Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NFL-ons

What happens to the $$$ the NFL collects in fines?

4 posts in this topic

Seeing how players are no longer allowed to tackle in the NFL, I began to wonder what happens to all the money that is collected in fines. It would be great if they allowed the players to select a charity they wanted the $$$ to go to. Joey Porter could be like "Yeah, my neighborhood charity wanted to build a new park, so I made a couple tackles this week." Or Matt Jones could say "I wanted to donate a couple bucks to the treatment program I am going to attend so I did ... I mean cut up a couple lines." Jared Allen's $50K could go to the beleaguered fantasy addict fund.

I certainly hope Goodell does not receive them in a bonus. Although ... that certainly might explain some things.

For real: Does anyone know where this small fortune goes?

In spirit, I see where you are coming from with the whole "choose where the money goes" but in reality, you can't offer incentive for a player to do something against the rules.

"Hmm, my charity's school needs a roof...I'm going to go take off a quarterback's head!"

That said, I don't know where the money goes...

Personally, I think it should go to a fund benefiting injured players.

NFL spokesman Greg Aiello tells us that the letters sent to players who have been fined contain the following language: “Player fines collected by the league are used to support the NFLPA Players Assistance Trust and charitable initiatives supporting youth, education and sports-related medical research.”

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/10/10/...o-the-fines-go/