What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Joe Flacco, IND (1 Viewer)

Do the first half/second half splits and see if you still feel the same. I still don't think he's the QB Ryan is, but if not for Ryan, Flacco would've gotten the offensive ROY IMO.

He still might be the overall one, due to getting a playoff win, although I think that's more easily credited to the D than to Flacco.

Well if you watch him play instead of basing your decision on the stat line, you'd see he has the goods to be a very solid NFL QB. He passes the eyeball test with flying colors compared to Kyle Boller.

Last edited by a moderator:
Factor in he's only a rookie so everyone expects he will get better with time. Compare Flacco's stats with other rookie QB that started right our of college and you'll find his stats are very favorable. He has a rocket arm....

I'm not sure why everyone is all over Flacco's nutz like he is the franchise QB Baltimore has all but dreamed of. The guy has almost as many INT's as TD's and one of the worst passer rating in the league....
Might want to take a look at Peyton Manning's rookie year's INT to TD ratio.Report back

I'm not sure why everyone is all over Flacco's nutz like he is the franchise QB Baltimore has all but dreamed of. The guy has almost as many INT's as TD's and one of the worst passer rating in the league....
Might want to take a look at Peyton Manning's rookie year's INT to TD ratio.Report back
your talking bout PLAYOFFS? which team was better Ind or Balt?report back...
If Peyton had the Ravens D, I dont think he'd lose a game

No kidding. The kid can make every throw and is cool under pressure. Strong arm and has nice accuracy.

talking about their rookie seasons...which team was better Peyton Ind or Joe's Balt???

Do the first half/second half splits and see if you still feel the same. I still don't think he's the QB Ryan is, but if not for Ryan, Flacco would've gotten the offensive ROY IMO.He still might be the overall one, due to getting a playoff win, although I think that's more easily credited to the D than to Flacco.
:unsure: Start with the regular season Miami game (actually the 2nd half of the Colts game, but the math might be easier if you start with Miami).

Well if you watch him play instead of basing your decision on the stat line, you'd see he has the goods to be a very solid NFL QB. He passes the eyeball test with flying colors compared to Kyle Boller.
Most QBs pass the eyeball test with flying colors compared to Kyle Boller.That's like comparing most women to Amy Winehouse - over before it started.

Oh yeah and he also is one of the top QB to be sacked. Guy sucks!!! Boller revisited, you heard it here first. Please put that in your tag line.

Boller 2004 (first full season) 2500 yards, 13 TD, 11 INT's, sacked 35 times

Flacco 2008 (first full season) 2900 yards, 14 TD's, 12 INT's, sacked 32 times

Thanks in advance.

I second that, not only that, did somebody actually tell us to go compare him to Peyton? Flacco is a rookie on a team that is winning strictly bcuz of the D and cuz they pound the ball with McClain. Personally if they had a better QB they might be using Rice or McGahee a little more! But with teams knowing they are gonna run a ton, they need to use the durable big back! Flacco hurts this team more then helps if you ask me, and here is why I think Tennessee wins this week. A Rookie QB against a Tennessee D that is at home in the Playoffs! Lets see if people praise this kid after his 3 TO performance!!!

No kidding. The kid can make every throw and is cool under pressure. Strong arm and has nice accuracy.
Everyone that listens to The Audible knows that I have been less than kind to Flacco. We first started talking about him when we were down at the Senior Bowl in Mobile, and compared to other QBs there like Chad Henne - he didn't stand out. Going back and watching film on Flacco, specifically the Delaware/App State Game you saw a QB with a big arm, but was rattled easily.I believe that has been Joe's greatest improvement, his composure. So credit to him for getting it done on the field, and credit to Cam Cameron for making him comfortable.

For a rookie QB, this guy has done pretty well. But as some have said, looking beyond the stat line, Flacco appears to be headed on a path to at least a very good career. The guy makes all the throws, stands tough in the pocket and delivers accurate throws under pressure, and is pretty athletic for such a tall guy. I see a very promising future for the kid. I don't understand why you're knocking him at all.

