What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Do You Facebook? (3 Viewers)

Check this out, on my newsfeed just now...

"Well after 16 years of marriage my wife tells me she is leaving, you are never prepared for something like this and I have no idea what to do. I am completely devastated."

Poor guy, but :wall: in so many ways.
If I ever want to feel depressed, I head to the FB. Unreal what some people are willing to share with the world.
:subtext: Hey, look at me! If any of you ladies ever wanted to sleep with me, now is your chance! Fatties welcome.
That's the way I read it.
Yeah, makes sense, but I'm sure that's not it. He's just not that type, at all, and reading up on all his stuff prior (I couldn't get enough of this one) confirms as much. So here's what's transpired since:

42 replies offering help and ####. Half of them from God. The last two were the best though. One chick says she can help because she's been through it 3 times now and is looking at a 4th (ON HER FB). :lmao: Then some dude who says he's a pro at it and to call him. Great.

The most disturbing was one from his high school DAUGHTER, telling him to stay strong. WTF???

Oh, and only two months ago, his wife is posting about their 16th anniversary, saying how she always knew she would marry him and live happily ever after from the moment she saw him. And how she honestly loves him more than ever. It's crazy.

The worst part though, is he/they have an 8 year old fighting for his life, with a very rare, awful cancer.

I mean, it sounds like their youngest child is quite possibly terminal. And Mom decides to surprise him with this for Thanksgiving?

All played out on ####### facebook. He has almost 700 "friends", btw. You couldn't put this #### on the front page of the local paper and get through to more people around them.

Finally, 18 people "liked" the story, lofl.
Some recent replies:"Jim XXX Dude, that sucks , talk to me . I'm a pro at this ####."

:lmao:

"Mike XXX This doesn't sound right. Prayers, peace and love to you and the kids. Let's all ask God to come up big here!"

Tuesday at 10:34pm · Like · 1

:lmao: :lmao:

"Cory XXX Time heals all stay prayed up bro you will be fine."

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

"Cory XXX Just do u and the kids she will recognize ! Hit me up!"

LOL, doubt it, Cory.

"Laura XXX HAPPY THANKGIVING TO ALL OF YOU,LOVE YOU ALL

Laura XXX NO WAY YOU WILL BE BACK TOGETHER. GIVE IT TO GOD LOVE YOU ALL"

I love Laura's initial heartfelt message. Then minutes later, she lets loose, classic!

But "stay prayed up, bro" has to be my favorite. :lmao: Never heard that before, BRAH.

I don't know if it's because I'm sitting in a lounge at ORD drunk, but that is some of the funniest #### I've ever seen.

I run social properties for my company. We've started a marketing initiative about a new "black" themed product and part of the teaser marketing push involves "Coming over to the dark side"

We get this on our FB wall:

Bible Beater Supports Moral Marketing

:unsure: really?

I'll take pedopreacher for 100 alex.

Last edited by a moderator:
When does the cool new Facebook profile look go live?
Just read that they are starting to roll the new "timeline" Facebook out. Waiting for all the panicked posts.
Can I opt to turn the timeline off?
I'm not sure this is released yet. If you're trying it now, it's just an app, so yeah, you can delete it. I'm sure you'll be able to - they've let you turn off pretty much everything else (which is awesome). I'm not that worried.

Random Hot chick XXX - "AWEEE SOMEONE LEFT THIS POOR GUY OUT IN THE RAIN!! HOW COULD THEY!!"

--Pic of her with some completely random soping wet PITBULL on her SOFA licking her face.

:unsure: :shock: :X

I don't know if it's because I'm sitting in a lounge at ORD drunk, but that is some of the funniest #### I've ever seen. :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
I know, it's incredible, these are adults. Just checked his page, now get this... He's changed his profile pic to one with he and the wife. :lmao: They must be back together, I love it. He hasn't removed the post either, probly doesn't even know he can.So, whoever she was ####ing...got tired of plowing her. And it's one big, happy family again, thanks be to god.

I don't know if it's because I'm sitting in a lounge at ORD drunk, but that is some of the funniest #### I've ever seen. :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
I know, it's incredible, these are adults. Just checked his page, now get this... He's changed his profile pic to one with he and the wife. :lmao: They must be back together, I love it. He hasn't removed the post either, probly doesn't even know he can.So, whoever she was ####ing...got tired of plowing her. And it's one big, happy family again, thanks be to god.

