What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What's the Best Electric Shaver for $100-150? (1 Viewer)

scottybo

Footballguy
Looking for a Braun as my Norelco is wearing out and not shaving as close as it once did.

Any suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator:
A lot less but I believe Consumer Reports rated the Panasonic Microscreen 500 MS2-390 as one of the 'CR Best Buys' for $60. I do not have access to their site or I would give you their top performer that was in that$100-150 price range if memory serves me correctly.

Please update if you make a purchase and find something worthwhile.

Master Gators said:
A lot less but I believe Consumer Reports rated the Panasonic Microscreen 500 MS2-390 as one of the 'CR Best Buys' for $60. I do not have access to their site or I would give you their top performer that was in that$100-150 price range if memory serves me correctly.Please update if you make a purchase and find something worthwhile.
Will do. Tired of buying these $50-70 Norelco's and having to re-invest after a year or two.

Master Gators said:
A lot less but I believe Consumer Reports rated the Panasonic Microscreen 500 MS2-390 as one of the 'CR Best Buys' for $60. I do not have access to their site or I would give you their top performer that was in that$100-150 price range if memory serves me correctly.Please update if you make a purchase and find something worthwhile.
Will do. Tired of buying these $50-70 Norelco's and having to re-invest after a year or two.
Go for a higher end Norelco and it will last much longer. I have had 2 electrics in the past 13 years, both Norelcos. Granted, you may pay closer to $200 for their top end models, but its well worth as they last between 5-7 years. And i guess it depends on your skin/beard type, but my Norelco shaves about as close as any razor i've ever used, electric or otherwise

I was coming to recommend a Braun in that range, I've had my current one for about 6 years. I've changed the screen on it twice I think. For me, it works much better than the Norelco or the Rimington I used to use.

The shave is close, but of course not as close as a blade. It also doesn't irritate my skin like a blade does, and that's the tradeoff I'm willing to accept.

The one I have is similar to this: 8000 series

GF bought me the Braun 8985 for Christmas and I'll NEVER go back to Norelco ever again. Braun kicks ###. It lives up to the hype of being nearly as good as manual razors; but the ease of use, cleanliness and closeness make it better to me.

GF bought me the Braun 8985 for Christmas and I'll NEVER go back to Norelco ever again. Braun kicks ###. It lives up to the hype of being nearly as good as manual razors; but the ease of use, cleanliness and closeness make it better to me.
Braun is definitely the way to go.Since you can replace the screen, theyre pretty much immortal.I think I got their first electric model that was a self cleaner. Ive had it 5 years and is just like new

Ozymandias said:
bshell27 said:
For shaving it does not get any better than this,

http://www.vintagebladesllc.com/vshop/xcar...=143&page=1

This is the exact set that i have and nothing shaves closer, there is an adjustment period to this (you are not a real man until you touch a styptic pencil to your face), but it is a GREAT shave!
Right. And the Egyptians used sea shells.
If you have the time, try it. It is the best shave I have ever had. I have very sensitive skin, electric or whatever 3 or 4 blade shaver left bad razor burn. Safety razor has been the best bet for me. Sure it takes a little longer, but a much better shave. I have found it reduces my time between shaves as well; which probably is a good reason as to why I am not razor burned. Shaving every day with modern razors is not good for the skin. With the safety razor I go 1st cut WITH the grain and a 2nd cut against. Maybe I should not go against the grain on the 2nd pass but it does not irritate so I do it for good measure. Like I said though do not knock it until you try it. Blades cost way less than today's disposable too!

Braun all day, everyday.

Nothing would stop that thing...it was amazing. Only thing to finally stop it was theft. Someone stole it from my car one day.

I spent over a hundred on some various cool looking Braun 10 or so years ago and it couldn't get the job done, especially on my neck.

I saw a good deal on a Panasonic Wet/Dry on amazon, and with some christmas money I got it, telling myself that if it didn't work good I would never try an electric again.

Panasonic Arc IV

I have used it for a week and I don't think I will be going back to blades. Its really good! I highly recommend it.

I spent over a hundred on some various cool looking Braun 10 or so years ago and it couldn't get the job done, especially on my neck.

I saw a good deal on a Panasonic Wet/Dry on amazon, and with some christmas money I got it, telling myself that if it didn't work good I would never try an electric again.

