Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Orange Crush

How much Voter Fraud is Happening

VOTER FRAUD vs. VOTE DISENFRANCHISEMENT  

415 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Can't wait for election day, another chance to test how little I can ID myself and still get a ballot. I'm past waving a piece of junk mail with an address on it to get a ballot in the name of the person who it's addressed to. Last time it was just three letters of a last name and they gave me a ballot. I think this year, I'm just going to point at the name of the person who's ballot I want and see if they give it to me.

Keep us posted.
Update?

Voting after work. Will update. Either here or in the thread where I've tracked my results in the past, I'll have to search for it.

"This is just another example of "government gone wild" with exercising authority not granted to it by our laws or the Constitution," said the e-mail.

I sure hope he's not referring to the U.S. Constitution in that quote, because it's a Minnesota state law and its judicial interpretation that has him frothing at the mouth. Maybe he should go back and read the 10th Amendment.

Kansas Voters Report Callers Telling Them They Need Proof Of Home Ownership To VoteRachel Slajda | November 2, 2010, 1:22PMThe Kansas attorney general has opened an investigation into reports that voters across Kansas have received calls giving them a slew of false information about the election: That the election has been moved to Wednesday, that they need to bring their voter registration cards to the polls and that they need proof of homeownership to vote."That's a felony," AG spokesperson Gavin Young tells TPMmuckraker. Young said the complaints were not concentrated in a specific area, but came from all over the state. Contrary to original reports of robocalls, Young said many of the voters said they received live calls from real people.He wouldn't say how many complaints the office received, but noted that the bulk came in over the weekend, with another six or so coming in yesterday."We haven't seen this for quite a while," Young said. In 2000, reports of calls telling voters they needed their voter registration cards to vote lead to stricter voting intimidation laws in the state.No ID or proof of home ownership is required at Kansas polls. First time voters, however, must bring an ID or a utility bill as proof of address.The state Democratic party, which asked the attorney general (also a Dem) for the investigation, blamed the calls on Republicans, saying the calls came from "as yet unnamed Republican organization."The state Republican party dismissed the notion and called into question whether the calls were even made."This is a desperate attempt by a desperate party," a spokeswoman, Ashley McMillan, told TPM. "We haven't seen any proof of a call like this going out."McMillan added that if the call was real, it wasn't coming from the GOP.Young admitted the office doesn't have a recording of the call yet, saying investigators are trying to track one down.A spokesman for Secretary of State Chris Biggs a Democrat who is running for election, said the calls were made by someone "who knows what they're doing," noting that messages haven't been left on answering machines.A spokesman for Biggs' opponent, Kris Kobach -- who has been banging the drum of voter fraud -- said he hadn't heard the reports."This is evidence we need Kris Kobach in office," said the spokesman, Ben Davis, adding that such action is "deplorable."

Kansas Voters Report Callers Telling Them They Need Proof Of Home Ownership To VoteRachel Slajda | November 2, 2010, 1:22PMThe Kansas attorney general has opened an investigation into reports that voters across Kansas have received calls giving them a slew of false information about the election: That the election has been moved to Wednesday, that they need to bring their voter registration cards to the polls and that they need proof of homeownership to vote.

A good rule of thumb is to completely ignore stories like this unless somebody can produce a recording of such a phone call.

A spokesman for Secretary of State Chris Biggs a Democrat who is running for election, said the calls were made by someone "who knows what they're doing," noting that messages haven't been left on answering machines.

Oh, how convenient. Edited by IvanKaramazov

Hello, Minnesota!

On Friday, October 30, 2010, a member of the Minnesota Freedom Council witnessed apparent voter fraud occurring at the Crow Wing County Courthouse in Brainerd, Minnesota. Upwards of 100 residents from a local group home for mentally disadvantaged individuals were brought into the County Courthouse to cast absentee ballots. The witness reported that supervisors were telling voters to cast a straight Democratic ticket. There was even a report of a voter prematurely leaving the voting both and a supervisor casting the ballot for the voter. Essentially, the people in-charge were taking advantage of the mentally disabled in order to bolster the vote for their candidates of choice. These individuals involved can be charged with a felony under Minnesota election laws.

With video at the link.
Lots of mentally handicapped people vote Democrat. Nothing to see here.

The way we are currently headed the United States is going to collapse within most of our lifetime and it seems that all people care about is trying to put themselves into position to blame the other side.Is anyone willing to table personal and party agendas for the purpose of fixing the actual problems we face?

Our government was set up to make it very difficult for them to actually do anything. Unfortunately, both sides have pushed, pulled, and expanded their roles over time to where the government is now an albatross on our economy. The system put in place to make things difficult for expanding government is now equally effective at preventing contraction.I'm not sure anything can be done at this point. Hopefully when we rebuild we put fiscal constraints on government again.If there is evidence of fraud it needs to be prosecuted. We can't allow those in charge to pass the buck when it favors them. I don't care who it is. Even if only a handful of people are prosected at least send a message. Edited by jonessed

Wow. A lot of proof there with the emails and the spreadsheets. I can't imagine Harrah's needs that kind of publicity. It's not like they only cater to Democrats.
But is anything they did there actually illeagal? :football:

I agree that it is stupid from a strictly PR standpoint though, are they really that tied to Reid?

Wait. People in Kansas can vote without showing an ID or registration card?

People in many states can.

Can't wait for election day, another chance to test how little I can ID myself and still get a ballot. I'm past waving a piece of junk mail with an address on it to get a ballot in the name of the person who it's addressed to. Last time it was just three letters of a last name and they gave me a ballot. I think this year, I'm just going to point at the name of the person who's ballot I want and see if they give it to me.

Keep us posted.
Update?

Voting after work. Will update. Either here or in the thread where I've tracked my results in the past, I'll have to search for it.

:shrug:

Decided to beat the evening rush and vote during my lunch hour.

It worked.

Kansas Voters Report Callers Telling Them They Need Proof Of Home Ownership To VoteRachel Slajda | November 2, 2010, 1:22PMThe Kansas attorney general has opened an investigation into reports that voters across Kansas have received calls giving them a slew of false information about the election: That the election has been moved to Wednesday, that they need to bring their voter registration cards to the polls and that they need proof of homeownership to vote.

A good rule of thumb is to completely ignore stories like this unless somebody can produce a recording of such a phone call.
Completely ignore it? No. If several people across the state all report similar calls, it's worth authorities looking into.

Keep us posted.
Update?

It worked.

You committed voter fraud? Congratulations.

Wait. People in Kansas can vote without showing an ID or registration card?

People in many states can.
In Wisconsin you can register at the polls, and the only thing you need is a person in line saying you're telling the truth and they know who you are.It's horrifying

It worked.

I pointed to my own name, Copernicus. I just wanted to see what would happen if I did.

I walked up to the lady at the table. She asked for my name. I told her to open up the voter roll book to the first letter of my actual last name. She did. I pointed to my own last name (long, hard to spell Italian name). "Mr. Video Guy 505?" "Yes I am." "Sign here. Here's your ballot."

:pickle:

It worked.

I pointed to my own name, Copernicus. I just wanted to see what would happen if I did.

I walked up to the lady at the table. She asked for my name. I told her to open up the voter roll book to the first letter of my actual last name. She did. I pointed to my own last name (long, hard to spell Italian name). "Mr. Video Guy 505?" "Yes I am." "Sign here. Here's your ballot."

So you opted not to commit voter fraud. You bravely voted in your own name. What was the point of this story then? Edited by pantagrapher

So you opted not to commit voter fraud. You bravely voted in your own name. What was the point of this story then?

:cool:What's your problem? I've been documenting over the last several elections how easy it is to get a ballot in CA without showing any form of ID. Did you not believe me? Come on, Mike, even you know that the only reason I used my own name was to have a fall-back position if I was challenged by a poll worker. That I had my ID in my pocket, ready to go, if I was ever asked for it. No one asked.The point is that someone more devious than I could have easily committed voter fraud.It's exactly like when a business hires an ex-con to try and crack their security system. It's a test. Just because the guy is breaking in with permission, it's still breaking in. It's obvious that the CA voting system fails the voters in this regard.Really, what's the difference whether it was my own name or not? My own honesty is all that was stopping fraud. No protection at all from the state against it.It should be more difficult to get a ballot than just pointing at a name on the page. This state needs to change the voter ID laws. Edited by videoguy505

So you opted not to commit voter fraud. You bravely voted in your own name. What was the point of this story then?

:shrug:What's your problem? I've been documenting over the last several elections how easy it is to get a ballot in CA without showing any form of ID. Did you not believe me? Come on, Mike, even you know that the only reason I used my own name was to have a fall-back position if I was challenged by a poll worker. That I had my ID in my pocket, ready to go, if I was ever asked for it. No one asked.The point is that someone more devious than I could have easily committed voter fraud.It's exactly like when a business hires an ex-con to try and crack their security system. It's a test. Just because the guy is breaking in with permission, it's still breaking in. It's obvious that the CA voting system fails the voters in this regard.
When you said

I think this year, I'm just going to point at the name of the person who's[sic] ballot I want and see if they give it to me.

you were creating the impression you were going to show how easy it was to commit voter fraud by voting in someone else's name. OK, so you pointed to your own name. Had you pointed to someone else's name and voted in their name, you would run the obvious risk that the person whose name you voted in shows up later and poll workers realize that you cast an illegal ballot. And for what? You didn't cast an extra vote for any party unless your master plan is to go from polling place to polling place all day pulling the same scam—1. greatly increasing the chance that you get caught 2. ensuring that when you do get caught, you can't claim it was an accident and 3. for what, a few extra votes for one candidate?Like I said, all you proved is how easy it is to vote legally. Because that's what you did. Saying what you could have done means nothing. Edited by pantagrapher

you were creating the impression you were going to show how easy it was to commit voter fraud by voting in someone else's name. OK, so you pointed to your own name. Had you pointed to someone else's name and voted in their name, you would run the obvious risk that the person whose name you voted in shows up later and poll workers realize that you cast an illegal ballot. And for what? You didn't cast an extra vote for any party unless your master plan is to go from polling place to polling place all day pulling the same scam—1. greatly increasing the chance that you get caught 2. ensuring that when you do get caught, you can't claim it was an accident and 3. for what, a few extra votes for one candidate?Like I said, all you proved is how easy it is to vote legally. Because that's what you did. Saying what you could have done means nothing.

Really? You don't see the problem here? That anyone could vote using someone else's name isn't an issue to you?

you were creating the impression you were going to show how easy it was to commit voter fraud by voting in someone else's name. OK, so you pointed to your own name. Had you pointed to someone else's name and voted in their name, you would run the obvious risk that the person whose name you voted in shows up later and poll workers realize that you cast an illegal ballot. And for what? You didn't cast an extra vote for any party unless your master plan is to go from polling place to polling place all day pulling the same scam—1. greatly increasing the chance that you get caught 2. ensuring that when you do get caught, you can't claim it was an accident and 3. for what, a few extra votes for one candidate?Like I said, all you proved is how easy it is to vote legally. Because that's what you did. Saying what you could have done means nothing.

Really? You don't see the problem here? That anyone could vote using someone else's name isn't an issue to you?
What's the incentive to vote in someone else's name vs. the consequences for being caught doing so?Committing many crimes is technically "easy," that's why we have laws to punish those who cross that line.

you would run the obvious risk that the person whose name you voted in shows up later and poll workers realize that you cast an illegal ballot.

