What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL*** Steelers 2009 Thread (1 Viewer)

Frenchy Fuqua

Footballguy
How about some OL in the draft!

Sixth sense: Steelers do it the right way

By Gene Wojciechowski

TAMPA, Fla. -- I don't know if the Pittsburgh Steelers are America's Team. But Sunday night at Heinz Field South, they were Raymond James Stadium's team. They were President Obama's team. Most of all, they were the Vince Lombardi Trophy's team.

Do you have any idea how hard it is to win a Super Bowl? The Steelers have now won a record-breaking six of them, two in the past four years. Fifteen of the NFL's 32 franchises have never won one. Five have never even advanced to the game.

So trying to put an Iron City six-pack into perspective is like trying to comprehend Michelangelo's Sistine Chapel or Rod Blagojevich's hair. Some things are beyond explanation.

But I know this: Steelers wide receiver Hines Ward, who played this game on a knee and a half ("I can't even describe the pain," Ward said), had to squeeze away tears when talking about team owner Dan Rooney. You think Terrell Owens would get teary-eyed about Jerry Jones?

"I saw Mr. Rooney today and I just broke down,'' said Ward, who started to cry again as he remembered the meeting with the 76-year-old owner.

Safety Troy Polamalu, holding his infant son on his knee, said the Steelers call Rooney "Pops." Turns out Pops makes sure all of his players have his cell phone number -- just in case they ever need him for something. Imagine that.

This is why the Steelers are unlike any other professional sports franchise. They win in ways you can respect. They beat the Arizona Cardinals 27-23 in arguably the best Super Bowl game ever, and the Steelers spend the postgame complimenting the other team as much as they compliment their own.

Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger found Cardinals QB Kurt Warner on the field and told him, "It was an honor to play against you." Little-known fact: The first sports autobiography Roethlisberger ever read was Warner's book.

Roethlisberger arrived at the postgame interview room holding the football he used during the final kneel-down of the game. In 2005, when the Steelers won Super Bowl XL, Roethlisberger gave the game ball to teammate Jerome Bettis.

"I'll hold on to this one," Roethlisberger said this time.

Can you blame him? Unlike the 2005 championship, when he played in full upchuck mode (9-of-21 for 123 yards and two interceptions), Roethlisberger distinguished himself in XLIII with a game-winning, last-minute touchdown pass to Super Bowl MVP Santonio Holmes. Perfect throw. Perfect catch. Asked to describe the play, Roethlisberger kept it simple.

"Scramble right. Scramble left. Find somebody open,'' he said. "Somebody got open."

Humility.

If America is looking for a team, this is it. What's not to like?

The Steelers have won those six Super Bowls with three different coaches. Unlike the Cowboys, the Rooneys don't give their ATM password to big-name free agents. Instead, they draft well (Holmes and Roethlisberger were first-rounders). They sign undrafted free agents well (NFL defensive MVP James Harrison). They hire coaches well (Chuck Noll, Bill Cowher, Mike Tomlin in the past 40 years). And they never, ever pretend they invented the game.

"I think what makes America's Team is that anywhere you go in America, that's your home stadium,'' said safety Ryan Clark. "It's called Steelers Nation for a reason. [The Cowboys] may be called 'America's Team' because they have reality shows. They like to be in the headlines, things like that. ... But it felt like we were in Pittsburgh tonight.''

I'd be stunned if Tomlin and the Rooneys ever let a "Hard Knocks" film crew into their training camp. They don't need the attention. They don't need to grow their "brand." Winning Super Bowls, not being on HBO, is what grows a franchise.

There were no in-betweens in Sunday evening's game. It was a strange combination of penalties (18 total) and hair-on-fire moments.

Harrison, cut four different times during his seven-year career, delivered the most amazing play in Super Bowl history -- better than David Tyree's ball-on-helmet catch of a year ago. Harrison's 100-yard, get-me-an-oxygen-tank interception return in the waning seconds of the first half proved to be a 14-point swing: as many as seven lost points for the Cardinals (who had first-and-goal at the Steelers' 1 with 18 seconds remaining) and seven found points for Pittsburgh. An exhausted Harrison collapsed in the end zone after the runback.

"I probably shouldn't have chased him so far trying to block, because I couldn't breathe,'' said Clark. "I wanted to lay down next to him, but I figured since I didn't score, nobody was going to give me any sympathy."

There was Warner completing 31 of 43 passes for 377 yards and three touchdowns, including a 64-yarder to the amazing Larry Fitzgerald with 2:37 left to play. That put the Cardinals ahead 23-20. You could almost feel 70,774 people in the stadium inch toward their seat edges.

And then there was Roethlisberger and Holmes on the final Steelers scoring drive. Earlier Sunday morning, Ward had told Holmes that it was games like this in which players made names for themselves. Ward would know; he was the MVP of Super Bowl XL.

Roethlisberger threw eight passes on the drive, four of them to Holmes. Of the 78 yards covered on the drive, Holmes caught 73 yards' worth. But it was his final catch -- that 6-yarder in the corner of the end zone, where his toes somehow stayed put on the turf -- that won him the MVP, and the Steelers their sixth Super Bowl.

"Where is the celebration?'' Clark shouted after the game. "I am done being dumbfounded that we won."

The celebration will be in Pittsburgh. America's Parade Route.

Gene Wojciechowski is the senior national columnist for ESPN.com. You can contact him at gene.wojciechowski@espn3.com.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tomlin doesn't want to hear talk of 'repeat'

Monday, February 02, 2009

By Chuck Finder, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

TAMPA, Fla. -- The morning after, Mike Tomlin talked about a historic call from the president, his feelings about becoming the second African-American coach to win a Super Bowl, a safety he was prepared to accept and the R-word he doesn't want recited about his Super Bowl champion Steelers.

"The thing I'm going to sell to our football team, we're not attempting to repeat," the second-year Steelers coach said at a news conference today, barely 10 hours after the Steelers' come-from-behind, 27-23 victory in Super Bowl XLIII last night at Raymond James Stadium. "That special group of men in that locker room last night at the end of that game, that's gone forever. There will be 53 new men in there. A lot of the faces will be the same, but nothing stays the same in this game. Those that remain, the roles will change. Some will ascend, some will descend.

