What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What's the best draft position? (1 Viewer)

pfalvey

Footballguy
I haven't seen alot of draft position threads as in recent years and am interested to find out what the shark pool thinks is the best draft position this year, in a redraft?

The shark pool says,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,"FIRST"

Same as every year, that's why the 3rd round reversal is getting more popular.

Depends on the league size, but this year, Id have to say the 5th is best. LT2, ADP, Jackson, Westy, and Addai. Not too sold on Addai, so maybe the 4th is best even. Any four of them can take the #1 spot at the end of the season

Depends on the league size, but this year, Id have to say the 5th is best. LT2, ADP, Jackson, Westy, and Addai. Not too sold on Addai, so maybe the 4th is best even. Any four of them can take the #1 spot at the end of the season
I don't understand why Jackson is still #3. The guy is still not in camp and there is no real timeline for when he will be. Furthermore, guys that are injury prone increase their chances for injury when they come into camp late. I have the 5th pick, which I may very well trade out of on draft day. I happen to feel that after LT, AP and Westy are off the board everything else in the first round is questonable. If I don't trade my pick away, I will more than likey take Brady, and I've never taken a QB in the first round.

I Am Rick James said:
The shark pool says,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,"FIRST"Same as every year, that's why the 3rd round reversal is getting more popular.
:IBTL: This question always amazes me.

I Am Rick James said:
The shark pool says,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,"FIRST"Same as every year, that's why the 3rd round reversal is getting more popular.
:cry: This question always amazes me.
It's not first for everyone. If I believed that ADP is the NO. 1 guy this year, the NO. 2 spot would be the best because you can get your guy at a later draft slot, which is ALWAYS what you're looking to do.The reason that NO. 1 is the right answer for you and I is because Lt is the NO. 1 pick in most leagues.To me, the reason No. 1 or 2 is so attractive is not only do you get a stud to start off your team at RB, in rounds 2 and 3 you can get either 2 very strong WR's or get a very solid RB 2 with a strong WR.Your top 3 players should all be strong producers, putting serious pressure on the rest of the league right off the bat.

the real reason 1-3 is so attractive is b/c of the high 3rd round pick that it affords. if i were to ever waste time with a snake draft ever again, i wouldn't mind the very last pick, if it weren't for having to wait so long on a 3rd rounder.

seems like the 3rd round reversal would help with this, but i'll just stick to auctions.

I don't understand why Jackson is still #3. The guy is still not in camp and there is no real timeline for when he will be. Furthermore, guys that are injury prone increase their chances for injury when they come into camp late. I have the 5th pick, which I may very well trade out of on draft day. I happen to feel that after LT, AP and Westy are off the board everything else in the first round is questonable. If I don't trade my pick away, I will more than likey take Brady, and I've never taken a QB in the first round.
I'm in the exact same boat and thinking the exact same thing. Addai does nothing for me and I'm worried about SJax' holdout. I'm trying to trade up or down to get out of this spot.

I'm in the exact same boat and thinking the exact same thing. Addai does nothing for me and I'm worried about SJax' holdout. I'm trying to trade up or down to get out of this spot.
I agree, Ive never been a big fan of guys in high powered offenses that rack up TDs...