Annoying thing about Facebook #12474320523:

ADULTS who have taken to taking pictures of their Elf on the Shelf doing mischievous things all over the house. EVERY DAY. I have more than one in my feed doing this. Like it's really clever to take a picture of your Elf on the Shelf on top of your fish bowl, with a caption saying "Woke up this morning to find Elfie fishing." How charming.

Annoying thing about Facebook #12474320523:ADULTS who have taken to taking pictures of their Elf on the Shelf doing mischievous things all over the house. EVERY DAY. I have more than one in my feed doing this. Like it's really clever to take a picture of your Elf on the Shelf on top of your fish bowl, with a caption saying "Woke up this morning to find Elfie fishing." How charming.
WTF is that? No. No, man. ####, no, man. I believe you'd get your ### kicked sayin' something like that, man.

Annoying thing about Facebook #12474320523:ADULTS who have taken to taking pictures of their Elf on the Shelf doing mischievous things all over the house. EVERY DAY. I have more than one in my feed doing this. Like it's really clever to take a picture of your Elf on the Shelf on top of your fish bowl, with a caption saying "Woke up this morning to find Elfie fishing." How charming.
Still better than inane posts such as, "Doing the laundry!!!"

WTF is that? No. No, man. ####, no, man. I believe you'd get your ### kicked sayin' something like that, man.
Looks like somebody has a case of the Mondays.

'SmoovySmoov said:

ADULTS who have taken to taking pictures of their Elf on the Shelf doing mischievous things all over the house. EVERY DAY. I have more than one in my feed doing this. Like it's really clever to take a picture of your Elf on the Shelf on top of your fish bowl, with a caption saying "Woke up this morning to find Elfie fishing." How charming.
Over achieving elf on the shelf mommies

I'M A RESISTER MAN!!!!! :rolleyes: :)

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/14/technology/shunning-facebook-and-living-to-tell-about-it.html

Tyson Balcomb quit Facebook after a chance encounter on an elevator. He found himself standing next to a woman he had never met — yet through Facebook he knew what her older brother looked like, that she was from a tiny island off the coast of Washington and that she had recently visited the Space Needle in Seattle.

Enlarge This Image

Todd Heisler/The New York Times

Erika Gable refuses to use Facebook. She does use social media applications such as Twitter and Spotify.

The New York Times

Readers’ Comments

Share your thoughts.

Post a Comment »

Read All Comments (1222) »

“I knew all these things about her, but I’d never even talked to her,” said Mr. Balcomb, a pre-med student in Oregon who had some real-life friends in common with the woman. “At that point I thought, maybe this is a little unhealthy.”

As Facebook prepares for a much-anticipated public offering, the company is eager to show off its momentum by building on its huge membership: more than 800 million active users around the world, Facebook says, and roughly 200 million in the United States, or two-thirds of the population.

But the company is running into a roadblock in this country. Some people, even on the younger end of the age spectrum, just refuse to participate, including people who have given it a try.

One of Facebook’s main selling points is that it builds closer ties among friends and colleagues. But some who steer clear of the site say it can have the opposite effect of making them feel more, not less, alienated.

“I wasn’t calling my friends anymore,” said Ashleigh Elser, 24, who is in graduate school in Charlottesville, Va. “I was just seeing their pictures and updates and felt like that was really connecting to them.”

To be sure, the Facebook-free life has its disadvantages in an era when people announce all kinds of major life milestones on the Web. Ms. Elser has missed engagements and pictures of newborn babies. But none of that hurt as much as the gap she said her Facebook account had created between her and her closest friends. So she shut it down.

Many of the holdouts mention concerns about privacy. Those who study social networking say this issue boils down to trust. Amanda Lenhart, who directs research on teenagers, children and families at the Pew Internet and American Life Project, said that people who use Facebook tend to have “a general sense of trust in others and trust in institutions.” She added: “Some people make the decision not to use it because they are afraid of what might happen.”

Ms. Lenhart noted that about 16 percent of Americans don’t have cellphones. “There will always be holdouts,” she said.

Facebook executives say they don’t expect everyone in the country to sign up. Instead they are working on ways to keep current users on the site longer, which gives the company more chances to show them ads. And the company’s biggest growth is now in places like Asia and Latin America, where there might actually be people who have not yet heard of Facebook.

