What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official 2009 DETROIT TIGERS THREAD *** (1 Viewer)

skillz

Footballguy
At Doctor D's request, I have started a new thread to track the Tigers offseason and 2009 regular season. Hopefully the bad kharma from the old thread will go away, and the Tigers will be able to compete for the AL Central division title in 2009.

Hope springs eternal as we head towards Spring Training....

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Cale Iorg is the SS at some point next year. Wonder if they are going to go after a Dempster or Burnett but we know for sure the bullpen will be almost completely reworked.

This off-season may be even more interesting than the last.

I think Cale Iorg is the SS at some point next year.
I still think he is a year away. Maybe a September call up. He is a good player but as you know it is still a huge leap to go from Lakeland to Detroit within a year. Will be interesting to see how he plays in Spring Training. I am just wondering if they are going to gapfill with Santiago and Hollimon, or whether they just resign Renteria if they can get him back real cheap on a one year deal. If the Tigers are serious about upgrading their defense, then I don't see how they can bring Renteria back though. I am also curious to see if they try to get Porcello up to the show next season. They seem to be staying patient with him though since they kept him in Lakeland all last year which I like. But if he has another good spring he may beat out some other pitchers that will be competing for a starting or bullpen spot and find his way on the roster. I still think he starts out at Erie or Toledo and then may be someone that gets a call up mid-season depending on injuries and how he is pitching in the minors. I am also hoping DD can pull another rabbit out of a hat and get another good Rule V pick that we can add to the rotation or bullpen.

Surprised starting pitching isn't listed under offseason needs. I think it needs to be added, right now? it's a mess.

MAC_32 said:
Surprised starting pitching isn't listed under offseason needs. I think it needs to be added, right now? it's a mess.
I would have added it too but there wasn't enough room in the thread title. I guess that sums up how we are looking going into the offseason. Maybe I will just edit the title to say "pitching"

MAC_32 said:
I would have added it too but there wasn't enough room in the thread title. I guess that sums up how we are looking going into the offseason. Maybe I will just edit the title to say "pitching"
Too true, unfortunately. Rodney will be doing something, Verlander's going to be a #1 or #2, Galarraga's going to fit in somewhere, and that's all that's been decided. Oof. So many holes and the team is cutting payroll, work your magic Dom...

Manager: Jim Leyland

Starting Lineup

C: Gerald Laird (Trade)

1B: Miggy Cabrera

2B: Placido Polanco

SS: Adam Everett (FA) / Ramon Santiago

3B: Brandon Inge

RF: Maglio Ordonez

CF: Curt Granderson

LF: Carlos Guillen

DH: Gary Sheffield (ugh)

Bench

OF Matt Joyce

C Matt Treanor

OF/3B/2B Ryan Raburn

OF/1B Marcus Thames

SS/2B Ramon Santiago

Starting Rotation

1)Justin Verlander

2)Armando Gallaraga

3)Jeremy Bonderman

4)Edwin Jackson

5)Dontrelle Willis/Nate Robertson/Rick Porcello

Bullpen

Fernando Rodney

Joel Zumaya

Aqualino Lopez

Zach Miner

Freddy Dolsi

Needs:

Catcher, Shortstop, Starting Pitcher, Set Up Man, Closer

Free Agents Signed

Adam Everett SS

Matt Treanor C

Free Agents Lost

Kyle Farnsworth P

Edgar Renteria SS

Trades

Tigers trade Guillermo Moscoso P and Carlos Melo P for Gerald Laird C

Tigers trade Matt Joyce OF for Edwin Jackson SP

Potential Free Agent Targets

Kerry Wood P

Chad Cordero P

Brian Fuentes P

Updated 12/20/08

Last edited by a moderator:
MAC_32 said:
Too true, unfortunately. Rodney will be doing something, Verlander's going to be a #1 or #2, Galarraga's going to fit in somewhere, and that's all that's been decided. Oof. So many holes and the team is cutting payroll, work your magic Dom...
They aren't necessarily cutting payroll, Illitch backed away from that stance. They won't be adding too much though....

