamal.4) My bad Karma - the most powerful thing going against him...trust me on this one :(

As of today Lewis has 1156 yards. He is still on pace for 2054 yards, putting him 51 yards short of the record if he continues at a pace of 128.4 yards per game. With six games remaining Lewis will need a few really big games to pull off the record. Personally, I think he will probably get about 1900 yards.

actually, the 1156 was before the MIA game..add the 88 vs #2 rush D and JLew sits at:240-1244-7...5.2YPC thru week 11while 'the record' is not probable this year, the Ravens are the youngest team in the history of the NFL at like 25.2 yrs old...and 2nd only to last years teams in least experience w/3.5 (vs 3.25 last yr)The core of this team is built to be together for a few years, and will improve w/a few additions...namely a RT and a WR1 and WR2...to say the ceiling is now 1300 yds is just, well, rediculous...92YPG put him at the 1800 yd mark, and w/games against OAK, CLEV and CINN left, a buck a game is a virtual lock...I'll set the under/over on JLew's rushing yardage at 1899...and expect him to just go over late in the 4th vs Spittsburg late in Dec, as Ravens earn a playoff spot with one of the youngest, least experienced teams in the history of the game

Users who are viewing this thread