What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Who wants TED GINN? (1 Viewer)

gcoast3

Footballguy
He is the MOST overated TOP 10 pick in the past 10 years.

A waste of a high pick. Thanks Cam Cameron...could you take him back to Baltimore!

Sure seems like all of tOSU top picks are flops in tNFL.

Just needed to vent!

Go 'Fins in 2009!

He's been maligned since his elevated draft status - I doubt he ever lives up to that hype, but I think it's too early to totally write him off.

On the other end of the equation, the undrafted Davone Bess is quite a find.

I wonder where his game breaking speed has gone. All his catches seem to be the 8-10 yard variety and immediately tackled thereafter.

If Ginn were our WR3, had been drafted after the 2nd round, didn't tie up millions of dollars, then he would be fine. But the sad reality is that he eats up a lo of moeny, will never be an 80 catch guy, he is likely going to score about a half dozen TD a year between his returns, endarounds, a couple fly patterns, but mostly he is a waste.

He makes too much money to be anything other than a WR1...I would put him out of his misery as quickly as possible. I would applaud Parcells if he dumped the kid or traded him for a 3-4th rounder, doubt he could get more than that for him, just get rid of him, he is not a Parcells type WR.

I like what Ginn brings to the team.

Not worth the pick for sure, but that doesn't take away from what he does on the field now.

2008 Dolphin Receivers

Ted Ginn Jr. 16 games 56 790 14.1 2 td Drafted 9th overall pick 1st Rd

Greg Camarillo 11 games 55 613 11.1 2 td Undrafted

He is the MOST overated TOP 10 pick in the past 10 years.A waste of a high pick. Thanks Cam Cameron...could you take him back to Baltimore!Sure seems like all of tOSU top picks are flops in tNFL.Just needed to vent!Go 'Fins in 2009!
Ginn is better than Mike Williams if that makes you feel any better. Plus he has a nice family.

I'm fuzzy on the details, but didn't they trade Welker to draft this sack?
Not really. Ginn was drafted after they got rid of welker as an upgrade in the WR and KR department. Welker actually got us Satele and our Punter, so all in all it was a decent trade (cnsidering camarillo and Bess).A for Ted Ginn: I like him as a #2 with bess and Camarillo as 3 and 4. Put a guy Like Ocho Cinco or Q Boldin in the #1 slot, and I see Ginn being a great player. I see him having a long, solid, but unspectacular career.

I wonder where his game breaking speed has gone. All his catches seem to be the 8-10 yard variety and immediately tackled thereafter.
I'm sure it has nothing to do with having a QB who can't throw much of anything more than the 8-10 yard variety.

I'm sure it has nothing to do with having a QB who can't throw much of anything more than the 8-10 yard variety.
it is possible to actually fake someone out and break something.
Dude is a poor man's Peter Warrick...not sure what anyone expected when he was drafted, but for the "rational", he is what we thought he was!!! So crown him!

They threw to him once in the first half deep and he tripped all over himself and fell down, thus allowing Reed to catch the ball, turnaround, and run 65 yards for a score the toher way. Ginn tripped so badly that he could not recover to even get up and make an attempt at Reed. Just wanted to inject a few facts from the game today.

They threw to him once in the first half deep and he tripped all over himself and fell down, thus allowing Reed to catch the ball, turnaround, and run 65 yards for a score the toher way. Ginn tripped so badly that he could not recover to even get up and make an attempt at Reed. Just wanted to inject a few facts from the game today.
He was tripped.

Just watched the replay of GINN fumbling the reverse when the Dolphins were driving in the 4th quarter.

He is just not that good.

He was tripped.
No flag

He was tripped.
No flag
It was incidental. But he was tripped up by the Baltimore defender.

The browns would take him, but we wouldn't trade Quinn.

Would you be interested in Ken Dorsey?

How about Donte Stallworth?

mcintyre1 said:
Ministry of Pain said:
Desert_Power said:
Ministry of Pain said:
offdee said:
fruity pebbles said:
He was tripped.
No flag
It was incidental. But he was tripped up by the Baltimore defender.
Correct, it wasn't like he was out there falling over the field of his own accord as MOP implied.

Ministry of Pain said:
offdee said:
fruity pebbles said:
He wasn't making anything close to a catch on that play. There were two Ravens closer to the ball than he was. not really sure how hat play is anything but Pennington's fault.That play actually helps the argument that Pennington can't throw it downfield.