1-3 by Far!
Yes yes yes yes yes.Hi all. I stumbled upon this forum from a link on another site. This thread topic is one that I'd like to chime in on because I've raised a little hell about my league's draft lottery every year and plan to raise even more this year.I play in a twelve-team redraft league. In five years, I have never had a top-three pick. I always get one of the bottom three picks, with the exception of 2006 when I had the fifth pick. I've made the playoffs three times, drafting from #9, #12, and #5. While I concede that I dominated my league in 2004 despite drafting from the number twelve slot, it took a high-risk strategy with my first two picks (Manning/Harrison) and a record-breaking season from Manning to pull that off. Unfortunately, my luck ran out and I lost in the first round of the playoffs and finished out of the money. Contrast that with one of the other guys in my league. He's the guy who always makes the playoffs and always squawks about how awesome his ff skills are. He's also the guy who picked in the top three every year but one. The year he didn't pick in the top-three (picking from #9), his team was crap and he missed the playoffs with flying colors. Hmmm.Out of curiosity I looked over our league drafts and league results.Over the last five years, our league champ drafted from these positions: 4th, 6th, 2nd, 2nd, 3rd.Of the fifteen top-three picks over that span, ten have made the playoffs.Of the fifteen bottom-three picks over that span, five have made the playoffs.Of the five teams picking at #1, four made the playoffs. (The guy who failed made a homer pick in '04 and went with Deuce instead of Priest or LT).Of the five teams picking at #12, only two made the playoffs.This inequity must be addressed, but the guys in my league can be stubborn when it comes to new proposals. I know an auction draft is out of the question, so the next best solution is the 3RR. I think it makes much more sense and is more fair than the traditional serpentine draft, but I'll have difficulty selling it to them. The suggestion to allow for each player's choice of slot position is a good one that might help me sell the idea.

I'm also in the same position...Drafting 5 in a 10 team redraft 6pt all TDs. I'm praying Westbrook somehow drops to 5. If Brady is there I'm gonna have a decision to make. If I pick a QB in the first round, I'm worried what RBs are gonna be left in round 2. Where as if I can grab a RB in the first I should be able to get a Romo, Manning or Brees in the 2nd.I just am really afraid of picking Stephen Jackson this year especially at #5. If Brady and Westbrook are gone, I might grab Addai or Barber

For a dissenting point of view, drafting in a 12-teamer at pick 11 worked well for me:

Anderson, Derek CLE QB - 5

Leinart, Matt ARI QB - 7

Barber, Marion DAL RB - 10

Johnson, Larry KCC RB - 6

Jones, Felix DAL RB - 10

Maroney, Laurence NEP RB - 4

Morris, Maurice SEA RB - 4

Rhodes, Dominic IND RB - 4

Berrian, Bernard MIN WR - 8

Curry, Ronald OAK WR - 5

Holmes, Santonio PIT WR - 6

Jones, James GBP WR - 8

Washington, Nate PIT WR - 6

Williams, Roy DET WR - 4

Lee, Donald GBP TE - 8

Shockey, Jeremy NOS TE - 9

Brown, Josh STL PK - 5

Packers, Green Bay GBP Def

Someone posted an analysis of championship victories by draft position in percentages it was very interesting to say the least.

Someone posted an analysis of championship victories by draft position in percentages it was very interesting to say the least.
I think it would be better to analyze based on who makes the playoffs rather than championships. Better to average over 10-14 games than just a few for a given season.

I think it would be better to analyze based on who makes the playoffs rather than championships. Better to average over 10-14 games than just a few for a given season.
WCOFF history is dominated by the #1 drafter. And dominated by the top 4 overall.

Below is the analysis from my league commissioner. This is a 16 team re-draft league. Eight teams make the playoffs.

The 11th draft slot has only made the playoffs 3 times out of 13 years, the 8th draft slot only 4 times, but the 1 slot has made it an amazing 12/13 times!. The 7th seed has only won one playoff game in total out of 6 playoff appearances. The 8, 9 and 16 draft pick has only won 2 playoff games. The 1 & 5 draft pick have made the most Title Games at 4, the 2 and 10 slots have made three, yet the 7, 8 & 14 slots have never made the Title Game. The 1, 10, 12 & 13 draft picks have won it all twice and the 10-13 slots have won the Title Game an amazing 7 of the 13 years!