Panasonic Arc IV

I have used it for a week and I don't think I will be going back to blades. Its really good! I highly recommend it.
Any update on this razor or others who have used it? I'm thinking of giving it a try.

Any updates on this?? My Norelco is dying after 7 years and I'm looking for my best option. Thoughts...
Had my Braun nearly a year and am still happy with it. I'll never go back to the Norelcos. Still shaves pretty close, though I'm having trouble getting the shaver to sit right in the charger base so it will charge and clean. That's the only drawback I've noticed.Get one, you won't be disappointed...it's worth it.

Any updates on this?? My Norelco is dying after 7 years and I'm looking for my best option.

Thoughts...
Had my Braun nearly a year and am still happy with it. I'll never go back to the Norelcos. Still shaves pretty close, though I'm having trouble getting the shaver to sit right in the charger base so it will charge and clean. That's the only drawback I've noticed.Get one, you won't be disappointed...it's worth it.
Which One did you get? I'm looking at the 3-370. I can get it for 100http://www.amazon.com/Braun-3-370cc-Mens-S...m/dp/B001VEK1C6

I have never, ever...ever found ANY electric that shaves even remotely close as a blade.I HATE shaving and sure wish one existed.
I've had an electric razor for something like 10-20 years and it shaves as close as a blade. :lmao: I always assume that people who claim they don't simply lack skill in using them.

I'll throw my vote in for a Braun 8000 series as well. :thumbsup:

I got one for x-mas about 5 years ago to replace an old Norelco. The Norelco was crap after 2 years. The battery wouldn't hold a charge long enough for a week trip, and it took FOREVER to get a good shave. I went through 3 in ~6 years. 2 were mid-top of the line, one was a basic.

My Braun is still going strong. Can last probably a month without needing a charge, and has a battery meter so it won't surprise me and die. The self-clean feature is awesome too, although I don't think it needs to be run as often as it suggests. The cleaning fluid is cheap too, and can be found at Wal-Mart. I have a medium-thick beard, and shave almost daily with it. I use a Mach-3 on Monday, and then the Braun Tues-Thurs. I typically go scruffy on Friday, and shave as needed on the weekend.

I have never, ever...ever found ANY electric that shaves even remotely close as a blade.I HATE shaving and sure wish one existed.
I've had an electric razor for something like 10-20 years and it shaves as close as a blade. :thumbdown: I always assume that people who claim they don't simply lack skill in using them.
That's a quality assumption right there. Electric razors can be tricky to figure out.

I've had an electric razor for something like 10-20 years and it shaves as close as a blade. :lmao: I always assume that people who claim they don't simply lack skill in using them.
That's a quality assumption right there. Electric razors can be tricky to figure out.
I can't tell the difference right after I shave, but around now, say 4:00, I can. I can't really feel anything with a blade shave, but the electric shave starts to feel a little prickly. My guess is that a blade shaves ~6-8 hours more hair than the electric...based on my personal growth speed. That said, my Braun does require a much different motion than my Norelco to work effectively. My Norelco required circular motions. In general, the Braun is up/down against the grain of the hair.

I bought a Panasonic ProCurve a few months ago and it works great. :excited:

I used to use a Remington, but they have lousy battery life. After it died, I bought a Braun Series 3, but returned it after 2 days. It was horrible. :lmao:

THIS looks like a great deal for a sub-$100 Panasonic. I have been using Brauns for 20 years (started shaving when I was 6) and am finally ready to try something new.

Summer Wheat said:
You can buy a new head for Norelcos at CVS or Rite Aids for around 30-35 dollars. Shaver will work like new.
I did this previously with the $80-90 Norelco's and this did not happen at all. 3 different one's seemed to just slow down over time.

Also, after a year and half, I'm still happy with the Braun and haven't had to change the heads yet. I generally use it 5 times a week and clean it once a week in the self-cleaner base and have had to buy new cleaning solution twice (they are 2-packs) for around $9 each. Will NEeeEEeEEVer go back to Norelco.

My wife bought me the Braun Pulsonic 9585 for X-mas in December. I already need to take it in to be serviced (and nearest service center is about 50 miles away) -- as soon as I hit the cleaning button, the shaver's vibrations causes it to lose connection with the base and it stops cleaning. So, I basically need to hold it in place for the cleaner to work. Avoid.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread