Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
DenverBroncos

Official Joe Flacco - Kind of Sucks

I'm actually relatively high on Flacco this year, at least for 2 QB or Superflex. He's playing for a paycheck again, and John Brown could be a guy that flies underneath some missiles launched over some Rahim Moore-like heads.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, TakiToki said:

I'm actually relatively high on Flacco this year, at least for 2 QB or Superflex. He's playing for a paycheck again, and John Brown could be a guy that flies underneath some missiles launched over some Rahim Moore-like heads.

He actually finished last year with one of the better stretches of football we've seen from him in awhile.

5-3 record and a 16 game pace of 3700 yards, 24 TDs, 10 Ints. 65% completion % and 100/2 rushing

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ilov80s said:

He actually finished last year with one of the better stretches of football we've seen from him in awhile.

5-3 record and a 16 game pace of 3700 yards, 24 TDs, 10 Ints. 65% completion % and 100/2 rushing

Was listening to a Ravens beat writer yesterday and he attributed his improved second half to getting healthier from the back surgery. It's possible Flacco's kind of got a bum rap the last few years. He's not a QB who can create stuff on his own and he's been playing with a relatively stinky group of skill position players. One thing about him I got to say is I think he got maxiumum contribution out of guys like Wallace and Steve Smith.

But despite his improved play and all the Flacco feel good stories going around right now I think it's going to be challenging for him to hang onto the job all season. If he plays like Alex Smith last year he'll be fine but his supporting cast still seems less then ideal and when Lamar gets in he's going to look electric. If Flacco is offering up his normal brand of steady but bland QB play the bright star that is Lamar is going to be to hard to ignore. Plus unless the Ravens are a lot better then I think it might be a situation were a jolt by Lamar is needed for Harbaugh to keep his job, if he wants it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, menobrown said:

Was listening to a Ravens beat writer yesterday and he attributed his improved second half to getting healthier from the back surgery. It's possible Flacco's kind of got a bum rap the last few years. He's not a QB who can create stuff on his own and he's been playing with a relatively stinky group of skill position players. One thing about him I got to say is I think he got maxiumum contribution out of guys like Wallace and Steve Smith.

But despite his improved play and all the Flacco feel good stories going around right now I think it's going to be challenging for him to hang onto the job all season. If he plays like Alex Smith last year he'll be fine but his supporting cast still seems less then ideal and when Lamar gets in he's going to look electric. If Flacco is offering up his normal brand of steady but bland QB play the bright star that is Lamar is going to be to hard to ignore. Plus unless the Ravens are a lot better then I think it might be a situation were a jolt by Lamar is needed for Harbaugh to keep his job, if he wants it.

I agree- the Ravens have done a really bad job supplying him with weapons. They tried but have had a lot of big misses: Perriman, Maclin, Dixon, Maxx, Crockett Gilmore, Bernard Pierce. At the same time, he has played really poorly recently. In particular 2013 and 2015 where he really was one of the bottom tier starting NFL QBs. The supporting cast seems better now but we said the same thing about Maclin and Perriman, etc. There is no guarantee Hurst or Crabtree are all that helpful for the offense. I want to see Jackson soon. He is the future of the organization and I don't see any reason for the Ravens to hang on to the past.

2 minutes ago, Magic_Man said:

You can't polish a turd. Get him NFL level weapons.

He might be a turd too though 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Ilov80s said:

He might be a turd too though 

I thought the same, and really figured Magic_Man's post could have ended as just one sentence. lol

"Joe Flacco got together with his receivers and tight ends for outside workouts this summer for the first time since 2011."

Honestly, the fact that he hasn't bothered to do this in years speaks volumes. Turd, all the way. Still, I bought him in my superflex as my 3rd QB. Hopefully he blows up in a pseudo-contract year and I can profit. Seems like the right atmosphere for exactly that.

