Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kaso

Second Dog?

We currently have an 11 month old male boxer. Great dog, and fantastic companion. He is very smart and quickly picks up commands that we teach him. He is a very active dog and has a TON of energy. We made sure to socialize him with other dogs from the day we brought him home.

My fiance has been talking getting a second dog. Her argument is that it would be good for our current dog to have a friend to play with and help wear him out.

I am not sold on the idea. While I am all for giving our current dog the best life a dog can hope for, I am not sure I want to take on the work of another dog...

So for you guys out there with more then one dog - what do you say? Worth the extra effort? Do you have the same bread of dog? Any problems/issues that I am not aware of as a single dog owner?

Turns out there is a litter of boxers available from the same parents as our dog. So we have the chance to bring home a step-brother. I am fairly confident the temperment would be same in the next dog if we went this route - which would be a good thing.

Dogs are usually happier when they have a bud. Older dogs also really benefit from having a younger dog around. I can't tell you how many times I've seen an old dog that no one thought would last much longer get rejuvenated by a younger dog and go for years.

I am looking for a second dog now and my guy is 9. That seems about right but if you can actively care and manage two now, I don't see the problem. I'd probably have 3 or 4 if I could.

Dogs are usually happier when they have a bud. Older dogs also really benefit from having a younger dog around. I can't tell you how many times I've seen an old dog that no one thought would last much longer get rejuvenated by a younger dog and go for years.

:( We've always been a two dog family. Personally, if you are getting another puppy, I'd wait a few years until dog #1 starts to settle down.

:(

We've always been a two dog family. Personally, if you are getting another puppy, I'd wait a few years until dog #1 starts to settle down.

This is probably my biggest concern right now. At the moment Cooper (our current dog) is about as active as I have ever seen a dog. He has more energy then I could have ever guessed a dog could have.

On the flip side it is easy to see how much he enjoys the company of other dogs...

Great name. Our weimaraner was named Cooper.

You might consider adopting an older rescue/pound dog? Two pups at the same time is certainly do-able, but yes, it's a handful.

Great name. Our weimaraner was named Cooper. You might consider adopting an older rescue/pound dog?

I have thought about that quite a bit. The dog my parents had when I lived at home was a rescue dog. I think if I was to bring home another dog at this time I would want to see it's parents and know more about it then a rescue shelter could tell me. Don't get me wrong, I think 'saving' a dog is a great way to go and a fantastic thing to do. But with one at home already I would want to make sure I had a good idea of what I was introducing to our house hold. (I am supporter of our local humane society and have adopted from there in the past.)

Match your second dog's energy level with Cooper's as closely as possible.

If you're adopting from a shelter, ask if you may bring Cooper to meet his potential new housemate before finalizing the adoption.

For the first few weeks after you bring the new dog home, feed Cooper before his new buddy, let him out first, etc. so his status in your "pack" isn't threatened.

I can echo this statement. My 9 year old Sheltie was starting to show her age (little things, e.g. not jumping up on the bed at nighttime by herself, not playing as long). We got a Keyshound pup a little over a year ago and the Sheltie matches her step for step.

A year apart is good.

We discussed it a bit more tonight once we were both home from work. I think we will be waiting until next summer at the very least. It would be great to bring home a 'family' member for Cooper - since the mother and father are the same for the litter that is ready right now, but at the same time we are looking at a very busy 4-5 months. Probably not the best time to introduce another dog to the mix. Thanks for all the advice/feedback! :hey:

I always thought two dogs was that sweet spot. It's good because two is not that much harder than one. You're already in the deep end and the second dog doesn't add much more work than you are already doing.

The only concerns are space and bills (vet and extra food), but a second dog would be good for your dog and I am likely to bet, your home.

I have one dog now who is still a pup (2 years) and have been juggling too much to get the second, but definitely plan on it.

A year apart is good.

We discussed it a bit more tonight once we were both home from work. I think we will be waiting until next summer at the very least. It would be great to bring home a 'family' member for Cooper - since the mother and father are the same for the litter that is ready right now, but at the same time we are looking at a very busy 4-5 months. Probably not the best time to introduce another dog to the mix. Thanks for all the advice/feedback! :thumbup:
Ha. Funny. Some girl I know has a boxer named cooper.

We got a 6 month old puuppy when our older dog was three. No regrets at all. The work of having a second dog is only negligibly more.

Go for it. Ours play like mad, still, and our older one is 8 and a half now.

The wife and I have a Yorkie that's almost 6 years old and have been thinking about getting another one. I've never had more than one; the problem is I don't want to change the relationship that we have with the dog. He's absolutely awesome and I don't want to compromise that. Will a second dog cause jealousy issues and/or make the first dog spiteful? Because he's a bit on the spiteful side as it is.

The wife and I have a Yorkie that's almost 6 years old and have been thinking about getting another one. I've never had more than one; the problem is I don't want to change the relationship that we have with the dog. He's absolutely awesome and I don't want to compromise that. Will a second dog cause jealousy issues and/or make the first dog spiteful? Because he's a bit on the spiteful side as it is.

This was a concern for us as well. I think a lot of it comes down to personality/temperment of the dog and how you handle the situation as the owners.