Doctor Detroit said:
MAC_32 said:
They aren't necessarily cutting payroll, Illitch backed away from that stance. They won't be adding too much though....
Glad to hear, hope Derek Lowe's our numero uno target.

any pitching coach candidates?
Unfortunately not LeoAJ Sager and Rick Peterson are two favorites I'm sure.
I wouldn't mind Rick Knapp. At least he would have the pitchers take the approach of throwing more strikes -- less walks is always a good thing. I don't know why the Tigers wouldn't at least try to interview Mazzone. Although he had a bad year in Baltimore (I think the only decent pitcher he had to work with that year was Bedard who is a headcase anyway), he did wonders for the young Atlanta staff so I would think his approach would be suitable for the Tigers given that they have a bunch of young starters (Bondo, Verlander, Galaragga, and Willis) for him to work with. I recall hearing about a study once where all pitchers who have pitched at least one year under Mazzone and one year under a different pitching coach. The study found that Mazzone lowered the ERA of pitchers by an average of .64 points, and that after leaving Mazzone, pitchers' ERA increased by an average of .78 points. If that's the case, I don't know why you want to look into having him coach your pitchers. Even though he is 60 that shouldn't matter considering Leyland is no spring chicken either.

I recall hearing about a study once where all pitchers who have pitched at least one year under Mazzone and one year under a different pitching coach. The study found that Mazzone lowered the ERA of pitchers by an average of .64 points, and that after leaving Mazzone, pitchers' ERA increased by an average of .78 points.
This would make Mazzone "The Anti-Chuck".

any pitching coach candidates?
Unfortunately not LeoAJ Sager and Rick Peterson are two favorites I'm sure.
I wouldn't mind Rick Knapp. At least he would have the pitchers take the approach of throwing more strikes -- less walks is always a good thing. I don't know why the Tigers wouldn't at least try to interview Mazzone. Although he had a bad year in Baltimore (I think the only decent pitcher he had to work with that year was Bedard who is a headcase anyway), he did wonders for the young Atlanta staff so I would think his approach would be suitable for the Tigers given that they have a bunch of young starters (Bondo, Verlander, Galaragga, and Willis) for him to work with. I recall hearing about a study once where all pitchers who have pitched at least one year under Mazzone and one year under a different pitching coach. The study found that Mazzone lowered the ERA of pitchers by an average of .64 points, and that after leaving Mazzone, pitchers' ERA increased by an average of .78 points. If that's the case, I don't know why you want to look into having him coach your pitchers. Even though he is 60 that shouldn't matter considering Leyland is no spring chicken either.
Knapp tapped to trap opposing batsYeah I forgot to include him but he was definitely on the short list and IMO this is an outstanding hire. Offseason starts pretty well, let's see this continue. :bag:

Nice to see Knapp with a list of SP requirements. Throw first pitch strikes, try to at bats to 3 pitches and under. We'll see how Bonderman and Verlander adapt to that.

Every time I watch a WS game, I still get so ####### PISSED the Tigers lost in '06. No reason for that to have happened. AAAARRRRGGGGHHHH!!!

Every time I watch a WS game, I still get so ####### PISSED the Tigers lost in '06. No reason for that to have happened. AAAARRRRGGGGHHHH!!!
It does bring up some bad memories but that regular season ALDS and ALCS were something special.

SofaKings said:
It does bring up some bad memories but that regular season ALDS and ALCS were something special.
When I looked at the field in Phila tonight I thought of Granderson slipping in the OF in game 4. That was the end right there, if he doesn't slip I think they would have won that game. Late Oct baseball in northern cities sucks, I wish they'd shorten the season by 8 games and finish by Oct 20th at the latest.

SofaKings said:
When I looked at the field in Phila tonight I thought of Granderson slipping in the OF in game 4. That was the end right there, if he doesn't slip I think they would have won that game. Late Oct baseball in northern cities sucks, I wish they'd shorten the season by 8 games and finish by Oct 20th at the latest.
They will never shorten the season & lose cash. Best one can hope is that the union will allow more day/night doubleheaders so they can squeeze 162 into a shorter timeframe.

