What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Players Sitting In Week 17? (1 Viewer)

zamboni

Footballguy
While most leagues are done after tonight, there are some that play through week 17. Many may not care, but what are the thoughts as to relevant players that may be sitting in week 17 for at least a good part of the game?

In the AFC, Tennessee, Pittsburgh and Indy have their playoff spots wrapped up - obviously there's already been talk of Indy sitting some starters.

Possible shut-downs: Chris Johnson, White, Gage, Scaife, Roethlisberger, Ward, Holmes, Miller, Manning, Wayne, Addai, Clark.

In the NFC, you have the Giants and Arizona.

Possible shut-downs: Jacobs, Ward, Warner, Fitz, Boldin.

Any others?

Last edited by a moderator:
Other teams to think about are Atlanta and/or Carolina if either gets a huge early insurmountable lead.

Teams with something left to play for (i.e will likely battle for 4 quarters), and their typical fantasy contributors...

NE: cassel, moss, welker, sammy morris(?)

BUF: lynch, evans...have chance to play spoiler at home vs. longtime division bully?

NYJ: favre, tjones, coles, cotch, keller..though calling favre & WRs "contributors" is pushing it

MIA: pennington, ginn, ronnie/ricky (though ronnie is #### and did NOT deserve a pro bowl bid)

PHI: mcnabb, westy, desean, curtis (if healthy)

DAL: romo, TO, barber/choice, witten

BAL: derrick mason

SD: rivers, LT (blech), vjax, gates

DEN: cutler, marshall, royal, scheffler (?), bell(?)

TB: garcia, bryant, dunn(?)...i think TB is still mathematically in playoff hunt, no?

NO: brees (playing for marino record), pierre, colston...moore (though he's cooled off)

any others i'm forgetting...?

As a guy in a week 17 championship who owns Fitz, Boldin, and CJ3, I'd love to also hear about guys who will be replacing the starters mentioned above.

for example, in TEN does White get most of the carries or will Ganther/Henry get the carries in order to rest both Johnson and White?

Any "sleeper" backups would be great since half my starting line-up won't be playing next sunday.

Teams with something left to play for (i.e will likely battle for 4 quarters), and their typical fantasy contributors...NE: cassel, moss, welker, sammy morris(?)BUF: lynch, evans...have chance to play spoiler at home vs. longtime division bully?NYJ: favre, tjones, coles, cotch, keller..though calling favre & WRs "contributors" is pushing itMIA: pennington, ginn, ronnie/ricky (though ronnie is #### and did NOT deserve a pro bowl bid)PHI: mcnabb, westy, desean, curtis (if healthy)DAL: romo, TO, barber/choice, wittenBAL: derrick masonSD: rivers, LT (blech), vjax, gatesDEN: cutler, marshall, royal, scheffler (?), bell(?)TB: garcia, bryant, dunn(?)...i think TB is still mathematically in playoff hunt, no?NO: brees (playing for marino record), pierre, colston...moore (though he's cooled off)any others i'm forgetting...?
Good list - although, as noted above, I think you can include Atlanta and Carolina in there - that is, if both games are within striking distance. Carolina needs to win to get the division, and if they lose and Atlanta wins, the Falcons get the division.

Teams with something left to play for (i.e will likely battle for 4 quarters), and their typical fantasy contributors...NE: cassel, moss, welker, sammy morris(?)BUF: lynch, evans...have chance to play spoiler at home vs. longtime division bully?NYJ: favre, tjones, coles, cotch, keller..though calling favre & WRs "contributors" is pushing itMIA: pennington, ginn, ronnie/ricky (though ronnie is #### and did NOT deserve a pro bowl bid)PHI: mcnabb, westy, desean, curtis (if healthy)DAL: romo, TO, barber/choice, wittenBAL: derrick masonSD: rivers, LT (blech), vjax, gatesDEN: cutler, marshall, royal, scheffler (?), bell(?)TB: garcia, bryant, dunn(?)...i think TB is still mathematically in playoff hunt, no?NO: brees (playing for marino record), pierre, colston...moore (though he's cooled off)any others i'm forgetting...?
Good list - although, as noted above, I think you can include Atlanta and Carolina in there - that is, if both games are within striking distance. Carolina needs to win to get the division, and if they lose and Atlanta wins, the Falcons get the division.
I agree on the Falcons. I'm in a total points league and I picked up the Falcons D to play week 17 against the Rams.