Ginn has been in the NFL for 2 years now. Lets shelf this discussion until after his 4th year when we should have a much better pulse on his ceiling and potential (see Roddy White...bust through 1st 3 years in NFL, top 10 stud in year 4).

Ginn has been in the NFL for 2 years now. Lets shelf this discussion until after his 4th year when we should have a much better pulse on his ceiling and potential (see Roddy White...bust through 1st 3 years in NFL, top 10 stud in year 4).
:thumbdown: Also, I'd like to see Ginn with Henne instead of Penny, IMO Henne will be a better QB for him.

I don't know if Ginn will ever pan out, but Davone Bess sure looks impressive.

Wasn't Ginn supposed to be a great returner too? I had thought he went so high because teams saw what Devin Hester was able to for the Bears and sky rocketed the value for returners. Kind of like the reach the Bills made for Leodis McKelvin.

fruity pebbles said:
Uh, that is because Pennington is horrible at throws down field.Not saying Ginn is a good #1 receiver (he is not), but he is probably a starting WR and with a QB who can take advantage of his deep skills could be decent. BTW people had Ginn pegged as a mid/late 1st round pick so taking him 10th was a stretch but not absurd based on projecting him. He has not lived up to a late 1st round pick, but he is starting on the team and is better to have than not.

Gatorman said:
GoFishTN said:
I'm fuzzy on the details, but didn't they trade Welker to draft this sack?
Not really. Ginn was drafted after they got rid of welker as an upgrade in the WR and KR department. Welker actually got us Satele and our Punter, so all in all it was a decent trade (cnsidering camarillo and Bess).A for Ted Ginn: I like him as a #2 with bess and Camarillo as 3 and 4. Put a guy Like Ocho Cinco or Q Boldin in the #1 slot, and I see Ginn being a great player. I see him having a long, solid, but unspectacular career.
:goodposting:

Ministry of Pain said:
offdee said:
fruity pebbles said:
You should try and get your facts correct...Ginn was tripped by the Baltimore defender and the pass was terribly thrown (short and to the inside of the field by about 7 yards - you should throw it away from the safety especially when your ball takes forever to get there because you have a #### arm).Take a look at the game and see if Pennington completed ONE ball that went more than 15 yards from the LOS (it might not have even been 10 yards). Oh and a completion to the defense does not count.

gcoast3 said:
Just watched the replay of GINN fumbling the reverse when the Dolphins were driving in the 4th quarter.He is just not that good.
The ball never hit him in the chest because Baltimore hit Pennington; blaming Pennington or Ginn for that is silly

gcoast3 said:
Just watched the replay of GINN fumbling the reverse when the Dolphins were driving in the 4th quarter.He is just not that good.
The ball never hit him in the chest because Baltimore hit Pennington; blaming Pennington or Ginn for that is silly
:shrug: I barely watched that game, but I saw that play and Pennington not only had Ray Lewis (I think) on him when he tried to hand it off but also another defender just about to hit him. That was all on the blocking as they didn't. The announcer even said that the normal handoff became a pitch. That play happened because the Baltimore defense killed it.

Ministry of Pain said:
offdee said:
fruity pebbles said:
You should try and get your facts correct...Ginn was tripped by the Baltimore defender and the pass was terribly thrown (short and to the inside of the field by about 7 yards - you should throw it away from the safety especially when your ball takes forever to get there because you have a #### arm).Take a look at the game and see if Pennington completed ONE ball that went more than 15 yards from the LOS (it might not have even been 10 yards). Oh and a completion to the defense does not count.
Yeah, I'm not sure if Ginn was running the wrong route or Pennington put it in the wrong place but Ginn would have had to cut back to the middle of the field a good 5 yards to get to that ball had he not been tripped up. Best case scenario was that Ginn could have broken up the INT for an incomplete pass. Most likely scenario was it was an INT no matter what.

gcoast3 said:
:homer: I barely watched that game, but I saw that play and Pennington not only had Ray Lewis (I think) on him when he tried to hand it off but also another defender just about to hit him. That was all on the blocking as they didn't. The announcer even said that the normal handoff became a pitch. That play happened because the Baltimore defense killed it.
The announcer didn't know what he was talking about. The ball would have hit him in the gut if he knew how to take a hand off. He tried to grab the ball.

Ministry of Pain said:
offdee said:
fruity pebbles said:
Only the ball was poorly thrown into double coverage and to the inside rather than to the outside where Ginn was.Not saying the guy is good...but the pass was terrible and even if he does not trip, Reed probably still catches that one.