PLAYOFFS MADE

DRAFT PICK

1 12

2 6

3 7

4 8

5 8

6 6

7 6

8 4

9 5

10 6

11 3

12 8

13 6

14 8

15 6

16 5

TOTAL WINS

IN PLAYOFF

1 12

2 8

3 7

4 6

5 10

6 4

7 1

8 2

9 2

10 10

11 4

12 6

13 7

14 6

15 4

16 2

TIMES MADE

TITLE GAME

1 4

3 2

4 1

5 4

6 1

7 0

8 0

9 1

10 3

11 1

12 2

13 2

14 0

15 1

16 1

TITLE GAME

VICTORIES

1 2

2 1

3 1

5 1

10 2

11 1

12 2

13 2

15 1

1-3 by Far!
Yes yes yes yes yes.Hi all. I stumbled upon this forum from a link on another site. This thread topic is one that I'd like to chime in on because I've raised a little hell about my league's draft lottery every year and plan to raise even more this year.I play in a twelve-team redraft league. In five years, I have never had a top-three pick. I always get one of the bottom three picks, with the exception of 2006 when I had the fifth pick. I've made the playoffs three times, drafting from #9, #12, and #5. While I concede that I dominated my league in 2004 despite drafting from the number twelve slot, it took a high-risk strategy with my first two picks (Manning/Harrison) and a record-breaking season from Manning to pull that off. Unfortunately, my luck ran out and I lost in the first round of the playoffs and finished out of the money. Contrast that with one of the other guys in my league. He's the guy who always makes the playoffs and always squawks about how awesome his ff skills are. He's also the guy who picked in the top three every year but one. The year he didn't pick in the top-three (picking from #9), his team was crap and he missed the playoffs with flying colors. Hmmm.Out of curiosity I looked over our league drafts and league results.Over the last five years, our league champ drafted from these positions: 4th, 6th, 2nd, 2nd, 3rd.Of the fifteen top-three picks over that span, ten have made the playoffs.Of the fifteen bottom-three picks over that span, five have made the playoffs.Of the five teams picking at #1, four made the playoffs. (The guy who failed made a homer pick in '04 and went with Deuce instead of Priest or LT).Of the five teams picking at #12, only two made the playoffs.This inequity must be addressed, but the guys in my league can be stubborn when it comes to new proposals. I know an auction draft is out of the question, so the next best solution is the 3RR. I think it makes much more sense and is more fair than the traditional serpentine draft, but I'll have difficulty selling it to them. The suggestion to allow for each player's choice of slot position is a good one that might help me sell the idea.
2 QB system is the answer. Evens out the playing field and brings the most important position in football to the dance. Also makes the draft much more interesting. Can't lose. Flex (1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE). Make it flex if you're worried about scarcity. Just have all TDs worth 6 points so it behooves everybody to have/get a 2nd QB every week. Influences trades too, which is good. PPR, by the way, with .5 to RBs, 1 to WRs, and 1.5 to TEs.So TE's and QB come up to the same level as RBs and WRs. And a number of different strategies are now included in the fold. As well as the need to adjust to the draft. Much more fun. First couple of rounds are SO much more unpredictable and fun, as they should be.

Last edited by a moderator:
Below is the analysis from my league commissioner. This is a 16 team re-draft league. Eight teams make the playoffs.The 11th draft slot has only made the playoffs 3 times out of 13 years, the 8th draft slot only 4 times, but the 1 slot has made it an amazing 12/13 times!. The 7th seed has only won one playoff game in total out of 6 playoff appearances. The 8, 9 and 16 draft pick has only won 2 playoff games. The 1 & 5 draft pick have made the most Title Games at 4, the 2 and 10 slots have made three, yet the 7, 8 & 14 slots have never made the Title Game. The 1, 10, 12 & 13 draft picks have won it all twice and the 10-13 slots have won the Title Game an amazing 7 of the 13 years!
No offense, but that's meaningless. Small sample. And clearly, your league has different skill levels playing.

I agree, Ive never been a big fan of guys in high powered offenses that rack up TDs...
I agree number 3 is probably the best spot to be in. You have your choice Westbrook, Addia, Brady and two top WR on your next two picks. You are thinking about giving up 3 teir 1 players. Dude what is great about Addia is Payton Manning is going to take what the D gives him. He doesnt care about stats and all teams play the pass so Addia is solid year in and year out. Is he going to break records? No but he will be a top five back once again.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread