What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

My Morning Jacket (1 Viewer)

Sigmund Bloom

Footballguy
Staff member
I was lucky enough to see MMJ this Sunday at Stubb's here in Austin, and let me tell you, this band is feelin it right now. They are on the cusp of a popularity explosion, and you can feel that euphoria in their live show. About that show, expect two and a half hours of intensity, no breaks, no drop in energy, lots of rock, and lots of smiles.

Fall Tour Schedule

They still havent hit the East coast, West coast, or Midwest yet, so there's a good chance they haven't come to your town yet.

Two tour highlights so far:

If you've enjoyed My Morning Jacket's music, and you like live music, then do yourself a favor and get to one of these shows. If you have never heard of MMJ before, and you like alt-country rock, like Neil Young or Wilco, go get At Dawn or It Still Moves, and I promise you won't be disappointed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Saw them in Dallas last Saturday. Insanely awesome. One of the best shows I've seen in a long, long time.
:JEALOUS:I love Badu (can't wait to see her at ACL next month :goodposting: ), and as MMJ has moved more into soul/R&B stylings, they have said that Erykah and Stevie Wonder and the like are major influences. They played Tyrone now and then back in the early part of the decade, and Jim James said in an interview that it would be a dream come true to perform that song with Ms. Badu - the jubilation really comes through, even on the youtube video.

Saw them in Dallas last Saturday. Insanely awesome. One of the best shows I've seen in a long, long time.
Was that really your voice expressing your love for the show in the video that Disco Stu linked in another thread?

:JEALOUS:I love Badu (can't wait to see her at ACL next month :goodposting: ), and as MMJ has moved more into soul/R&B stylings, they have said that Erykah and Stevie Wonder and the like are major influences. They played Tyrone now and then back in the early part of the decade, and Jim James said in an interview that it would be a dream come true to perform that song with Ms. Badu - the jubilation really comes through, even on the youtube video.
It was really amazing to see how into her they were. They're such different artists, on the surface, but they were just fawning over her. She seemed to have a good time, too. She is really hot. Love the hair.There are a series of posts dedicated to the show with some clips here. Check it.

Was that really your voice expressing your love for the show in the video that Disco Stu linked in another thread?
I don't think so. I'm pretty sure that was Stu. We did meet up near the bar, but we separated again.
By the way, I listened to that and couldn't tell what was being said. Translation?

I don't think so. I'm pretty sure that was Stu. We did meet up near the bar, but we separated again.
By the way, I listened to that and couldn't tell what was being said. Translation?
"WHooooooo! I would suck **** to see this show again!" :shrug:

"WHooooooo! I would suck **** to see this show again!" :no:
:shrug: I probably would have, too. I was too drunk to savor every morsel of it.

My Morning Jacket takes its cues from R&B, Rock

Nowhere is that more evident than at My Morning Jacket's concerts, where the band jumps from its own Who-like guitar anthems to songs by Funkadelic, Sly Stone and Erykah Badu. Mr. James says he was first drawn to Ms. Badu's 1997 hit "Tyrone" because it gives him the chance to sing his own name ("You gotta bring Jim, James, Paul and Tyrone").

"That's the silly reason we did it. But it's also a fantastic song," he says, adding that if he could sing "Tyrone" live with Ms. Badu, it would be "a dream come true."

"Erykah's definitely one of the top ones out there today. She's a great artist who incorporates all sorts of music into her records. It's not all just preprogrammed."
Jim James also cites The Muppet Show as another big influence
Artists who push boundaries fascinate Mr. James. Ask him about his childhood love for The Muppet Show, and the singer could talk for hours.

"Television is a dangerous medium because it hypnotizes people and totally sucks the creativity out of your brain. But when it's used correctly and thoughtfully, like The Muppet Show, it can be a really powerful thing," he says.

"I sing a lot of songs in different voices, as different characters, and that probably crept in from The Muppet Show."

MMJ is one of my favorite bands. I think I've seen them live more than any other band (10 or 12 times), and two of those shows are in my top 10 concerts ever.

I'm not a big fan of their new album, Evil Urges---my least favorite of their albums, but there are some gems on this album, and the songs sound much better live.

They will be in Tucson September. It is a work night though. I am tempted to go even though I have never heard them.

"WHooooooo! I would suck **** to see this show again!" :lol:
:lmao: I probably would have, too. I was too drunk to savor every morsel of it.
Savor every morsel of... it? :unsure: And for the record, that wasn't my recording (or voice).

My Morning Jacket takes its cues from R&B, Rock

Nowhere is that more evident than at My Morning Jacket's concerts, where the band jumps from its own Who-like guitar anthems to songs by Funkadelic, Sly Stone and Erykah Badu. Mr. James says he was first drawn to Ms. Badu's 1997 hit "Tyrone" because it gives him the chance to sing his own name ("You gotta bring Jim, James, Paul and Tyrone").

"That's the silly reason we did it. But it's also a fantastic song," he says, adding that if he could sing "Tyrone" live with Ms. Badu, it would be "a dream come true."

"Erykah's definitely one of the top ones out there today. She's a great artist who incorporates all sorts of music into her records. It's not all just preprogrammed."
Jim James also cites The Muppet Show as another big influence
Artists who push boundaries fascinate Mr. James. Ask him about his childhood love for The Muppet Show, and the singer could talk for hours.

"Television is a dangerous medium because it hypnotizes people and totally sucks the creativity out of your brain. But when it's used correctly and thoughtfully, like The Muppet Show, it can be a really powerful thing," he says.

"I sing a lot of songs in different voices, as different characters, and that probably crept in from The Muppet Show."
funny he mentions the muppet show. one of the best shows ive ever seen was their bonnaroo set a few years back where they brought a puppetry troupe with them. there were all of these meandering 15 feet high puppets on stage with them. so bizarre but so cool. see if i can find something on youtube...

Well, read my sig and see how my most recent MMJ experience(s) have been!!!

I think theyre actually slated to be on ACL sometime in the next few months, though I may be confusing them with someone else

Speaking of Okonokos, I actually just d/l something someone did called 'The Okonokos Project' from a fansite thats linked on MMJ's site, and I must say its pret-tay good.

Apparently they played 2 nights at the Fillmore for this show, and recorded both nights, but the official CD is from 1 show. What this guy did was take all the songs from the other night that wrent played both nights, and insert them into the setlist at approximately the same point. While listening, you really cant even tell its not 1 show.

It blows the regular CD outta the water. Does the CD have At Dawn>Strangulation....I Dont think SO!!

...Get Well Soon JJ

I think the thing about MMJ is, you cant just hear a few songs and be like "Wow, this is 1 of the greatest bands ever" (Although, OBH may do that)

You need to hear a lot of their stuff to see their range and what their all about, because they have musical/lyrical depth that most bands dont.

Once you 'see the light', theres no goin back

IMO, theyre certainly 1 of the best bands of the last 25 years, and they have a lot more music to make to further that cause

Live in Nashville and work in music industry. Lead guitar for MMJ painted the inside my house a year and a half ago - no joke. Just shows rock 'n roll lifestyle isn't as sexy as some might think. Great guy, by the way.

Live in Nashville and work in music industry. Lead guitar for MMJ painted the inside my house a year and a half ago - no joke. Just shows rock 'n roll lifestyle isn't as sexy as some might think. Great guy, by the way.
Are you talkin bout Carl Broemel? lead guitar nowOr Johnny Quaid? the lead guitar who left the band before they got semi-'big'?..Im guessing it Johnny, but if it isnt, then likely your painter is a liar

Are you talkin bout Carl Broemel? lead guitar nowOr Johnny Quaid? the lead guitar who left the band before they got big?

..Im guessing it Johnny, but if it isnt, then likely your painter is a liar
:lmao: I can believe they're not rolling in cash, but I can't believe they're taking odd jobs on the side. Not at this point anyway.

Also,

was fun.

I think the thing about MMJ is, you cant just hear a few songs and be like "Wow, this is 1 of the greatest bands ever" (Although, OBH may do that)You need to hear a lot of their stuff to see their range and what their all about, because they have musical/lyrical depth that most bands dont.Once you 'see the light', theres no goin backIMO, theyre certainly 1 of the best bands of the last 25 years, and they have a lot more music to make to further that cause
This is a band I didn't quite "get" for some time. Then, as you say, I immersed myself in all of their stuff and the obsession began. Same thing happened to me with Pavement.

Nigel Tufnel said:
yinzer said:
I think the thing about MMJ is, you cant just hear a few songs and be like "Wow, this is 1 of the greatest bands ever" (Although, OBH may do that)You need to hear a lot of their stuff to see their range and what their all about, because they have musical/lyrical depth that most bands dont.Once you 'see the light', theres no goin backIMO, theyre certainly 1 of the best bands of the last 25 years, and they have a lot more music to make to further that cause
This is a band I didn't quite "get" for some time.
Really? First song I heard a few years ago, I was hooked.

Nigel Tufnel said:
yinzer said:
Just wondering, what song? I heard One Big Holiday in 2003, and I liked it a lot, but I never actually got It Still Moves until a friend of mine got it and recommendedEven then, I liked it a lot, but didnt listen to it as often as I do most of my favorite bands, and then Z came out, and I liked it and revisited ISM.I later finally got around to At Dawn, and they became 1 of my favorite bandsBut It Still Moves is my favorite album :thumbup:

Nigel Tufnel said:
yinzer said:
Just wondering, what song? I heard One Big Holiday in 2003, and I liked it a lot, but I never actually got It Still Moves until a friend of mine got it and recommendedEven then, I liked it a lot, but didnt listen to it as often as I do most of my favorite bands, and then Z came out, and I liked it and revisited ISM.I later finally got around to At Dawn, and they became 1 of my favorite bandsBut It Still Moves is my favorite album :shrug:
Not sure. It might have been Golden. Probably something off of It Still Moves.

Nigel Tufnel said:
yinzer said:
I think the thing about MMJ is, you cant just hear a few songs and be like "Wow, this is 1 of the greatest bands ever" (Although, OBH may do that)

You need to hear a lot of their stuff to see their range and what their all about, because they have musical/lyrical depth that most bands dont.

IMO, theyre certainly 1 of the best bands of the last 25 years, and they have a lot more music to make to further that cause
Just wondering, what song? I heard One Big Holiday in 2003, and I liked it a lot, but I never actually got It Still Moves until a friend of mine got it and recommended

Even then, I liked it a lot, but didnt listen to it as often as I do most of my favorite bands, and then Z came out, and I liked it and revisited ISM.

I later finally got around to At Dawn, and they became 1 of my favorite bands

But It Still Moves is my favorite album :lmao:
I bought It Still Moves about the time it came out, I'd guess. I heard this band was awesome live, but I was still heavily into jamband ####. When I listened to it, I think I was expecting something other than what I got. It was echo-y, and there wasn't enough soloing for my taste. My musical mindset has changed a lot since then and when I revisited It Still Moves I loved it. Now, I can't think of a band that's more up my alley.

I first heard about MMJ on this forum and can now say they're my favorite new band by far. Love the diversity and range of their sound, tributes to Neil Young and just the band in general. I bought Z and then Evil Urges. Looks like I'll have to go ahead and pick up the older stuff too from what I'm hearing here.

Sounds like they put on a helluva live show.

Nigel Tufnel said:
yinzer said:

Just wondering, what song? I heard One Big Holiday in 2003, and I liked it a lot, but I never actually got It Still Moves until a friend of mine got it and recommended

Even then, I liked it a lot, but didnt listen to it as often as I do most of my favorite bands, and then Z came out, and I liked it and revisited ISM.

But It Still Moves is my favorite album :lmao:
I bought It Still Moves about the time it came out, I'd guess. I heard this band was awesome live, but I was still heavily into jamband ####. When I listened to it, I think I was expecting something other than what I got. It was echo-y, and there wasn't enough soloing for my taste. My musical mindset has changed a lot since then and when I revisited It Still Moves I loved it. Now, I can't think of a band that's more up my alley.
As to why I didnt pick up It Still Moves when I first heard them, or get into them more utnil Z came out, was basically the same thing. I was 100% jambands those years, namely Phish, but just jam bandy everything and that def blurred my hearing on MMJ. Once Phish was *done*, I really started listening to a lot more stuffI love the reverb JJ employs on At Dawn and esp ISM. With they way they songwriting has tightened up a bit, not sure you hear it as frequently on future albums

