What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Do You Facebook? (2 Viewers)

Facebook is terrible, never had a profile... If you're a married man, you are just asking for trouble.

I've heard the phrase "please don't tag me" at least 10 million times.

Facebook is terrible, never had a profile... If you're a married man, you are just asking for trouble.

:no:

Maybe if you're a married man who doesn't love his wife.
Not true at all... People get in trouble for all types of #### - Even though nothing happened, just being in a picture with a bunch of girls can land someone in trouble.

Full disclosure, I don't cheat on my wife nor will I in the future.

Not true at all... People get in trouble for all types of #### - Even though nothing happened, just being in a picture with a bunch of girls can land someone in trouble.

My wife knows all of my facebook friends. I have no worries. Different strokes, I guess.

My wife knows all of my facebook friends. I have no worries. Different strokes, I guess.
There are a million scenarios, ever been contacted by an ex? Sure the Mrs. wouldn't be happy about that - I'm sure at least half of FB users have run into some sort of headache due to Facebook, whether it be lying about plans, awkward conversations, etc. Personally, FB would do absolutely nothing for me except monetize my life for Zuckerberg. I am okay without that. As you said, different strokes, I get it, it's just not for me.

Meanwhile I wish Tinder was around when I was single!

Yeah. I'm pretty much only friends with my friends. And I'm locked down pretty tight, for Facebook standards. I can't think of anyway I could ever get in trouble through Facebook.

Yeah. I'm pretty much only friends with my friends. And I'm locked down pretty tight, for Facebook standards. I can't think of anyway I could ever get in trouble through Facebook.
That makes you a type A FB user.

There are a million scenarios, ever been contacted by an ex? Sure the Mrs. wouldn't be happy about that - I'm sure at least half of FB users have run into some sort of headache due to Facebook, whether it be lying about plans, awkward conversations, etc. Personally, FB would do absolutely nothing for me except monetize my life for Zuckerberg. I am okay without that. As you said, different strokes, I get it, it's just not for me.

Contacted by an ex? They have tried, but I'm not interested so I ignore.

Lying about plans? Facebook is not the problem if you're doing this.

Awkward conversations? I don't put myself in positions where this might happen

Contacted by an ex? They have tried, but I'm not interested so I ignore.

Lying about plans? Facebook is not the problem if you're doing this.

Awkward conversations? I don't put myself in positions where this might happen
You have never been in a situation where you told friends you couldn't do something and then couldn't post pictures or had to avoid posting bc you made other plans?

It has happened, maybe not to you.

FB is dangerous for sure. I avoid political discussions completely. Friends with all of my major ex-gfs and my wife knows it but it isn't an issue. First of all, they live in different cities.. But more importantly neither me or them are interested. Was over long ago, but we can still be friendly.

FB is dangerous for sure. I avoid political discussions completely. Friends with all of my major ex-gfs and my wife knows it but it isn't an issue. First of all, they live in different cities.. But more importantly neither me or them are interested. Was over long ago, but we can still be friendly.
That's all I'm saying - Numerous ways to get in trouble, not just with the wife.

That's all I'm saying - Numerous ways to get in trouble, not just with the wife.
And it causes rumor. One of our neighbors moved to Oregon earlier this year with his live-in girlfriend who had lived at his house for a couple of years. Just this morning he announced he got married - to someone else. The girlfriend we knew is back in SoCal. We actually thought she was visiting from her FB posts because they had a house under construction up there.

So people start talking... Did he meet this new chick in Oregon and have a shotgun wedding or did he have her on the side the whole time and that's why he moved up there to begin with...

Of course if you use facebook to post everything about your life it could get you into trouble. This is not the fault of facebook.

I've used facebook for years, am selective about what I put on there, and have had no problems.

Of course if you use facebook to post everything about your life it could get you into trouble. This is not the fault of facebook.

I've used facebook for years, am selective about what I put on there, and have had no problems.
:goodposting:

I pretty much use my FB account to post funny things that happen to me throughout the day.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cosign...great communication tool that keeps me in touch with 1500 of my closest friends in a nice orderly fashion with minimal effort.

Listening to my wife talk about the FB posts she sees throughout the day just reconfirms the soundness of my decision to never bother having an account.

:no: Maybe if you're a married man who doesn't love his wife.

Sure hope my wife doesn't notice any pictures of me with random women.

just noticed there is this new green light they use to signify who is currently on FB. Is there a way to disable this so that others don't know whether or not you're on there?

Are you talking about the green dot that's been in the bottom right corner for years? There's a little gear below that where you can turn chat off.

Are you talking about the green dot that's been in the bottom right corner for years? There's a little gear below that where you can turn chat off.
no it's on the left hand side of the page. in a column. it also says whether the person is on mobile or web. it does have that gear thing near the bottom of it and having just clicked that it appears they call this column their "ticker"? It seems i have a choice to "hide ticker". but that doesn't ensure me that my own activity is hidden.

Facebook Fun:

The wife friended a casual aquiantaince - a mom from my son's school. So this mom uses her Facebook page mostly to pimp the bull#### dietary supplement she works for. Some kind of nonsense pyramid scheme called Herbalife. Anyway, most of her posts about this diet drink. Boring. Then one day, this lady posts some image with a quote about how women are beautiful just the way they are. Well, which is it? Are you too fat or are you beautiful the way you are? Wife defriended her.

Sequence of one of my wife's friend's posts last Sunday:

- Posts a pic of Frozen saying she hopes it wins

- Posts "Harrison Ford reminds me of my dad"

- Posts a pic of Angelina Jolie on the red carpet and comments on how elegant she looks

- Posts a graphic of all the Best Actress winning dresses since 1929

- Posts a comment about something funny Ellen said

- Posts a pic showing the lady who won Best Supporting next to cinderella and how their dresses are similar

then

- Posts the super-selfie pic Ellen took that broke Twitter and comments: "How did this break twitter?!?! People are so starstruck it's pathetic."

uh.. maybe because of people like you?

I dont post anything personal and i NEVER "check in" someplace when on a date, tends to piss the other ladies off who think they are dating the Linus....

- Posts a pic of Angelina Jolie on the red carpet and comments on how elegant she looks

- Posts a pic showing the lady who won Best Supporting next to cinderella and how their dresses are similar

then

- Posts the super-selfie pic Ellen took that broke Twitter and comments: "How did this break twitter?!?! People are so starstruck it's pathetic."

But yet you are the one that knows the 7 steps she performed on facebook? :confused:

then

But yet you are the one that knows the 7 steps she performed on facebook? :confused:
yes I went back and looked after she posted the "pathetic" comment

Here's another one from this weekend...

Somebody posts a pic and check-in at a Four Seasons. Some chick comments "oh, that's my favorite Four Seasons!".

Not only a humblebrag about also having stayed at the Four Seasons, but apparently you've stayed at so many that you've compared them all and determined this is your favorite. She's probably been to 1 or 2.

#### no!.........Facebook is one of the many building blocks for the downfall of society. I like how people brag about how many friends they have......Friends, you don't even know 3/4's of your so called friends.

Question on abilities to do something in Facebook with settings, etc.

- There is a person I want to keep as a Friend (don't want to defriend) and have the ability to go to their page whenever I want

- But, I don't want any of their updates to show up in MY news feed.

- I want that person to see no difference...they get all my updates in their news feed and are able to see/search for me in their friend's list

I tried the "unfollow" method, which accomplished both of the first bullets, but from their end it looked like I blocked them.....in any kind of search they couldn't find me so it looked like I defriended or blocked them which I didn't.

Is there a way to accomplish all 3 bullets successfully?

- There is a person I want to keep as a Friend (don't want to defriend) and have the ability to go to their page whenever I want

- I want that person to see no difference...they get all my updates in their news feed and are able to see/search for me in their friend's list

I tried the "unfollow" method, which accomplished both of the first bullets, but from their end it looked like I blocked them.....in any kind of search they couldn't find me so it looked like I defriended or blocked them which I didn't.

On the top left where it says News Feed, highlight it and click on the little pencil that shows up and go to News Feed settings. There, you can hide posts from certain friends.

On the top left where it says News Feed, highlight it and click on the little pencil that shows up and go to News Feed settings. There, you can hide posts from certain friends.
Just looked into this and basically that area diverts you to just "unfollow" that person which is what I did before. Why would unfollowing someone make it look like I blocked/defriended them?....can't see my profile in any searches whatsoever (from their friends list area or the general FB search). And I know this is the case because as soon as I followed that person again this morning they said they could now see me in searches again.

Last edited by a moderator:
You might be on a different FB layout as they're in the middle of rolling a new one out, but when I go to News Feed settings, it does not say anything about unfollowing, it says "Hide posts from:" and then lists your friends for you to check off. I have 3 friends on my hide list so I know its been around for a while.

17seconds said:
Nugget said:
Deactivated my FB account on Sunday. Should have done it a long time ago.
I tried it once and was back within a couple of weeks

It's really hard to give up the stalking
I'm trying to be a role model for my wife and show her it is possible.

Nugget said:
Deactivated my FB account on Sunday. Should have done it a long time ago.
I'm considering deleting my account and re-opening it with a fake name. That way I can just add like 20 of my best friends and eliminate all the detritus

Haven't been on in two full years. They do send me emails with suggestions and posts that people have made every few days to entice me back, but I won't go back

Just looked into this and basically that area diverts you to just "unfollow" that person which is what I did before. Why would unfollowing someone make it look like I blocked/defriended them?....can't see my profile in any searches whatsoever (from their friends list area or the general FB search). And I know this is the case because as soon as I followed that person again this morning they said they could now see me in searches again.
It really sounds like you misclicked the first try. I have two or three people I unfollowed who still regularly "like" pictures I post.

Users who are viewing this thread