What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TiVo DVR (1 Viewer)

Birdie048

Footballguy
I need help in upgrading my TV situation. I am not sure what each option offers and I am still researching, but I am thinking about getting TiVo DVR.

Could you give me some help in learning pros & cons? Even links to previous threads would be appreciated. My search came up wanting.

My current TV's (3) are all older analogs connected to Time Warner Cable package ($60/month).

I do not have any HD TV's and don't want to be required to upgrade.

Currently watching shows on the computer and Netflix, but that has limitations too.

Thanks for your help!!

Is this just a niave question? I don't know enough about it to know what to look for yet, but would appreciate some feedback.

Any help out there???

I have a DVR, not Tivo, and I don't see many cons. Recording a show and being able to watch it with no commercial breaks is nice. You don't need an HDTV either. Maybe your cable package offers a DVR promotion where you pay per month to use one of theirs? I'd call and see if you can get on a 90-day free trial period? If you can operate a DVD player or VCR, you should have no problem with a DVR.

I would upgrade your primary TV to an HD model, you deserve it. As for DVR, it's the greatest invention since sliced bread and prostitution.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have Tivo DVR and it's great. All you need is either a phone line or a wireless network so that it can communicate with the home server to get programming changes, etc.

It takes about 30 minutes to set up, but is pretty much plug and play.

One cool thing that Tivo offers is the ability to set up a program for recording from the Internet. I've added programs from work before, and it's a nice convenience. I don't know enough about other DVRs to know if this is the case with all of them.

I have Tivo DVR and it's great. All you need is either a phone line or a wireless network so that it can communicate with the home server to get programming changes, etc.

One cool thing that Tivo offers is the ability to set up a program for recording from the Internet. I've added programs from work before, and it's a nice convenience. I don't know enough about other DVRs to know if this is the case with all of them.
I think that might be a Tivo thing.

The only con I can think of is having to pay a monthly charge (just $12.95/month) just to download program data. But other than that, there's nothing but awesomeness. I can't think of anything I've bought the last 10 years I like better. Thanks TiVo.

Does TIVO have a HD recorder that works with Directv yet?

So let me get this, Directv wants to charge me 200 dollars for the receiver

5 dollars per month lease fee

6 dollars per month subscription fee

Never mind.

If you don't have a DVR, get one. I think TiVo has the best interface, hands down. I tried using the cable company DVR for a while and it just didn't work out for us. That said, I'm going to seriously re-think if my next DVR is a TiVo. They've had problems being a profitable company by simply selling DVRs and their service, so apparently they're adding in advertising and it's becoming increasingly harder to avoid. They've always had a little blurb on their main menu, that wasn't too bad. Then they started adding items in places on your list of recorded shows, that started bugging me a little. Then they had a feature for a while (haven't seen it in a few months) where it would make this loud chime if you would fast forward past a preferred ad when watching a show, that bugged me. They added some ads in when a show ends. Now there's talk about them implementing ads when you pause. Each one individually isn't so bad, but every few months they seem to find a newer and more intrusive way to get you to look at ads. Quite frankly my cable DVR is cheaper per month and doesn't require the large outlay of cash to buy the box (or come with the risk of the box breaking, requiring another big outlay) ... so I'm getting a little irked that I'm paying for a premium product with a bunch of advertising. Is the cable product as good? Not at all (unless they've made huge jumps in the last couple years). Is the TiVo the slam dunk decision it would've been a few years ago? Not really.

If you don't have a DVR, get one. I think TiVo has the best interface, hands down. I tried using the cable company DVR for a while and it just didn't work out for us. That said, I'm going to seriously re-think if my next DVR is a TiVo. They've had problems being a profitable company by simply selling DVRs and their service, so apparently they're adding in advertising and it's becoming increasingly harder to avoid. They've always had a little blurb on their main menu, that wasn't too bad. Then they started adding items in places on your list of recorded shows, that started bugging me a little. Then they had a feature for a while (haven't seen it in a few months) where it would make this loud chime if you would fast forward past a preferred ad when watching a show, that bugged me. They added some ads in when a show ends. Now there's talk about them implementing ads when you pause. Each one individually isn't so bad, but every few months they seem to find a newer and more intrusive way to get you to look at ads. Quite frankly my cable DVR is cheaper per month and doesn't require the large outlay of cash to buy the box (or come with the risk of the box breaking, requiring another big outlay) ... so I'm getting a little irked that I'm paying for a premium product with a bunch of advertising. Is the cable product as good? Not at all (unless they've made huge jumps in the last couple years). Is the TiVo the slam dunk decision it would've been a few years ago? Not really.
:thumbup: I don't have any of this stuff happen to me. The only gripe I ever have with my TiVo is that sometimes it will cut off the last few minutes of a show - but only because it needs to record another show on another channel right after. The only messages I ever get in the main menu are to let me know a new channel has been added to my lineup. :thumbup:

Actually, mine has started doing something like this. It is kind of annoying, but not too intrusive. It's a playing ad or anything, just a link to an ad when it just used to simply pause the program.
:D

I don't have any of this stuff happen to me. The only gripe I ever have with my TiVo is that sometimes it will cut off the last few minutes of a show - but only because it needs to record another show on another channel right after.

The only messages I ever get in the main menu are to let me know a new channel has been added to my lineup. :shrug:
I do agree that this is annoying. The DVR on Windows Vista seems to do a much better job of making sure shows do not get chopped off by adding an extra minute or two to the front and back of a show even if you have something recording right after it. I really wish Tivo did this, especially on its two-tuner models. Not that I record much on my pc. But I've tried on occasion when I either have a show overlapping on the TiVo or when I know it's something I want to burn to DVD and it'd be easier to just have it already on the hard drive.

SHIZNITTTT said:
Does TIVO have a HD recorder that works with Directv yet?So let me get this, Directv wants to charge me 200 dollars for the receiver5 dollars per month lease fee6 dollars per month subscription feeNever mind.
Their DVR is the suck.

I think that might be a Tivo thing.
DTV's DVR will let you do this. I'd imagine others do as well.

I had a DirectTivo for years before DTV dropped them, and it was the best. I bought a stand alone Tivo for my CRT when I switched to cable and got the Comcast HD DVR boxes for my HD sets. I really hate the Comcast Motorola box. The seach is clumsy, you can't forward through a show in large chunks like Tivo, FF when watching a show I'm recording frequently skips all the way to LIVE, which sucks when I'm watching a game. Tivo is just easier to use, more stable and more feature packed. The price sucks, and that is the only reason I haven't bought the cable card HD Tivo yet, but I probably will do it for at least my large HD set that I use the most.

I think TIVO and Netflix have some partnership that allows you to download movies to your TIVO box from Netflix. I believe this is part of your basic Netflix package so it shouldn't cost anything more.

Whatever you decide get a DVR. It totally changes how you watch TV and lets you get much more out of your viewing. Watching shows when you want, not having to watch the entire show at one time, skipping commercials, re-watching interesting plays in sports as they happen it is great.

I used to have TIVO and it was great. I have DirecTV and they don't offer TIVO with HD service so I now have the DirecTV DVR which is okay but not as good as the TIVO. If TIVO makes sense financially for you do it, but remember you will have to buy the box, pay a monthly TIVO fee and possible have to pay the cable company for a cable card (check with your cable company on this it varies by company). With all that considered it may be cheaper to go with the cable company's DVR service.

I have DirecTV and they don't offer TIVO with HD service so I now have the DirecTV DVR which is okay but not as good as the TIVO.
What's the difference? I have a Tivo unit starting to go on the fritz and have a Directv DVR sitting in a box ready to replace it, but I am holding off.

I have DirecTV and they don't offer TIVO with HD service so I now have the DirecTV DVR which is okay but not as good as the TIVO.
What's the difference? I have a Tivo unit starting to go on the fritz and have a Directv DVR sitting in a box ready to replace it, but I am holding off.
I'm in the same boat and it looks like the Tivo in the bedroom has shot craps.We have the DTV HDDVR on the LCD and it suxor compared the Tivo. You don't get the 30 second skip and the set up for a "season pass" blows.

I'm in the same boat and it looks like the Tivo in the bedroom has shot craps.We have the DTV HDDVR on the LCD and it suxor compared the Tivo. You don't get the 30 second skip and the set up for a "season pass" blows.
What 30 second skip?Does it at least have the 5 second rewind?Why don't you like the season pass setup?

What 30 second skip?Does it at least have the 5 second rewind?Why don't you like the season pass setup?
The DTV DVR Does have the 30 second skip feature (You can skip ahead 30 seconds with the press of a button while watching recorded TV)The TIVO user interface is just easier to use and more intuitive. It also responds faster when you press a button on the remote. The big difference is that with the TIVO you can watch 2 live programs at the same time and keep the 30 minute buffer on both. This is great if you want to watch 2 games at the same time and pause one and jump back to the other. The DTV DVR only keeps the buffer on 1 tuner and if you switch the station it clears the buffer.Overall the DTV DVR is okay. It will take a little while to get comfortable with it. They have made a lot of improvements over the last year and there are some features that are better than the TIVO. If I could have TIVO back with HD I would prefer that.

I have a Tivo HD and I like it a lot. I was in love with my first Tivo that I used for 4 years. Other than adding HD it seems to be getting long in the tooth. The Netflix option works, but its a little buggy. The DVR interface and options is the best out there, and I can program from the computer which is huge. Entering text on the remote (or any remote) sucks.

The worst part was getting Comcast to try and figure out how to program the Cablecards. That was painful. Multiple phone calls and 3 trips to my house. I think I just made them do it out of spite.

The DTV DVR Does have the 30 second skip feature (You can skip ahead 30 seconds with the press of a button while watching recorded TV)
Yeah but you have to watch it fast forward instead of it just skipping ahead 30 seconds.Shuke, there was a thread here about programming your Tivo to skip 30 seconds ahead, I saved it.
Two years ago, when I was making the tough decision between a TiVo and a ReplayTV PVR, one of the key features in the Replay's favor was the "30 second skip." This button, with a single press, advances programming by 30 seconds and is handy for quickly whipping through a block of 7 or 8 commercials. Unlike its rival, TiVo doesn't advertise a 30 second skip feature. And when you first set up your Tivo, you'll discover that no such feature exists. Or does it? As it turns out, a 30 second skip is buried within the programming of the TiVo device and can be brought to the surface using an Easter Egg. After enabling the 30 second skip feature, The skip-to-hash button becomes a 30 second skip button. Once you begin using this feature, you'll wonder how you ever lived without it. (In fact, while updating this page, I just noticed that the silk screened image on the skip-to-hash button on my remote is nearly worn off.) So how do I do this? It's easy. Grab your TiVo remote. Bring up any recorded program. (I believe you have to be watching a recorded program rather than "Live TV" in order to enable the feature.) On your TiVo remote, key in the following sequence:SELECT PLAY SELECT 3 0 SELECT If you've successfully entered the code, you should hear three "bings" in succession to let you know that you've successfully enabled the 30 second skip feature. The skip-to-hash button on your remote will now skip forward 30 seconds during playback. The previous function of the skip to hash button (that is, jumping to the next "hash" mark on the playback progress bar at the bottom of the screen) can still be accessed by first pressing fast forward or reverse. Press the fast forward button and then press skip-to-hash and the playback will advance to the next hashmark (or the end of the program if you're close to the end of playback.) Press the rewind button and then the skip-to-hash and you jump back to the previous hash mark, or the beginning of the program depending on your place in the playback. Skipping past the end of the program takes you back to the start of playback. Note that you'll have to re-enable this feature any time your TiVo is rebooted (such as after a power outage or a software update.) Should you not like the 30 second skip, you can disable it by re-entering the Easter Egg exactly as you did to enable it. DISCLAIMER: No guarantees that these features will work on your TiVo, nor that it will continue to work in the future. Furthermore, if your TiVo catches fire or explodes or anything else goes wrong, it's not my fault. Use these Easter Eggs at your own risk.

Yeah but you have to watch it fast forward instead of it just skipping ahead 30 seconds.
Do a search for "30SKIP" on your DVR. It will activate a 30 second skip feature that immediately jumps ahead 30 seconds. The default is a 30 second "slip" which is what you are describing.

