What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

McFadden, Felix, and the SEC (1 Viewer)

jabarony

Footballguy
Is anyone else worried about drafting McFadden/Felix because they are from Arkansas, or rather, the SEC. Just a quick rundown of recent SEC backs since about 2003 (or when they became the "best" conference), gives names like Kenny Irons, Cedric Cobbs, Musa Smith, and, of course, the two top-5 Auburn busts Caddy & R. Brown. Perhaps the inbreeding (yes a Southern cheap shot - I couldn't resist) of the schedules by avoiding top teams has caused a bit-o-overrating???

Of course, there is J.Addai, who is doing great. I'm not sure too many backs wouldn't do great with Manning, though.

Not a major concern, as each situation is different. But it did cross my mind as a "Notch Down" for each.

Shaun Alexander had a good career. Jamal Lewis did as well, and maybe has a little bit left in the tank.

To downgrade McFadden and Felix because they played in the SEC makes little sense to me. Each conference has some good RBs and some busts.

Shaun Alexander had a good career. Jamal Lewis did as well, and maybe has a little bit left in the tank. To downgrade McFadden and Felix because they played in the SEC makes little sense to me. Each conference has some good RBs and some busts.
Sure, but just posing the question. And it's only a Slight tick downward. :shock:

That article is off - ACC has 4 as well, Gore, Portis, McGahee, Parker. And F. Taylor is a bit of a stretch. STarter is a loose term in RBBC, of course. In SECs defense, they got Rudi J. as well.

Taylor & Lewis are old as dirt...NFL RB-wise. My point was more recent RBs. Ala Caddy & R. Brown.
Reading comprehension FTW:
Running backs

The SEC edges out the Atlantic Coast Conference on projected starting running backs with seven. Joseph Addai (Indianapolis Colts), Fred Taylor (Jacksonville Jaguars), Jamal Lewis (Cleveland Browns) and Ronnie Brown (Miami Dolphins) lead a group of top halfbacks that beat out a strong ACC group of projected starters that has six starters.

The Pac-10 Conference has five projected starters at running back
As for your point about Taylor being a stretch - are you joking? He was in the Pro Bowl last year and has over 10,000 career rushing yards.----

Try looking at this way - McFadden and Jones played in the conference that produced the most defensive starters in the NFL:

Defensive Breakdown

The SEC leads the way on the defensive side of the ball with 74 projected starters.
Or don't. Be the guy that passes on Larry Johnson because Curtis Enis didn't pan out.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it's unfair to compare dmac and jones to those other rbs just because they all played in the SEC. If you had seen cobbs and musa smith play you'd know they were just mediocre rbs playing behind good o-lines. Caddy and I believe kenny irons had some injury concerns even in college.

:goodposting:

If this is a serious thread...look a little deeper and check the # of defensive players by conference.

Is anyone else worried about drafting McFadden/Felix because they are from Arkansas, or rather, the SEC. Just a quick rundown of recent SEC backs since about 2003 (or when they became the "best" conference), gives names like Kenny Irons, Cedric Cobbs, Musa Smith, and, of course, the two top-5 Auburn busts Caddy & R. Brown. Perhaps the inbreeding (yes a Southern cheap shot - I couldn't resist) of the schedules by avoiding top teams has caused a bit-o-overrating???Of course, there is J.Addai, who is doing great. I'm not sure too many backs wouldn't do great with Manning, though.Not a major concern, as each situation is different. But it did cross my mind as a "Notch Down" for each.
Surely you realize that the performance of backs from other teams that played for other coaches during different seasons has zero bearing on the performance of McFadden and Jones.

Is anyone else worried about drafting McFadden/Felix because they are from Arkansas, or rather, the SEC. Just a quick rundown of recent SEC backs since about 2003 (or when they became the "best" conference), gives names like Kenny Irons, Cedric Cobbs, Musa Smith, and, of course, the two top-5 Auburn busts Caddy & R. Brown. Perhaps the inbreeding (yes a Southern cheap shot - I couldn't resist) of the schedules by avoiding top teams has caused a bit-o-overrating???