I second that, not only that, did somebody actually tell us to go compare him to Peyton? Flacco is a rookie on a team that is winning strictly bcuz of the D and cuz they pound the ball with McClain. Personally if they had a better QB they might be using Rice or McGahee a little more! But with teams knowing they are gonna run a ton, they need to use the durable big back! Flacco hurts this team more then helps if you ask me, and here is why I think Tennessee wins this week. A Rookie QB against a Tennessee D that is at home in the Playoffs! Lets see if people praise this kid after his 3 TO performance!!!
For one, when did the PLAYOFFS get brought into the conversation? The original post said only Flacco sucks because he has almost as many INT as TD's and poor passer rating. That's all it said. So, why wouldn't you compare him to Manning's rookie year? Manning had almost as many INT as TD's, too, and he doesn't suck.

The whole "team" performance thing is crazy, point out anywhere in the first post or my post that states anything about how the team ended up.

Oh yeah and he also is one of the top QB to be sacked. Guy sucks!!! Boller revisited, you heard it here first. Please put that in your tag line. Boller 2004 (first full season) 2500 yards, 13 TD, 11 INT's, sacked 35 timesFlacco 2008 (first full season) 2900 yards, 14 TD's, 12 INT's, sacked 32 timesThanks in advance.
After 5 games 1 TD and 7 picks. 847 yards. Rest of the way 13 and 5 for 2100 plus yards. Not to add in the factor of his mobility this year also in the equation as that was his only TD last week. Should we factor in the loss of Ogden also for the sacks. Not even close in the end. I love watching the kid play. He has great poise and has only progressed as the season has gone along. That arm is terrific also. Baltimore looks like they made a great move.

I think Flacco's been very overrated as well, but I think his future is bright. My biggest complaint is people seem to think "great for a rookie" and "below average NFL QB" can't be synonymous. That's what I think of Flacco right now.

This will be something I'll be writing about in the summer, but I've found that a QB that completes at least 58% of his passes and has more scores than ints in his first full season, which is generally his second year (historically), goes on to have a pretty impressive career.

The recent roster of players includes: Drew Brees, Tom Brady, Jeff Garcia, Kurt Warner, Peyton Manning, Marc Bulger, and Brett Favre.

The dogs of the group were: Tim Couch and Jake Plummer. You could also put Chad Pennington and Culpepper somewhere in between.

What I noticed about Flacco at Delaware was similar to Cecil's comment. His mobility is pretty good for a big guy, but he had the tendency to make some risky throws when under pressure he wasn't able to simply roll away from. In hindsight, this could be symptomatic of a big-time player on a small school team instilled with the need to make a play when there doesn't appear to be one.

I didn't think Flacco would be this successful early. I think another year will be a better indicator of whether he'll be a decent starter or a potentially elite NFL signal caller. From a stats history, it appears he's on track to at least be the former.

For one, when did the PLAYOFFS get brought into the conversation? The original post said only Flacco sucks because he has almost as many INT as TD's and poor passer rating. That's all it said. So, why wouldn't you compare him to Manning's rookie year? Manning had almost as many INT as TD's, too, and he doesn't suck.

The whole "team" performance thing is crazy, point out anywhere in the first post or my post that states anything about how the team ended up.
ummm I was pretending to be Jim Mora :thumbup: Manning team sucked when he was a rookie, Joe's does not. Faulk was Manning's leading receiver! Manning had 26 tds and was always playing from behind. Joe sucks and you know it! Another Trent Edwards all over again....

This will be something I'll be writing about in the summer, but I've found that a QB that completes at least 58% of his passes and has more scores than ints in his first full season, which is generally his second year (historically), goes on to have a pretty impressive career. The recent roster of players includes: Drew Brees, Tom Brady, Jeff Garcia, Kurt Warner, Peyton Manning, Marc Bulger, and Brett Favre.The dogs of the group were: Tim Couch and Jake Plummer. You could also put Chad Pennington and Culpepper somewhere in between. What I noticed about Flacco at Delaware was similar to Cecil's comment. His mobility is pretty good for a big guy, but he had the tendency to make some risky throws when under pressure he wasn't able to simply roll away from. In hindsight, this could be symptomatic of a big-time player on a small school team instilled with the need to make a play when there doesn't appear to be one. I didn't think Flacco would be this successful early. I think another year will be a better indicator of whether he'll be a decent starter or a potentially elite NFL signal caller. From a stats history, it appears he's on track to at least be the former.
It's worth noting that 2008 was the greatest season in QB efficiency ever, so you should keep that in mind.

I think Flacco's been very overrated as well, but I think his future is bright. My biggest complaint is people seem to think "great for a rookie" and "below average NFL QB" can't be synonymous. That's what I think of Flacco right now.
He's doing what's been asked of him by his coaches. I'm not sure that many are over rating him. Do you mean Fantasy or NFL wise.

Do you feel the same about Ryan because Flacco outperformed him for the last 11 games each they played. 13/5 to 12/8 from that point. One reason I think Flacco has every bit of a future as Ryan does.

I agree that you've got to watch the game to determine the talent.That said, and knowing I am in the minority, I largely agree with the original poster.Flacco has surprised me with his solid play to date. However, I think there is a large smoke and mirrors quality to him. Like I say, I understand I will take some heat for it and I get why people are optimistic, but I would not be surprised if he is next year's Derek Anderson.

Judging a QB on his rookie year seems incredibly premature.

It's the hardest position to learn at the pro level, generally taking players several years to become successful.

So far, Flacco looks like he's going to be a very good NFL QB. Time will tell, but to condemn him for throwing a lot of picks in his first year seems ignorant.

What did you think of Ben Roethlisberger his rookie year? I see both of them in a similar manner. Good defenses, not asked to do much but poised players. Hw he plays under pressure now may say a lot about him.He shows promise as a rookie. How he plays this week should shed more light on him. People like to predict the future but you can't do that yet.

One thing that I like to consider with Flacco is that based on the level of competition he saw in college, his learning curve in the NFL was likely to be incredibly steep for his first season or two. I find myself shocked he has played so well right out of the gate, not benefiting from a year holding the clipboard. Honestly, I think he has the potential to continue to make big strides. While Ryan is, in my mind, the superior QB currently, I'm not so sure if that will be the case in a year or two. Flacco's upside is a bit of a wildcard, and has a real shot to be quite high, imho.

If the paradigm you're using to evaluate him is that of a veteran QB, then I agree. He doesn't make enough plays. But he's a rookie, and one from a small school, so I'm having trouble seeing room for criticism. He obviously needs to develop more, but being off to such a strong start makes me optimistic that he will.

This will be something I'll be writing about in the summer, but I've found that a QB that completes at least 58% of his passes and has more scores than ints in his first full season, which is generally his second year (historically), goes on to have a pretty impressive career. The recent roster of players includes: Drew Brees, Tom Brady, Jeff Garcia, Kurt Warner, Peyton Manning, Marc Bulger, and Brett Favre.The dogs of the group were: Tim Couch and Jake Plummer. You could also put Chad Pennington and Culpepper somewhere in between. What I noticed about Flacco at Delaware was similar to Cecil's comment. His mobility is pretty good for a big guy, but he had the tendency to make some risky throws when under pressure he wasn't able to simply roll away from. In hindsight, this could be symptomatic of a big-time player on a small school team instilled with the need to make a play when there doesn't appear to be one. I didn't think Flacco would be this successful early. I think another year will be a better indicator of whether he'll be a decent starter or a potentially elite NFL signal caller. From a stats history, it appears he's on track to at least be the former.
How would you evaluate Drew Bledsoe, who had a pretty pronounced sophomore slump? Is he an exception to this system, or does he fall clearly in one or the other category?

