What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Does Biden run in 2016? (1 Viewer)

Would Vice President Biden run in 2016? He'd be 73. Could he beat Hillary in the primaries?
Neither Biden or Hillary would run in 2016.
Agreed.I think Jindal will run in 2012 unless it's clear that Obama cannot be stopped.
why wouldn't Hillary run? I think Biden knows this is as close as he's going to get.
Hillary will be 68. Her peak effort was now. She couldn't beat Obama now, why would she be any better of a candidate then?Let's also keep in mind that she's one of the biggest political opportunists of our time. There's a reason why she lost.

Hilary will be a Supreme Court Justice so she won't be running.

Hillary has to challenge Obama in 2012, just like Ted Kennedy challenged Jimmy Carter in 1980. From the start of Obama's presidency, there would be elements in the democratic party trying to sabotage him. I do not believe Barack Obama has the gravitas to keep his own party under control. He is weak.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hillary has to challenge Obama in 2012, just like Ted Kennedy challenged Jimmy Carter in 1980. From the start of Obama's presidency, there would be elements in the democratic party trying to sabotage him. I do not believe Barack Obama has the gravitas to keep his own party under control. He is weak.
You haven't been paying attention. The last time so many people were so attached to a political leader, it was Adolf Hitler.

You haven't been paying attention. The last time so many people were so attached to a political leader, it was Adolf Hitler.
This is a bad comment, unworthy of you or anyone else here. Obama has a fine American charisma, similar in many ways to Ronald Reagan. He has nothing like the personality cult related to such dictators as Hitler, Stalin, or Mao. Such comparisons are pointless and tasteless, frankly.

:excited:

Clinton will consider it in 2016 but only with endorsement of Obama and a very successful next 8 years in the Senate.

Clinton will consider it in 2016 but only with endorsement of Obama and a very successful next 8 years in the Senate.
They might trot her out for a victory lap like Dole in '96 or McCain this year, but she wouldn't be much of a candidate.

How did that go for Teddy?

They might trot her out for a victory lap like Dole in '96 or McCain this year, but she wouldn't be much of a candidate.
She would have won in 2008 had she gotten to the big dance. If President Obama really comes out with support and she has some big time achievements to point to, I don't see any reason why she wouldn't be an excellent candidate in 2016. Perhaps because she would likely be heading for 1 term, but give her an up and coming VP and the Democrats could be onto something.

She would have won in 2008 had she gotten to the big dance.
I agree here. The Democrat Primary is almost like the SEC Championship game

She would have won in 2008 had she gotten to the big dance. If President Obama really comes out with support and she has some big time achievements to point to, I don't see any reason why she wouldn't be an excellent candidate in 2016. Perhaps because she would likely be heading for 1 term, but give her an up and coming VP and the Democrats could be onto something.
Like Dole in 1988 or McCain in 2000? Both of whom went down in flames eight years later.

Like Dole in 1988 or McCain in 2000? Both of whom went down in flames eight years later.
Neither Dole nor McCain is a Clinton. And to be frank, neither Dole nor McCain is a woman. The intrigue of a female president is undeniable, and as of this moment I do not see any serious contenders on the national stage. I know a lot can change but I honestly feel like Hillary is women's last chance at the Presidency for the foreseeable future.

Neither Dole nor McCain is a Clinton. And to be frank, neither Dole nor McCain is a woman. The intrigue of a female president is undeniable, and as of this moment I do not see any serious contenders on the national stage. I know a lot can change but I honestly feel like Hillary is women's last chance at the Presidency for the foreseeable future.
Eight years ago Barack Obama was in the Illinois state senate. Her time has passed.

I do not believe this analysis hits the mark.

I'm shocked to see you disagreeing with Beej. Is this a first?

The thing that kills me about Beej is his unhinged demeanor and radical suggestions. The guy basically suggests revolution at every turn, but you know this guy probably owns a dozen cats and has tea parties with his dollies.

The thing that kills me about Beej is his unhinged demeanor and radical suggestions. The guy basically suggests revolution at every turn, but you know this guy probably owns a dozen cats and has tea parties with his dollies.
:coffee: Don't forget the twenty three simultaneous CB radios he has going. One on each of the old channels. Nobody uses channels 24-40.

And a Cobra scanner. Gotta have a Cobra scanner. Crystal-less.

Using the present tense to describe future events has become a real pet peeve of mine.

I just wanted to get that off my chest.

Carry on.

Reagan lost in the 1976 primaries and then ran again in 1980 even though he was 69. If Hillary wants to she could run again in 2016, the only question is I'm not sure she wants to tread water in the senate until then.

I'm betting that Mark Warner will be the Democratic nominee in 2016. He'll still be young, and will have served as a Governor and a Senator from a key swing state.

Jimmy Carter's was a failed presidency in 1979 when Kenneday decided to challenge him. Let's give Obama a few months before we make a similar call with him. As for the topic of this thread, there is no guarantee that a successful President Obama needs Biden as VP in 2012. Roosevelt had three different VPs. I can see Obama choosing a woman as his running mate in 2012.

Joe Biden To Raise Money For Democrats In Key 2016 StatVice President Joe Biden will raise money for South Carolina Democrats on Friday, CNN reports.

Biden will be in the Palmetto State to deliver a commencement speech at the University of South Carolina on Friday. Biden also gave a commencement address at Miami Dade College on May 3.

CNN reports Biden will host a closed-door lunch in Columbia to benefit the state's Democratic Party.

Biden hasn't said if he plans to run in the 2016 presidential election, but he's made stops in several early primary states, including Iowa and New Hampshire.

President Barack Obama has praised Biden, but has not yet endorsed him -- or anyone -- for the 2016 race.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/05/05/joe-biden-south-carolina_n_5268587.html

I don't know about you all, but I really hope for entertainment sake Joltin' Joe jumps in with both left feet.

He has almost no chance of beating Clinton for the Democratic nomination. He has to know that. Then again, it's hard to think when you are always laughing at something. :lol:

Joe Biden ‘Not Saying No’ to Potential Presidential RunVice President Joe Biden's political operation has entered a more active phase in recent days, with several moves being contemplated to clear the way for him to run for president should he choose to do so, two longtime Biden advisers tell ABC News.

The vice president himself has not authorized any specific moves, but nor has he objected, a signal Biden confidantes take as suggesting he's serious about potentially challenging Hillary Clinton for the Democratic nomination.

"He's not saying no," one adviser said. "This is his time to figure it out."

Among the potential moves are efforts to restart a moribund fundraising operation, launch a new political action committee, and find a way to channel the energies of a "Draft Biden" movement that's now not being led by Biden insiders.

One adviser said the new actions would roll out over the next 30 to 45 days, roughly tracking Biden's statement that he would decide on running by the end of the summer.

On Saturday, New York Times opinion columnist Maureen Dowd reported that Biden has been "talking to friends, family and donors about jumping in."

"The 72-year-old vice president has been having meetings at his Washington residence to explore the idea of taking on Hillary in Iowa and New Hampshire," Dowd wrote.

On May 30, Biden’s son, Beau, died of brain cancer at the age of 46, ushering in a period of mourning for the vice president and his family.

"As the Biden family continues to go through this difficult time, the Vice President is focused on his family and immersed in his work,” Kendra Barkoff a spokeswoman for Biden said in a statement when asked for a response to The Times' reporting. "In recent weeks, the Vice President has worked on the nuclear deal with Iran, traveled across the country to highlight the Administration's economic priorities, and more."

**** Harpootlian, a former chair of the South Carolina Democratic Party who has been outspoken in his wish for Biden to run, told ABC that Biden's family seems more supportive than not of a run.

Harpootlian said that while he has not had a direct conversation about running with the vice president or his formal advisers, the pace of political operations is picking up.

"This isn't some snap decision. He really is weighing how this would impact his family. How crazy is that?" he said.

The vice president and his team know they need to move fairly quickly if he's going to run against Clinton, Harpootlian said.

"My sense around the country is there's tremendous support there. He's got to gauge that. And then he's got to do a gut check," he said.

In the most recent ABC News-Washington Post poll released July 20, Clinton stood at the head of the Democratic pack with the backing of 63 percent of registered Democrats compared to 14 percent for Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders and 12 percent for Biden.

However, the poll also found that less than half -- 42 percent -- of Clinton’s supporters describe themselves as "very enthusiastic." Seventy-two percent of Democrats and Democratic-leaning independents said they are satisfied with their choice of candidates, potentially leaving some wiggle room for Biden.

When ABC’s George Stephanopoulos interviewed Biden on "Good Morning America" in January, he said "there's a chance" that he would challenge Clinton, but added, "I don’t think I have to make up my mind until the summer."
http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/joe-biden-potential-presidential-run/story?id=32827969

Joe Biden's Potential Presidential Campaign 'Ramping Up,' Says Adviser A political adviser says the vice president is "90 percent in."Vice President Joe Biden "is 90 percent in" when it comes to making a decision about running for the White House, according to one political adviser.

Biden’s advisers told ABC News that "his political team has been ramping up in recent days, entering what they call a more active phase," Cecilia Vega reported Sunday on “This Week.”

"In camp Biden, there are discussions about fundraising and launching a political action committee, and while the vice president himself hasn't authorized any of these moves, one adviser tells ABC News he believes Biden is 90 percent in," Vega said.

After the vice president's son Beau Biden died of brain cancer in May, several of his friends encouraged Biden to run for president in 2016, according to The Huffington Post's Howard Fineman.

If Biden decides to run for the third time, he will go against Democratic candidates that include former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.), former Maryland Gov. Martin O'Malley (D) and former Sen. Jim Webb (D-Va.).

In a recent Quinnipiac poll, 13 percent of those surveyed said they would vote for Biden, while 55 percent would vote for Clinton. However, Clinton's favorability ratings have been sliding in recent weeks. According to the Quinnipiac poll, 57 percent of voters have an unfavorable view of the former first lady. The same poll showed Biden with his highest favorability rating -- 49 percent -- in seven years.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/joe-biden-2016-white-house-run_55be2a96e4b06363d5a27cfe

Biden does affects Hillary in a couple other ways:

- Hillary has been arguing (truth aside) that Bernie is not a legitimate mainstream opponent for the general. Well right now Biden is doing better in the polls nationally vs GOP opponents than Hillary is.

- Hillary has been sometimes implying she would be the 3rd term for Obama. Biden is a more natural proponent for that.

- Biden's honest/trustworthy and 'cares about people' poll numbers are the flipside of Hillary's. Her weaknesses are his strengths.

Would Vice President Biden run in 2016? He'd be 73. Could he beat Hillary in the primaries?
Why do you say that?
Assuming Obama wins in 2008 and then again in 2012, both will be too old to run successfully for President. By that time there will be political figures who will be more fresh and current leaders of the Democratic Party.
Sigh. Wishful thinking, I guess.

Why do you say that?
Assuming Obama wins in 2008 and then again in 2012, both will be too old to run successfully for President. By that time there will be political figures who will be more fresh and current leaders of the Democratic Party.
Sigh. Wishful thinking, I guess.
Likely field without Hillary: Warren, Cuomo, Patrick, Booker, Klobucher, Gillibrand. Maybe Biden earlier, maybe Kerry. Probably still Sanders and maybe Webb. It would have been a fun race.

I'd love to see Biden run, with Obama throwing his full support behind him publicly. The heads of both Bill and Hillary would explode. :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread