What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How much Voter Fraud is Happening (2 Viewers)

Which is worse / which is MORE UNJUST?

• An illegitimate vote being counted

Votes: 73 27.4%
  • A legitimate vote not being counted

Votes: 193 72.6%

• Total voters
MaxThreshold said:
Todd Andrews said:
MaxThreshold said:
Maurile Tremblay said:
Wisconsin State Sen. Dale Schultz, a longtime Republican:

There seems to be this mythology that we have all these voting iregularities and all this massive fraud. I began this session thinking that there was some lack of faith in our voting process and we maybe needed to address it. But I have come to the conclusion that this is far less noble....

It’s just, I think, sad when a political party — my political party — has so lost faith in its ideas that it’s pouring all of its energy into election mechanics. And again, I’m a guy who understands and appreciates what we should be doing in order to make sure every vote counts, every vote is legitimate.

But the fact is, it ought to be abundantly clear to everybody in this state that there is no massive voter fraud. The only thing that we do have in this state is we have long lines of people who want to vote. And it seems to me that we should be doing everything we can to make it easier, to help these people get their votes counted. And that we should be pitching as political parties our ideas for improving things in the future, rather than mucking around in the mechanics and making it more confrontational at the voting sites and trying to suppress the vote...

I'm not willing to defend this anymore. I'm just not.
Meh. Schultz is barely a republican. Mostly a RINO.
Nice work, MaxKooK: Anyone who is in favor of Americans voting cant possibly be a Good Republican.

Way to keep the issue in focus for us.
Who's denying Americans to vote? That's a lie propagated by the left. Fools like you will fall for it every single time.
Why are you KooKs so afraid to let Americans actually vote on your Good Republican ideas?
I see what you're going for. But who would want people who can't manage to figure out how to get an ID voting on anything more complicated than whether they're going to eat McDonald's or Burger King for lunch?
Yeah, except we both know thats not really what is going on. Telling college kids they cant use their college IDs or have to vote in their home states instead of where they go to school and lots of the other bs isnt intended to do anything but keep Americans from voting, and you know it.

Dont get me wrong, I hate apathetic, uninformed, misinformed morons as much as the next person. Probably more. But they are Americans and making it more difficult for them to vote is not what this country is about (any longer).
:tinfoilhat:

Really? I think your conspiracy theories are getting the best of you. You're the real nut job around here. :lmao:
Conspiracy theory? :lmao: :lmao:

Hello, I'd like to make it harder for the the people who, in a million years would never vote for me, to vote, on the subterfuge that there's this massive conspiracy , for which there is zero evidence, to defraud the constitution by voting in my dead cousin's name.
Hello, I'd like for there to be no restrictions whatsoever on voters other than they must be able to show up at a polling place because it means more votes for me.
if only there was some kind of registration for voting
I'm going to register as joffer.

Hello, I'd like to make it harder for the the people who, in a million years would never vote for me, to vote, on the subterfuge that there's this massive conspiracy , for which there is zero evidence, to defraud the constitution by voting in my dead cousin's name.
Hello, I'd like for there to be no restrictions whatsoever on voters other than they must be able to show up at a polling place because it means more votes for me.
Why are you afraid of people voting? Why isn't widespread participation a good thing?
There are millions of people living in this country illegally and legally who I don't believe have a right to vote. I'm in favor of not letting those people vote.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why are you afraid of people voting? Why isn't widespread participation a good thing?
There's are millions of people living in this country illegally and legally who I don't believe have a right to vote. I'm in favor of not letting those people vote.
Is there an epidemic of these people voting illegally?

There's are millions of people living in this country illegally and legally who I don't believe have a right to vote. I'm in favor of not letting those people vote.
There is no way of knowing.

:lmao: OK

We'll just assume there is

I don't now. But I think there should be some impediments set up to keep them from doing so.

MaxThreshold said:
Todd Andrews said:
MaxThreshold said:
Maurile Tremblay said:

There seems to be this mythology that we have all these voting iregularities and all this massive fraud. I began this session thinking that there was some lack of faith in our voting process and we maybe needed to address it. But I have come to the conclusion that this is far less noble....

It’s just, I think, sad when a political party — my political party — has so lost faith in its ideas that it’s pouring all of its energy into election mechanics. And again, I’m a guy who understands and appreciates what we should be doing in order to make sure every vote counts, every vote is legitimate.

But the fact is, it ought to be abundantly clear to everybody in this state that there is no massive voter fraud. The only thing that we do have in this state is we have long lines of people who want to vote. And it seems to me that we should be doing everything we can to make it easier, to help these people get their votes counted. And that we should be pitching as political parties our ideas for improving things in the future, rather than mucking around in the mechanics and making it more confrontational at the voting sites and trying to suppress the vote...

Meh. Schultz is barely a republican. Mostly a RINO.
Nice work, MaxKooK: Anyone who is in favor of Americans voting cant possibly be a Good Republican.

Way to keep the issue in focus for us.
Who's denying Americans to vote? That's a lie propagated by the left. Fools like you will fall for it every single time.
Why are you KooKs so afraid to let Americans actually vote on your Good Republican ideas?
I see what you're going for. But who would want people who can't manage to figure out how to get an ID voting on anything more complicated than whether they're going to eat McDonald's or Burger King for lunch?
Yeah, except we both know thats not really what is going on. Telling college kids they cant use their college IDs or have to vote in their home states instead of where they go to school and lots of the other bs isnt intended to do anything but keep Americans from voting, and you know it.

Dont get me wrong, I hate apathetic, uninformed, misinformed morons as much as the next person. Probably more. But they are Americans and making it more difficult for them to vote is not what this country is about (any longer).
:tinfoilhat:

Really? I think your conspiracy theories are getting the best of you. You're the real nut job around here. :lmao:
Don't tell me you believe in it to? That there is some nefarious plot to suppress voters? Really? :lmao:

We'll just assume there is
:hifive:

If the Republicans worked with half as hard to come up with an attractive political platform as they did to supress Democratic voting....they'd win most elections.

Max is in a total separate reality from everyone else.

That's why he keeps talking about other peoples "truths". Because his truth is removed from reality.

Even if the truth is laid bare before him, he will call names and then start to spin, spin, spin.

So very crazy and so very conservative.

Don't tell me you believe in it to? That there is some nefarious plot to suppress voters? Really? :lmao:
That's exactly what it is, and it's not even a secret.
Sorry, but It's a left wing delusion. Putting some process and rules around voting is not suppression as much as you would like to believe. Nothing BST listed in his bullet points comes close to suppression.

Max is in a total separate reality from everyone else.

That's why he keeps talking about other peoples "truths". Because his truth is removed from reality.

Even if the truth is laid bare before him, he will call names and then start to spin, spin, spin.

So very crazy and so very conservative.
Whatever you say, Komrade BST.

Sorry, but It's a left wing delusion. Putting some process and rules around voting is not suppression as much as you would like to believe. Nothing BST listed in his bullet points comes close to suppression.
Yeah, I'm the delusional one.

Yeah, I'm the delusional one.
You certainly are. Glad we can agree on something.

And what about the MULTIPLE Republicans who state its exactly what they are doing? Including in the post with the bullet points. And even in the videos before that.

And what about the MULTIPLE Republicans who state its exactly what they are doing? Including in the post with the bullet points. And even in the videos before that.
RINOs!!!

Rich Conway said:
There aren't enough details in your list to really know exactly what some of them mean, but...

I don't really see an issue with any of these:

• The end of pre-registration for 16 & 17 year olds - Meh, who cares. Most 18 year olds shouldn't be voting anyway.
  • A ban on paid voter registration drives - I'm not a fan of voter registration drives to begin with. We shouldn't be encouraging apathetic people to cast votes.
  • Elimination of same day voter registration - Meh. If someone can't be bothered enough to register, they likely don't know enough about the issues to cast an intelligent vote anyway.
  • Elimination of straight party ticket voting - Why is this one bad, exactly?
  • An increase in the maximum campaign contribution to $5,000 (the limit will continue to increase every two years with the Consumer Price Index from the Bureau of Labor Statistics) - Why shouldn't campaign contribution limits be indexed to inflation? I assume you think that minimum wage, welfare, and foodstamps all should be indexed, no?
  • Elimination of flexibility in opening early voting sites at different hours within a county - You're arguing that different locations for certain races should open and close at different times? Seems like allowing different open/close times is an invitation for parties in power to suppress votes.
  • New limits on who can assist a voter adjudicated to be incompetent by court - I would suggest that someone deemed incompetent by a court shouldn't be allowed to vote at all.
IvanKaramazov said:
fatness said:
Rich Conway said:
What GOP legislators actually do and how they do it has zero bearing on my philosophical arguments for voter ID.
That's a nice place to avoid talking about what's actually going on -- an obvious attempt to prevent legitimate voters from voting, for political advantage.
I agree with Rich in that I'm in favor of making it harder for apathetic and disengaged people to vote. If one party happens to rely disproportionately on those people as part of its coalition, tough.
Both Rich and Ivan are on board with making it harder for legitimate voters to vote.

