What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***ALCS*** Tampa Bay Rays v. Boston Red Sox (1 Viewer)

I have 2 tickets to Game 1 of the ALCS....and Tampa Bay Rays is printed on them! I still can't freaking believe it! :lmao:

Alright now we're on.... Can't wait for this showdown.

Honest best guess.... Rays in 6.

Should be a great series though. :lmao:

Red Sux in 6.Hope I'm wrong.
Missing Lowell... Beckett looking injured... Drew not 100%......Dunno.. sox a little too dinged up. If TAM gets +110 or greater I'll likely put some coin on em.
Wow, gambling that important to you? Can't find a surer bet than that? Why on earth would you bet AGAINST your team :goodposting: Money that tight right now?
If money was tight why would I be betting in the first place?I bet with my head I root with my heart. Boston is dinged up and if they're posted as favorites I'll prob put a hunny or two against them. Will then root my ### off for boston and hope I lose.... but if not then so be it. :fro:

The Rays have to be the favorites this series.

Sox are so banged up and they are going to have to play a lot better than they did vs Anaheim to win this.

The Rays have to be the favorites this series.Sox are so banged up and they are going to have to play a lot better than they did vs Anaheim to win this.
:goodposting: Ortiz -WristLowell - Torn LabrumBeckett - Strained ObliqueDrew - Herniated DiscOrtiz and Pedroia gotta get going and beckett is going to have to pitch like his old self or Boston is going to get beat in this series....period.

Last edited by a moderator:
1--Beckett vs. Shields

2--Lester vs. Kazmir

3--Dice-K vs. Garza

4--Byrd vs. Sonnanstine

5--Beckett vs. Shields

6--Lester vs. Kazmir

7--Dice-K vs. Garza

Who you like for each game?

While I appreciate the doom and gloom of Sox fans, I was willing to give up homefield to face the Angels, who I thought would be the much easier out.

But I guess it's only fitting they have to beat Boston to get to the Series. Why have it any other way?

This series should be a real war.

Sox are favored to win it all.

Will the Boston Red Sox win the World Series?

+197 Yes -217 No

Will the Tampa Bay Rays win the World Series?

+285 Yes -315 No

Will the Philadelphia Phillies win the World Series?

+345 Yes -375 No

Will the Los Angeles Dodgers win the World Series?

+385 Yes -425 No

Comes down to the wire Red Sox in 7.

Can't believe anyone would think the Rays would be favored in this series.

In fact series prices:

Sox -150

Rays +130

Just my thoughts here:

Sox are banged up sure, but this team is battle tested which is a huge advantage in playoff baseball. Starting pitchers have all pitched in ALCS and WS games before and are used to the pressure. Rays don't have poor starting pitching, but I'll love to see how Garza and Sonnastine pitch in Fenway. Rays bullpen is also a weakness, whereas the Sox have a pretty damn good bullpen. That's a significant advantage in what should be tight games that go deep.

One area the Rays have a distinct advantage is team speed. If they can get on base, they can manufacture runs a whole lot easier than the Sox.

Defense is about even. Lowell is a great 3B when healthy, but if he's not able to go, Youkalis has shown to be adequate (last night made a nice running one handed play). Not real crazy about Kotsay at first, but the outfield is very solid and the mi is good enough.

If Beckett is healthy, you have to like him in game one, imo. Game 2 is huge, Kazmir vs Lester. Game 3, I think I like Dice K at home vs Garza there (although looking at home/road splits, I think Dice K in game 2 and LEster in game 3 may make more sense, but I'm not the manager). Little surprised no Wakefield, dude owns the Rays, but that was the old Rays truth be told.

I can't see any real reason to lay heavy chalk on the Sox, but I do think they will win a tight series. Huge bullpen and experience edge seem to factor mightily in these series. Red Sox hitters are all so patient and get on base at such a good clip (unlike the ChiSox), it's going to be a real battle for the Rays starting pitchers to go 7 innings each game.

Can't believe anyone would think the Rays would be favored in this series.In fact series prices:Sox -150Rays +130
Boston attracts a lot of action at the window. That is inflated for sure. If they are favored they should be -120 tops, that price is ridiculous.Would not think about taking the Sox at that price, in fact, if I weren't a Sox fan, I would be calling in Tampa right now.

Just my thoughts here:
One other factor is Tampa is great at home and they are very confident that they can beat the Sox. I don't think the playoffs are going to get to them. They just won their first series and now they see a team that they know better than anyone. They aren't going to be in awe here, they have the Sox number right now and expecially at home.I think Tampa in 6, if it goes 7, maybe the Sox can take it.

Please for the love of God beat them unlike those piss poor Angels who quiver everytime they play the Sox but dominate against the Yanks.

1--Beckett vs. Shields2--Lester vs. Kazmir3--Dice-K vs. Garza4--Byrd vs. Sonnanstine5--Beckett vs. Shields6--Lester vs. Kazmir7--Dice-K vs. GarzaWho you like for each game?
You sure Lester goes Game 2? You're probably right but having him lined up for 3 & 7 is possible. He's better at home, Dice-K better on the road. You hate to risk the series being over before your best guy sees the mound twice though.