What risk?

They don't know who I am. They don't know what ballot I cast. What's the risk? If I used my neighbor's name, and voted in his place, then he showed up at the polls... he wouldn't be allowed to vote. No matter what ID he showed. He's out. They can't cancel the ballot I cast and replace it with his. My ballot stays in the box. His doesn't get to get cast (unless there's recourse for a provisional ballot--I honestly don't know, but I doubt it).

[What would stop me from showing up as myself and getting a second ballot and claiming my unregistered twin brother voted in my place? Second guy who shows up with the same name doesn't get to vote, as far as I know how it works here. "Sorry sir, you've already voted. Your name has been crossed off the list.]

So, yeah, I could have gone to the same polling place in a different T shirt and a baseball cap an hour later and voted again. Then I could have waited for the evening shift of poll workers to clock in and done it again. I could have driven around LA going from polling place to polling place without being challenged.

There's a voter ID constitutional amendment that's been proposed. It should be passed. That's my point.

Edited by videoguy505

I honestly don't see how anyone could reasonably hold the position that being asked to show a photo ID to vote should be illegal.

I don't see why people think it's OK how the system works now.

Committing many crimes is technically "easy," that's why we have laws to punish those who cross that line.

There are simple steps to take to prevent almost any crime. Want to prevent most shoplifting? Hire a guard and put in security cameras.

Voter fraud is the only thing I know of where all safeguards against the crime are illegal.

Why would anyone be against a simple ID law?

Edited by videoguy505

you would run the obvious risk that the person whose name you voted in shows up later and poll workers realize that you cast an illegal ballot.

What risk?

They don't know who I am. They don't know what ballot I cast. What's the risk? If I used my neighbor's name, and voted in his place, then he showed up at the polls... he wouldn't be allowed to vote. No matter what ID he showed. He's out. They can't cancel the ballot I cast and replace it with his. My ballot stays in the box. His doesn't get to get cast (unless there's recourse for a provisional ballot--I honestly don't know, but I doubt it).

[What would stop me from showing up as myself and getting a second ballot and claiming my unregistered twin brother voted in my place? Second guy who shows up with the same name doesn't get to vote, as far as I know how it works here.]

So, yeah, I could have gone to the same polling place in a different T shirt and a baseball cap an hour later and voted again. Then I could have waited for the evening shift of poll workers to clock in and done it again. I could have driven around LA going from polling place to polling place without being challenged.

There's a voter ID constitutional amendment that's been proposed. It should be passed. That's my point.

You could have done a lot of things. You didn't because 1. law abiding citizens don't typically commit felonies just because they think they might get away with it and 2. because you're not stupid enough to believe your voter fraud spree would have any influence on the outcome unless you exposed yourself to appreciable risk of being caught.

Committing many crimes is technically "easy," that's why we have laws to punish those who cross that line.

There are simple steps to take to prevent almost any crime. Want to prevent most shoplifting? Hire a guard and put in security cameras.

Voter fraud is the only thing I know of where all safeguards against the crime are illegal.

Have you honestly never read anything about this issue?

You could have done a lot of things. You didn't because 1. law abiding citizens don't typically commit felonies just because they think they might get away with it and 2. because you're not stupid enough to believe your voter fraud spree would have any influence on the outcome unless you exposed yourself to appreciable risk of being caught.

Right. I'm an individual who decided not to commit a crime because I don't value it.ACORN members thought differently.

The only people against Voter ID are Democrats.

Think about it.

I have.

I find the arguments against making sure the right person votes are illogical.

Morgan Freeman said they are using him to support a candidate in NC he didn't authorize(they are using voice double saying it is him).

Surprise it is a republican.

Boehner was also told to stop using Johnny Cas'hs name in ads.

Morgan Freeman said they are using him to support a candidate in NC he didn't authorize(they are using voice double saying it is him).

Surprise it is a republican.