Rich Conway said:
There aren't enough details in your list to really know exactly what some of them mean, but...

• The end of pre-registration for 16 & 17 year olds - Meh, who cares. Most 18 year olds shouldn't be voting anyway.
  • A ban on paid voter registration drives - I'm not a fan of voter registration drives to begin with. We shouldn't be encouraging apathetic people to cast votes.
  • Elimination of same day voter registration - Meh. If someone can't be bothered enough to register, they likely don't know enough about the issues to cast an intelligent vote anyway.
  • An increase in the maximum campaign contribution to $5,000 (the limit will continue to increase every two years with the Consumer Price Index from the Bureau of Labor Statistics) - Why shouldn't campaign contribution limits be indexed to inflation? I assume you think that minimum wage, welfare, and foodstamps all should be indexed, no?
  • Elimination of flexibility in opening early voting sites at different hours within a county - You're arguing that different locations for certain races should open and close at different times? Seems like allowing different open/close times is an invitation for parties in power to suppress votes.
  • New limits on who can assist a voter adjudicated to be incompetent by court - I would suggest that someone deemed incompetent by a court shouldn't be allowed to vote at all.
IvanKaramazov said:
fatness said:
Rich Conway said:
What GOP legislators actually do and how they do it has zero bearing on my philosophical arguments for voter ID.
That's a nice place to avoid talking about what's actually going on -- an obvious attempt to prevent legitimate voters from voting, for political advantage.
I agree with Rich in that I'm in favor of making it harder for apathetic and disengaged people to vote. If one party happens to rely disproportionately on those people as part of its coalition, tough.
Both Rich and Ivan are on board with making it harder for legitimate voters to vote.
99% of legitimate voters have proper id and for the other 1% it is an easy fix. What it does is make it harder for illegal votes to be cast and gives some accountability so you can stop people from voting multiple times under factious names, for dead people, or people who have moved.

Rich Conway said:

IvanKaramazov said:
fatness said:
Rich Conway said:
I'm not necessarily in favor of making it harder for apathetic voters to vote, but I see no great need to make it easier, either.

Rich Conway said:

IvanKaramazov said:
fatness said:
Rich Conway said:
What's that term called when you take what someone said...throw it completely out the window....make up something else not based in fact...then accuse them of saying that instead?

That's what you just did here.

<p>

Rich Conway said:

IvanKaramazov said:
fatness said:
Rich Conway said:
What's that term called when you take what someone said...throw it completely out the window....make up something else not based in fact...then accuse them of saying that instead?

That's what you just did here.
What then is your response to the ADMITTED FACT that the Republican Party is motivated by limiting the votes of dems in an effort to tilt elections their way as opposed to taking steps to truly ensure a more fair and verifiable voting process?I can't speak for anyone else, but personally I have no issue with a well thought out and fairly executed plan that is properly phased in. Sadly that's not what we have been facing. Instead it's forcing the position of one party in a purposeful effort to help their own electoral chances even if/when it not only disenfranchises voters in the process, but especially population groups that have traditionally been politically and economically disenfranchised from a historic perspective.

It's about the cold, calculating and anti-American motivation that so disturbs many of us as opposed to the red herring goal of stopping a use that, by and large, hardly exists, if at all in a meaningful way.

I don't now. But I think there should be some impediments set up to keep them from doing so.
Sure... that's one of the big arguments for voter registration. It's a barrier to participation in the process, but it does serve a purpose.

What's the argument for making registration hard, or introducing additional barriers?

Sure... that's one of the big arguments for voter registration. It's a barrier to participation in the process, but it does serve a purpose.

What's the argument for making registration hard, or introducing additional barriers?
Registration only makes sure that the person is eligible to vote and at least at one time lived in the voting district. There is nothing that stops anyone from showing up on election day and saying "I am John Smith" and voting. Our voting system has no checks on anyone showing up. It is impossible to stop someone from voting four, five, six, or seven times at different voting locations or even at the same locations at different times of the day. It is not really a barrier since ID's are available for less than the price of a value meal and even free in many states. It is a necessary step to ensure that our elections are not being gamed by voters, which right now it is way too easy.

ETA: Even a simple thing like dipping one's thumb in ink once they voted would be a step in the right direction.

proninja said:
Is trying to stop people from voting six times a bad idea or only having votes from people eligible to vote? It is ridiculously easy to vote in this country and it is ridiculously easy to vote for your dead relative or for someone who moved or cote in multiple locations. Only a few people get caught, but that does not mean it only occurs on a small scale. It is rather a difficult thing to catch the way elections are run. Even though hundreds of thousands of dollars have been spent looking for any reason to justify these laws aside from the obvious reason of disenfranchisement of people who traditionally vote D, and no good reason for these laws has popped up, I still believe that good reasons exist out there! I'll continue to believe that there is some theoretical good reason out there for voter ID laws despite all evidence pointing to the opposite, just because it might possibly be true! I have critical thinking skills!
Fixed
What do you have against even a smidgen of accountability for people being who they say they are when they vote? It is is really stupid on our part. It was an OK system when everyone in the community knew everyone else. But in today's world, it is a simple and necessary check to ensure credibility in our election process. All this disenfranchise stuff is smoke and mirrors to keep the Democrats illegitimate voting base.

Let's start with what you mean by "hard" and "additional." As an example, some say people should be allowed to register the day of the vote. Others say a person should be registered prior to the day of the vote. Is one harder than the other?

Let's start with what you mean by "hard" and "additional." As an example, some say people should be allowed to register the day of the vote. Others say a person should be registered prior to the day of the vote. Is one harder than the other?
Two trips is harder than one. And there's an urgency to voting (lots of publicity, immediate stake in the outcome, knowing where to go, held on one single day) that most people don't feel with registration. Do a quick Google search if you're interested in how much advance registration suppresses turnout -- it's significant.

Two trips is harder than one. And there's an urgency to voting (lots of publicity, immediate stake in the outcome, knowing where to go, held on one single day) that most people don't feel with registration. Do a quick Google search if you're interested in how much advance registration suppresses turnout -- it's significant.
Trips where? Federal law requires states to allow you to register by mail. Your urgency issue is a non-starter. People are taught about elections and voting starting in grade school. And the media starts talking about elections well in advance of voting day. Illinois is a pretty liberal state and it requires 30 days advance registration. If it was as significant as you are stating, it would have been changed by now.

Good. People who can't bother to plan ahead a little shouldn't be voting.

Sorry, but It's a left wing delusion. Putting some process and rules around voting is not suppression as much as you would like to believe.
When Republican politicians and their fans propose voter ID laws, it's pretty much all about reducing voter turnout among those who are likely to vote Democrat. I don't think there's any reasonable dispute about that.

There's such a thing as being legitimately concerned about voter fraud, but that's pretty clearly not what's going on with these voter ID initiatives since they wouldn't really do anything to prevent the types of voter fraud most likely to occur.

(I'm not saying that Democratic politicians are any nobler than Republican politicians. They'd pull the same crap if they had the chance. It's very easy to find examples of Democrats flip-flopping on the merits of filibustering depending on which party controls the Senate, for example, which is the same idea. Both sides are perfectly willing to use procedural mechanisms to gain an edge when they're not sure they can win on the merits. It just so happens that on the voter ID issue, it's more blatant among Republicans because they're the ones manufacturing a fake solution to a transparently overstated problem.)

If it was as significant as you are stating, it would have been changed by now.
I hope you make better arguments in court. Maybe with some, you know, citations and stuff.

Studies of turnout across states find that states with later registration dates orelection day registration have much higher turnout rates. Eliminating registration barriers altogether is estimated to raise voter participation rates by 5 to 10 percentage points.
In 1978 Rosenstone and Wolfinger reported that an early closing date for registration had the most powerful effect on turnout. They estimate that if the closing date for registration were eliminated, turnout would increase by 6.1%. Other changes—notably, in the number of hours registration sites stayed open—would increase the impact of registration to 9%. However, an electorate expanded by liberalizing these rules would not look much different from the one they currently observed.
These are consistent with what I've seen before.

As the second one mentions, the effect of eliminating registration in terms of the composition of the electorate is fairly small though -- probably less than a 1% shift in the Republicans favor. That's still important in a country where most elections where the winner takes 50-60% of the two-party vote, but it gets overstated.

When those articles state that voter turnout would increase by six percent, that's ambiguous. Do they mean it would go from 40% to 46%, or from 40% to 42.4%?

When those articles state that voter turnout would increase by six percent, that's ambiguous. Do they mean it would go from 40% to 46%, or from 40% to 42.4%?
I believe it's the former -- my memory from past reading is that those numbers refer to overall turnout (rather than using current turnout as the denominator). But I didn't look for (or see) anything in the blurbs I dug up that said so. So I wouldn't bet my house on it.

ETA: "estimated to raise voter participation rates by 5 to 10 percentage points" suggests that I'm remembering correctly. That's less ambiguous than "five to ten percent".

proninja said:
Maurile Tremblay said:

Its just, I think, sad when a political party my political party has so lost faith in its ideas that its pouring all of its energy into election mechanics. And again, Im a guy who understands and appreciates what we should be doing in order to make sure every vote counts, every vote is legitimate.

We need more politicians like this :thumbup:
The Republican Party would also have far more appeal to many (myself included) if there were more thinking along these lines.
So...just to be clear...when the GOP starts thinking like Democrats then they will have more appeal to you? Why not just continue to vote for Democrats?
Seriously? Focusing on ideas rather than disenfranchising voters makes someone not a republican to you? This is the reason your party never does anything constructive. The few who are honest and interested in maintaining some degree of integrity and leadership are drummed out by people like you. Everyone knows "voter fraud" is just a boogeyman excuse for laws meant to disenfranchise minorities and the poor who tend to vote democrat. It's the most obvious of all the GOP lies.

Trips where? Federal law requires states to allow you to register by mail. Your urgency issue is a non-starter. People are taught about elections and voting starting in grade school. And the media starts talking about elections well in advance of voting day. Illinois is a pretty liberal state and it requires 30 days advance registration. If it was as significant as you are stating, it would have been changed by now.
I saw a similar point made when NC reduced its early voting period from 17 to 10 days; someone pointed out that New York doesn't even allow early voting, as a way of arguing that the changes in NC weren't a big deal. To my mind, though, there's a difference between a state (like New York) never allowing early voting or something similar, and a state (like NC) rolling back its previous allowances. It's harder, IMO, to come up with a justification for laws that do make it harder to some degree to vote without any corresponding evidence of voter fraud or any real need for the legislation.

proninja said:
Maurile Tremblay said:

Its just, I think, sad when a political party my political party has so lost faith in its ideas that its pouring all of its energy into election mechanics. And again, Im a guy who understands and appreciates what we should be doing in order to make sure every vote counts, every vote is legitimate.

We need more politicians like this :thumbup:
The Republican Party would also have far more appeal to many (myself included) if there were more thinking along these lines.
So...just to be clear...when the GOP starts thinking like Democrats then they will have more appeal to you? Why not just continue to vote for Democrats?
Seriously? Focusing on ideas rather than disenfranchising voters makes someone not a republican to you? This is the reason your party never does anything constructive. The few who are honest and interested in maintaining some degree of integrity and leadership are drummed out by people like you. Everyone knows "voter fraud" is just a boogeyman excuse for laws meant to disenfranchise minorities and the poor who tend to vote democrat. It's the most obvious of all the GOP lies.
:bs:

That's what the left thinks. You don't speak for everyone. We realize the left hates everything on the right and is going to "drama-queen" every GOP proposal to the Nth degree. Kind of like the "War on Women" crap they pulled during the last election too.

If it was as significant as you are stating, it would have been changed by now.
I hope you make better arguments in court. Maybe with some, you know, citations and stuff.

Studies of turnout across states find that states with later registration dates orelection day registration have much higher turnout rates. Eliminating registration barriers altogether is estimated to raise voter participation rates by 5 to 10 percentage points.
In 1978 Rosenstone and Wolfinger reported that an early closing date for registration had the most powerful effect on turnout. They estimate that if the closing date for registration were eliminated, turnout would increase by 6.1%. Other changes—notably, in the number of hours registration sites stayed open—would increase the impact of registration to 9%. However, an electorate expanded by liberalizing these rules would not look much different from the one they currently observed.
These are consistent with what I've seen before.

As the second one mentions, the effect of eliminating registration in terms of the composition of the electorate is fairly small though -- probably less than a 1% shift in the Republicans favor. That's still important in a country where most elections where the winner takes 50-60% of the two-party vote, but it gets overstated.
As I said, if a liberal state like Illinois considered it significant it would have been changed by now.

Users who are viewing this thread