What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

I need to lose weight (1 Viewer)

timschochet

Footballguy
Age 43, 5-11, 228

I'm always accused of giving my opinion too much. Now I'm asking for advice, and it will be appreciated.

I would like to lose 40-50 pounds of weight, and keep it off. I exercise plenty (treadmill 5 days a week), but I sabotage myself with my eating habits. I have tried Weight Watchers and other similar diets, but my problem is I get too hungry, and I end up cheating and disliking myself later on. I need to learn about tasty foods that are easy to purchase and cook that will fill me up so I don't get hungry later.

I have lost weight in the past, but it always comes back rather quickly. I am a sucker for meat, cheese, and just about everything fattening.

General or specific advice is fine. I'm not diabetic, but I know that if I continue at this weight there's a good chance I will be. High cholesterol count is also a problem.

TIA

Do you drink soda? If so, stop. I dropped 5 lbs in a could of weeks just by dropping down to 1 soda a week (during friday night Pizza) Good luck.

Do you drink soda? If so, stop. I dropped 5 lbs in a could of weeks just by dropping down to 1 soda a week (during friday night Pizza) Good luck.
I drink diet coke. That's about it. It's supposed to be zero calories, though the sodium content is high. Would it still help to knock it off?

I would think at the rate you click your mouse to start new threads, you'd be down to about a buck fifty by now.

Ah yes.... classic TIMMAY Form.

There is a FATBALLGUYS thread covering this very topic already on the first page... so what does TIMMAY do?

He starts a new thread :shrug:

LINK > GO THERE.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cut out soda and sweets. Control portions. Shop on the perimeter of the grocery store and stay away from the prepared stuff in the middle as much as possible. Stop eating when you're full. One "trick" I did was to eat the healthiest thing on my plate first so that it was the mashed potatoes left behind and the end of the meal and not the broccoli. You have to give up the temporary concept of a diet and embrace permanent changes to your eating habits.

I went from 215 to 175 following this basic outline, still drinking beer and eating cheese and bacon the whole time.

Ah yes.... classic TIMMAY Form. There is a FATBALLGUYS thread covering this very topic already on the first page... so what does TIMMAY do?He starts a new thread :shrug:
I never even opened that thread- I assumed it was some sort of game. I will look through it now. Thanks. In the meantime, any specific advice (other than the obligatory "Stop posting new threads")?

I would think at the rate you click your mouse to start new threads, you'd be down to about a buck fifty by now.
Come on Moe. You had a good several minutes to think of a witty comment, and that's all you got?
here's one... log the #### off, and haul your ### outside for a walk, tubbs.
You put that so nicely. Actually on the treadmill right now, thanks. But as I wrote, exercise is not the problem.

Age 43, 5-11, 228I'm always accused of giving my opinion too much. Now I'm asking for advice, and it will be appreciated.I would like to lose 40-50 pounds of weight, and keep it off. I exercise plenty (treadmill 5 days a week), but I sabotage myself with my eating habits. I have tried Weight Watchers and other similar diets, but my problem is I get too hungry, and I end up cheating and disliking myself later on. I need to learn about tasty foods that are easy to purchase and cook that will fill me up so I don't get hungry later.I have lost weight in the past, but it always comes back rather quickly. I am a sucker for meat, cheese, and just about everything fattening. General or specific advice is fine. I'm not diabetic, but I know that if I continue at this weight there's a good chance I will be. High cholesterol count is also a problem.TIA
Go on weight watchers. Very healthy way to lose weight and its very easy.

Replace 2 or 3 days of treadmill with lifting weights.

Eat 5 or 6 small meals a day. Avoid junk food, sugar, and soda pop. Concentrate on lean proteins, veggies, and "good" carbs (whole grains, not refined white flour products).

Stop drinking beer and replace it with vodka and sodas.

Cut out soda and sweets. Control portions. Shop on the perimeter of the grocery store and stay away from the prepared stuff in the middle as much as possible. Stop eating when you're full. One "trick" I did was to eat the healthiest thing on my plate first so that it was the mashed potatoes left behind and the end of the meal and not the broccoli. You have to give up the temporary concept of a diet and embrace permanent changes to your eating habits. I went from 215 to 175 following this basic outline, still drinking beer and eating cheese and bacon the whole time.
Thanks. Controlling portions is difficult for me to do. Trying, though.

I drink diet coke. That's about it. It's supposed to be zero calories, though the sodium content is high. Would it still help to knock it off?
Have you ever seen Mike Francesa? I'm no expert on diet soda (I dont drink cola at all) but i have to believe that there are other harmful things other than calories (HF corn syrup?) and I'm sure the sodium doesnt help.Soda is one of the worst things you can put into your body. I have other vices (Gatorade is the big one) but i've managed to mostly cut it out. However, i cant have a slice of pizza without either soda or beer. It just doesnt work. I figure 1 orange soda a week cant hurt.

Eat 5 or 6 small meals a day. Avoid junk food, sugar, and soda pop. Concentrate on lean proteins, veggies, and "good" carbs (whole grains, not refined white flour products).

I always hated lifting weights. I love the treadmill. You really think that will help?

Have to go now. Thanks for all the helpful advice! I will look into everything, except I think I'll keep my arms for the time being.

Ah yes.... classic TIMMAY Form. There is a FATBALLGUYS thread covering this very topic already on the first page... so what does TIMMAY do?He starts a new thread :excited:
I never even opened that thread- I assumed it was some sort of game. I will look through it now. Thanks. In the meantime, any specific advice (other than the obligatory "Stop posting new threads")?
It's all been postd in that thread and the dozens of others like it. There is a ton of great advice already on this forum about this topic and it's not like the science changes. South beach works extremely well for me. Rapid results and you're not starving yourself (which is counterproductive). Post over there and you'll get all the feedback you'd ever want as well as a nice group to motivate you on this.

I always hated lifting weights. I love the treadmill. You really think that will help?
Yes, it will help you transform your body, replace fat with muscle. You will be shocked at the results.If you're really gung ho, replace most of your long treadmill sessions with high intensity interval training.

Yes, it will help you transform your body, replace fat with muscle. You will be shocked at the results.If you're really gung ho, replace most of your long treadmill sessions with high intensity interval training.
:yucky: Every pound of muscle forces your body to burn an extra 50 calories a day to maintain it. Check out "The Abs Diet" from Men's Health. This is covered in detail.

Cut out soda and take the stairs. Also, do some pushups.

Actually, I need to follow my own advice. For a New Year's resolution, I did cut out soda and started taking the stairs. That helped so much, that my wife started to wonder if there was something wrong with me. She thought it might be something wrong with my health that made me start losing weight. So, I got a physical and had some bloodwork done, and lo and behold, nothing was wrong with me. Anyways, I followed the plan for about 5 months, then I started taking the elevator at work again (I work on the 4th floor). Still don't drink soda, but with the increased temperature during the summer months, I've had 1-2 Slurpees a week (cola and cherry flavor).

I've started taking the stairs again and I will stop with the Slurpees. Oh yeah, I was doing the one hundred pushup program, but only completed week 4, and then stopped. I'm going to start that from the beginning again really soon.

Age 43, 5-11, 228I'm always accused of giving my opinion too much. Now I'm asking for advice, and it will be appreciated.I would like to lose 40-50 pounds of weight, and keep it off. I exercise plenty (treadmill 5 days a week), but I sabotage myself with my eating habits. I have tried Weight Watchers and other similar diets, but my problem is I get too hungry, and I end up cheating and disliking myself later on. I need to learn about tasty foods that are easy to purchase and cook that will fill me up so I don't get hungry later.I have lost weight in the past, but it always comes back rather quickly. I am a sucker for meat, cheese, and just about everything fattening. General or specific advice is fine. I'm not diabetic, but I know that if I continue at this weight there's a good chance I will be. High cholesterol count is also a problem.TIA
Here is what I did as of Jan 1 and lost 20 pounds pretty quickly (and have kept it off for about 4 months now):Drink a gallon of water a day. Don't drink anything else with calories (coffee or tea is ok - I still drink a ton of beer but it seems to be offset by abstaining from other drinks).Only whole grains if you are hitting the bread. I packed a ton of whole grain into my diet early on and saw results.Lean meats, cheese in moderation (my one big weakness).*I also kicked off my "diet" (more of a new way of eating) with the ol' master cleanse.ETA:I am 5'11. Before I changed things up, I was 178. Now 158.