People like to predict the future but you can't do that yet.
In NFL terms I wholeheartedly agree. Far too early to make any kind of decision about Flacco's future.But for FF terms a little predicting is necessary. Even early on in his development.

ummm I was pretending to be Jim Mora :lmao: Manning team sucked when he was a rookie, Joe's does not. Faulk was Manning's leading receiver! Manning had 26 tds and was always playing from behind. Joe sucks and you know it! Another Trent Edwards all over again....
Too early in the morning for me to get sarcasm I guess, sorry. Personally, I agree with you. He is a below average QB right now (not below average for a rookie, though), I was just arguing the point that TD to INT ratio in a QB's rookie year can't be used as the sole measurement of him sucking or not.

Flacco is the real deal. His 90 QB rating on the road was #3 among ALL NFL QBs this year. In the second half of the Week 5 game at Indy, the Ravens were far behind and so Cameron took the training wheels off. Flacco responded with a strong effort and he's been very good ever since.

In the last 11 weeks of the season he had QB ratings that included: 120, 118, 109, 119, 115, 97 and 95, with 13 TDs and 5 INTs. Did o.k. vs. Oakland (82) and struggled vs. NYG, Pitt and Washington. Of course, those happen to be some of the best pass defenses in the NFL.

He has great poise, accuracy and arm strength. If anything, he is a little too hesitant to make some throws right now because he knows that turnovers are just about the only way the Ravens will lose. So he holds the ball too long and takes unnecessary sacks -- he should be a little quicker to throw the ball away. Also, he could do a better job of checking down to his RBs if the WRs are covered. He was getting better at that with Ray Rice before Rice missed the last 4 games -- will be interesting to see if the Ravens work Ricce back into the lineup this week (he was a healthy scratch vs. Miami).

Also, he doesn't throw enough passes down the middle -- again, I think this is a function of not wanting to turn the ball over. The only routes the Ravens WRs seem to run are 10-yard outs (which Flacco feasts on, thanks to arm strength and accuracy), followed by double moves where the WR fakes the 10-yard out and then runs a fly pattern down the field. I think there are significant chances to hit Heap on crossing routes, but Flacco hesitates to put the ball in where it might get picked.

In recent weeks, Flacco had really been connecting on the deep ball, but then he missed a few shots vs. Miami that were there for the taking. I think the shots will be there again this week -- if Flacco hits them, the Ravens win; if not, the Ravens lose and the starter of this thread looks good.

Oh yeah and he also is one of the top QB to be sacked. Guy sucks!!! Boller revisited, you heard it here first. Please put that in your tag line. Boller 2004 (first full season) 2500 yards, 13 TD, 11 INT's, sacked 35 timesFlacco 2008 (first full season) 2900 yards, 14 TD's, 12 INT's, sacked 32 timesThanks in advance.
Thats not really a fair comparison. 2004 was Bollers 2nd season, he started 9 games in 2003. By the end of 2004 (with 25 starts), his career yards per attempt was a mere 5.6, 20 TDs, 20 Ints. In that case, the handwriting was on the wall. Flacco's stat line is much more impressive with a 6.9 YA and if you look at the splits you see marked improvement in the 2nd half of the season: - 1st half 6.5 YA, 5 TDs, 7 Ints - 2nd half 7.2 YA, 9 TDs, 5 IntsI think he's going to make it and be a solid top 10 QB in the NFL.

One thing that I like to consider with Flacco is that based on the level of competition he saw in college, his learning curve in the NFL was likely to be incredibly steep for his first season or two. I find myself shocked he has played so well right out of the gate, not benefiting from a year holding the clipboard. Honestly, I think he has the potential to continue to make big strides. While Ryan is, in my mind, the superior QB currently, I'm not so sure if that will be the case in a year or two. Flacco's upside is a bit of a wildcard, and has a real shot to be quite high, imho.
:thumbdown: Also like to add that Ryan was almost annoited the starter from the get go for the NFL. Flacco was not even annoited the starter till week 1 basically. He fought with Boller and Troy Smith during training camp and was not even going to be the starter till Smith's tonsil issue. That is why I love the progression in the end. He was a very viable startiing starting for fantasy in the 2nd half of the season in my home league. Like 9th overall during last 10 games. Of course 16 team league.