"Our focus will be about being the one at the end of the season. I think repeating and defending Super Bowl championships in today's NFL is something of a misnomer. When I walk down the hallway [at the Steelers' offices] and look at the champions of the Steelers from the '70s, it's the same faces in the same positions on those photos, in terms of the Steel Curtain and so forth. That's not the reality of today's NFL, to be quite honest with you. We'll start with a new group of men --- hopefully a lot of them will be the same.

"You won't hear me say 'repeat' or 'defending,' because it's brand new. This group will always be special to me. But, you know, sometime soon, that group will assume its place with others in history. And they'll be just that, history."

Tomlin grew emotional when the subject was broached about the first African-American president's congratulatory telephone call to a professional sports champion --- and, in particular, to the second African-American coach to win a Super Bowl, after his mentor and former boss Tony Dungy of Indianapolis two years ago.

"Just very surreal, a very humbling experience to be a part of that," he said. "It's what you dream about. It's amazing not only as a coach, but just as a citizen.

"I heard very little, very little of what he said. I let him know that. I said, 'Mr. President, I can't hear what you're saying, I appreciate your call, I appreciate your congratulations,' and I handed the phone back to Mr. [Dan] Rooney."

And, strategically speaking, Tomlin said he decided to have punter Mitch Berger on fourth down run out of the end zone and take a safety before Arizona on third down recorded one to whittle the Steelers' fourth-quarter lead to 20-16. Center Justin Hartwig was called for a holding penalty in the end zone, negating a first down completion from Ben Roethlisberger to Santonio Holmes and, under rules, giving the Cardinals 2 points.

"I had already made the decision to take the safety," Tomlin said. "Their punt-rush team is spectacular, led by [ex-Steeler] Sean Morey, their Pro Bowl special teamer. So I really wasn't all that devastated by that safety. It was a little disappointing because we had converted the first down. But my mentality was, had that pass come up incomplete, that we were going to take the safety on fourth down, anyway."

More details in tomorrow's Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

First published on February 2, 2009 at 10:20 am

That was some of the finest football I've ever seen...

even though I almost had a heart attack 3 times!

Now to re-sign McFadden, Starks, and N. Washington; then rebuild the O-Line!

:wall:

This can't be the official Steelers 2009 thread, it doesn't say anything about being the champs.

Please edit title of thread to :

***OFFICIAL*** Steelers 2009 Thread

What's next for the defending champs?

TIA.

:unsure:

I am still in a little shock that we won...but..

I think the core of this team is solid and frankly I think the O-line is as bad as it gets.

If we can just get to mediocre on the O-line, the Stillers will be in the mix for the next several years...

The Jerk said:
Team of the Decade? No.Patriots vs. Steelers in the decade3 vs. 2 in Lombardi trophies4 vs. 2 in Super Bowl appearances5 vs. 4 in AFCC games (not to mention Patriots 2-0 vs. Steelers)6 vs. 6 in division titles16-0 season vs. 15-1 season If the Steelers win SB XLIV, especially if they beat the Patriots in the playoffs, then maybe there's discussion, but at best it still ends in a tie for Pittsburgh. And I would argue for the Patriots given the head-to-head would still be 2-1 in the playoffs in favor of New England.(and most of you know I am :banned: )
I agree, makes sense. Best they can hope for is a tie with the Patriots, for this decade.

So, does anyone else think its a bad idea to have the goal line RB and a FB returning kickoffs?
Yes, they need someone back there that might occasionally break a long one. Carey Davis hasn't impressed me in any phase of the game. I hope they bring someone in to compete at the FB spot. I'm not sure why Mewelde wasn't used to return kickoffs.

So, does anyone else think its a bad idea to have the goal line RB and a FB returning kickoffs?
Yes, they need someone back there that might occasionally break a long one. Carey Davis hasn't impressed me in any phase of the game. I hope they bring someone in to compete at the FB spot. I'm not sure why Mewelde wasn't used to return kickoffs.
Yeah, the only time that Carey Davis was useful all year was the play in the Superbowl where he prevented an INT by batting the ball out. Aside from that, he's a piss-poor blocker that doesn't really catch or run that well.Can we think of any college FBs that would be good pickups?I would have loved to get Peyton Hillis or Owen Schmitt last year. Though Hillis is much more the type the coaches seem to want- more a receiver/running threat than blocker.

Definitely need to shore up the short yardage game, deficiencies in that are nearly cost us the game last night. Whether that's line help or an additional back, something must be done.

I'd love to see a corner with return ability drafted early if the OL value isn't there at #32 or #64.

Yeah, the only time that Carey Davis was useful all year was the play in the Superbowl where he prevented an INT by batting the ball out. Aside from that, he's a piss-poor blocker that doesn't really catch or run that well.Can we think of any college FBs that would be good pickups?I would have loved to get Peyton Hillis or Owen Schmitt last year. Though Hillis is much more the type the coaches seem to want- more a receiver/running threat than blocker.
I hope Davis is not wearing a Steelers jersey next year. We need a real hard nosed FB like Krieder. And please move Colon inside to guard where he belongs. Entire draft should be nothing but OL and DL. I hope they re-sign McFadden.

Is this the consensus need priority:

1. Offensive Line

2. Defensive Line

fairly significant gap

3. Wide receiver depth

4. Secondary depth

A lot depends on potential re-signing of McFadden and Washington. Signing them would allow for nearly all focus to be on the lines for the draft and potential free agent moves. As usual, I don't expect a big free agent splash, but limited moves might be needed as a line full of early draft picks is not usually a great indicator of success on offense.

Before fully turning to 2009, a few tidbits from the 2008 Steelers season concerning regular season schedule difficulty:

The cumulative opponents record (133-120-3; .525) was the second most difficult of any Super Bowl champion [#1: 1979 Steelers 135-121 (.527)].

Playing seven games against playoff teams in the regular season ties the most by any Super Bowl champion (1983 Raiders, 1990 Giants, 1995 Cowboys).

No previous Super Bowl champion has ever played six games against teams that were 11-5 or better in the regular season.