Last edited by a moderator:

Actually, I need to follow my own advice. For a New Year's resolution, I did cut out soda and started taking the stairs. That helped so much, that my wife started to wonder if there was something wrong with me. She thought it might be something wrong with my health that made me start losing weight. So, I got a physical and had some bloodwork done, and lo and behold, nothing was wrong with me. Anyways, I followed the plan for about 5 months, then I started taking the elevator at work again (I work on the 4th floor). Still don't drink soda, but with the increased temperature during the summer months, I've had 1-2 Slurpees a week (cola and cherry flavor).

I've started taking the stairs again and I will stop with the Slurpees. Oh yeah, I was doing the one hundred pushup program, but only completed week 4, and then stopped. I'm going to start that from the beginning again really soon.[/quote]

???

Cut out soda and sweets. Control portions. Shop on the perimeter of the grocery store and stay away from the prepared stuff in the middle as much as possible. Stop eating when you're full. One "trick" I did was to eat the healthiest thing on my plate first so that it was the mashed potatoes left behind and the end of the meal and not the broccoli. You have to give up the temporary concept of a diet and embrace permanent changes to your eating habits. I went from 215 to 175 following this basic outline, still drinking beer and eating cheese and bacon the whole time.
:)

Little bit tongue in cheek but, if you cook drink a beer or two while you do it.

:thumbup:

I swear drinking beer while BBQin has helped me lose weight. I am usually full" by the time it is time to sit down and eat.

One trick I found is to stop eating when you're about 70% full. I read somewhere that it takes a few minutes for the stomach to tell the brain that it has had enough, so by the time you're finished with your plate, your brain gets the message that you were full about 5 or 10 minutes ago. Portion control is accomplished via "Small Plate Theory" ... which is basically serving your meals to yourself on the small plates in your dish set instead of the big dinner plates. Seems stupid, but I dropped a good amount of weight after college by doing exactly this, although the lack of 2 am Taco Bell probably helped as well.Drink a LOT of water. Join the FatBallGuys thread.

Cut out soda and sweets. Control portions. Shop on the perimeter of the grocery store and stay away from the prepared stuff in the middle as much as possible. Stop eating when you're full. One "trick" I did was to eat the healthiest thing on my plate first so that it was the mashed potatoes left behind and the end of the meal and not the broccoli. You have to give up the temporary concept of a diet and embrace permanent changes to your eating habits.

I went from 215 to 175 following this basic outline, still drinking beer and eating cheese and bacon the whole time.
This is the exact thing I was coming in here to post. Stuff on the perimeter of the GS - Fruits and veggies, meats, fish, cheese, milk, bread, yogurt. All pretty much good for you. Avoid the plain white bread. Go with multigrain bread.Frozen Chicken Breasts are your friend. They can be cooked in so many ways, are easy and healthy.

Skim milk only.

No soda, even diet. Trust me on this. A year from now you will have a soda and feel really bloated afterward.

Do you go out for lunch or bring your lunch. If you are doing the former, do the latter. Nice big sammich and a bag of carrots is sooo much better for you than getting a burger and fries or wings at Wildwings. Oh, and on the sammich, mustard, not mayo or miracle whip.

And most important is to realize that losing weight is work. Hard work. We always see ads on TV, radio, magazines, that say how easy it is to lose weight with X product. That's a load of crap. It's hard work getting on the treadmill. It's heard work disciplining yourself to eat better. Be disciplined in your eating 6 days a week and enjoy yourself one day on the weekend.

I've started taking the stairs again and I will stop with the Slurpees. Oh yeah, I was doing the one hundred pushup program, but only completed week 4, and then stopped. I'm going to start that from the beginning again really soon.
???
http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index...&hl=pushups

ETA:I am 5'11. Before I changed things up, I was 178. Now 158.
Wow you're like a twig. Just wondering, why would you want to lose that much weight?
Didn't plan on losing 20, just happened once I got "healthy".I had man boobs and a gut at 180. Now I don't. :lmao:
Are you still JerseyTough, though? Just kidding but that is skinny...I am that height and weighed about that when I was running a ridiculous amount of miles in college.

Wow you're like a twig. Just wondering, why would you want to lose that much weight?
Didn't plan on losing 20, just happened once I got "healthy".I had man boobs and a gut at 180. Now I don't. :rolleyes:
Are you still JerseyTough, though? Just kidding but that is skinny...I am that height and weighed about that when I was running a ridiculous amount of miles in college.
Never was. :lmao:

Didn't plan on losing 20, just happened once I got "healthy".I had man boobs and a gut at 180. Now I don't. :wolf:
Cool. I'm at 6' 180 and trying to get up to 200.
Funny about that. 5'10" here. At one point I was up to 225. I was fat. Lost 50 pounds in about 6 months. Was down to 175. Put 10 pounds of muscle on and was sitting at 185. I wanted to get to 200. Couldn't do it. Ate a ton of red meat and peanut butter and got barely to 190. So I just gave up and settled on 190. Got married, the wife got pregnant. Say hello to 210!?!?? Sympathy weight is no joke.Started hitting the gym at work a couple days a week starting in June. Down to almost 200. But I have really bulked up my upper body so 200 is much more realistic now. Or I could stop drinking beer. Naaahhhhh, I'm good a 200. The only 6 pack I will ever have will contain bottles, but I have increased my chest size by 2 inches, upped my bench by 50 pounds and increased my arms a ton. And the best part is my pants fit again. I don't have a set diet. Just shop on the perimeter of the GS, drink a boat load of water every day, bring lunches a lot, work out a couple days a week, don't drink soda (really only drink water, skim milk, beer and wine). And my workout only includes about 10 minutes on an eliptical. The rest is cardio weight training

1) Look into low carb diets. A lot of the reason people get cravings is because of their carb intake. Maybe even look into carb tapering.....load up on carbs in the morning and then taper them off to nothing in the evening.

2) Stay away from sweets obviously. Sugar will have more of an effect on fat loss than fat will.

3) Honestly, if you have that much of a problem controlling your hunger, maybe even look into a fat burner type product. Rarely will a fat burner have a direct effect on fat loss, but they can do a great job on controlling appetite. I am in pretty good shape and if I am on a cutting diet, or just looking for a little extra energy I will take one.

4) Protein!!!

5) Your cardio is good. How long are you on the treadmill? Maybe google "HIIT" and see what you think. Tough as #### but people get real good results off of it.

Good luck!

bentley said:
215?Holy ####.

Take healthy snacks like fruit or nuts inbetween meals so you don't feel the need to gorge yourself when you get to your meal.

Eat a healthy breakfast.

Replace refined carbs with whole grains like brown rice, whole-wheat bread, whole-wheat pasta, etc.

Double your intake of vegetables, triple it if you don't eat many of them. These will take the place of more calorie dense items on your plate and will fill you up.

Eat slowly. If you've ever sat down and devoured a meal and then felt bloated afterwards you should realize that you wouldn't have eaten nearly that much if you'd have eaten slowly. It gives your body time to realize that it is satisfyed. Also, eat until you're satisfied, not until you are stuffed.

Lots of options for lean protein including chicken breasts, fish, pork loin chops, certain cuts of steak, bison, beans, turkey breasts, etc.

Be careful with the condiments. I've seen people tell me they only had a salad for lunch but I saw that they absolutely drowned the thing in ranch dressing, croutons, and bacon bits. They probably also used all iceberg lettuce as well which is pretty much a nutritional wasteland. Same goes with drowning veggies in ketchup or mayo or other dips, etc.

Pick your indulgences carefully. If you have certain dietary no-nos that you absolutely don't want to live without, make sure that you treat yourself with those and eliminate all of the ones you don't particularly care about. If you absolutely love ice cream but waste all of your empty calories on chips just because you have them around or feel you need something to go with that sandwich you aren't going to be satisfied with that and are going to cheat with both instead.

Increase the intensity of your workouts. You might be working out but it is possible that you could be getting more out of it given the amount of time you're putting in.

Users who are viewing this thread