What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***The Real Official 2008 World Series Thread*** (1 Viewer)

Finless

Footballguy
Someone had to do it.

:thumbup:

*Subject to programming changes

Last edited by a moderator:
Maddon beat you to it. He put the Wed starting lineup with Shields as the starter up in the clubhouse.

Capella said:
gump said:
Maddon beat you to it. He put the Wed starting lineup with Shields as the starter up in the clubhouse.
:confused:Btw, do those League Champ shirts have the design of a banner on them?
Someone in a 3rd world country would love to have a free Rays league champions shirt.I only wish I could get the Mets Divison champs tshirts for the past 2 years.

With this series not starting until the middle of next week, you have to wonder how much all of that time off will cool the bats of both teams. It happened to the Rockies in '07, and to the Tigers in '06. Makes it a little more difficult to handicap the WS since we do not know how each offense will perform after so much time off. Should be a good series, either way, though. :thumbup:

With this series not starting until the middle of next week, you have to wonder how much all of that time off will cool the bats of both teams. It happened to the Rockies in '07, and to the Tigers in '06. Makes it a little more difficult to handicap the WS since we do not know how each offense will perform after so much time off. Should be a good series, either way, though. :goodposting:
Phils haven't really been tearing the cover off of the ball. They got a number of hits in key spots and were aided by a few pitching meltdowns, Furcal's errors and Torre's overmanaging. I'd say that last year's Rockies were much more affected than this team will be, because the Rockies were totally riding on momentum for 3 or 4 weeks.I think the biggest issue that will be caused by the time off is how Myers is going to do. He was not really on in his last start and he will have about 2 weeks off bewteen starts. Will he be good mentally? Will he be over-rested and too juiced up, thus leaving the ball up in the zone a lot?

Guess who is going to Game 4....................................

We had the choice between 4 or 5 - I chose 4 just to make sure I get to a game.

LOOK AT ME!!!! :coffee:

So let me get this straight. The Rays are up 2 games on The Sox. The last two times the Sox won the world series they had to overcome a 4 game and 3 game deficit. You just witnessed your team drop a 7th inning 7 run lead. But you're booking your world series ticket :loco:

Don't get ahead of yourself. A lot of Sox fans did the same thing in 2003 only to watch a serious meltdown. I'm not saying the Sox will win. But to count them out seems a bit ridiculous considering the recent history. Also they have Beckett and Lester going. I know the Rays pounded both of them but they have the ability to toss no-hit ball on a good night.

So let me get this straight. The Rays are up 2 games on The Sox. The last two times the Sox won the world series they had to overcome a 4 game and 3 game deficit. You just witnessed your team drop a 7th inning 7 run lead. But you're booking your world series ticket :confused: Don't get ahead of yourself. A lot of Sox fans did the same thing in 2003 only to watch a serious meltdown. I'm not saying the Sox will win. But to count them out seems a bit ridiculous considering the recent history. Also they have Beckett and Lester going. I know the Rays pounded both of them but they have the ability to toss no-hit ball on a good night.
UM - I'm a Phillies fan.....Game 4 is @ Philly

So let me get this straight. The Rays are up 2 games on The Sox. The last two times the Sox won the world series they had to overcome a 4 game and 3 game deficit. You just witnessed your team drop a 7th inning 7 run lead. But you're booking your world series ticket :thumbup: Don't get ahead of yourself. A lot of Sox fans did the same thing in 2003 only to watch a serious meltdown. I'm not saying the Sox will win. But to count them out seems a bit ridiculous considering the recent history. Also they have Beckett and Lester going. I know the Rays pounded both of them but they have the ability to toss no-hit ball on a good night.
UM - I'm a Phillies fan.....Game 4 is @ Philly
I knew that ;)

Anyone care to make a prediction?

I think the teams are pretty evenly matched, but it is hard to ignore how rusty the Phillies are likely to be at first, given the six days off between the end of their LCS and Game 1 of the Series. It is hard to overlook how poorly the Rockies and Tigers both played in the last two WS's after also having too much time off in between the LCS and the WS. I am not saying that is the reason the Rays will win, but I think it gives them the definite edge for Game 1 and possibly Game 2.

I'll say, Rays in 6.

Ugh I have a headache. Today should be a holiday here. I think it'll be:

1 - Kaz/Cole

2 - Shields/Myers

3 - Garza/Moyer

4 - Sonnanstine/Blanton

At least that's the order for Philly that ESPN had up last night.

1 - Kaz/Cole - Phillies Win

2 - Shields/Myers - Rays Win

3 - Garza/Moyer - Rays Win

4 - Sonnanstine/Blanton - Rays Win

5 - Kaz/Cole - Phillies Win

6 - Shields/Myers - Rays Win

7 - Garza/Moyer - DNP

Rays in 6

1 - Kaz/Cole - Phillies Win

2 - Shields/Myers - Rays Win

3 - Garza/Moyer - Rays Win

4 - Sonnanstine/Blanton - Rays Win

5 - Kaz/Cole - Phillies Win

6 - Shields/Myers - Rays Win

7 - Garza/Moyer - DNP

Rays in 6
Agree but think it may go 7. Rays deep rotation will be enough to hold off two losses when Hamels pitches. Although Kazmir looked very good in Game 5. :thumbup:

Phillies fan here but Philly never wins anything so its looking good for the Rays.

Is there a line up for the series winner yet?

I don't want to sound arrogant or cocky as the Phils are very good...but I think the Rays are the better team. I thought Boston was the big hurdle and if they got by that they'd be good to go. Starting pitching depth, defense and probably even offense goes to the Rays, while bullpen goes to Philly.

But if you look at the mountain the Rays just climbed and see Beckett, Lester and DiceK...Hamels Moyer and Myers doesn't seem that bad.

The Rays won more games in a tougher division, beat a tougher team in the LCS and have the homefield. I think they take this in 6. And I will feel for my GB bradraiders if that happens.

I really wanted Boston to win - I think Philly matches up better against Boston.

Anyway I'm predicting Philly in a SWEEP - only because I'll be there :lmao:

I'll say Philly in 6 but realistically think Tampa WINS but I can't go against my team :no:

Capella said:
I don't want to sound arrogant or cocky as the Phils are very good...but I think the Rays are the better team. I thought Boston was the big hurdle and if they got by that they'd be good to go. Starting pitching depth, defense and probably even offense goes to the Rays, while bullpen goes to Philly.
The elephant in the room: when will the Brad Lidge of 2006/2007 show up? Every Philly fan has this in the back of their minds, especially those who remember Mitch Williams.

Lehigh98 said:
Phillies fan here but Philly never wins anything so its looking good for the Rays.

Is there a line up for the series winner yet?
Vegas odds favor Rays in World SeriesAssociated Press

LAS VEGAS -- Las Vegas sports books favor the Tampa Bay Rays to win the World Series over the Philadelphia Phillies and would owe huge payouts if the American League champions prevail.

Oddsmakers say enough bettors took the Rays early in the year at long-shot prices to force books to adjust lines to encourage bets on the Phillies.

Sean Van Patten at Las Vegas Sports Consultants says the Rays are favored at minus-$1.35, meaning a gambler would need to bet $1.35 to be paid $1 if Tampa Bay wins.

Van Patten puts the Phillies at plus-$1.15, meaning a $1 bet would earn $1.15 if Philadelphia wins.

Las Vegas Hilton race and sports book director Jay Kornegay says before the start of the season the Rays were a 200-1 shot for the title.

Users who are viewing this thread