11 of the 16 opponents finished .500 or better (tied the 1980 Raiders and 2006 Colts for most of any Super Bowl champion).

That was some of the finest football I've ever seen...even though I almost had a heart attack 3 times!Now to re-sign McFadden, Starks, and N. Washington; then rebuild the O-Line! :confused:
I really doubt Washington is back. Somebody will pay him and it won't be the Steelers. He has terrible hands and we need a WR who can return kicks.

Wanted to wait until Tuesday to drop it in the thread...

Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:00 am EST

Steelers' Foote won't take pay cut; headed to Detroit?

The Detroit Free Press quoted a close friend of Larry Foote's who said the Pittsburgh Steelers linebacker would like to play for the Lions.

"He wants to come back here," said Brian Blackburn, Foote's friend. "This is the last year of his contract, and he wants to come back here and play for the Lions for about four years and call it quits after that."

Foote is signed through next season but is scheduled to earn $2,885,000 and he has Lawrence Timmons, the team's first-round draft choice in 2007, behind him. Foote likely would resist if the Steelers request he take a pay cut, leaving the choice in their hands to pay him or release him. They also could try to negotiate an extension, but with Timmons in the picture, that might be a difficult decision.

Source: Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Trade him. Thanks for service Foote. If you want to go, then go.
This makes no sense. The menoy isn't that huge and Timmons is still a part time player. I doubt we would ever release him and he has little to no trade value.

That was some of the finest football I've ever seen...even though I almost had a heart attack 3 times!Now to re-sign McFadden, Starks, and N. Washington; then rebuild the O-Line! :)
I really doubt Washington is back. Somebody will pay him and it won't be the Steelers. He has terrible hands and we need a WR who can return kicks.
I think the sentiment is that we'd all rather see Washington as the #3 (and #2 if Holmes/Ward were to go down) over Sweed, but he is the kind of guy the Steeler FO regularly sign in FA (C.Wilson?).Starks is as big of a FA concern as this team has, as there are no FA OTs worth throwing FA $ at. McFadden is a big one, as Townsend is yet another year older, and never has been any more than above average anyways. I think Tomlin's (former DBs coach) influence has been tremendous on the secondary and McFadden could be replaced much more easily than Starks, but I'd rather keep him at starter $ than draft & develop a guy for less. We don't have the depth in the secondary to lose a starter for at least another year unless you believe Gay is starter material. I think Townsend's starter days are behind him, but could still be a very good nickel CB. This is a perfect time to draft a CB in the top-3 rounds if McFadden is resigned. Maybe the best option would be to sign Starks long-term, and tag McFadden. Maybe even a transition tag would be enough.

The Detroit Free Press quoted a close friend of Larry Foote's who said the Pittsburgh Steelers linebacker would like to play for the Lions.

"He wants to come back here," said Brian Blackburn, Foote's friend. "This is the last year of his contract, and he wants to come back here and play for the Lions for about four years and call it quits after that."

Foote is signed through next season but is scheduled to earn $2,885,000 and he has Lawrence Timmons, the team's first-round draft choice in 2007, behind him. Foote likely would resist if the Steelers request he take a pay cut, leaving the choice in their hands to pay him or release him. They also could try to negotiate an extension, but with Timmons in the picture, that might be a difficult decision.

This makes no sense. The menoy isn't that huge and Timmons is still a part time player. I doubt we would ever release him and he has little to no trade value.
Nothing to see here. Foote has no leverage. If he wants to hold out, Timmons is close enough to ready. By 2010, Timmons should be educated enough to supplant Foote anyways (if Farrior is still around). Knowing this team and it's draft plans, don't be surprised to see a DB & LB added earlier than we are expecting in the draft. Farrior is getting old, Foote has a year left and Timmons is all set for one of those spots. We need another ILB soon, and Harrison is good for another short-term contract, but if he insists on more than 3 years we'll need another OLB too. We all want OL & DL exclusively, and they can't possibly ignore those spots, but Townsend is old, McFadden is a concern this offseason and there is very little behind Gay. Besides that, Tomlin's DB resume is stellar and they shouldn't be shy about getting him some of "his" guys. I think our #32 pick is almost a lock to be Mack/Unger/Robinson but don't be surprised if they nab an ILB or CB at #64. 3-4 DEs are guys that this brass team like to take in later rounds 'cause the value rises a ton on them late in the draft.

I think he does hold some trade value. Especially as a MLB in a 4-3. Very much like Earl Holmes.He is better then Paris Lenon and word is Jordan Dizon isnt very good at the MLB spot.

As such, if he agrees to a 4 year extension, the Lions can a veteran starting linebacker - and they need people who can bring a winning approach/attitude/understanding in the worst way. My guess you would be looking to get a 3rd for Foote and a 4th. Which may be enough to really give us a upgraded chance at getting a half-way decent linebacker to come in and be a back up. (Which isnt what the Lions need at LB, but we do/will).
Marshall Faulk in his prime was worth a 2nd. There is no way that Foote is worth a 3rd and 4th. I would be shocked if he was worth a 5th.

:thumbup:

I do think they could have a team that gets old fast. I think we need some OL and secondary help.

:thumbup:I do think they could have a team that gets old fast. I think we need some OL and secondary help.
Really? I think their core players are young or just in their prime. OL needs rebuilt without a doubt. IMO secondary will be fine if they resign McFadden.

:towelwave:I do think they could have a team that gets old fast. I think we need some OL and secondary help.
Really? I think their core players are young or just in their prime. OL needs rebuilt without a doubt. IMO secondary will be fine if they resign McFadden.
Townsend, Farrior, Hampton & Smith are all over 30. Silverback is 29 I think. Hines is 32. That is a big lump of guys (especially when referring to the two D linemen) that are very prominent and on the downhill side.

I'd love to see a corner with return ability drafted early if the OL value isn't there at #32 or #64.
I'd rather they address the DL if offensive lineman are slim pickings at #32 or #64 and look at a guy like Joe Burnett come round 3 or 4 if they want a CB who can return punts/kicks.

:lmao:I do think they could have a team that gets old fast. I think we need some OL and secondary help.
Townsend, Farrior, Hampton & Smith are all over 30. Silverback is 29 I think. Hines is 32. That is a big lump of guys (especially when referring to the two D linemen) that are very prominent and on the downhill side.
Resign McFadden and Townsend is just a nickel back. 3-4 DE do not rely on speed or their quickness, so Smith will be good for a couple more years. Hampton and his weight are a concern as he gets older. Harrison is in his prime and is in obvious great shape. Hines never relied on his speed to get open, though he would be better served as a 3rd wr in another year. Ben, Holmes, Woodley, Timmons, Taylor, McFadden, Miller, Clark and Troy is a very good young nucleus. And if Mendenhall and Sweed and Bruce Davis can progess in year 2 like Woodley, Timmons and Troy have then we should be looking pretty good. We really do need an injection of youth on both lines.

:towelwave:

I do think they could have a team that gets old fast. I think we need some OL and secondary help.
I agree, don't forget Kiesel is 30, they need to inject some youth into the D line for sure. They have Gay at the DB position, Sweed at WR and Davis at OLB so they have some youth at the other postions...

:towelwave:I do think they could have a team that gets old fast. I think we need some OL and secondary help.
Resign McFadden and Townsend is just a nickel back. 3-4 DE do not rely on speed or their quickness, so Smith will be good for a couple more years. Hampton and his weight are a concern as he gets older. Harrison is in his prime and is in obvious great shape. Hines never relied on his speed to get open, though he would be better served as a 3rd wr in another year. Ben, Holmes, Woodley, Timmons, Taylor, McFadden, Miller, Clark and Troy is a very good young nucleus. And if Mendenhall and Sweed and Bruce Davis can progess in year 2 like Woodley, Timmons and Troy have then we should be looking pretty good. We really do need an injection of youth on both lines.
:towelwave:

Steelers victory is Painful

IT'S bad enough that the Browns are bad. But it's who is good that makes it even worse.

The Steelers, who seem to go to the Super Bowl about as often as the Browns change coaches, have done it again. Not just gone to the Super Bowl, but won it.

Again.

Won it with a linebacker from Kent State scoring a touchdown on a 100-yard interception return. Won it with a quarterback from Miami of Ohio throwing the game winning touchdown pass to a receiver from Ohio State.

Why doesn't Dan Rooney just hire some roving bands of steelworkers to invade Cleveland with a bunch of sharp sticks and poke each and every Browns fan in the eye?

I mean, really. Can it get any worse than this?

While Browns fans are still trying to figure out the proper pronunciation of "Kokinis'' — and whether it's even worth the trouble — there was a parade in downtown Pittsburgh Tuesday that was expected to draw upwards of a quarter of a million people.

Hint: it wasn't for the unveiling of a new ketchup bottle.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention one other thing, not that you needed reminding. The team the Steelers beat to GET to the Super Bowl was the Browns. No, not these Browns, THOSE Browns. The old Browns. The former Browns. The Browns team that was hijacked out of Cleveland, whereupon the city had to wait three empty years for. . . for. . . THESE Browns.

Other than that, how do you like the decade so far?

All of which raises the question: When exactly will Browns fans stop buying tickets? How long do these Browns have to be this bad before people say "that's enough this'' and stay home?

When the Indians finished their run of division titles after 2001 and began to rebuild, the automatic sellouts at then-Jacobs Field instantly disappeared. Home attendance went from 3.1 million in 2001 to 2.6 in 2002 to 1.7 in 2003.

The year before LeBron James fell into their lap the Cavs were last in the NBA in attendance. Since James arrived and the team got good, the Cavs have, in successive years finished 29th, 9th, 6th, 5th, 3rd, and 3rd in the NBA in attendance.

In other words, in baseball and basketball, Cleveland fans behave the way most fans behave. They show up when the team is good and they don't when the team is bad.

But not in football.

Browns fans show up religiously for every home game, no matter how bad the team is. From this we can draw only one of two conclusions: Browns fans are either incredibly loyal or hopelessly foolish.

In the last 16 years the Browns have had losing records in 13 of them. In 10 of those 16 years the Browns have lost 10 or more games. Yet in none of those 16 years have the fans stopped coming.

It's been sellout after sellout after sellout. Like the swallows returning to Capistrano.

Is tailgating really THAT much fun?

That's got to be it, right? It can't be the football. For the most part the football has ranged from bad to inept to unwatchable.

Yet it's sellout after sellout after sellout.

In what other business could a company consistently provide its customers with such an inferior product and still be assured that the customers would continue buying it, year after year after year?

We should all be so lucky as to own a company such as that.

All of which is not to question the sanity of Browns fans. I mean it's not like they have a choice. You live in Cleveland? You like NFL football? Well, here's your team. Take it or leave it. Browns fans take it, and hope for the best.

Meanwhile, the team they USED to have was the second best team in the AFC this year. And the team they USED to beat — all right, you have to go back to the 1960s to prove it — are the Super Bowl champs. Again.

Where's the breaking point? When does the honeymoon end? When do the Browns reach the point where they are so bad for so long that their fans eventually lose interest and wander off in search of other activities on Sunday afternoons in the fall?

We may find out next season. Given the economy, given the more appealing products at Quicken Loans Arena and Progressive Field, given the Browns' long run of failure, and given, in particular, the organization's embarrassing performance over the last 12 months, will 2009 be the year when Browns fans stop writing checks and finally say "no mas''?

You couldn't blame them if they do.

Or you could admire them if they don't.

To be consistent with Mike Tomlin the word "defending" should be removed from the title and that and "repeat" should not be used in the thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mel Kiper's chat today:

Jon, Pittsburgh: The Steelers didn't really address their OL problem in last years draft, I can't imagine taking a skilled player in the first 2 rounds again, so who do youi see them going after in Rd.1?

Mel Kiper: (1:32 PM ET ) Last year they took Rashard Mendenhall. He'll be like a bonus pick this year because he's coming off of an injury. Limas Sweed had a big drop against Baltimore. I look at Alex Mack, he had a good Senior Bowl week. I saw some people ranking Max Unger ahead of Mack. He's clearly the best center in the draft and has been. Mack gives you some versatility. I think Alex Mack, if he's still there, that's who I've targeted the Steelers to take.

