What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Whale Wars (1 Viewer)

sartre

Footballguy
So I was flipping throught the HD channels the other day and stopped on Animal Planet, where they were filming these eco-warriors trying to board a Japanese whaling vessel. I ended up watching 2 full hours.

You have the starry-eyed, brazen group of individuals that also happen to be quite incompetent, trying to stay alive on a boat off the coast of Antartica while furthering their cause by deliberately creating international incidents. This has to be the most interesting reality drama on TV right now.

i started to watch it, my wife talked me off the ledge. she tells me i already watch enough nerdy HD shows.

I'm not so sure.

I watched a pretty good chunk and found it interesting. But they sure do stretch it out. Obviously, tivo is your friend here.

I also got that survivorman feel as they were over-dramatizing everthing.

I wonder how much good they really are doing. Think of the money it takes to chase those guys down, not to mention the pollutants the chase ship dumps into the water.

Anyone with more details on this type of stuff?

I caught an episode where they went on a night raid... and got lost. Hippies make the worst pirates.

Some of the techniques are kind of cool. Dropping rope in front of the boat to foul the propellers. Throwing chemicals onto the deck to make it slippery.

But what gets me is that they jump onto this ship and are then detained but then they claim they were kidnapped.

I caught an episode where they went on a night raid... and got lost. Hippies make the worst pirates.
The first mate, who was in charge because the captain did not want his nap disturbed, was completely unable to lead. Meanwhile, they decide to carry out that raid while they have a deadline to meet another ship to pick up their 'kidnapped' shipmates. Then they lose contact with the raiding boat and have to send a distress call to the whaling ship they are trying to foul up. The ineptitude all around was astonishing.

I wonder how much good they really are doing. Think of the money it takes to chase those guys down, not to mention the pollutants the chase ship dumps into the water.
It seems their primary goal is to draw attention to their cause. Publicity at whatever cost, in other words. So in that sense, they must feel successful in that they have a prime time television show.

This leads me to a question I was tossing around to a buddy of mine...

1- Would you kill an Orca with a hand gun for 1 million dollars...?

2- Do you think you can kill an orca with a 9mm and 12 bullets, the whale is in a pen...?

I'll hang up and listen...

I can't get over their incompetence. The first mate in particular is completely clueless and has this very 60s mentality that just irks me. That whole, "Stick it to the man, maan" attitude.

It seems their primary goal is to draw attention to their cause. Publicity at whatever cost, in other words. So in that sense, they must feel successful in that they have a prime time television show.
:popcorn:

I can't get over their incompetence. The first mate in particular is completely clueless and has this very 60s mentality that just irks me. That whole, "Stick it to the man, maan" attitude.
I should say that despite this, I'm glad they are out there doing that. The Japanese and their whaling practices are despicable.

LOL @ this show, I caught another episode over the holiday. The hippie pirates "attack" whaling boats with stink bombs. Silly hippies.

This leads me to a question I was tossing around to a buddy of mine...1- Would you kill an Orca with a hand gun for 1 million dollars...?2- Do you think you can kill an orca with a 9mm and 12 bullets, the whale is in a pen...?I'll hang up and listen.........
YesYesI love animals, but there are plenty of Orcas (obviously enough to keep them in captivity jumping through hoops instead of breeding)

:bye:
I should say that despite this, I'm glad they are out there doing that. The Japanese and their whaling practices are despicable.
:coffee:

I watched an episode of this for the first time over the weekend. I found it very interesting and will definitely watch again. It was kind of funny how unorganized they were and when the team got lost in the night raid. Obviously not much planning went in to it.

TLEF316 said:
This leads me to a question I was tossing around to a buddy of mine...1- Would you kill an Orca with a hand gun for 1 million dollars...?2- Do you think you can kill an orca with a 9mm and 12 bullets, the whale is in a pen...?I'll hang up and listen.........
YesYesI love animals, but there are plenty of Orcas (obviously enough to keep them in captivity jumping through hoops instead of breeding)
:goodposting: I disagree on number 2...