Season starts late next year, April 5th I believe. If the WS goes 7 that last game will be on or around Nov. 5 I believe. Also Bud has said he will vote against any playoff day games next year since the ratings sucked this year.

It was difficult watching them lose the WS but I was far more upset with HOW they lost the WS. The sloppy fielding errors by the pitchers was ridiculous. When that season ended, it was tough for it to end that way but I eventually calmed myself down by thinking to myself that no one ever expected them to get there in the first place. I was really pulling for Tampa this year. It looks like they may keep up the similarities with the 2006 Tigers by coming from nowhere to make the World Series only to fall short. I was really thinking TB would benefit from Philly having such a long lay off as the Tigers did in 2006 but that is obviously not the case. Does FA start the day after the WS ends, or is there a designated date for the first day?

It was difficult watching them lose the WS but I was far more upset with HOW they lost the WS. The sloppy fielding errors by the pitchers was ridiculous. When that season ended, it was tough for it to end that way but I eventually calmed myself down by thinking to myself that no one ever expected them to get there in the first place. I was really pulling for Tampa this year. It looks like they may keep up the similarities with the 2006 Tigers by coming from nowhere to make the World Series only to fall short. I was really thinking TB would benefit from Philly having such a long lay off as the Tigers did in 2006 but that is obviously not the case.

Does FA start the day after the WS ends, or is there a designated date for the first day?
I think that's the only similarity. The Rays are ahead of the Tigers and will stay there for some time probably due to their young depth and their farm system.Any good Tiger rumours? Doctor Detroit won't return my pm's.

Here is an article giving an overview of the Tigers heading into the free agent season. It mentions that they made try to trade Magglio to cut payroll although it was my understanding that the Tigers weren't looking to cut payroll per se, just not add anything more to it. The Willis, Robertson, and Sheffield deals are killing them although Polanco and Granderson are real good deals.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2008/09/offseason-out-9.html

Offseason Outlook: Detroit Tigers

By Tim Dierkes [september 18, 2008 at 3:10pm CST]

The Tigers are next in our Offseason Outlook series. Here's what they have for 2009:

C - Brandon Inge - $6.3MM

C - Dusty Ryan - $400K

1B - Miguel Cabrera - $15MM

2B - Placido Polanco - $4.6MM

SS - Ramon Santiago - $575K+

3B - Carlos Guillen - $10MM

IF - Michael Hollimon - $400K

IF/OF - Ryan Raburn - $400K

LF - Matt Joyce - $400K

CF - Curtis Granderson - $3.5MM

RF - Magglio Ordonez - $18MM

OF - Marcus Thames - $1.275MM+

DH - Gary Sheffield - $14MM

SP - Justin Verlander - $500K+

SP - Jeremy Bonderman - $12.5MM

SP - Armando Galarraga - $400K

SP - Zach Miner - $410K

SP - Nate Robertson - $7MM

RP - Fernando Rodney - $1.7MM+

RP - Gary Glover - $1.075MM+

RP - Bobby Seay - $780K+

RP - Joel Zumaya - $420K+

RP - Aquilino Lopez - $400K

RP - Clay Rapada - $400K

RP - Freddy Dolsi - $400K

Other commitments: Edgar Renteria - $3MM buyout, Rick Porcello - $1.2MM, Dontrelle Willis - $10MM

The Tigers have about $115MM committed for 2009, not including arbitration raises to Santiago, Thames, Rodney, Glover, Seay, Zumaya, and Verlander. So, they should be over $120MM with the current group. The Tigers had an opening day payroll of $137.7MM in 2008. Lynn Henning says to expect a drastic payroll reduction - "perhaps by $40 million or more."

As Henning notes, the Tigers may need to trade Ordonez to slice payroll down to the $100MM range. Maggs is the team's highest-paid player, and he has a fine .892 OPS. Ordonez essentially comes with a three-year, $48MM contract. Certain teams might find that contract acceptable, but not if the price also includes quality young players. The Braves might be a good match if the Tigers are mainly looking for salary relief.

No team would assume the contracts of Sheffield, Robertson, or Willis, so there's no point in trading them. Polanco, Bonderman, and Thames probably have trade value, but the Tigers don't necessarily have ready replacements.