SI Cover & Article

February 09, 2009

The Steelers! Are Super!

In a pulse-pounding showdown that will rank among the NFL's classic championship games, the Steelers broke the Cardinals' hearts to earn a record sixth Lombardi Trophy and evoke memories of Pittsburgh's title teams of old

DAMON HACK

BY MIDNIGHT half the team was dressed in white Pittsburgh Steelers bathrobes, their fingerprints mucking up a sixth Vince Lombardi Trophy, their cigars burning smoky and sweet. After one of the greatest Super Bowls ever played, wide receiver Santonio Holmes wiped tears from his eyes, owner Dan Rooney pulled on a championship baseball cap and linebacker James Harrison asked if he could fall asleep right there on the locker room floor. Among the quietest in the group was the quarterback, Ben Roethlisberger, who slipped out of the room alone, his robe covering his civilian clothes, the ball with which he knelt to close out Pittsburgh's heart-stopping 27--23 victory over the Arizona Cardinals in Super Bowl XLIII cradled in his left arm.

Three years ago Roethlisberger barely felt a part of the Steelers' fifth Super Bowl title, his play had been so erratic in the victory over the Seattle Seahawks. The football world knew: Pittsburgh had won Super Bowl XL in spite of him. So what does a quarterback think about when he's back in the NFL's showcase game, when his opposite, Kurt Warner, has just found Larry Fitzgerald for a 64-yard touchdown, when his devoted fan base is aching and the clock is ticking down? "Do or die," said Roethlisberger, waiting by the team buses in the Tampa night, recounting his thoughts in the huddle before the Steelers' game-winning drive. "I've said it all along: I want the ball in my hands."

If Harrison's 100-yard interception return can lay claim to being the most remarkable defensive play in 43 Super Bowls, this game will be remembered as well for Roethlisberger's arm, Holmes's tiptoes and the crowning of Pittsburgh as the NFL's marquee franchise of the Super Bowl era.

It will also be recalled as the night Roethlisberger ascended to the cusp of greatness by winning his second Super Bowl at age 26. Trailing 23--20 after the Warner-to-Fitzgerald hookup late in the fourth quarter, Roethlisberger walked onto the field and into the pivotal moment of his career.

Leadership has not always been Roethlisberger's strength, despite his success as the Steelers' starter. As a rookie in 2004 he joined a team stacked with veterans—Hines Ward, Jerome Bettis, Alan Faneca—and had trouble asserting an authoritative voice. While he overcame the deficits in his game with an improvisational flair, a motorcycle accident in June '06 altered his life's trajectory.

Riding his Suzuki Hayabusa through downtown Pittsburgh without a helmet, he collided with a Chrysler New Yorker, sustaining several serious injuries, including broken bones in his face that required two-inch titanium plates and screws to repair. The accident lent him a new perspective. Now, he says, "it's a trophy to be alive every day."

Says Ward, "When he steps into the huddle, it's his team. When he steps into the huddle, all eyes are on him."

Roethlisberger's style is not always pretty, which may be why he has developed a kinship with his much-maligned offensive line. Though he was sacked 46 times in the regular season, second-most in the league, Roethlisberger time and again has gone out of his way to defend the men in front of him. Super Bowl week was no different. On the Tuesday before the game he treated his blockers to dinner at P.F. Chang's in Tampa's trendy Westshore Plaza, where the group occupied four tables in the middle of the bustling restaurant. Over fried rice and crispy honey chicken, the men spoke about the past and the future. "We talked about how far we had come and where we wanted to end up," said second-year right guard Darnell Stapleton. Added third-year right tackle Willie Colon, "We said we can't go back to Pittsburgh without [the trophy]."

When the group huddled with 2:30 remaining in the fourth quarter, Colon said, they looked at one another and smiled. What they had talked about at dinner was now in their control. Roethlisberger spoke up: "It's now or never."

Holmes also felt the weight of the moment. "Ben," he told his quarterback, "I want the ball in my hands no matter what."

His quarterback obliged. From the Pittsburgh 12-yard line, Roethlisberger lined up in the shotgun and masterfully directed his charges downfield, pump-faking and shifting in the pocket as his linemen held their ground. On first-and-20 he hit Holmes for 14 yards. On third-and-six, he found Holmes for 13 more. Three plays later from the Cardinals' 46, Roethlisberger spotted Holmes open about 10 yards downfield. The third-year wideout took the short pass, spun to his left and raced to the Arizona six.

First-and-goal, 48 seconds to play. Roethlisberger dropped back and whistled a pass to the back of the end zone that slipped through the leaping Holmes's hands.

On the next play, with the Steelers' line keeping the Cardinals' rush at bay, Roethlisberger had time to run through his progression. His first read, running back Willie Parker, was covered in the flat. His second option, receiver Nate Washington, also had too many red jerseys around him. So Roethlisberger looked to his third option, Holmes, and saw him racing to the right corner of the end zone. Three defenders were in front of the receiver, but Roethlisberger fired the ball anyway, high and outside. Holmes snagged it with his fingertips and touched the grass with both sets of outstretched toes. His fourth catch of the drive and ninth reception of the night was the game-winner—and good enough to make Holmes the Super Bowl MVP.

"[Roethlisberger] put it where only Tone could have caught it," said Pittsburgh offensive coordinator Bruce Arians on the field after the game. He then drew some parallels to Steelers past. "Tone is Swann, Hines is Stallworth—and don't forget, we got a Bradshaw, too. Ben showed that tonight."

IF HOLMES, Ward and Roethlisberger recall Lynn Swann, John Stallworth and Terry Bradshaw from the four-time champs of the '70s, coach Mike Tomlin is the ideal successor to Chuck Noll and Bill Cowher. In the swirling story lines of Super Bowl week—among them his own showdown with Cardinals coach Ken Whisenhunt and assistant Russ Grimm, two former Steelers staffers who'd been in contention for the Pittsburgh job in 2007—Tomlin kept his players both focused and loose. It was the continuation of his imprint on the Steelers brand.