Of course, there is J.Addai, who is doing great. I'm not sure too many backs wouldn't do great with Manning, though.

Not a major concern, as each situation is different. But it did cross my mind as a "Notch Down" for each.
wow, so I guess getting laughed away from your cooler at work wasn't enough, you had to shout your ignorance from the rooftops? Lemme give you a quick list off the top of my head:Jamal Lewis

Ronnie Brown

Fred Taylor

Shaun Alexander

Joseph Addai

Travis Henry

Rudi Johnson

also, the SEC has been the best conference for years, it just took the jokers at ESPN a long time to catch on. And if you want to talk about easy schedules, we'll need a whole 'nother thread for the amount of beatdown you would take one that one.

Looked at this article a little closer:

Quarterbacks

It is a little bit of a surprise, but the SEC leads the NFL in projected starters with seven. Eli and Peyton Manning are the headline performers, but a contingent of young arms like Jay Cutler (Denver Broncos), JaMarcus Russell (Oakland Raiders) and Jason Campbell (Washington Redskins) are on the verge of becoming impact quarterbacks in the NFL.

Who are the other 2? Croyle and ?

Running backs

The SEC edges out the Atlantic Coast Conference on projected starting running backs with seven. Joseph Addai (Indianapolis Colts), Fred Taylor (Jacksonville Jaguars), Jamal Lewis (Cleveland Browns) and Ronnie Brown (Miami Dolphins) lead a group of top halfbacks

Tight Ends

Jason Witten (Dallas Cowboys) and Ben Watson (New England Patriots) lead a SEC class that edges out the ACC with eight projected starters.

Offensive Guards

Led by Alan Faneca (New York Jets), Shawn Andrews (Philadelphia Eagles) and Randy Thomas (Washington Redskins), the SEC is the leader at projected offensive guard starters with 15.

Offensive Centers

It is a three-way tie with the ACC, Big Ten and SEC, each with five projected starters at the center position.

Defensive Ends

It’s the SEC in a landslide. Led by Richard Seymour (New England Patriots), Charles Grant (New Orleans Saints), Derrick Burgess (Oakland Raiders) and Leonard Little (St. Louis Rams), the SEC leads the way with 17 projected starters at defensive end.

Defensive Tackles

Most would guess the SEC is first, with 13 projected starters. (tied with Big 12)

Inside Linebackers

The SEC, led by DeMeco Ryans (Houston Texans), Patrick Willis (San Francisco 49ers), Karlos Dansby (Arizona Cardinals) and Will Witherspoon (St. Louis Rams), edges out the ACC with 10 projected starters.

Cornerbacks

The leader of the group at cornerback is former Georgia star and current Denver Broncos standout cornerback Champ Bailey, for the SEC. There are a host of young potential standouts that have come out of the SEC ranks over the past few drafts and the SEC edges out the ACC with 14 projected starters at cornerback.

Safeties

It’s the SEC and the Big 12 that share the top spot. Ken Hamlin (Dallas Cowboys), LaRon Landry (Washington Redskins), Reggie Nelson (Jacksonville Jaguars) and Gibril Wilson (Oakland Raiders) lead a group from the SEC with 12 projected starters.

10 positions owned by the SEC. Also never saw SEC finish worse than third in any cat. SEC owns every other conference in college football. Eat it.

Last edited by a moderator:
The SEC has more starting running backs in the NFL than any other conference.

http://www.houmatoday.com/article/20080706...rs_coming_from_
That article is off - ACC has 4 as well, Gore, Portis, McGahee, Parker. And F. Taylor is a bit of a stretch. STarter is a loose term in RBBC, of course. In SECs defense, they got Rudi J. as well.Taylor & Lewis are old as dirt...NFL RB-wise. My point was more recent RBs. Ala Caddy & R. Brown.
:confused: Caddy got injured... that has nothing to do with the SEC.

Brown was awesome before injury... again nothing to do with SEC.

Taylor is the starter as well.

When were the other backs you mentioned even rated highly, like McFadden and Jones.

Man, this SEC hate is ridiculous.