Even if the Tigers move Ordonez's contract, they won't have much left over for free agents. It's hard to picture marquee free agents like Francisco Rodriguez, C.C. Sabathia, or Rafael Furcal being considered if Henning's report is accurate. They might be able to dig around the bargain bin, re-upping Freddy Garcia and adding a nondescript veteran reliever.

The Tigers can contend in 2009, but it'll probably require comebacks from current players such as Bonderman, Willis, Verlander, Robertson, Sheffield, Rodney, and Zumaya. The Tigers have one blue-chip prospect in Rick Porcello, who might be able to contribute in the second half.

It was difficult watching them lose the WS but I was far more upset with HOW they lost the WS. The sloppy fielding errors by the pitchers was ridiculous. When that season ended, it was tough for it to end that way but I eventually calmed myself down by thinking to myself that no one ever expected them to get there in the first place. I was really pulling for Tampa this year. It looks like they may keep up the similarities with the 2006 Tigers by coming from nowhere to make the World Series only to fall short. I was really thinking TB would benefit from Philly having such a long lay off as the Tigers did in 2006 but that is obviously not the case.

Does FA start the day after the WS ends, or is there a designated date for the first day?
I think that's the only similarity. The Rays are ahead of the Tigers and will stay there for some time probably due to their young depth and their farm system.Any good Tiger rumours? Doctor Detroit won't return my pm's.
I think he's been too busy picking fights in the political threads lately :confused: The only rumor I hear right now is that Boras is trying to convince the Tigers to sign Varitek. I highly doubt that they will do so (and would be upset if they did). I am sure Boras is trying to communicate with a bunch of teams right now that need a catcher, including the Tigers, in order to maximize Varitek's value on the open market.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2008/10/rosenthals-la-4.html

Rosenthal's Latest: Sabathia, Teixeira, Peavy

By Tim Dierkes [October 30, 2008 at 9:00am CST]

Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports posted a new column yesterday; let's take a look.

Rosenthal says the "expectation in some baseball circles" is that the Brewers will offer a four-year, $100MM contract to C.C. Sabathia. However, between the Yankees, Angels, and Dodgers he could probably do significantly better.

Mark Teixeira should draw interest from the Yankees, Red Sox, and Angels. Rosenthal adds that Mike Lowell does not have a no-trade clause (I believe I wrote earlier that he did).

The Padres and Braves are at an impasse in the Jake Peavy talks, with the Padres seeking five players. The Braves don't want to surrender Tommy Hanson, as Tom Krasovic reported Saturday.

Scott Boras is reportedly pitching Jason Varitek as the Tigers' next catcher.

Rosenthal suggests that Manny Ramirez's defense may keep NL teams away.

I keep seeing these Varitek rumors everywhere. PLEASE GOD NO!! He has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING left. And -- he's a type A free agent!

What a HORRIBLE signing that would be. Dusty Ryan is CLEARLY a better player than Varitek right now.

I keep seeing these Varitek rumors everywhere. PLEASE GOD NO!! He has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING left. And -- he's a type A free agent!What a HORRIBLE signing that would be. Dusty Ryan is CLEARLY a better player than Varitek right now.
:bag: As a back-up yes, as the everyday guy hell no. Pretty sure Keerock is a better catcher than Varitek at the moment.

I keep seeing these Varitek rumors everywhere. PLEASE GOD NO!! He has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING left. And -- he's a type A free agent!What a HORRIBLE signing that would be. Dusty Ryan is CLEARLY a better player than Varitek right now.
:bag: As a back-up yes, as the everyday guy hell no. Pretty sure Keerock is a better catcher than Varitek at the moment.
But why sign a type A FA as a backup? Just say no!!

IIRC if he signs after the FA period ends and the Red Sox don't offer him arbitration, there is no compensation required.

I keep seeing these Varitek rumors everywhere. PLEASE GOD NO!! He has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING left. And -- he's a type A free agent!

What a HORRIBLE signing that would be. Dusty Ryan is CLEARLY a better player than Varitek right now.
:goodposting: As a back-up yes, as the everyday guy hell no. Pretty sure Keerock is a better catcher than Varitek at the moment.
Sig worthy #### right there.