Ministry of Pain said:
offdee said:
fruity pebbles said:
I was trying to stay above the line and not make excuses for Miami losing yesterday...(clears throat) clearly Reed made a spectacular play on the ball, Ginn must have tripped over himself as their was no flag, and the Ravens just mowed over everyone on the return. I agree the ball was thrown a good 7 yards to the inside, great analysis on your part...but Ginn still didn't even make himself a factor on the interception because he has no real size, has no presence, can't run a precise route, sometimes when your QB is under fire you gotta help them out as a WR, Ginn accomplishes none of that.

Ministry of Pain said:
offdee said:
fruity pebbles said:
I was trying to stay above the line and not make excuses for Miami losing yesterday...(clears throat) clearly Reed made a spectacular play on the ball, Ginn must have tripped over himself as their was no flag, and the Ravens just mowed over everyone on the return. I agree the ball was thrown a good 7 yards to the inside, great analysis on your part...but Ginn still didn't even make himself a factor on the interception because he has no real size, has no presence, can't run a precise route, sometimes when your QB is under fire you gotta help them out as a WR, Ginn accomplishes none of that.
It sounds to me like he ran a route precise enough to have been within 7 yards of Pennington's downfield duck. :coffee:

gcoast3 said:
:coffee: I barely watched that game, but I saw that play and Pennington not only had Ray Lewis (I think) on him when he tried to hand it off but also another defender just about to hit him. That was all on the blocking as they didn't. The announcer even said that the normal handoff became a pitch. That play happened because the Baltimore defense killed it.
Baltimore sold out on that play...Miami had gotten back to back 3 and outs, had scored a TD, was driving, this was as close as they had the Ravens all day, and on this play there seemed to be about half the Baltimore defense lined up over the LG/LT for Miami...they did crash the play, however if Ginn could have hung on to the ball he was gone as there was nobody along that left alley heading up to the end zone...IIRC Miami was on about the 35 yardline, perhaps the 30. It was a crazy play but the reality is Ginn is not that good...I understand Baltimore was there and in position and disrupted things but it wasn't like they were sacking Penny adn he handed the ball off as he was falling to the ground. Ginn needs to make that play, he simply is not a big time NFL WR of any kind right now.

Ministry of Pain said:
offdee said:
fruity pebbles said:
but Ginn still didn't even make himself a factor on the interception because he has no real size, has no presence, can't run a precise route, sometimes when your QB is under fire you gotta help them out as a WR, Ginn accomplishes none of that.
:coffee: Ginn is a skinny speedy WR. I just don't see him ever being a true #1 WR in the NFL.Miami still has a ton of holes - a true #1 WR is on top of that list

Ministry of Pain said:
offdee said:
fruity pebbles said:
It sounds to me like he ran a route precise enough to have been within 7 yards of Pennington's downfield duck. :coffee:
Should Penny have thrown the ball?-NO!!!Did Ginn do anything to look back at his QB who was under pressure-NO!!! And since Penny did make a nice run this season, only threw 7 Int all year, I am inclined to think that Penny could do even better if he had better weapons to throw to. I'm not sure Marino himself would make Teedy Ginn a better WR. Miami only suited 3 WR, 2 of them are undrafted rookie WRs.David Freakin Martin Back up TE was running a fly pattern in the 4th quarter with 3 defenders draped around him...give me a break. I give Penny a complete pass yesterday. Get him better weapons, get him a real OL...we haven't discussed it yet but that OL looked pretty average to below average yesterday. Not sure I want to see Miami lock up $10-$15 million in guaranteed money to FA RT Vernon Carey. Miami has a lot to do in order to get more than 8 wins next year.

Give him pass after 4 INTs? Really?

Come on.

He was great during the year...but you cannot just give him a pass for that performance.

Ministry of Pain said:
offdee said:
fruity pebbles said:
Strange. Your stuff seems pretty well thought out normally. But you obviously have a 'thing' for Ginn.

The Ginn equals Peter Warrick comment was about as right on as you can get, I've been saying that since day 1.

I couldn't agree more with MOP's comments as well. Ginn is a 3rd or 4th WR and kick returner, that's it. The problem is although I think you saw from the emergence of Carmillo and Bess and to the playing of London that the current front office isn't big on Ginn they are stuck with him because of the size of his contract. The only hope is someone like the Raiders who love deep threat guys and are poorly run comes along and offers a 3rd or 4th rounder for him. Ireland should be making calls today to get rid o him before free agency starts.

Users who are viewing this thread