Please for the love of God beat them unlike those piss poor Angels who quiver everytime they play the Sox but dominate against the Yanks.
I've got nothing but love for you shady but this sort of mentality among yanks fans kinda reminds me of a linebacker who's lying on the ground after getting burned by a RB looking desperately back at a safety praying to God he makes the tackle so nobody will focus on how bad he got burned on the line of scrimmage.

Can't believe anyone would think the Rays would be favored in this series.In fact series prices:Sox -150Rays +130
:(Exactly what I was hoping for.... awesome. +130 is a STEAL for the Rays. Jumping on that before it moves (it will)

I've got nothing but love for you shady but this sort of mentality among yanks fans kinda reminds me of a linebacker who's lying on the ground after getting burned by a RB looking desperately back at a safety praying to God he makes the tackle so nobody will focus on how bad he got burned on the line of scrimmage.
:( As a Yankee fan, hating the Red Sox is in my blood. I root for them to lose every time imaginable. Its no different than Red Sox fans rooting against the Yankees.

icon - I see it as

Shields over Beckett

Lester over Kazmir

Dice over Garza

Sonny over Byrd

Beckett over Shields

Kaz over Lester

Garza/Price/Sonny over Dice

To be honest though, I don't know how they ever beat Lester. Lefties kill them and he's on fire right now.

1--Beckett vs. Shields2--Lester vs. Kazmir3--Dice-K vs. Garza4--Byrd vs. Sonnanstine5--Beckett vs. Shields6--Lester vs. Kazmir7--Dice-K vs. GarzaWho you like for each game?
Are you pulling names out of a hat or was this officially announced somewhere?

icon - I see it as Shields over BeckettLester over Kazmir Dice over GarzaSonny over ByrdBeckett over ShieldsKaz over LesterGarza/Price/Sonny over DiceTo be honest though, I don't know how they ever beat Lester. Lefties kill them and he's on fire right now.
Doesnt Kazmir also dominate the Sox?

icon - I see it as Shields over BeckettLester over Kazmir Dice over GarzaSonny over ByrdBeckett over ShieldsKaz over LesterGarza/Price/Sonny over DiceTo be honest though, I don't know how they ever beat Lester. Lefties kill them and he's on fire right now.
Doesnt Kazmir also dominate the Sox?
Kaz vs Boston:21 starts6-7 record119.1 IP104 H12 HR62 BB132 K3.62 ERA1.39 WHIP.236 BAA

Other Rays pitchers vs the Sox:

Shields

8 Starts

2-4 Record

41.1 IP

40 H

6 HR

11 BB

41 K

5.23 ERA

1.23 WHIP

.248 BAA

Garza

6 Starts

3-1 Record

32.2 IP

30 H

4 HR

13 BB

19 K

3.86 ERA

1.32 WHIP

.242 BAA

Sonnanstine

6 Starts

1-1 Record

33.1 IP

35 H

3 HR

7 BB

24 K

5.40 ERA

1.26 WHIP

.271 BAA

Jackson

8 Starts

2-4 Record

49.2 IP

59 H

4 HR

28 BB

41 K

5.44 ERA

1.75 WHIP

.299 BAA

Let's not start penciling in Beckett for game 1 yet, there is no indication that is happening. The Sox have been quiet about Beckett but for sure he is not right, he probably needs more rest.

I think Dice K gets the ball game 1.

Looks like we're pretty much on the same page though I've gotta say I'm not entirely sure Beckett makes that second start. I'm that concerned about his oblique and his performance the other night. I literally think the fate of this series hinges on his ability to revert to his traditional postseries form..which I don't think he'll be able to do. We may end up having to bump lester/dice/byrd up a day each. I hope I'm wrong.... but it's a hunch.

Sox starters against the Rays:

Matsuzaka

8 Starts

2-3 Record

48.0 IP

41 H

4 HR

23 BB

52 K

3.75 ERA

1.33 WHIP

.232 BAA

Lester

7 Starts

4-0 Record

42.2 IP

38 H

6 HR

16 BB

35 K

3.38 ERA

1.27 WHIP

.241 BAA

Beckett

10 Starts

5-3 Record

66.2 IP

59 H

9 HR

13 BB

75 K

3.11 ERA

1.08 WHIP

.235 BAA

Wakefield

31 Starts

19-5 Record

211.2 IP

177 H

22 HR

70 BB

145 K

3.32 ERA

1.17 WHIP

.226 BAA

Byrd

7 Starts

2-2 Record

42.0 IP

59 H

7 HR

7 BB

21 K

5.14 ERA

1.57 WHIP

.324 BAA

I don't know why Yudkin is posting pitching stats from prior years. Completely useless.

Obviously it's a huge break for the Rays if Beckett can't go twice. I assumed he was going to go in game 1, but you guys are right -- he was very very mediocre the other day.

Users who are viewing this thread