To understand how he became, at 36, the youngest coach to win a Super Bowl, draw a direct line to Pittsburgh's wild-card loss at home to Jacksonville one year ago. That the Steelers had cracked at Heinz Field in the postseason, in familiar wintry conditions, stung badly. Some veterans felt Tomlin's coaching style that first year—long practices, banging in pads—had burned out his players before the Jaguars game. "Last year against Jacksonville," said Colon, "we kind of crawled into that game."

Said 12th-year linebacker James Farrior, "We all understand that when you're coming in as a new coach, you have to do it your way. We didn't like it sometimes, and it was tough sometimes, but it was something we had to deal with. This year [he's known] when to push our buttons and when to lay off. When he gives us breaks, we all feel like we have to uphold the responsibility and not be the guy who goes out and gets in trouble. He's a hard-nosed coach, but he gives us that [leeway] to go out and do the things we love to do, and he doesn't really put restrictions on us. We love him for that."

Ward was one of several veterans whom Tomlin excused from Wednesday practices during the season. That was a nod to the trust that developed between the young coach and his players. Still, Tomlin does not apologize for his firm hand. "I'm committed to winning," he said last week. "I'm committed to playing a brand of football that I believe in. It's a physical game. You win by attrition. You impose your will on your opponent. That's what I want our [game] tape to look like."

Not that Tomlin won't occasionally sprinkle in some humor. On the Friday before the Steelers arrived in Tampa, Harrison and cornerback Bryant McFadden were goofing off in the locker room, standing nose-to-nose in a stare-down as their teammates cheered them on. Soon Tomlin joined the group, hooting and hollering as boisterously as his players.

Once the Steelers arrived in Tampa, they seemed at ease both on the practice field and in the crush of media. On Wednesday, Roethlisberger brought a video camera to Harrison's podium and pointed it at the NFL's Defensive Player of the Year.

"Uh, Mr. Harrison, do you like to beat up cameramen?" the quarterback asked.

"Only if it's Ben Roethlisberger," Harrison replied.

While some coaches shield their players as much as possible from distractions during the buildup to the Super Bowl, Tomlin invited 250 of the Steelers' friends and relatives to watch Pittsburgh's 38-minute walkthrough on the day before the game. Among the attendees was the Reverend Jesse Jackson, who also found his way into the team's postgame celebration.

"He has [the players'] mothers, fathers, grandparents, uncles and aunts to build a community," Jackson said of Tomlin. "At his age, he has a rapport with his players that is unusual. Because he's so young, his genius is covered up."

But its effects are evident—especially on defense, where Tomlin's Steelers create the same mayhem as always. He and coordinator **** LeBeau ask for versatility from their players, and the pass-rushing Harrison epitomizes that. A special-teamer on the Super Bowl XL team, Harrison, 30, has emerged as one of the NFL's hardest defenders to scheme against. All night he disrupted Arizona's plans, forcing left tackle Mike Gandy into three holding penalties and, with fellow linebackers Farrior, Larry Foote and LaMarr Woodley, putting near-constant pressure on Warner.

But the league's No. 1 defense still had problems against the Cardinals, thanks to their array of elusive receivers and backs, and to the poise of their 37-year-old quarterback. All week Warner had been the vision of calm, carrying a note from his 17-year-old daughter, Jesse, in the front sleeve of his playbook: "Dad, I just wanted to let you know how proud I am of you. I'm so thankful and honored to be your daughter. I'll be praying for you. You deserve everything you want and probably more. I love you so much. Go Cards! Love, Jesse."

Warner carried those thoughts onto the field, coolly connecting with second and third options when the Steelers stacked their coverage against Fitzgerald. For most of the first half Pittsburgh flip-flopped cornerback Ike Taylor and safety Troy Polamalu, giving Fitzgerald several looks at the line of scrimmage. Warner adjusted, riding Anquan Boldin and Steve Breaston in the opening quarters and cutting Pittsburgh's lead to 10--7 on a one-yard pass to Ben Patrick.

Then came a critical turning point. After Roethlisberger was intercepted on a pass deflection, Warner moved the Cardinals into position to score again in the waning moments of the first half. With Arizona on the Pittsburgh one and 18 seconds remaining, Harrison dropped into coverage rather than coming on the rush and stepped right into the path of Warner's pass to Boldin. Taking off down the right sideline, he dodged Warner, Fitzgerald, Breaston, Gandy, tight end Leonard Pope, guard Reggie Wells and the churning legs of his own teammates. When Fitzgerald and Breaston finally caught Harrison short of the goal line, the linebacker did a somersault over Fitzgerald, landing on his head to score the touchdown. For several long moments Harrison lay on his back, palms up, toes pointing skyward. Tomlin headed for the end zone, where he helped Harrison to his feet and walked him off the field, an arm draped over the linebacker's shoulder. "It was tiring," Harrison said of his historic run, "but it was all worth it."

AT HALFTIME, Tomlin gathered his players. He talked about embracing the moment and honoring the legacy of the players who'd come before, players like Swann and Bettis, both of whom were on the field before kickoff. There were reminders of Steelers football everywhere in Tampa. Tens of thousands of towel-waving, black-and-gold-clad fans had descended upon the area, escaping a harsh winter and a harsh economy for a few days at least. And while Super Bowl week might have been subdued, the football on the field was both familiar and magical.

Harrison's mad dash recalled Franco Harris's Immaculate Reception. Holmes and Ward channeled the dramatics of Swann and Stallworth. Tomlin's jaw was as firm-set as his predecessor's. Roethlisberger pulled halfway to Bradshaw's four rings with a mettle that, like Bradshaw's, might not be truly appreciated until after he's gone.

As for trophy number 6, which set Pittsburgh apart from five-time winners Dallas and San Francisco, it was still being manhandled far beyond midnight.

"You all passed the sticky Lombardi around? I ain't even touched it!" Tomlin yelled before heading to the buses.

Soon the Lombardi Trophy would be making its way to western Pennsylvania, where it would be driven across town, over the Hot Metal Bridge, down South Water Street and dropped off at the third building on the right.

It is there that the coach's office sits close to a trophy case that is about to grow larger. Where a dynasty born in a long-ago winter is young again.

Free agency is next parade

Super Bowl the aftermath

Thursday, February 05, 2009

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

James Harrison helped bring back the big trophy. Now, will he get the big contract?And now, back to the reality of preparing for another football season.

The Super Bowl victory celebration will be put on hold for at least a small group of people today when the Steelers' coaching staff and scouts gather at their UPMC training center to map their plans for free agency.

The next football parade involving Steelers will be those who pass through their doors starting Feb. 27, when free agency begins.

As usual, the Steelers must make some difficult decisions not only on which of their free agents they will try to keep and how much to offer them and those on other teams they want to pitch, but also which of their players under contract in 2009 they might want to extend deals and which ones they might want to let go.

Joey Porter was under contract two years ago right until the time the Steelers released him to save about $5 million and make room for James Harrison at outside linebacker.

Now Harrison has one year left on his contract and the two sides have talked about a new one. Harrison, the NFL's defensive player of the year whose stunning 100-yard interception return helped the Steelers win Super Bowl XLIII, is in for a huge raise in pay.

"I was hoping we'd get $100," his Pittsburgh agent, Bill Parise, said with a laugh yesterday from Honolulu, where he joined Harrison for this week's Pro Bowl activities.

Harrison, who signed his current contract before the 2006 season when he was a backup linebacker, has been among the game's best bargains the past two years, perhaps the best. He earned a $1.2 million salary the past season and $1.1 million in 2007, his first as a starter. He led them in sacks both years and set their record with 16 this season. He is set to make $1.4 million next season. Those figures do not include any incentives he might have picked up.

"We have had discussions, not negotiated, but we have talked," Parise said. "I think the Steelers and I are on the same page. We don't think there will be any issues. My goal and, I think, theirs is the same. We know what we need to do and we'll both go about the business of trying to get it done."

Parise believes a deal can be wrapped up fairly quickly.

"I'm not worried about the Steelers at all. Their history shows they do the right thing at the right time."

The Steelers have many players in Harrison's spot, entering the final years of their contracts, and most of them likely want extensions. Traditionally, the Steelers look to negotiate extensions before a player enters the final year of his deal, but they don't do it with all of those players.

The list involves more big-name players than their pending free agents. Among other starters or longtime veterans with one year left on their contracts are wide receiver Hines Ward, defensive end Brett Keisel, tight end Heath Miller, safety Ryan Clark, kicker Jeff Reed, nose tackle Casey Hampton, cornerback Deshea Townsend and linebacker Larry Foote.

No doubt, they will try to extend the contracts of some.

"He certainly merits consideration'' said Keisel's agent, Eric Metz.

They will have to make tougher decisions on others.

For example, Larry Foote could be this year's Porter. He has one year left on a contract that will pay him $2,885,000, not outlandish for a starting linebacker. However, he has Lawrence Timmons behind him, and the No. 1 draft choice in 2007 is ready to start. Do they keep Foote one more year at that salary, even if they promote Timmons to that spot? Ask him to take a cut, and release him if he does not? Sources close to Foote say he will not accept a cut in pay.

Foote is a good man to have around, and with Timmons gave the Steelers plenty of flexibility at linebacker. This also is a team that paid Max Starks $6.9 million as a "backup" and look how that turned out.

All that does not even count their unrestricted free agents: Starks, Bryant McFadden, Marvel Smith, Nate Washington, Chris Kemoeatu, Trai Essex, Charlie Batch, Byron Leftwich, Keyaron Fox, Andre Frazier, Orpheus Roye, Mitch Berger and Fernando Bryant.

Some, like Berger, won't receive an offer. Some won't receive one until they look at other offers in free agency. Some will receive offers before Feb. 27.

The Steelers also must decide which restricted free agents to offer tenders and how much. The most notable is starting right tackle Willie Colon.

Ed Bouchette can be reached at ebouchette@post-gazette.com.

First published on February 5, 2009 at 12:00 am

Steelers chat transcript, Ed Bouchette

Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Ed Bouchette: We interrupt the Super Bowl parade to bring you this chat. Not surprisingly, there aren't as many here as normal. You're either at the parade or watching it on TV. We'll try to chat while watching.

Happy_Will_from_Freehold__NJ: Ed, WHAT A GAME!! I have to hand it to Bruce Arians, I loved the play calling on the first two drives of the game and, of course, the game-winner. How do you feel his play-calling was overall?

Ed Bouchette: Overall, I thought Bruce did a good job all season. Many thought he should have used the I formation more and run it more, but as you saw at the goalline Sunday, just because you want to line up and run it does not mean you can. He did well with what he had and recognized he had No. 7 and wanted to emphasize his talents.

Happy_Will_from_Freehold__NJ: Was James Harrison's INT return for a TD the greatest defensive play ever in a Super Bowl? If not, who's #1?

Ed Bouchette: I'm trying to find a better OFFENSIVE play? Yes, it was the best defensive play, by far.

UKsteelersFAN: Hi,British Steeler fan since 84 I,d like to know,With a few changes in certain areas in the forthcoming draft,Do you think this team will do a perfect season and go unbeaten and be better than the 70,s Steelers?

Ed Bouchette: Whooa, let's not get carried away. Perfect seasons mean little unless you follow through in the big game. Ask the Patriots. I will look ahead in later chats.

Steeler_Fan_In_Cen_CA: Ed, in your opinion, which Steelers won't be back next year?

Ed Bouchette: Byron Leftwich. there are others but I'm not sure who might take a Steelers offer before they get the chance to entertain others. Marvel Smith has a decision to make. So, too, Bryant McFadden and Nate Washington.

gostiller: Ed, How do you feel the game was officiated? Inevitably, some folks are complaining about the officiating saying it was slanted to the Steelers favor.

Ed Bouchette: I don't think it was slanted either way. I just thought the officials capped off a bad year with a real stinker in the Super Bowl, making bad calls both ways as well as non-calls.

Kudos_Ed_: Ed, Much of the Steelers success is attributed to their incredible fan base. The Steeler nation is second to none. Why, because we have the most articulate, educated, passionate and demanding fans of any sports team. I truly believe that these fans learn, grow and are inspired by your hard work ? especially these chats. So Ed, from those of us at the center of the Steeler Nation ? THANK YOU FOR A GREAT SEASON!!