Great thread! Perhaps add a list of players who may sit because of slight injuries or what I'm hearing as Coaches decision:

1) Calvin Johnson (why risk the best player to injury)

Great thread! Perhaps add a list of players who may sit because of slight injuries or what I'm hearing as Coaches decision:1) Calvin Johnson (why risk the best player to injury)
After tonight, possibly Forte if the Bears lose and are eliminated.

I agree on the Falcons. I'm in a total points league and I picked up the Falcons D to play week 17 against the Rams.
I was actually saying the opposite - that the Falcons could rest players in the second half if they are blowing out the Rams, or if Carolina is pounding the Saints.One would guess that it's more likely that the Falcons will be blowing out the Rams, particularly with the Saints' ability to put up points in lockstep with Brees' quest for Marino's record.

Cardinals coach Ken Whisenhunt strongly indicated Monday that he plans to play his starters in Week 17 against Seattle.

Whiz will "treat this as a playoff game, within reason" and says "we need some success" after being blown out 47-7 in Week 16 by the Patriots and 35-14 in Week 15 by the Vikings. The Cards can't improve their playoff seed, but getting walloped then resting players is no way to enter the postseason. Dec. 22 - 2:51 pm et

Great thread! Perhaps add a list of players who may sit because of slight injuries or what I'm hearing as Coaches decision:1) Calvin Johnson (why risk the best player to injury)
Why risk it? 0-16
Not too get sidetracked from the intent and purpose of this thread...but Calvin sat out a large percentage of this game because of a tweaked ankle. Why risk further injury to your best players. Going 0-16 or 1-15? Sure, the Lions will show up and "try" and win...but they are soooooo pathetic... Without Calvin the odds of a win are enormous. The bigger question is to know if he is playing or are the Lions content on regrouping and allowing Calvin to avoid further injury. It's not exactly like the Lions are in an urgent playoff hunt where you win and you're in...in which case you'd most likely see Calvin in intense rehab. Will he get the same kind of intense rehab to avoid a winless season? Right now it's all about the fantasy #'s. Too play or not too play that is the question. Who else falls into this category as the week evolves? Or who else will coaches let play in place of another...perhaps to give them some playing time and evaluation? I've observed some teams keep their starters in playing hard right until the very last second. What will our beloved Rod do?

Detroit Free Press 12/22/08:

Lions WR Johnson Suffers Bruised Knee, Will Play Week 17

Wide receiver Calvin Johnson also came out early in the fourth quarter. He had a bruised knee, but he said he was all right and would play Sunday at Green Bay.

New Orleans Times-Picayune 12/22/08:

Saints Will Play To Win In Week 17

New Orleans is playing to win the game at home against a very strong Carolina team in the midst of being a conference champ and #2 seed or playing as a wildcard team.

Washington Post 12/22/08:

Redskins Starters To Play Week 17

Washington Redskins HC Jim Zorn indicated Monday that he did plan on playing his younger players more in week 17 just because the team is out of playoff contention. "I'm not going to experiment," Zorn said, adding, "We can experiment during the preseason."

New York Daily News 12/22/08:

Giants HC Coughlin May Play Starters In Week 17

New York Giants HC Tom Coughlin sounded on Monday like a coach ready to play all his starters in Week 17 in Minnesota. "I disagree with the idea that you have nothing to gain," Coughlin said. "There's a lot to be gained. If you believe, as we do, you have to be playing your best football at this time of year, you certainly do have some things to build on." Coughlin stopped short of making anything official. "I'm taking all that into consideration and I'm not going to answer any questions about that stuff," he said

So, we are beginning to hear some of the football news for week #17.

KFFL) Jim Wyatt, of The Tennessean, reports Tennessee Titans head coach Jeff Fisher said he expects most of his healthy starters to play in the team's Week 17 game. He said he expects QB Vince Young to relieve QB Kerry Collins at some point.

i would like to see peyton manning pulled after the first quarter.

i'm curious to see how much guys like Chris Johnson play for the titains. Fisher has said he will play. So I will be stuck with him in my lineup. That's great if he gets at least a half. Sucks if he gets 2 series.

Anyone heard anything from the Steelers? I have James Farrior and I doubt he'll play.

i would like to see peyton manning pulled after the first quarter.i'm curious to see how much guys like Chris Johnson play for the titains. Fisher has said he will play. So I will be stuck with him in my lineup. That's great if he gets at least a half. Sucks if he gets 2 series. Anyone heard anything from the Steelers? I have James Farrior and I doubt he'll play.
Last year the Steelers started Batch at QB and a bunch of other backups.

Cardinals coach Ken Whisenhunt strongly indicated Monday that he plans to play his starters in Week 17 against Seattle.Whiz will "treat this as a playoff game, within reason" and says "we need some success" after being blown out 47-7 in Week 16 by the Patriots and 35-14 in Week 15 by the Vikings. The Cards can't improve their playoff seed, but getting walloped then resting players is no way to enter the postseason. Dec. 22 - 2:51 pm et
Good info - thanks. Looks like Warner/Fitz/Boldin (if healthy) may turn out to be good plays after all - contrary to thoughts that they'd be sitting starters.

Detroit Free Press 12/22/08:Lions WR Johnson Suffers Bruised Knee, Will Play Week 17Wide receiver Calvin Johnson also came out early in the fourth quarter. He had a bruised knee, but he said he was all right and would play Sunday at Green Bay.New Orleans Times-Picayune 12/22/08:Saints Will Play To Win In Week 17New Orleans is playing to win the game at home against a very strong Carolina team in the midst of being a conference champ and #2 seed or playing as a wildcard team.Washington Post 12/22/08:Redskins Starters To Play Week 17Washington Redskins HC Jim Zorn indicated Monday that he did plan on playing his younger players more in week 17 just because the team is out of playoff contention. "I'm not going to experiment," Zorn said, adding, "We can experiment during the preseason." New York Daily News 12/22/08:Giants HC Coughlin May Play Starters In Week 17New York Giants HC Tom Coughlin sounded on Monday like a coach ready to play all his starters in Week 17 in Minnesota. "I disagree with the idea that you have nothing to gain," Coughlin said. "There's a lot to be gained. If you believe, as we do, you have to be playing your best football at this time of year, you certainly do have some things to build on." Coughlin stopped short of making anything official. "I'm taking all that into consideration and I'm not going to answer any questions about that stuff," he saidSo, we are beginning to hear some of the football news for week #17.
Good stuff - keep it coming. :rolleyes:

Giants coach Tom Coughlin indicated Monday that he plans to play most of his starters in Week 17 against the Vikings.

Coughlin wants to keep his team focused and the Giants already have a bye during the first week of the playoffs. He's worried that a whole two weeks idle could throw off the team's rhythm. "If you believe, as we do, that you have to be playing your best football at this time of the year, you certainly do have some things to build on," Coughlin said, "particularly when you are not going to play for a couple of weeks." | 12/22/2008 8:26:00 PM

Source: Newark Star-Ledger

Generally speaking, it seems like many teams have learned from the Giants that resting players is not necessarily the way to go in order to remain sharp for the playoffs.

It seems like only Dungy has alluded to the possibility of resting starters in week 17 - which he has done in the past - although obviously things may change over the course of the week (and perhaps even during the games as the situation dictates).

Let's keep this thread going as information arrives...

I also edited the OP to exclude Minnesota, as the Bears' victory last night obviously keeps both teams very much needing to win.

Chris Johnson is a tricky situation. I am in a league that combines the scores of weeks 16 and 17 for the super bowl. I have CJ. I personally think Fish decides to sit Cj after just a few series. Of course, a few series against a 2nd string Colts defense could get him a ton of yards. Fisher doesn't want the team to lose that edge and he hates the Colts. I think he's going to try and win this game.

But CJ is the one guy that the Titans can't lose for the playoffs, and if he thinks he can win with Lendale getting 25 carries, he'll do it.

Lendale is a top 5 back for this week, imo.

Cardinals coach Ken Whisenhunt strongly indicated Monday that he plans to play his starters in Week 17 against Seattle.

Whiz will "treat this as a playoff game, within reason" and says "we need some success" after being blown out 47-7 in Week 16 by the Patriots and 35-14 in Week 15 by the Vikings. The Cards can't improve their playoff seed, but getting walloped then resting players is no way to enter the postseason. Dec. 22 - 2:51 pm et
A bit more on the Cardinals situation - Whisenhunt clearly wants to get this team on track - the big three of Warner/Fitz/Boldin (if healthy) may be playing more than we think:
Rest his starters for the playoffs? Back off a bit because the Cardinals already have clinched hosting a first-round playoff game? Not Cardinals coach Ken Whisenhunt.

After the loss to the Patriots, when asked about this week, he offered, "I think it's an important game for us, and I think that it needs to be a focus this week. There's no, 'The game doesn't mean anything,' or 'Get ready for the playoffs.' I don't think we can afford to go into the game with that attitude whatsoever."
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/football/393279_hawk23.htmlETA: perhaps Fitzgerald has a mini-milestone to shoot for with 100 receptions (he's at 91 now)

Chris Johnson is a tricky situation. I am in a league that combines the scores of weeks 16 and 17 for the super bowl. I have CJ. I personally think Fish decides to sit Cj after just a few series. Of course, a few series against a 2nd string Colts defense could get him a ton of yards. Fisher doesn't want the team to lose that edge and he hates the Colts. I think he's going to try and win this game.

But CJ is the one guy that the Titans can't lose for the playoffs, and if he thinks he can win with Lendale getting 25 carries, he'll do it.

Lendale is a top 5 back for this week, imo.
I really hope this comes true

:sehorn:

Any chance Marshawn Lynch gets shut down this week? I'm in a deep league and facing the prospect that Jacobs and Chris Johnson may sit out this week and am hoping that Fred Jackson is a viable starter.

So right now it looks like Tampa Bay, Minnesota, Chicago, Baltimore, NY Jets, Miami and New England are the gunning for it all teams, correct?

The talk here is that the Giants will play just like they did last year, but if anyone is questionable or gets close ot getting a bell rung they are getting pulled, and if the score gets lopsided either way they are probably getting pulled. I'm thinking that means Jacobs doesn't play very much, 1 sack gets Eli benched, and any minor injuries on the defense are protected because that pass rush needs to be healthy in two weeks. I could see the Giants playing all out for the first half and then you have to walk on eggshells for the second half depending on the score, injury factor, etc.

I guess it's a foregone conclusion that the Colts are worthless this week, huh?

Excellant thread. It should probably be pinned. As the week goes on I hope people chime in on backups that could be primed for a big week.

So right now it looks like Tampa Bay, Minnesota, Chicago, Baltimore, NY Jets, Miami and New England are the gunning for it all teams, correct?The talk here is that the Giants will play just like they did last year, but if anyone is questionable or gets close ot getting a bell rung they are getting pulled, and if the score gets lopsided either way they are probably getting pulled. I'm thinking that means Jacobs doesn't play very much, 1 sack gets Eli benched, and any minor injuries on the defense are protected because that pass rush needs to be healthy in two weeks. I could see the Giants playing all out for the first half and then you have to walk on eggshells for the second half depending on the score, injury factor, etc.I guess it's a foregone conclusion that the Colts are worthless this week, huh?
I think you have all the gunning for it all teams, plus to a lesser degree Atlanta and Carolina given their quest for the division title at #2 seed overall. But obviously the situation could change depending on respective scores.Looks like the only teams at least right now that will be sitting key players are the Colts and Steelers.

Not sure how the Falcons will handle it, and they do need to win against the Rams but that should be easy enough.

But Michael Turner is 166 yards behind A. Peterson for the rushing title. It may be a steep hill to climb but there's no reason Turner can't get 200+ if they give him enough opportunities. I think he'll get lots of chances early on and will have a couple of scores. If they have the game in hand in the 4th they may shut him down.

But if they knew they had the first round bye they might let him go for it.

Not sure how the Falcons will handle it, and they do need to win against the Rams but that should be easy enough.But Michael Turner is 166 yards behind A. Peterson for the rushing title. It may be a steep hill to climb but there's no reason Turner can't get 200+ if they give him enough opportunities. I think he'll get lots of chances early on and will have a couple of scores. If they have the game in hand in the 4th they may shut him down.But if they knew they had the first round bye they might let him go for it.
Catching Peterson is likely a pipe dream, as it's not like the Vikings will be sitting him. They need to win themselves to get in.I do think though that the Falcons will try to run all over the Rams until the victory is clearly in hand.

Not sure how the Falcons will handle it, and they do need to win against the Rams but that should be easy enough.But Michael Turner is 166 yards behind A. Peterson for the rushing title. It may be a steep hill to climb but there's no reason Turner can't get 200+ if they give him enough opportunities. I think he'll get lots of chances early on and will have a couple of scores. If they have the game in hand in the 4th they may shut him down.But if they knew they had the first round bye they might let him go for it.
Catching Peterson is likely a pipe dream, as it's not like the Vikings will be sitting him. They need to win themselves to get in.I do think though that the Falcons will try to run all over the Rams until the victory is clearly in hand.
I think Turner will get around 100 in the first half and 1 or 2 TDs. Against the Rams, Norwood may just have a monster game, particularly in the second half if they sit Turner. Incidentally, I think Steven Jackson might be a great play in that game. It's their last game of a dismal year, the GM quit... they'd like to end on a good note. Having Jackson have a great game statistically may give them a little boost to look to the future.

So right now it looks like Tampa Bay, Minnesota, Chicago, Baltimore, NY Jets, Miami and New England are the gunning for it all teams, correct?The talk here is that the Giants will play just like they did last year, but if anyone is questionable or gets close ot getting a bell rung they are getting pulled, and if the score gets lopsided either way they are probably getting pulled. I'm thinking that means Jacobs doesn't play very much, 1 sack gets Eli benched, and any minor injuries on the defense are protected because that pass rush needs to be healthy in two weeks. I could see the Giants playing all out for the first half and then you have to walk on eggshells for the second half depending on the score, injury factor, etc.I guess it's a foregone conclusion that the Colts are worthless this week, huh?
I think you have all the gunning for it all teams, plus to a lesser degree Atlanta and Carolina given their quest for the division title at #2 seed overall. But obviously the situation could change depending on respective scores.Looks like the only teams at least right now that will be sitting key players are the Colts and Steelers.
They were mentioned earlier in the thread, but not on this specific one, but expect the Cowboys to be "gunning for it all". They've got to win to get in.Romo/Whitten/TO/Choice should have fine games. To a lesser extent maybe Roy Williams.If I could have one Cowboy this week, it would be Choice. He's been the workhorse and truelly only offensive weapon the last three weeks and that was vs. three of the top defenses. Granted Philly is no slouch, but he will be the primary back. Barber may suit again, so the Eagles have to prepare for him, but he won't contribuite. Is all Choice all the time from here on out.

CalmLikeABomb said:
zamboni said:
Yankee23Fan said:
They were mentioned earlier in the thread, but not on this specific one, but expect the Cowboys to be "gunning for it all". They've got to win to get in.Romo/Whitten/TO/Choice should have fine games. To a lesser extent maybe Roy Williams.If I could have one Cowboy this week, it would be Choice. He's been the workhorse and truelly only offensive weapon the last three weeks and that was vs. three of the top defenses. Granted Philly is no slouch, but he will be the primary back. Barber may suit again, so the Eagles have to prepare for him, but he won't contribuite. Is all Choice all the time from here on out.
What about Witten's health? Looked like he was in pretty bad shape by the end of that Ravens game. Martellus Bennett a possible sleeper or does Witten gut it out? Or is it a timeshare for this week?

omahabrad said:
If tampa wins, does Philly shut down Westy?
Misery loves company, so I would think the Eagles would do everything they could to knock Dallas out of the playoffs

omahabrad said:
Misery loves company, so I would think the Eagles would do everything they could to knock Dallas out of the playoffs
:coffee:I'm not saying Philly's going to beat Dallas (even though I think there's a good chance), but they are absolutely going to bring it on Sunday if they're eliminated. The Eagles thrive on "moral victories". It's just how they roll...

Yankee23Fan said:
Don't forget about Denver and San Diego. No doubt they will be gunning for it all.

I have Brandon Jacobs and Derrick Ward vs MIN.... I was planning on benching them both and going with Sammy Morris (or guess I could pick up L Jordan too. Flip coin.)...

Food for thought concerning Jacobs & Ward, although they are dangerous plays this week; I wonder how much NYG will try to get out of Ward though in an effort to get him over 1,000 yards:

AP: "Jacobs, who has battled a sore left knee most of the season, already has 1,089 yards. Ward is 52 from reaching 1,000 yards after gaining a career-best 215 yards in Sunday night's 34-28 overtime victory over the Carolina Panthers. ``It would mean a lot to us,'' Jacobs said Tuesday before the Giants held a jog-through workout. ``Derrick works hard and he deserves it. He has been under the radar a lot, so if he can get this done and get these 52 yards and make that happen I'd be very, very, very happy. To be honest with you, that is a very special thing to share with someone like him and as close as we are.''..... The Giants can make it easy for Ward. They could decide to give Jacobs an extra week off to rest his knee and give Ward the majority of carries. Don't expect that. Coach Tom Coughlin plans on playing to win. So if Jacobs is given the OK by the doctors, he'll be in the lineup. ``Whatever they decide to do is up to them,'' said Jacobs, whose pounding style usually sets up things for the quicker Ward later in the game. ``I'm here, I feel good and whatever coach goes with, I'll be ready for.''

omahabrad said:
:goodposting:I'm not saying Philly's going to beat Dallas (even though I think there's a good chance), but they are absolutely going to bring it on Sunday if they're eliminated. The Eagles thrive on "moral victories". It's just how they roll...
.becasue that is all they ever win.... hate to tell them and there fans that there are no such thing as moral victories..!!!

Stormers said:
I have Brandon Jacobs and Derrick Ward vs MIN.... I was planning on benching them both and going with Sammy Morris (or guess I could pick up L Jordan too. Flip coin.)...Food for thought concerning Jacobs & Ward, although they are dangerous plays this week; I wonder how much NYG will try to get out of Ward though in an effort to get him over 1,000 yards: AP: "Jacobs, who has battled a sore left knee most of the season, already has 1,089 yards. Ward is 52 from reaching 1,000 yards after gaining a career-best 215 yards in Sunday night's 34-28 overtime victory over the Carolina Panthers. ``It would mean a lot to us,'' Jacobs said Tuesday before the Giants held a jog-through workout. ``Derrick works hard and he deserves it. He has been under the radar a lot, so if he can get this done and get these 52 yards and make that happen I'd be very, very, very happy. To be honest with you, that is a very special thing to share with someone like him and as close as we are.''..... The Giants can make it easy for Ward. They could decide to give Jacobs an extra week off to rest his knee and give Ward the majority of carries. Don't expect that. Coach Tom Coughlin plans on playing to win. So if Jacobs is given the OK by the doctors, he'll be in the lineup. ``Whatever they decide to do is up to them,'' said Jacobs, whose pounding style usually sets up things for the quicker Ward later in the game. ``I'm here, I feel good and whatever coach goes with, I'll be ready for.''
Just hunch...but I'm feeling Ward as the man this week...lots of time left to hear any more news before kickoff. I could be way off the mark? I'm thinking Jacobs gets either some work or none at all?

Users who are viewing this thread