Again, people see greatness, and all they can do is hate. I might be a hater to if I was locked in to some creampuff conference like the Big 10 or the Pac 10. Must suck to look at that and have to pretend it's football.

sholditch said:

wow, so I guess getting laughed away from your cooler at work wasn't enough, you had to shout your ignorance from the rooftops? Lemme give you a quick list off the top of my head:Jamal Lewis

Ronnie Brown

Fred Taylor

Shaun Alexander

Joseph Addai

Travis Henry

Rudi Johnson

also, the SEC has been the best conference for years, it just took the jokers at ESPN a long time to catch on. And if you want to talk about easy schedules, we'll need a whole 'nother thread for the amount of beatdown you would take one that one.

Quarterbacks

It is a little bit of a surprise, but the SEC leads the NFL in projected starters with seven. Eli and Peyton Manning are the headline performers, but a contingent of young arms like Jay Cutler (Denver Broncos), JaMarcus Russell (Oakland Raiders) and Jason Campbell (Washington Redskins) are on the verge of becoming impact quarterbacks in the NFL.

Running backs

The SEC edges out the Atlantic Coast Conference on projected starting running backs with seven. Joseph Addai (Indianapolis Colts), Fred Taylor (Jacksonville Jaguars), Jamal Lewis (Cleveland Browns) and Ronnie Brown (Miami Dolphins) lead a group of top halfbacks

Tight Ends

Jason Witten (Dallas Cowboys) and Ben Watson (New England Patriots) lead a SEC class that edges out the ACC with eight projected starters.

Offensive Guards

Led by Alan Faneca (New York Jets), Shawn Andrews (Philadelphia Eagles) and Randy Thomas (Washington Redskins), the SEC is the leader at projected offensive guard starters with 15.

Offensive Centers

It is a three-way tie with the ACC, Big Ten and SEC, each with five projected starters at the center position.

Defensive Ends

It’s the SEC in a landslide. Led by Richard Seymour (New England Patriots), Charles Grant (New Orleans Saints), Derrick Burgess (Oakland Raiders) and Leonard Little (St. Louis Rams), the SEC leads the way with 17 projected starters at defensive end.

Defensive Tackles

Most would guess the SEC is first, with 13 projected starters. (tied with Big 12)

Inside Linebackers

The SEC, led by DeMeco Ryans (Houston Texans), Patrick Willis (San Francisco 49ers), Karlos Dansby (Arizona Cardinals) and Will Witherspoon (St. Louis Rams), edges out the ACC with 10 projected starters.

Cornerbacks

The leader of the group at cornerback is former Georgia star and current Denver Broncos standout cornerback Champ Bailey, for the SEC. There are a host of young potential standouts that have come out of the SEC ranks over the past few drafts and the SEC edges out the ACC with 14 projected starters at cornerback.

Safeties

It’s the SEC and the Big 12 that share the top spot. Ken Hamlin (Dallas Cowboys), LaRon Landry (Washington Redskins), Reggie Nelson (Jacksonville Jaguars) and Gibril Wilson (Oakland Raiders) lead a group from the SEC with 12 projected starters.

10 positions owned by the SEC. Also never saw SEC finish worse than third in any cat. SEC owns every other conference in college football. Eat it.
:confused: That's a fresh order of "pwnage!11!!" right there.

sholditch said:

Quarterbacks

Grossman?

Wow, telling that I am a Bears fan and that one slipped by me. I guess I stopped thinking of him as a QB long ago.

What's funny is that the way things are going for the Bears this camp season, they could very well end up in the top five picks and could be staring down none other than Tim Tebow come draft time, yet another Florida QB.

sholditch said:

Ronnie Brown

Fred Taylor

Shaun Alexander

Joseph Addai

Travis Henry

Rudi Johnson

Quarterbacks

Running backs

Tight Ends

Offensive Guards

Offensive Centers

Defensive Ends

Defensive Tackles

Inside Linebackers

Cornerbacks

Safeties

And then there's that Deuce guy.Add Domanick Davis pre-injury.