The Republican was using God in his campaign commercials. Sometimes Morgan forgets it was just a role he played.

Completely ignore it? No. If several people across the state all report similar calls, it's worth authorities looking into.
Let the authorities look into it. And then don't be surprised when nobody's talking about three days after the election. Every single election features a few stories like this on election day, and almost with exception they end up being completely unsubstantiated.

I've read quite a bit about this issue, and I agree with videoguy. I don't think there's a single defensible argument against voter ID laws, provided that the state provides IDs free of charge for those who need them.

Black Panther Party thug watch

PHILADELPHIA – Fox 29 News spotted Tuesday a member of the New Black Panther Party standing outside of a local polling place where voter intimidation was reported two years ago.

The man was seen outside the polling place in North Philadelphia was wearing a pin that indicated his party affiliation, along with a black hat, sunglasses and leather coat.

In footage obtained by Fox News back in 2008, two members of the New Black Panther Party stood outside the same polling place shaking a Billy club and allegedly intimidating voters.

I honestly don't see how anyone could reasonably hold the position that being asked to show a photo ID to vote should be illegal.

Can you show me in the constitution where a citizen is required to have an ID?

Hey....you're not one of them activist judges are you?

PHILADELPHIA – Fox 29 News spotted Tuesday a member of the New Black Panther Party standing outside of a local polling place where voter intimidation was reported two years ago.

The man was seen outside the polling place in North Philadelphia was wearing a pin that indicated his party affiliation, along with a black hat, sunglasses and leather coat.

In footage obtained by Fox News back in 2008, two members of the New Black Panther Party stood outside the same polling place shaking a Billy club and allegedly intimidating voters.

Standing while black. Even a registered poll watcher. Not illegal yet but you will have the house this session.......

A person has to meet X number of qualifications to vote... being 18, being a resident, not being a convict, and being pre-registered to name a few. Make presenting a free, government issued photo ID one of them.

Standing while black. Even a registered poll watcher. Not illegal yet but you will have the house this session.......
He sounded pretty intimidating.

He sounded pretty intimidating.
Well THEY can be.

A person has to meet X number of qualifications to vote... being 18, being a resident, not being a convict, and being pre-registered to name a few. Make presenting a free, government issued photo ID one of them.

The government should spare no expense in preventing this crime that barely ever happens.

The government should spare no expense in preventing this crime that barely ever happens.

Really, what's your beef with making sure the right person votes? Is it unamerican to ask for ID? Or do you think we shouldn't bother because it doesn't happen often enough to worry about preventing?

Edited by videoguy505

Or do you think we shouldn't bother because it doesn't happen often enough to worry about preventing?

I think it doesn't happen often enough to merit an incredibly expensive bureaucracy charged with ensuring every eligible voter is provided with a photo ID. I worry about preventing voter fraud enough that I believe anyone who does it should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law.

Or do you think we shouldn't bother because it doesn't happen often enough to worry about preventing?

I think it doesn't happen often enough to merit an incredibly expensive bureaucracy charged with ensuring every eligible voter is provided with a photo ID.

I worry about preventing voter fraud enough that I believe anyone who does it should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law.

What's the incredibly expensive bureaucracy? There are four poll workers there at the desk already who ask your name. Just have them look at a photo ID... hell, let 'em use it to spell my name right, it'd save a lot of time. Most people have driver's licenses, which would work just fine. Those that don't would need another gov't issued photo ID. If they're don't have one, they can ask the gov't for one... which most states (including California) provide already anyway ($7 here. No idea how many people take advantage of it, but it can't be that many. Knock that price down to $0 for registered voters only (instead of minors who use the ID for border travel), and we're talking a cost of only tens of thousands of dollars to safeguard the institution of democracy) . There's nothing new to add. I don't get the "bureaucracy" you envision. The old lady at the desk looks at my ID. Like a bouncer at a club. That's it, and all the whining about ACORN and Black Panthers and what have you stops.