What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Reggie Wayne hurt? WTF? (1 Viewer)

xenon

Footballguy
News: Colts WR Reggie Wayne (knee) did not practice Wednesday as the team prepares for Week 9 vs. New England. Wayne has not missed a game this season and made it through Week 8 against Tennessee. He had just three catches for 29 yards.

Analysis: Even though the Colts only announced Wednesday that Wayne is injured, perhaps he has been bothered by a knee injury the last few weeks since he hasn't been very productive. He has just five catches for 53 yards and zero touchdowns in his last two games. Wayne is definitely a better player than his recent numbers have shown. If Wayne can play Week 9, he is a must-start Fantasy option. Continue to track his progress.

At least this would explain why he has been worthless for me lately, all with Roddy on my bench. :mellow:
Finnegan and Woodson would be why Wayne has been useless lately.This was reported on this board yesterday that he missed practiced...lets see what today and tomorrow bring practice wise.

So did he practice today?
I remember hearing on the MNF telecast that he was kicked in the calf/lower leg and the Colts where on offense but he was walking it off and would be back on the next play. I would think it would not be a big deal and would play him cause he is a top fantasy wr option.

It's Gonzo2 time!
Probably the most over-rated, overhyped player in the FF circles for the last year or so. Keep waiting on Anthony Gonzalez to be productive consistently. I would much rather have Dallas Clark. Peyton looks for him a lot more, especially in the red zone.
A.Gonzo's time is next year to be consistent. Everyone can see Harrison is done and lost a step. Gonzo, hold on to him if you can for next year.

BUT...what's the latest, if anything on Wayne? Apparently, he didn't practice today. Precautionary no practice? No practice to rest? or cause for concern for us owners?

Last edited by a moderator:
BUT...what's the latest, if anything on Wayne? Apparently, he didn't practice today. Precautionary no practice? No practice to rest? or cause for concern for us owners?
FWIW: From what I read on another pay site, the team wanted him to rest it. There would be concern if he can't practice Friday.

Mustang Man said:
Sweetness_34 said:
hellz_fireflies said:
It's Gonzo2 time!
Probably the most over-rated, overhyped player in the FF circles for the last year or so. Keep waiting on Anthony Gonzalez to be productive consistently. I would much rather have Dallas Clark. Peyton looks for him a lot more, especially in the red zone.
A.Gonzo's time is next year to be consistent. Everyone can see Harrison is done and lost a step. Gonzo, hold on to him if you can for next year.
He will still be the #3 option after Wayne and Clark. Gonzo does not have the talent Harrison did. In fact expect the entire Indy O to not be as good with Harrison gone.

I love Wayne, but I hope he sits out or just has a bad day. My opponent this weekend has Peyton, Dallas Clarke and Wayne. I hate playing these 'all eggs in one basket' players. They can be an easy win or an unrelenting ###-whipping.

I love Wayne, but I hope he sits out or just has a bad day. My opponent this weekend has Peyton, Dallas Clarke and Wayne. I hate playing these 'all eggs in one basket' players. They can be an easy win or an unrelenting ###-whipping.
Please let us know how it turns out. I, for one, am on the edge of my seat.

*** Thursday Update *** WR Reggie Wayne (IND) did not practice on Thursday
Given how often injuries to key players are covered, I'm surprised we're not hearing more about this. Leads me to believe that it's not a big deal, but you never know I guess.

I don't hit the panic button unless someone doesn't practice on Friday. That said, I do try to have a backup plan in mind whenever I'm watching an injury situation. Wayne's situation puts owners in a pickle because of him playing the Sunday night game.

From RotoWire:

There are conflicting reports on whether Wayne (knee) returned for Thursday's practice. The Terre Haute News reports he practiced, while the team's official web site says he did not participate. "He thinks he's going to be fine," head coach Tony Dungy told the Indianapolis Star.

Spin: The Colts usually only inform the media of a player's injury status before practice and not after. Both reports may then be correct with the team thinking Wayne wasn't going to practice but then later he got out on the field. Either way, it doesn't sound like Wayne's injury is serious. However, check to see if he practices on Friday.

Also on Thursday, the Colts released their second injury report of the week, running back Clifton Dawson (concussion), wide receiver Roy Hall (knee), Hughes (ankle), linebacker Freddy Keiaho (knee), tight end Tom Santi (shoulder), wide receiver Reggie Wayne (knee) and Hayden (knee/hamstring) listed as not participating. “We had a lot of guys who are just banged up, general body soreness, from a very physical Monday Night game that we tried to rest up a little bit,” Dungy said. “Hopefully all of those guys, including Freddy, come back by tomorrow.”
link

I heard (no link) that he was limited today and that he would likely be listed as questionable.
Great.I do think he will go...but how effective is the big cluster f of it.Might have to roll with him and if I hear any late news put Santonio in late if I have to.

per rotoworld

Joseph Addai and Reggie Wayne are both listed as questionable on Friday's injury report.

Wayne was limited in practice Friday. Coach Tony Dungy says Wayne's absence at practice this week was "unusual", but had to do with the short week. Wayne expects to keep his consecutive start streak going - its currently at 88 games. It's a Sunday night game, but we'd plan on using him. Having a last-minute alternative is a good idea. Addai is expected to start.

Apologies for the noob question, but what does "limited" mean when it comes to receivers and practice? Running plays but not taking contact? Working out on the sidelines? Making blender drinks for your quarterback?

Thanks

Apologies for the noob question, but what does "limited" mean when it comes to receivers and practice? Running plays but not taking contact? Working out on the sidelines? Making blender drinks for your quarterback?
It could be any one of those.

Blurgh. I'll have to start Cooley if Wayne is out.

Wish there were shades of limited. But I guess then the injury report would be for fantasy and not for reality.

Sad.

Apologies for the noob question, but what does "limited" mean when it comes to receivers and practice? Running plays but not taking contact? Working out on the sidelines? Making blender drinks for your quarterback? Thanks
All it means is that he did not participate in everything that he would normally participate in practice. It could be running laps, limited stretching, drills, plays, etc.

From RotoWire:

Wayne (knee) did participate in practice on Friday and says he'll be ready to play despite a questionable designation on the injury report. "I'm ready to go," he told the Indianapolis Star.

Let's assume the following......

You roll the dice and earmark Wayne as your starter but we all know he plays Sunday night.

A GTD is made and we find out he is not playing.....

Obviously, in larger leagues, Marvin and A Gonzo or already on rosters.......who's the WR on INDY you p/u? I seriously have no clue.

Let's assume the following......You roll the dice and earmark Wayne as your starter but we all know he plays Sunday night.A GTD is made and we find out he is not playing.....Obviously, in larger leagues, Marvin and A Gonzo or already on rosters.......who's the WR on INDY you p/u? I seriously have no clue.
I've been thinking about exactly this scenario and here are a few of my thoughts:Obviously if you wait until gametime, you need to have a waiver system that allows you to pick up a player while the games are in progress. Since few of us have that kind of system, we need to plan ahead and have Wayne's replacement already on our bench.Second, I think you are being a little myopic in asking "who's the WR on INDY you p/u?" Assuming you can change you line-up after 1pm on Sunday (that is move players in and out so long as their game isn't currently underway), you should be looking at WR replacements for Indy, but also NE (Indy's Sunday Night Footall opponent) and Pitt/Washington (the MNF match-up). In order of preference, I'd suggest seeing which of the following are available:Randel-ElNate WashingtonJabar GaffneyJames ThrashLimas SweedPierre Garcon :wall: FWIW, I picked up Nate Washington earlier this week and am hoping like hell I don't have to use him.

Let's assume the following......You roll the dice and earmark Wayne as your starter but we all know he plays Sunday night.A GTD is made and we find out he is not playing.....Obviously, in larger leagues, Marvin and A Gonzo or already on rosters.......who's the WR on INDY you p/u? I seriously have no clue.
I've been thinking about exactly this scenario and here are a few of my thoughts:Obviously if you wait until gametime, you need to have a waiver system that allows you to pick up a player while the games are in progress. Since few of us have that kind of system, we need to plan ahead and have Wayne's replacement already on our bench.Second, I think you are being a little myopic in asking "who's the WR on INDY you p/u?" Assuming you can change you line-up after 1pm on Sunday (that is move players in and out so long as their game isn't currently underway), you should be looking at WR replacements for Indy, but also NE (Indy's Sunday Night Footall opponent) and Pitt/Washington (the MNF match-up). In order of preference, I'd suggest seeing which of the following are available:Randel-ElNate WashingtonJabar GaffneyJames ThrashLimas SweedPierre Garcon :goodposting: FWIW, I picked up Nate Washington earlier this week and am hoping like hell I don't have to use him.
This is pretty much the list I would work off of. Devon Thomas has been getting worked in more on gamedays as of late. I'd probably slot him between Thrash and Sweed.

I think Wayne will play and I think I will start him. Here's what I'm thinking:

1. From today's IndyStar:

"Wayne Returns

Reggie Wayne, who missed practice Wednesday and Thursday, returned Friday and expects to play Sunday night. He suffered a knee injury in the Colts' loss Monday at Tennessee.

Wayne is the team's leading receiver with 38 catches for 521 yards and four touchdowns, and durability is one of his many assets. He hasn't missed a game since 2001, his rookie season. No one could remember the last time he missed practice.

"Seven years," Wayne said after the workout. "I'm ready to go."

LINK

As evidenced above, Wayne has been saying he'll play all week. His coach has been a bit more vague: Quote from Thursday's IndyStar - ""He thinks he's going to be fine,'' coach Tony Dungy said before Thursday's practice. That is kind of vague, but that is as specific as Dungy will get that early in the week.

2. As far as I can tell, in last week's game Wayne left for some plays in the middle of the game, but when he returned, he stayed in until the end of the game. He was able to finish the game last week with the injury.

3. The Colts are on a short week. It makes sense to rest Wayne as much as possible. And he did get work Friday, so its not like he didn't practice at all.

4. The Colts are 3-4 and 4 games back in their division. They need this game. If Wayne can stand at all, he can help their passing game, which is not what it once was.

These combined factors have me convinced that the Colts rested Wayne this week, but that he will play. Secondly, the Colts have decided to take advantage of this rest as far as the injury report is concerned. Wayne's practice schedule this week qualifies him as questionable, so why list him as probable and help out their hated opponents, the Pats? Conclusion: The Colts are simply looking for a small advantage here, and its a little bit of gamesmanship. Wayne did need the rest, but he will play.

Users who are viewing this thread