Not superstars, but good backs in the league:

Lebrandon Toefield

Kevin Faulk

Wow, telling that I am a Bears fan and that one slipped by me. I guess I stopped thinking of him as a QB long ago.What's funny is that the way things are going for the Bears this camp season, they could very well end up in the top five picks and could be staring down none other than Tim Tebow come draft time, yet another Florida QB.
I'm a UGA fan but I will admit that tim tebow is a pretty good running back

Again, people see greatness, and all they can do is hate. I might be a hater to if I was locked in to some creampuff conference like the Big 10 or the Pac 10. Must suck to look at that and have to pretend it's football.
The Big 10 may lack a lot of the upside or pure talent of the SEC (easily the best conference, imo) but I don't think it is fair to call it a creampuff conference as it regularly produces solid lineman and hard-nosed football players.The Pac 10, on the other hand, defines that word. Virtually every player coming out of there, especially "skill" position players, should be viewed skeptically.

Wow, telling that I am a Bears fan and that one slipped by me. I guess I stopped thinking of him as a QB long ago.What's funny is that the way things are going for the Bears this camp season, they could very well end up in the top five picks and could be staring down none other than Tim Tebow come draft time, yet another Florida QB.
I'm a UGA fan but I will admit that tim tebow is a pretty good running back
That's weird, because he threw way more touchdowns, fewer INTs, way more yards, a way higher completion percentage, a way higher YPA, and a much higher QB rating than your guy I do believe that's EVERY major passing category. :thumbdown:Oh yeah, and that's not to mention the highest passer rating ever by a heisman winner. I guess that RB can throw the ball sometimes too.Tebow: 234-350 67% 3286yds 32td 6int 9.4ypa 172.47 ratingStafford: 194-348 56% 2523yds 19td 10int 7.2ypa 128.92 rating

OP=Big 10 homer?
HH: 35 MAN ROSTERSQB: Brees, Schaub, KKolbRB: ADP MTurner, CTaylor, LenDaleWhite, LaMont, CBrown, M.Bush, Lo BookerWR: Chad, Calvin Johnson, BMarshall, DJarrett, DBranch, DAveryTE: Heath Miller, MLewisK: Vinatieri, LongwellDL: JTuck, CGrant, DBurgess, DHarveyLB: LBriggs, DeRyans, Ray Lewis, DJ Williams, JMayoDB: AWilson, DWitner, Eric Weddle, CNdukwe(1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1FLEX, 1TE, 1K, 2 DE, 2LB, 2DB)(1 pt per 25/pass 1/10 rush/rec, 1 PPR, 6per tds, 4 per td pass-2 picks,fumbles)================================================================SS: 45 MAN ROSTERSQB: Hasselbeck, Russell, Warner, TSmithRB: RBush, LWhite, EGraham, Caddy, AGreen, LaMont, FelixJonesWR: Wayne, T.O., JCribbs, ABryant, EWilford, , JHill, LNaanee, DBennett, BWade, KBurtonTE: Heap, DLee, ASmithPK: Kaeding, LongwellDL: JAllen, ChasGrant, Geathers , JMoss, CLongLB: Witherspoon, LBriggs, Beason, Brooking, SCooper, JHarrison, BBellDB: AWilson, RHarper, EWeddle, MJackson, SKnight, KPhillips(1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1RB/WR, 1 WR/TE, 1TE, 1K, 2 DE, 2LB, 2DB 1 D flex1 PPR, 6per tds, 4 per td pass, 4 picks, 2 fumbles, 1.5 tkl and ydg bonuses and more)

How are Caddilac and Ronnie Brown both busts? Also, Auburn has produced a lot of great Running Backs including Joe Cribbs, James Brooks, and Bo Jackson.

The Big 10 may lack a lot of the upside or pure talent of the SEC (easily the best conference, imo) but I don't think it is fair to call it a creampuff conference as it regularly produces solid lineman and hard-nosed football players.The Pac 10, on the other hand, defines that word. Virtually every player coming out of there, especially "skill" position players, should be viewed skeptically.
Obviously this post was way over the top and not meant to be serious. I actually respect Wisconsin and Illinois.

Users who are viewing this thread