Edited by Flying Elvis
  • Like 1

The surrounding talent just isn't good enough to blow up imo.  Crabtree is great as a number 2, but not as a 1.  When Cooper disappeared, he disappeared too.  If they could have signed Dez to play along side of Crabtree, I would have expect a good year out of Flacco.  I still think he is going to finish in the 15-20 range and the Raven will win the AFC North.

On 7/19/2018 at 3:30 PM, Flying Elvis said:

I thought the same, and really figured Magic_Man's post could have ended as just one sentence. lol

"Joe Flacco got together with his receivers and tight ends for outside workouts this summer for the first time since 2011."

Honestly, the fact that he hasn't bothered to do this in years speaks volumes. Turd, all the way. Still, I bought him in my superflex as my 3rd QB. Hopefully he blows up in a pseudo-contract year and I can profit. Seems like the right atmosphere for exactly that.

My brother is a Ravens fan and when I heard Flacco didn't work with his receivers during the off-season he was on my no draft list. I can't believe it took them this long to draft a QB.

I have a few concerns with relying on Flacco this year.

• How frequently will the Ravens roll out Lamar Jackson in red zone & short yardage packages to take advantage of his skills
  • If the Ravens are eliminated from playoff contention, do they turn to Lamar Jackson to give him game experience for the future?
  • Flacco hasn’t been a very good fantasy football QB for a few years now, and while he has new motivation this year, is he really going to turn things around and become a fantasy football worthy starter now?
Edited by Faust

10 hours ago, Faust said:

• How frequently will the Ravens roll out Lamar Jackson in red zone & short yardage packages to take advantage of his skills
  • If the Ravens are eliminated from playoff contention, do they turn to Lamar Jackson to give him game experience for the future?
  • Flacco hasn’t been a very good fantasy football QB for a few years now, and while he has new motivation this year, is he really going to turn things around and become a fantasy football worthy starter now?

The first two points are enough for me to avoid Flacco.  

Even at his best Flacco was never a good fantasy football QB.  The only thing he had going for him was in 2QB leagues he was at least a guy that you knew would be a starting QB all year, and now he doesn't even have that.

Unless you're in a 32 team 2 QB league with only 1 copy of each player, what is the point in even rostering or thinking about a guy who's upside is a poor man's Eli Manning?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DocHolliday said:

The first two points are enough for me to avoid Flacco.  

Also all of the past Joe Flacco seasons are a pretty good reason to avoid him. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Faust said:

Flacco believes that once the Ravens start winning games that all of the talk about Jackson will just go away.

I do think the Ravens have a good chance to win a lot of games and maybe he is right that as long as they are winning there will be no talk about changing the QB.

I do think it is possible this has really motivated Joe Flacco and he will play his best football now, similar to what we saw with Alex Smith last year.

I doubt it though, and I think it is only a matter of time before Jackson is playing more if not starting.

Ravens OC Marty Mornhinweg said Sunday that Joe Flacco has shown improved movement ability early in training camp.

Flacco will never be a dual threat, but his ability to move in the pocket and add yardage with his legs will come in handy as Flacco attempts to hold off Lamar Jackson. Flacco was severely debilitated by a back injury at this time last year. "It looks like he’s moving and grooving better than he has in several years," Mornhinweg said. Reporter Jamison Hensley noted Flacco sprinted 20 yards after a run-pass option play in Sunday's practice.

Source: Jamison Hensley on Twitter 

Jul 22 - 3:20 PM

4 hours ago, Faust said:

Ravens OC Marty Mornhinweg said Sunday that Joe Flacco has shown improved movement ability early in training camp.

Mornhinweg is looking for “movement”, great sign for Flacco.

I’m starting to wonder if he’ll be on the Ravens week 1. I think I’m going to weigh in the thought of Jackson starting at QB when pricing the Ravens WR’s.

15 hours ago, Bojang0301 said:

I’m starting to wonder if he’ll be on the Ravens week 1. I think I’m going to weigh in the thought of Jackson starting at QB when pricing the Ravens WR’s.

Zero chance that happens, they would have to pay another $4M in cap hit to send him packing.

• Like 1

Jackson is a great athlete that could have gone first or second in other drafts. This is how it's supposed to be. I'm not in favor of GMs that skirt this tradition to move a QB while the market is hot or make it less stressful on the rook and the team or.....anything else. Flacco can be traded at the trade deadline, maybe have some threat of a contract redo near cutdown day to make this easier. Flacco can switch to being a backup like many NFL veterans have done. It's just gotta play out. Right now, it seems Flacco is motivated to hold the rookie off and step up his play. That's great.

Look at the Jets and Browns history of always handing it to some rookie or having some rookie that can't even beat out Josh McCown. Finally, the Browns are making a rookie beat out the starter. My least favorite was probably Rodgers versus Favre because I loved Favre. In time though, and longer than expected, Rodgers got the spot. He's been fantastic ever since.   

One thing that I'm curious about is RGIII's impact here. An awesome flash type as a rookie, he didn't pan out. He has taken his lumps and probably knows a thing or two now. Can he pass on some experience to Lamar? Does a mobile backup favor Lamar over Flacco? Watching the third string, what if he does some good? Flacco probably can't imitate RGIII but by the same token, with his failures they probably want Lamar learning more from Flacco. Flacco is trying to just play above all this nonsense and stay focused. I greatly respect that.

I'll go with Lamar in DFS or survivor leagues but I'm not touching this for a redraft league. If Flacco holds him off you guys are gonna get stung by it

3 hours ago, Bri said:

I'll go with Lamar in DFS or survivor leagues but I'm not touching this for a redraft league. If Flacco holds him off you guys are gonna get stung by it

How can someone get stung by their 17th round pick?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, FreeBaGeL said:

How can someone get stung by their 17th round pick?

Maybe if you fell asleep for picks 1 through 16

Flacco will start every game until the Ravens are mathematically eliminated from the playoffs. Unfortunately for Jackson owners the Ravens usually hover around contention until the bitter end of the season.

Flacco will not be cut, he will not be traded and he will not be benched before the playoffs are set.

• Like 1

On 7/22/2018 at 10:44 PM, Bojang0301 said:

The only possible way this happens is if another QB goes down in preseason on a potential contender and they trade for him, a la Bradford. But would any team accept his ridiculous contract or think that he's that much of an upgrade? The only teams I could possibly see doing this are San Diego and New Orleans, but idk that they have the money for it.

Joe Flacco - QB -  Ravens

The Athletic's Jeff Zrebiec writes the Ravens "remain [Joe] Flacco’s team."

Zrebiec acknowledges Lamar Jackson has impressed at times, but he is still "a work-in-progress with his arm." More importantly, Baltimore's plan has always been to let Jackson develop for a year or two behind Flacco. "If Jackson starts a game at quarterback this season," Zrebiec writes, "it will almost surely be because Flacco is either hurt or the team’s season has become a lost cause and they start evaluating for the future." Things can certainly change, but it looks like Flacco is locked into the starting job for now.

Related: Lamar Jackson

Source: The Athletic 

Jul 26 - 9:43 AM

• Like 1

Joe Flacco completed 7-of-9 passes for 72 yards and one touchdown in the Ravens' third preseason game against the Colts on Monday.

By all accounts, Flacco has been having the best summer of his career, and the Ravens using a first-rounder on Lamar Jackson has lit a fire under 33-year-old Flacco. Through two preseason games, he's 12-of-16 for 143 yards and two scores with no picks. On Monday against the Colts, Flacco hit Michael Crabtree in a tight window down the sideline for a 29-yard pickup before finishing off the drive with a seven-yard touchdown to John Brown. Flacco's rekindled fire along with the Ravens' much improved pass-game weaponry may make Flacco a useful QB2 at times.

Aug 20 - 9:11 PM

5 minutes ago, Run It Up said:

Its a trap. I can promise you that if you start Flacco all season he will cost you your league. 

That’s really the thing, isn’t it? I’ve been there… I’ve looked at Flacos say, lasting 10 starts, and thought, “wow… He’s been a top 10 quarterback those last 10 starts!”

And I’ll pick him up and start him, and he’ll completely lay an egg. 

This weekend in Cincinnati is a tough matchup.   I would not trust Flacco for all the tea in China. 

He could very well go to 270/2/1. He could also very well go 190/0/2. 

However, I doubt he will be a top-five quarterback or even top 10 this week. I would rather roll the dice on someone like Tyrod Taylor, who at least will get it done with his legs & be less likely to throw picks. 

Edited by Hot Sauce Guy

25 minutes ago, Hot Sauce Guy said:

This weekend in Cincinnati is a tough matchup.   I would not trust Flacco for all the tea in China. 

He could very well go to 270/2/1. He could also very well go 190/0/2. 

I would bet he goes about 203/2/1 vs Cincinnati

4 minutes ago, Kenag122002 said:

I would bet he goes about 203/2/1 vs Cincinnati

Let’s split the difference & say he goes 195/1/1

:P 

2 minutes ago, Hot Sauce Guy said:

Let’s split the difference & say he goes 195/1/1

:P 

For grins, I was just quoting his line against Cinci game before last (i.e. Week 17 of last year).

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, JIslander said:

He's never had this depth and quality of recievers.

I’m not sure I buy the “pass-happy ravens” narrative though. Not a very Harbaugh-like game 1.

i thought he’d had comparable, if not better WRs in the past with Steve Smith & Torrey Smith in 2014. 

I’m not sure I see Crabtree/John Brown as vastly superior to that. Or even better than that. 

13 minutes ago, Hot Sauce Guy said:

I’m not sure I buy the “pass-happy ravens” narrative though. Not a very Harbaugh-like game 1.

i thought he’d had comparable, if not better WRs in the past with Steve Smith & Torrey Smith in 2014. 

I’m not sure I see Crabtree/John Brown as vastly superior to that. Or even better than that. 

Yeah, Smitty was awesome.  I'd have to look and see how much he and Torrey were on the field together. Torrey was good, but IMO not the RZ target like Crabtree.  Snead not a slouch either.

1 hour ago, JIslander said:

Yeah, Smitty was awesome.  I'd have to look and see how much he and Torrey were on the field together. Torrey was good, but IMO not the RZ target like Crabtree.  Snead not a slouch either.

It seems like a good combination with Brown, Crabtree and Snead.  Tough to tell really what Flacco is going to do for a season after 1 game against a rather weak D. 

Joe Flacco completed 32-of-55 passes for 377 yards, two touchdowns and two interceptions in the Ravens' 34-23, Week 2 loss to the Bengals.

Flacco also lost a fumble that essentially sealed the game in the fourth quarter. Utterly failing to feel the pressure as he rolled out to the sideline, Flacco got thunderously tomahawked from behind as he attempted to wind up for a bomb. It's the kind of mistake he's made far too often in his career. His first pick was an inexcusable throw into triple coverage. The second, a lame duck he threw while getting hit. The biggest positive was Flacco's connection with speedster/deep threat John Brown, whom Flacco targeted 10 times. The Ravens host the Broncos in Week 3.

Sep 13 - 11:52 PM

Rank the following: Charles Ponzi, Bernie Madoff, Joe Flacco, Butch Cassidy and Danny Ocean. 

Edited by Ilov80s
  • Like 1

at what point does Flacco get benched?  

Down two scores, almost 2 minutes left and you check down every throw, run outa time down near redzone without scoring once??.......what did he think was gonna happen?  I know he had that great post season run, but this guy sucks, and they need a QB who will pressure defenses.

I think we're seeing why the Ravens decided to keep 3 QBs on the active roster for the first time since 2009*.

Harbaugh and/or management has lost confidence in Flacco's ability to be a tier-one quarterback. Last night showed that Flacco can't handle pressure anymore. He's turning into Matt Schaub right before our very eyes.

*they briefly had 3 QBs in 2015 after Flacco was injured.

13 hours ago, Faust said:

Fool’s gold.  

He’s just as brutal as he has been for 4 years.  

No thanks.