I think that Flacco is good for a rookie QB, but Baltimore does not need him to excel to win, they just need him not to screw up ala Dilfer.

How would you evaluate Drew Bledsoe, who had a pretty pronounced sophomore slump? Is he an exception to this system, or does he fall clearly in one or the other category?
He started his first year. In his second year he had a 57.9 completion pct., 4555 passing yards, 25 scores, and 27 ints. He didn't fit the statistical profile I mentioned. He came close. BTW-these stats actually made him good enough to be in the Pro Bowl that year and most importantly lead the Pats to a 10-6 record and a playoff bid. His first season, he started 13 games had a 49.9 completion pct., and 15/15 TD/IntSo Bledsoe wouldn't qualify in this club...by a very small margin. He had a pretty good career as a starting QB, don't you think? He wasn't great but he had some really good years.

He started his first year. In his second year he had a 57.9 completion pct., 4555 passing yards, 25 scores, and 27 ints. He didn't fit the statistical profile I mentioned. He came close. BTW-these stats actually made him good enough to be in the Pro Bowl that year and most importantly lead the Pats to a 10-6 record and a playoff bid. His first season, he started 13 games had a 49.9 completion pct., and 15/15 TD/IntSo Bledsoe wouldn't qualify in this club...by a very small margin. He had a pretty good career as a starting QB, don't you think? He wasn't great but he had some really good years.
Hmmm. Bledsoe might be an interesting comparison to Flacco. They are similar in size, arm strength and demeanor. As someone who lived in New England during bledsoe's early years, and now lives in Baltimore, I might give Flacco an edge on decision-making -- you really had to see Bledsoe each week to appreciate his propensity for making poor decisions, and Flacco seems to be the opposite. Bledsoe would make throws that were too risky, Flacco will pass on throws that sometimes aren't too risky.

Flacco is the real deal. His 90 QB rating on the road was #3 among ALL NFL QBs this year. In the second half of the Week 5 game at Indy, the Ravens were far behind and so Cameron took the training wheels off. Flacco responded with a strong effort and he's been very good ever since.

<Snip>

, the Ravens lose and the starter of this thread looks good.
I agree with you, but I disagree with the bolded part. If the Ravens lose, it won't reflect badly on Flacco, IMO, even if he struggles.
Do you feel the same about Ryan because Flacco outperformed him for the last 11 games each they played. 13/5 to 12/8 from that point. One reason I think Flacco has every bit of a future as Ryan does.
In what area? Over the last 11 weeks (not counting the playoffs, just reg season), Ryan has:Same number of wins (9)

More completions (210, 195)

More attempts (329, 322)

Higher completion % (64%, 60%)

More yards per attempt (8.5, 7.5)

More TDs (14, 13)

Higher overall rating (94.8, 88.3 (This is actually an average of the ratings, not doing the whole complex formula))

The only down stat is that Ryan has 1 more pick. I'm not taking anything away from Flacco, but he's not the pure QB Ryan is at this point, and is still in the playoffs because of his defense. The Ravens are the better team, Ryan is the better QB at this moment.

I agree with you, but I disagree with the bolded part. If the Ravens lose, it won't reflect badly on Flacco, IMO, even if he struggles.
Agreed.We won't know anymore about Flacco after this weekend (season) than we do now.

ummm I was pretending to be Jim Mora :o Manning team sucked when he was a rookie, Joe's does not. Faulk was Manning's leading receiver! Manning had 26 tds and was always playing from behind. Joe sucks and you know it! Another Trent Edwards all over again....
This allegedly awesome Baltimore team Flacco is leading won 4 games last season.Cue the 2007 excuse mongers in 3...2...1...

Part of the reason that it's so hard to say whether Flacco's rookie year is a sign of bigger things to come is the outstanding job Cam Cameron has done putting together an offense that only asks Flacco to do what he can do at this point in his career. It seems like most of the time Flacco has two reads at most, which gives the offense the luxury of max protecting Flacco on most passing downs. His prodigious arm strength has translated well on the deep outs and long ball that seems to take forever to come down, and you have to give a ton of credit to Cameron for identifying what Flacco can do well at this early juncture and building the passing offense around those things. If there was a coordinator of the year award, Cameron would be my pick.

Flacco has also surprised me with his poise under pressure. He doesn't go fetal position like David Carr or crap your pants like Rex Grossman. He's made a few plays once the original play breaks down, and he's been very disciplined about throwing the ball away when there's no good options.

In short, Flacco has been an outstanding game manager. The Ravens D and power running game have allowed them to install a passing offense without many wrinkles, and because Flacco hasn't been asked to do more than he's capable of, his confidence and presence has grown as the season has gone on. He is definitely a better QB than he was the first time the Titans and Ravens played.

On the other hand, there's what we haven't seen Flacco do very much, which is make complex hair-trigger reads and operate under immediate pressure (among other things). Flacco has shown a tendency to lose his poise a bit under immediate pressure (who doesnt), and he's been making mainly binary or even single reads on his passing plays. This reminds me a lot of how Chucky made Chris Simms (another big armed, big frame QB) a halfway decent QB for a bit. Flacco also rarely hits WRs on the run. Mason is often running to a spot and stationary when Flacco hits him on those deep outs. I haven't seen Flacco make many throws where he has to throw before the WR has made his break, or make improvisional touch throws, or use that arm to cram the ball into small windows.

Flacco has shown growth over the course of the season, and he certainly hasn't been overwhelmed by the speed of the pro game. Like Big Ben, he fell into a perfect situation for a young QB to gain confidence, which is the foundation of a good career for any player. Chances are, Cameron won't sit on his laurels and allow the league to "catch up" to Flacco and this straightforward passing offense, and instead give the league a moving target by adding new layers of complexity, which bodes well for Flacco's future.

The starter of this post is obviously a hater. (I am guessing a Miami Dolphins fan...lol) No one is saying that he is going to be either any of the 3 Mannings, but he is getting the job done like Big Ben did in his rookie year. The bottom line is that only time will tell, but I would say, "so far so good" about his rookie year. I am not even a Ravens fan, but watching them beat Dallas at the final home game of Texas Stadium was priceless. That was great Thursday night football watching all of the Dallas fans boo hoo :popcorn: (I do give JJ and the Cowboy brass thumbs up for cutting Pacman.)

ummm I was pretending to be Jim Mora :angry: Manning team sucked when he was a rookie, Joe's does not. Faulk was Manning's leading receiver! Manning had 26 tds and was always playing from behind. Joe sucks and you know it! Another Trent Edwards all over again....
This allegedly awesome Baltimore team Flacco is leading won 4 games last season. :rolleyes:

Cue the 2007 excuse mongers in 3...2...1...
were not talking about last year....for that look what Chad P did with the dolphins then..LMAOyou like apples? :shrug:

how you like them apples!

Boy as a Steelers fan I'd like to find fault with Flacco but the kid has been very impressive this year in my opinion. He's mobile, accurate and has a great arm. Seems like he has plenty of poise too, I keep expecting him to cost the Ravens a game by hitting the rookie wall and he hasn't. The one thing I would like to see is how he responds when he's down late in a big game and needs to make some big throws.

You obviosly don't like Flacco, but lets take a look at his season as the ROOKIE QB for the Ravens.It was obvious to anyone who watched Raven games this year that Harbaugh has kept Flacco on a leash, especially the first six weeks. After the blow out against Indy Harbaugh opened things up for him and since week 6 he has done exactly what the Ravens have asked, don't lose games.Since week 6 he has 13tds and 5 ints and 200 ypg along with 3 rushing tds. His QB rating since week 6 is 91.2, which isn't that bad for a rookie and would place him in the top 10 in QB rating.Not bad for a guy they said might not be able to make the transition from division IAA to the NFL.

Users who are viewing this thread