“Our goal is to offer people a meaningful, fun and free way to connect with their friends, and we hope that’s appealing to a broad audience,” said Jonathan Thaw, a Facebook spokesman.

But the figures on growth in this country are stark. The number of Americans who visited Facebook grew 10 percent in the year that ended in October — down from 56 percent growth over the previous year, according to comScore, which tracks Internet traffic.

Ray Valdes, an analyst at Gartner, said this slowdown was not a make-or-break issue ahead of the company’s public offering, which could come in the spring. What does matter, he said, is Facebook’s ability to keep its millions of current users entertained and coming back.

“They’re likely more worried about the novelty factor wearing off,” Mr. Valdes said. “That’s a continual problem that they’re solving, and there are no permanent solutions.”

Erika Gable, 29, who lives in Brooklyn and does public relations for restaurants, never understood the appeal of Facebook in the first place. She says the daily chatter that flows through the site — updates about bad hair days and pictures from dinner — is virtual clutter she doesn’t need in her life.

“If I want to see my fifth cousin’s second baby, I’ll call them,” she said with a laugh.

Ms. Gable is not a Luddite. She has an iPhone and sometimes uses Twitter. But when it comes to creating a profile on the world’s biggest social network, her tolerance reaches its limits.

“I remember having MySpace for a bit and always feeling so weird about seeing other people’s stuff all the time,” she said. “I’m not into it.”

Will Brennan, a 26-year-old Brooklyn resident, said he had “heard too many horror stories” about the privacy pitfalls of Facebook. But he said friends are not always sympathetic to his anti-social-media stance.

“I get asked to sign up at least twice a month,” Mr. Brennan said. “I get harangued for ruining their plans by not being on Facebook.”

And whether there is haranguing involved or not, the rebels say their no-Facebook status tends to be a hot topic of conversation — much as a decision not to own a television might have been in an earlier media era.

“People always raise an eyebrow,” said Chris Munns, 29, who works as a systems administrator in New York. “But my life has gone on just fine without it. I’m not a shut-in. I have friends and quite an enjoyable life in Manhattan, so I can’t say it makes me feel like I’m missing out on life at all.”

But the peer pressure is only going to increase. Susan Etlinger, an analyst at the Altimeter Group, said society was adopting new behaviors and expectations in response to the near-ubiquity of Facebook and other social networks.

“People may start to ask the question that, if you aren’t on social channels, why not? Are you hiding something?” she said. “The norms are shifting.”

This kind of thinking cuts both ways for the Facebook holdouts. Mr. Munns said his dating life had benefited from his lack of an online dossier: “They haven’t had a chance to dig up your entire life on Facebook before you meet.”

But Ms. Gable said such background checks were the one thing she needed Facebook for.

“If I have a crush on a guy, I’ll make my friends look him up for me,” Ms. Gable said. “But that’s as far as it goes.”

This article has been revised to reflect the following correction:

Correction: December 13, 2011

An earlier version of this article misstated the percentage of Americans who do not have cellphones, as estimated by the Pew Internet and American Life Project. It is 16 percent, not 5 percent. Also, a caption incorrectly spelled Erika Gable’s name as Ericka.

'SmoovySmoov said:

Yes but then there's this.

I know some resisters. It's pretty clear that the #1 reason they resist is because they feel cooler. Like, "I'm not going with the pack, man."
:lmao: Really people think it's "cool" to not be on facebook? I'm not on it but it has nothing to do with thinking that's cool :lmao:
You know the personality: "Everyone's doing this, so I'm going to not do it."

I know some resisters. It's pretty clear that the #1 reason they resist is because they feel cooler. Like, "I'm not going with the pack, man."
:lmao: Really people think it's "cool" to not be on facebook? I'm not on it but it has nothing to do with thinking that's cool :lmao:
It's the same as the "I don't watch TV crowd". Maybe so, but you sure can repeat the dialogue of every Adam Sandler movie since 2001.

It's the same as the "I don't watch TV crowd". Maybe so, but you sure can repeat the dialogue of every Adam Sandler movie since 2001.
This always bugged me. Television does not innately imply content that is dumb, just as books do not imply content that is intelligent.

I don't use Facebook not out of principle but because I don't derive any pleasure or use from it. I never post and I check my feed about once a month when there is nothing good here or on Quora, HN, or Twitter. Part of the problem is that I generally don't like the people that are my "friends" and their random and pointless musings make me like them even less.