I first heard about MMJ on this forum and can now say they're my favorite new band by far. Love the diversity and range of their sound, tributes to Neil Young and just the band in general. I bought Z and then Evil Urges. Looks like I'll have to go ahead and pick up the older stuff too from what I'm hearing here.Sounds like they put on a helluva live show.
I know some ppl whose first album was Z and like it the most, but im a frequent poster over at the MMJ forum, and I can tell you 95% of the ppl their claim their best album is either It Still Moves or At DawnNot that their last 2 are bad, or even average, those 2 are just freakin masterpieces.I strongly advise to purchase soon. You might want to get ISM first bc the sound translates slightly more to Z and to a lesser degree EU, but Id save the best for last and get AD first. But like I said, just about as many ppl like AD more than ISM, so really you cant miss

Nigel Tufnel said:
yinzer said:

But It Still Moves is my favorite album :headbang:
As to why I didnt pick up It Still Moves when I first heard them, or get into them more utnil Z came out, was basically the same thing. I was 100% jambands those years, namely Phish, but just jam bandy everything and that def blurred my hearing on MMJ. Once Phish was *done*, I really started listening to a lot more stuffI love the reverb JJ employs on At Dawn and esp ISM. With they way they songwriting has tightened up a bit, not sure you hear it as frequently on future albums
I think we see eye to eye on this completely. Pretty sure they're my favorite band right now.

BTW, I really don't love the new one. Half the songs are good, in my opinion. Much like Wilco's latest, they dabble in easy listening a little too much.

BTW, I really don't love the new one. Half the songs are good, in my opinion. Much like Wilco's latest, they dabble in easy listening a little too much.
See what youre saying as far as the softer songs, but they did those with brilliance on At DawnI have a tough time deciding if Z or EU is better. I think I like a few more songs off EU all in all, but Z is probably a stronger album. The finish of Anytime>Lay Low>Knot Comes Loose>Dondante almost seals that argument though.I dont mind the slower songs (Sec Walkin, Thank You Too, Librarian, Look At You), but they undoubtedly pail in comparison to the Lowdowns, Goldens, Bermuda Highways, etc. Theyre good songs in their own right, but dont stand up to previous materialThe only songs I dont like all that much are Touch Me 1 (sounds like a Flaming Lips rip off to me, and not a gratifying one), Two Halves (I dont think I even need to explain this, probably worst song MMJ has wrote), and Aluminum Park (just way too generic for me). Remnants was in this category, but has grown on me.That said, I think Evil Urges (does that solo remind anyone else of the initial breakdown in Guyute a little?!), Im Amazed, Smokin from Shootin, and Touch Me 2 are all fantastic.Based on how each of their last albums sound quite different, who knows what the next sounds like. I think after Z got a lot of praise on the 'indie' scene, there was some pressure on this album being up to par and selling to the masses. Dont know if/how that effected the songs, but EU does seem like they walked a little too far from the homeplace when making.To me, ISM was their sound perfected. I dont know if they need to necessarily get back to that, but I dont think they need to experiment quite as much as they have the last couple albums.

Are you talkin bout Carl Broemel? lead guitar nowOr Johnny Quaid? the lead guitar who left the band before they got semi-'big'?..Im guessing it Johnny, but if it isnt, then likely your painter is a liar
Yes, Carl. Pretty sure Carl is Carl :) He's actually a buddy of mine now. He's not a painter now obviously.

Are you talkin bout Carl Broemel? lead guitar nowOr Johnny Quaid? the lead guitar who left the band before they got big?

..Im guessing it Johnny, but if it isnt, then likely your painter is a liar
:goodposting: I can believe they're not rolling in cash, but I can't believe they're taking odd jobs on the side. Not at this point anyway.

Also,

Correct. Carl is not a painter now - but was performing semi-regularly with MMJ at the time depending on tour schedule. Pretty good poker player too.

I dont mind the slower songs (Sec Walkin, Thank You Too, Librarian, Look At You), but they undoubtedly pail in comparison to the Lowdowns, Goldens, Bermuda Highways, etc.
See, I have no problem with slower songs (At Dawn's one of my favorites), but I don't think of the first songs you listed (on EU) even being in the same ballpark as the second group of songs. I feel like those first songs (incidentally, those were the exact songs I was talking about when I mentioned "easy listening") could easily blend in on a "smooth jazz"-type radio station. I don't think they're falling off or anything, I just think they had some big misses on this one. I greatly prefer Z. A band like MMJ can't sit still and I'd rather they go back to their At Dawn-style stuff than go in the "Sec Walkin'" direction.

Users who are viewing this thread