:thumbup: As a back-up yes, as the everyday guy hell no. Pretty sure Keerock is a better catcher than Varitek at the moment.
IIRC if he signs after the FA period ends and the Red Sox don't offer him arbitration, there is no compensation required.
If that's the case, then I'd be ok with that.As a side, what's the story on Vance? Last I heard he was still trying to come back.

whoknew said:
Doctor Detroit said:
whoknew said:
Doctor Detroit said:

:popcorn: As a back-up yes, as the everyday guy hell no. Pretty sure Keerock is a better catcher than Varitek at the moment.
If that's the case, then I'd be ok with that.As a side, what's the story on Vance? Last I heard he was still trying to come back.
He filed for free agency

whoknew said:
Doctor Detroit said:
whoknew said:
Doctor Detroit said:

:unsure: As a back-up yes, as the everyday guy hell no. Pretty sure Keerock is a better catcher than Varitek at the moment.
He filed for free agency
If he were healthy, I think a Ryan/VW platoon would be fine. But it doesn't seem like we'll know if VW is healthy enough before spring.

:blackdot: As a back-up yes, as the everyday guy hell no. Pretty sure Keerock is a better catcher than Varitek at the moment.
He filed for free agency
If he were healthy, I think a Ryan/VW platoon would be fine. But it doesn't seem like we'll know if VW is healthy enough before spring.
Please refrain from using "VW" in this threa. tia

Good news to see that Colorado has stated it will not re-sign Fuentes. Maybe we can sign him for a relatively cheap deal to have him as our closer going forward.

skillz said:
Good news to see that Colorado has stated it will not re-sign Fuentes. Maybe we can sign him for a relatively cheap deal to have him as our closer going forward.
He won't be cheap, he should get the second highest contract on the relief pitcher market, which I would think would be significantly more than Todd Jones last year ($7 mil, right?). That's going to eat into a lot of a pretty thin free agent budget, not sure if it is worth it.

skillz said:
He won't be cheap, he should get the second highest contract on the relief pitcher market, which I would think would be significantly more than Todd Jones last year ($7 mil, right?). That's going to eat into a lot of a pretty thin free agent budget, not sure if it is worth it.
It's their biggest need so I have no problem going big for a good closer.

skillz said:
Shortstop and catcher are bigger needs and more rare commodities, if we;re going to over spend for anything I'd rather we go at one (or both) of those positions. It's easier to find good, cheap bullpen help than good, cheap catchers and shortstops.

Shortstop and catcher are bigger needs and more rare commodities, if we;re going to over spend for anything I'd rather we go at one (or both) of those positions. It's easier to find good, cheap bullpen help than good, cheap catchers and shortstops.
I hope it's as easy as you say, last year it didn't look that way. :)

I hope it's as easy as you say, last year it didn't look that way. :thumbdown:
http://baseballmusings.com/Go to the Probabilistic Model of Range Table a few blog entries down on Nov 4th, a good (short) read. Improve the defense behind the pitching and I think you'll see improvement from the pitching staff's production...just need to stop adding guys prone to giving up the long ball (*cough*KYLEFREAKINFARNSWORTH*coughcough*).

Texas has an excess in catchers, I'm hoping Dom can work some sort of Rodney + prospect arm deal for one of them, any one of them but Salty.

Furcal is more than likely a pipe dream but I'd like us to make a run at him, he'd solve a boat load of problems (true lead off hitter, move Grandy down in the order, quality glove, steals bases), I don't care if he's missed a lot of time the last two seasons we need to take some risks, not sure where else we'll find a quality SS.

I agree. Closer should be the top priority. They blew so many saves last year that if they had a solid closer they would have been right in the pennant race even with subpar to average SS and C play. I think if they get those games closed, the Tigers aren't mailing it in at the end of the year and the team is right up there with Chicago and Minnesota down the stretch. If they have limited money to spend it should be on a closer first and foremost.If they don't get Fuentes, is Hoffman even an option? I am thinking he is over the hill, but maybe they can get a year or two out of him if the price is right.

Users who are viewing this thread