On Fridays they run these episodes in batches, so I DVR'ed them and finally caught up. I reiterate that this is compelling TV. Most of what we've talked about here so far has been in episodes 2 & 3. Episode 1 reveals a few things:

mytagid = Math.floor( Math.random() * 100 );document.write("

Much of the crew of 34 are rookies. Many of them end up seasick soon after leaving port.
During a drill to lower the Delta in the water, the first mate errs which results in the boat overturning and 4 crew members falling into the icy waters. Wilfred, ignoring orders, fires the rocket line and saves them. The consensus of everyone on the boat is that the first mate is completely incompetent and is only there because he is close friend to Captain Paul.
Pottsy was recruited as a cook but immediately is promoted to helicopter deck chief(!) despite no experience. (He later is promoted again to Japanese Whaler-boarder.)
In a teaser at the very beginning of the show, they show the Steve Irwin running along side one of the Whaling ships. The whaling ship is blaring a warning for them to move away. As our heroes ignore the warning and toss their stink bombs, military(?) figures on the whaling ship return fire with flash grenades! There's a clip of the crew scrambling and someone screaming "the Captain has been shot!"*** SPOILER ALERT! Click this link to display the potential spoiler text in this box. ***");document.close();

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw a preview for it. I think the whalers ought to sink their boat. Now that is TV I would watch.
That's entertaining tv, watching hippies run from seasoned sailors. While I'm not big on whaling, let the Japanese do what they do, and don't eat any of it.

Paul Wilson is my hero. He is more cult leader than captain.

I've been having a buddy come over to watch this show with me. Funny after bonging a 6pack

lol - I saw another one this weekend. Apparently half the hippie pirates quit, and the un-"trained" replacement hippie pirates kept injuring themselves and screwing up "missions" :)

This show is pure comedy gold.

GB saving whales though.

I saw the commercial for this, but I haven't seen the show. What exactly do they do? Do they just try and make it hard for the Japanese hunters to kill whales?

Saw this for the first time this weekend. :lmao:

Lots of talk in here about the ineptness of the 1st mate - who we talking about? The nerdy guy with long hair and glasses? If so I will say this about him - good for him for pulling the tail he's pulling. She's no knockout but she's a 10 on the scale of what a nerdy guy like him could ever dream of bagging.

I saw the commercial for this, but I haven't seen the show. What exactly do they do? Do they just try and make it hard for the Japanese hunters to kill whales?
So far they've pretty much just thrown stink bombs at the whaling ships :lmao:

caught a few minutes of the this show yesterday afternoon. they were being followed by a japanese ship that was reporting their position to the whaling fleet. they needed to ditch this ship and decided to come to a complete stop in an iceberg floe. they freely admit to devising this strategy from "star wars". sure enough, the japanese ship passes right by them...

The Japanese whaling fleet consists of six vessels only -- three are harpoon ships, one is a supply ship, and I think the other two are for processing the whale meat. Anyway, so far the conflicts have been with one of the harpoon ships. The hippies employ two basic weapons -- prop foulers and butyric (sp?) acid. The prop foulers are long ropes with buoys on either end. They launch a small but quick boat from the main ship (the Sea Shepherd) to run in front of the whaling ship and lay the prop fouler in its path. The idea is that it will tangle in the propeller of the whaling ship and temporarily disable it. Presumably this has worked in the past, but it doesn't work at all in the episodes that are taped.Butyric acid is supposedly very slippery and very malodorous. By throwing bottles of it onto the whaling ship, they submit the crew to terrible odors (stinkbombs) but also potentially make the deck too slippery to work on. Also, they mention that it may contaminate any whale meat that it touches. The hippies have since escalated their attacks to include boardings (to serve 'warrants'), which to them is probably most useful because of the publicity it generates. In this sense I think they consider their cameras as weapons.When the Japanese whaling ships see these guys coming, they make every effort to evade. So the Sea Shepherd staff considers their efforts useful as it reduces the amount of time the Japanese have to hunt whales. I am surprised that we haven't seen the Japanese take more effective coutnermeasures. We've only seen them point high-powered water hoses at the hippies. But the season finale is this Friday, and the teaser shows the Japanese hurling flash grenades at the Sea Shepherd, so I think we're in for a real treat.

The Japanese whaling fleet consists of six vessels only -- three are harpoon ships, one is a supply ship, and I think the other two are for processing the whale meat. Anyway, so far the conflicts have been with one of the harpoon ships. The hippies employ two basic weapons -- prop foulers and butyric (sp?) acid. The prop foulers are long ropes with buoys on either end. They launch a small but quick boat from the main ship (the Sea Shepherd) to run in front of the whaling ship and lay the prop fouler in its path. The idea is that it will tangle in the propeller of the whaling ship and temporarily disable it. Presumably this has worked in the past, but it doesn't work at all in the episodes that are taped.Butyric acid is supposedly very slippery and very malodorous. By throwing bottles of it onto the whaling ship, they submit the crew to terrible odors (stinkbombs) but also potentially make the deck too slippery to work on. Also, they mention that it may contaminate any whale meat that it touches. The hippies have since escalated their attacks to include boardings (to serve 'warrants'), which to them is probably most useful because of the publicity it generates. In this sense I think they consider their cameras as weapons.When the Japanese whaling ships see these guys coming, they make every effort to evade. So the Sea Shepherd staff considers their efforts useful as it reduces the amount of time the Japanese have to hunt whales. I am surprised that we haven't seen the Japanese take more effective coutnermeasures. We've only seen them point high-powered water hoses at the hippies. But the season finale is this Friday, and the teaser shows the Japanese hurling flash grenades at the Sea Shepherd, so I think we're in for a real treat.
If the Japs were playing for keeps, they'd hurl soap made from whale fat at the hippies. That would pretty much be the hippies' worst nightmare.

Why Me? said:
Saw this for the first time this weekend. :thumbup: Lots of talk in here about the ineptness of the 1st mate - who we talking about? The nerdy guy with long hair and glasses? If so I will say this about him - good for him for pulling the tail he's pulling. She's no knockout but she's a 10 on the scale of what a nerdy guy like him could ever dream of bagging.
Captain is Paul WatsonFirst Mate is Peter Brown -- long haired hippie with glasses that is longtime friend of the captain, whose incompetence is downright dangerous.2nd Mate is Peter Hammerstedt(sp?) -- I think this is the guy you are referring to, and I agree, I was very amazed at the tail he was able to get. He's not nearly as inept as the others. It is funny though how seriously he takes his position, as if he is preparing one day to run his own hippie anti-whaling ship.

QUEZILLA said:
Apparently their mission is to provide comic relief to the Japanese Whaling Fleet during their long time out to sea.

I see no reason to continue whaling. Harvesting threatened species for food offends me.

I generally like hippies. Some might say i was one. I have seen over 200 Dead shows and ran an Eco tour company down in Chiapas back in the 80's.

These Sea Shepherds are an embarassment. They are so massively incompetent that it completely overshadows their message. These are not hippies. Hippies invented tie die, ultimate frisbee, and internet music sharing. Hippies are not incompetents, just gentle. No these mush brained idiots are not hippies, they are a product of the schooling and parenting provided by the hippies abdicating authority to the #######s of their generation while the hippies did other things.

Last edited by a moderator:
Finally DVR'd and caught up on all these episodes and as others have mentioned, the incompetence onboard their ship is mind-boggling. As in, can't-believe-someone-hasn't-yet-died mind-boggling. It doesn't seem like they disrupt the whalers much at all and judging by the costs to operate a ship like that at sea for weeks at a time I'm sure their operation is a huge money suck as well. Regardless, I'll be DVR'ing the season finale this Friday in the hopes that the captain actually does get shot (he's a real arrogant piece of work if you haven't seen this show) as the previews indicated.

the captain talks like these people should be suicide bombers for the whales. Those japs should have tossed those hippies right in the water.

the captain talks like these people should be suicide bombers for the whales.
And yet it's remarkable what a coward he is. If anyone caught the episode where they first noticed the spy ship, there was talk of a plan to surreptitiously board that ship and cut its communication lines. Now the probability that the hippies could actual pull off a "mission impossible" caliber operation notwithstanding, the captain leaves the staff to make this decision. I'm guessing he figured they would be going out of bounds and he didn't want to be culpable. So he says he'll leave it up to the staff; the staff consensus is that it is too dangerous, and could backfire in the publicity department. He gets disgusted with them and continues to goad them and question their commitment until they finally go ahead with the plan. But he refuses to order it.Fortunately for them, the crane breaks and the action is called off.

the captain talks like these people should be suicide bombers for the whales.
And yet it's remarkable what a coward he is. If anyone caught the episode where they first noticed the spy ship, there was talk of a plan to surreptitiously board that ship and cut its communication lines. Now the probability that the hippies could actual pull off a "mission impossible" caliber operation notwithstanding, the captain leaves the staff to make this decision. I'm guessing he figured they would be going out of bounds and he didn't want to be culpable. So he says he'll leave it up to the staff; the staff consensus is that it is too dangerous, and could backfire in the publicity department. He gets disgusted with them and continues to goad them and question their commitment until they finally go ahead with the plan. But he refuses to order it.Fortunately for them, the crane breaks and the action is called off.
"We're gonna need a bigger boat."/whales

Users who are viewing this thread