The DTV DVR Does have the 30 second skip feature (You can skip ahead 30 seconds with the press of a button while watching recorded TV)
Yeah but you have to watch it fast forward instead of it just skipping ahead 30 seconds.Shuke, there was a thread here about programming your Tivo to skip 30 seconds ahead, I saved it.
Two years ago, when I was making the tough decision between a TiVo and a ReplayTV PVR, one of the key features in the Replay's favor was the "30 second skip." This button, with a single press, advances programming by 30 seconds and is handy for quickly whipping through a block of 7 or 8 commercials. Unlike its rival, TiVo doesn't advertise a 30 second skip feature. And when you first set up your Tivo, you'll discover that no such feature exists. Or does it? As it turns out, a 30 second skip is buried within the programming of the TiVo device and can be brought to the surface using an Easter Egg. After enabling the 30 second skip feature, The skip-to-hash button becomes a 30 second skip button. Once you begin using this feature, you'll wonder how you ever lived without it. (In fact, while updating this page, I just noticed that the silk screened image on the skip-to-hash button on my remote is nearly worn off.) So how do I do this? It's easy. Grab your TiVo remote. Bring up any recorded program. (I believe you have to be watching a recorded program rather than "Live TV" in order to enable the feature.) On your TiVo remote, key in the following sequence:SELECT PLAY SELECT 3 0 SELECT If you've successfully entered the code, you should hear three "bings" in succession to let you know that you've successfully enabled the 30 second skip feature. The skip-to-hash button on your remote will now skip forward 30 seconds during playback. The previous function of the skip to hash button (that is, jumping to the next "hash" mark on the playback progress bar at the bottom of the screen) can still be accessed by first pressing fast forward or reverse. Press the fast forward button and then press skip-to-hash and the playback will advance to the next hashmark (or the end of the program if you're close to the end of playback.) Press the rewind button and then the skip-to-hash and you jump back to the previous hash mark, or the beginning of the program depending on your place in the playback. Skipping past the end of the program takes you back to the start of playback. Note that you'll have to re-enable this feature any time your TiVo is rebooted (such as after a power outage or a software update.) Should you not like the 30 second skip, you can disable it by re-entering the Easter Egg exactly as you did to enable it. DISCLAIMER: No guarantees that these features will work on your TiVo, nor that it will continue to work in the future. Furthermore, if your TiVo catches fire or explodes or anything else goes wrong, it's not my fault. Use these Easter Eggs at your own risk.
Holy crap! I learned something new about my Tivo!

I have TiVo DVR in our bedroom and DirecTV HD DVR in our family room. While I'd agree that TiVo is better in interface and intuitive controls, it's not the Yugo to Cadillac experience that I was expecting. For everyday viewing, I'm equally content watching on either.

Sadly, the only feature on TiVo that is limited on the DirecTV box is the number of TV shows you store on a season pass. With TiVo, you can keep 5, 10, 15... shows. With DirecTV, it's 5, 10 or infinity. As a result, we have 30+ episodes of Dora the Explorer on the DirecTV box.

Cool tip on the 30 second easter egg!

I think TIVO and Netflix have some partnership that allows you to download movies to your TIVO box from Netflix. I believe this is part of your basic Netflix package so it shouldn't cost anything more.Whatever you decide get a DVR. It totally changes how you watch TV and lets you get much more out of your viewing. Watching shows when you want, not having to watch the entire show at one time, skipping commercials, re-watching interesting plays in sports as they happen it is great.I used to have TIVO and it was great. I have DirecTV and they don't offer TIVO with HD service so I now have the DirecTV DVR which is okay but not as good as the TIVO. If TIVO makes sense financially for you do it, but remember you will have to buy the box, pay a monthly TIVO fee and possible have to pay the cable company for a cable card (check with your cable company on this it varies by company). With all that considered it may be cheaper to go with the cable company's DVR service.
Thanks!! Time Warner Cable charges for everything in my area so I would expect to pay for the Cable Card service. Is there a length of time / expiration date for shows that are recorded/downloaded to later viewing? Can they be watched repeatedly (by different people) or is it a single watch?

The new TIVO Premiere came out in March and has been available for $299.

Amazon just dropped the price today to $199 :confused:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0036OR91...ASIN=B0036OR910

Does anyone recommend the new Tivo Premiere? I'm debating the HTPC setup (SageTV via SlicionDust Tuner) DIY option vs the Tivo.
What do you have to do to get that price? Just looked and could only get $279. Which is not bad, considering most are at $299.

Amazon just dropped the price today to $199 :)

Does anyone recommend the new Tivo Premiere? I'm debating the HTPC setup (SageTV via SlicionDust Tuner) DIY option vs the Tivo.
What do you have to do to get that price? Just looked and could only get $279. Which is not bad, considering most are at $299.
It's back for $199. Any recommend the tivo? Seems like a good dealAmazon

Lowest price on google shopping search is $275

That is a very good deal.

I'm a big fan of TiVo. I don't have a Premiere unit, but I'd imagine they wouldn't be anything but better.

so i just got a free TiVo dvr with lifetime subscription. does this replace my directv genie or is this a standalone service?

Does anyone have a TiVo Bolt? How about Minis?

Is it worth trying to figure out what this is going to save vs a FiOS Quantum set for 3 tvs?

Is it worth trying to figure out what this is going to save vs a FiOS Quantum set for 3 tvs?
I have a tivo with a few mini's, it's fantastic. I pay $2.50 for my cable card and have 5 tv's available to watch anything I want. The Tivo/mini setup is ideal for lots of tv's because you don't have to pay cable box fees for each TV. My setup is going to take ~17 months to pay for itself in saved cable box fees.

I have a tivo with a few mini's, it's fantastic. I pay $2.50 for my cable card and have 5 tv's available to watch anything I want. The Tivo/mini setup is ideal for lots of tv's because you don't have to pay cable box fees for each TV. My setup is going to take ~17 months to pay for itself in saved cable box fees.
Are you including paying for the $149/year for TiVo expenses?

No I paid for lifetime on the tivo box and then liftetime is included with the minis

No I paid for lifetime on the tivo box and then liftetime is included with the minis
Intersting, can you do an upgrade on your main TiVo unit and still keep the lifetime?

Intersting, can you do an upgrade on your main TiVo unit and still keep the lifetime?
No lifetime stays with the unit but can be sold with the unit

I'm a big fan of TiVo. I don't have a Premiere unit, but I'd imagine they wouldn't be anything but better.
The links still work. :eek:

lumpy19 said:
Mr. Ected said:
lumpy19 said:
Mr. Ected said:
lumpy19 said:
Mr. Ected said:

No lifetime stays with the unit but can be sold with the unit
Trying to do the calculation, and wondering if I need to keep the Verizon "FiOS Quantum TV - Enhanced Service" if I switched over to TiVo? Would like to be able to drop it, brings my FiOS savings to $50 a month. Will be making $$$ in about 15 months.

Although I haven't used my TiVo in nine years since I got Directv, that old machine]s features would still run circles around the crap Directv dvr. For those of you cutting the cord, is anybody using TiVo in their setup and how are you getting channels like FSN (Fox Sports North) or B1G (Big Ten Network)? 

A DVR is required in my opinion. Any other DVR options, homemade media player storage, etc.? I could probably still use it with a jailbroken additional HD since I bought the lifetime subscription. There has to be better options though if I bail on Directv. 

Although I haven't used my TiVo in nine years since I got Directv, that old machine]s features would still run circles around the crap Directv dvr. For those of you cutting the cord, is anybody using TiVo in their setup and how are you getting channels like FSN (Fox Sports North) or B1G (Big Ten Network)? 

A DVR is required in my opinion. Any other DVR options, homemade media player storage, etc.? I could probably still use it with a jailbroken additional HD since I bought the lifetime subscription. There has to be better options though if I bail on Directv. 
Been using a Roamio for a couple of years and love it. I am a full cord cutter so I do not get FSN or B1G. I am sure I could look into it and find a way to stream it though. 

Users who are viewing this thread