I don't use Facebook not out of principle but because I don't derive any pleasure or use from it. I never post and I check my feed about once a month when there is nothing good here or on Quora, HN, or Twitter. Part of the problem is that I generally don't like the people that are my "friends" and their random and pointless musings make me like them even less.
Mr. Pickles likes this.

This is true. I've made it a point to only add friends that I know I can post really metal #### without freaking them out. Occasionally, I'll add a boring family member just to avoid hurt feelings. But if said relative is boring, they immediately get hidden so I don't need to read their boring posts. This has worked out very well. When I read Facebook, it's full of really funny and interesting content.

I have nothing against facebook, but I guess basically "hate people", I really don't want people know what I'm doing and don't care what they are doing, unless it's something "important". Anyway I just get all my family and friend updates from my wife :bag: I like to just let people do their thingThe FFA is about as social as I get :unsure:

Check this out, on my newsfeed just now...

"Well after 16 years of marriage my wife tells me she is leaving, you are never prepared for something like this and I have no idea what to do. I am completely devastated."

Poor guy, but :wall: in so many ways.
If I ever want to feel depressed, I head to the FB. Unreal what some people are willing to share with the world.
:subtext: Hey, look at me! If any of you ladies ever wanted to sleep with me, now is your chance! Fatties welcome.
That's the way I read it.
Yeah, makes sense, but I'm sure that's not it. He's just not that type, at all, and reading up on all his stuff prior (I couldn't get enough of this one) confirms as much. So here's what's transpired since:

42 replies offering help and ####. Half of them from God. The last two were the best though. One chick says she can help because she's been through it 3 times now and is looking at a 4th (ON HER FB). :lmao: Then some dude who says he's a pro at it and to call him. Great.

The most disturbing was one from his high school DAUGHTER, telling him to stay strong. WTF???

Oh, and only two months ago, his wife is posting about their 16th anniversary, saying how she always knew she would marry him and live happily ever after from the moment she saw him. And how she honestly loves him more than ever. It's crazy.

The worst part though, is he/they have an 8 year old fighting for his life, with a very rare, awful cancer.

I mean, it sounds like their youngest child is quite possibly terminal. And Mom decides to surprise him with this for Thanksgiving?

All played out on ####### facebook. He has almost 700 "friends", btw. You couldn't put this #### on the front page of the local paper and get through to more people around them.

Finally, 18 people "liked" the story, lofl.
Some recent replies:"Jim XXX Dude, that sucks , talk to me . I'm a pro at this ####."

"Mike XXX This doesn't sound right. Prayers, peace and love to you and the kids. Let's all ask God to come up big here!"

Tuesday at 10:34pm · Like · 1

:lmao: :lmao:

"Cory XXX Time heals all stay prayed up bro you will be fine."

"Cory XXX Just do u and the kids she will recognize ! Hit me up!"

LOL, doubt it, Cory.

"Laura XXX HAPPY THANKGIVING TO ALL OF YOU,LOVE YOU ALL

Laura XXX NO WAY YOU WILL BE BACK TOGETHER. GIVE IT TO GOD LOVE YOU ALL"

I love Laura's initial heartfelt message. Then minutes later, she lets loose, classic!

But "stay prayed up, bro" has to be my favorite. :lmao: Never heard that before, BRAH.
Okay, Manley, update for ya (not great, but still kinda funny):"Happy Birthday to my wondeful wife, remember sweetie life starts at 40! love you"

"Thank you Jess! I remember celebrating my 18th Birthday with you...where has time gone? Maybe the next 22 years will be a little less stressful! Thank you for Blessing me with 4 great kids and for being the rock we can all stand on! I love you !!!"

I only found two comments mentioning the disastrous Thanksgiving she also "blessed" him with. Only one was funny:

HaPPY BIRTHDAY JULIE! Jesse I'm guessing you guys r back together? Good news if you guys are! :lmao:

I have a another one that's cracking me up now. This obsessive, pole-dancing dentist who is now teaching her boy the "art". :lmao:

But the best part is the kid is now bringing his buddy over after school and she's got both of them learning how to pole dance. They are like 10. She's posting pics of it. She said something about how she can't wait for the other kid's parents to find out. I'LL SAY. :lmao: :lmao: What is that Dad gonna do??? I'll have to look up the exact comments when I have more time.

Also, her husband goes by her last name.

And yes, she is pretty damn hot. GREAT bod.

Dad, I've decided no on Little League this year... Yeah, I'm going to do more pole dancing instead.

I have a another one that's cracking me up now. This obsessive, pole-dancing dentist who is now teaching her boy the "art". :lmao:

But the best part is the kid is now bringing his buddy over after school and she's got both of them learning how to pole dance. They are like 10. She's posting pics of it. She said something about how she can't wait for the other kid's parents to find out. I'LL SAY. :lmao: :lmao: What is that Dad gonna do??? I'll have to look up the exact comments when I have more time.

Dad, I've decided no on Little League this year... Yeah, I'm going to do more pole dancing instead.
Wow.

Please PM pics.TIA Hank

'urbanhack said:
'BRONG said:

Please PM pics.TIA Hank
lol @ pics, Billy.Okay, I found the posts. Was wondering if they'd still be there...

First, she posted a pic of the two of them. Two poles, and each kid is at the top of the poles posing for the pic. In between the poles, on the floor, is one of those big, electronic jeeps for little kids.

Her title reads, "Pole Buddies". :lmao: Here are the comments:

HER: "(Urbanhack) is teaching his friend (Shuke) how to Chinese pole! Shuke's eyes lit up when I showed him how to walk up with his foot flush to the pole! Can't wait til he tells his mom what he learned at my house;) "

Some chick: "So cute. I like the innocence of it." :lmao: :lmao:

HER: "I like that his friend didnt even ask why we had poles in our house:) They were having a blast!"

Another chick: "you're officially on the cool mom list" Um, not for long.

Yet another: "I love it!!!!"

Some DUDE: "On a side note: You'll never leave the house now!" WTF???

Finally, 5 people liked it. All women. Two of them have pole dancing pics as their profile. Another, Murielle, works at "Gulliver's Wand Shop". :lmao:

'urbanhack said:
'BRONG said:

Please PM pics.TIA Hank
lol @ pics, Billy.Okay, I found the posts. Was wondering if they'd still be there...

First, she posted a pic of the two of them. Two poles, and each kid is at the top of the poles posing for the pic. In between the poles, on the floor, is one of those big, electronic jeeps for little kids.

Her title reads, "Pole Buddies". :lmao: Here are the comments:

HER: "(Urbanhack) is teaching his friend (Shuke) how to Chinese pole! Shuke's eyes lit up when I showed him how to walk up with his foot flush to the pole! Can't wait til he tells his mom what he learned at my house;) "

Some chick: "So cute. I like the innocence of it." :lmao: :lmao:

HER: "I like that his friend didnt even ask why we had poles in our house:) They were having a blast!"

Another chick: "you're officially on the cool mom list" Um, not for long.

Yet another: "I love it!!!!"

Some DUDE: "On a side note: You'll never leave the house now!" WTF???

Finally, 5 people liked it. All women. Two of them have pole dancing pics as their profile. Another, Murielle, works at "Gulliver's Wand Shop". :lmao:
Friend request officially sent!

Just read this one:

"Enjoying some football and Little Yellow Pils with..."

So yeah, he just announced to 667 of his friends that he loves taking vicodin. :lmao:

Latest moronic Facebook trend along the lines of "ladies post where you like to keep your purse but don't tell men what it's about! hee hee hee":

Women are sending each other some stupid chart where the month of their birth = the name of a country. Then they post something like "I'm going to France for 17 months" with 17 being the day they were born.

:rolleyes:

Oh, this is going to raise breast cancer awareness.

Latest moronic Facebook trend along the lines of "ladies post where you like to keep your purse but don't tell men what it's about! hee hee hee":Women are sending each other some stupid chart where the month of their birth = the name of a country. Then they post something like "I'm going to France for 17 months" with 17 being the day they were born.:rolleyes:Oh, this is going to raise breast cancer awareness.
Thanks for keeping us abreast of this awareness.

Latest moronic Facebook trend along the lines of "ladies post where you like to keep your purse but don't tell men what it's about! hee hee hee":Women are sending each other some stupid chart where the month of their birth = the name of a country. Then they post something like "I'm going to France for 17 months" with 17 being the day they were born.:rolleyes:Oh, this is going to raise breast cancer awareness.
Thanks for keeping us abreast of this awareness.
Anything to help!

Users who are viewing this thread