Ed Bouchette: My face is red. Oh, that's the burn I got in Tampa.

praveen: I am not trying to be a homer. But I think refs missed the celebration by Holmes because refs usually look out for props immediately after the TD. Holmes was sitting on the turf for quite a while. He did his silly act once the official replay was underway. And what was Farrior thinking with his stupid penalty at the end? He is supposed to be a veteran leader.

Ed Bouchette: A few players did seem to go temporarily insane and got away with it.

Katmandu: Ed, a rules question. When Fitzgerald brought down Harrison over the goal line, I just noticed that he ran the last 30 yards or so while out of bounds. Shouldn't he have been in bounds to avoid a penalty? What if he had brought down Harrison short of the goal line? Has anyone else brought this up?

Ed Bouchette: Yes, many are. He definitely ran out of bounds, came in and tackled him. It should have been a penalty, a moot point perhaps but if he had tackled him short of the goalline it would have become one big issue. I noticed an official right there along the sideline who could not have missed it either. Just another case, as I said, of one poorly officiated football game. The NFL better recognized that its officials are getting worse or they will have a credibility problem.

themesh: Ed, What is the argument in the room that keeps Dawson out of the HOF?

Ed Bouchette: Well, this was the first time he made the room in his fourth year of eligibility. I thought that was an important step because he finally was discussed during the meeting. I think it went a long way to making sure he returns as a finalist and a case can be built for him as we go along, much as it worked for Derrick Thomas in his fifth year of eligibility.

bg_steel: Hi Ed, Super Bowl Champs! Which play was better the Harrison pick 6 or Santonio's shoe tapper TD?

Ed Bouchette: Is there a need to pick one over the other? They were both special plays, both necessary for them to win and both among the top 5 in Super Bowl history, in my opinion.

Tprod: Ed, is there a bias against Rothlisberger? Last year, he throws for 32 TD against only 11 picks, and Harrison is voted team MVP. Holmes made a simply marvelous catch, but with that porous offensive line what other QB would have been able to keep plays alive and get the ball to Holmes. Rothlisberger should have been at least co-MVP.

Ed Bouchette: I voted for James Harrison.

Heinzy: Hey Ed, do you think Hines can get 1000 receptions before his career is over?

Ed Bouchette: Keep playing, keep catching, stay away from injury. He needs at least 3 more seasons.

yzguy431: Ed -- despite the victory, this team has some holes to fill, what do you think the biggest need is?

Ed Bouchette: Offensive linemen. All positions.

Tprod: Ed, Is Larry Foote a cap casualty? Steelers save almost 3 million if he is released or traded.

Ed Bouchette: Sadly, I think he will be. They have Lawrence Timmons behind him and I don't think Larry will take less if they ask. He's long been one of my favorite players in that locker room.

praveen: I am tired of all the whining by other teams fans about Pittsburgh being helped by the refs, especially Seahwaks fans. They lost by ELEVEN points. Steelers had their share of ticky tacky and bad calls over the years and lost by a lot less. If the refs were biased, why would they call that holding inthe end zone?

Ed Bouchette: Don't think about it too much. I believe fans in Houston still complain about the AFC title game in 3 rivers stadium.

hinestheman: Daniel Stapelton seemed to have been the weak link in the somewhat decent OL performance... Will be be a back up next year?

Ed Bouchette: Darnell. He did not have a very good game. But he is young, a second-year, undrafted player from Rutgers. He'll be back, and it depends if they find some other linemen where he might be on the depth chart.

Katmandu: Ed, when do the Steelers hear about what compensatory picks they will receive in April's draft? Given their losses from last year (Faneca, for example), I would expect a few picks. Your thoughts?

Ed Bouchette: March, usually.

scottv007: Ed, with James Harrison's contract situation still up in the air, do you think his performance in the Super Bowl will keep him in Pittsburgh? I need to know if I should buy a Harrison jersey or not!

Ed Bouchette: I would go buy one.

Taz: Ed, who has the best hair on the team? Troy, Chris Kemoeatu, or Jeff Reed?

Ed Bouchette: I'm jealous of them all, except for Jeff's. He's no blonde.

Heinzy: Is Deshea Townsend sticking around for another year?

Ed Bouchette: I would think you'll see him return. Good corners are hard to find and they could lose Bryant McFadden to free agency.

Lefty: Ed, do you think the Steelers will find a good offensive or defensive lineman with their first pick or will they fool everyone and draft a WR?

Ed Bouchette: Or a punter.

Chunkles: What an amazing turn out for the parade. Here are two thought about the SB. One, I'm glad Mitch Berger didnt lose the game, two, I'm surprised Troy was not that effective. Do the Steelers find a goal line back?

Ed Bouchette: That was 3. I'm not sure they need a goalline back as they do a goallineman or two.

KS_Steeler: Ed; great article today -- best super bowl you ever saw?

Ed Bouchette: Yes, because it involved the Steelers and I cover them. I will say the first two New England played were exciting, and good to the end, as was last year's. But no back and forth like this one in the fourth quarter. We almost had a comeback for the ages by Arizona, then a Montana-like drive by the Steelers. Throw in Harrison's TD and it all added up to the most exciting, for me.

Silverback: Were you surprised that Tomlin opted for the FG on that first possession? What would you have done?

Ed Bouchette: Extremely surprised, especially how he coached down the stretch, very aggressively. I have not had a chance to ask him about that yet. Perhaps he had a premonition that they could not score at the one, it certainly came through later. By the way, did you realize the Steelers had as much success scoring touchdowns when the Cardinals had the ball at their one as when the Steelers had the ball at Arizona's one?

hinestheman: Ed, was Hines as healthy as he stated? He made some nice blocks and 2 very nice catches, but he always shows up big in big game.... injury related or it's just the way the game unfolded?

Ed Bouchette: I can't tell you how healthy he was. Only Hines might know.

Drive_for_seven: Ed, after the Euphoria started to wear off, you think Tomlin had a talk with Harrison (personal foul) and Holmes (football prop) about possibly costing the steelers the game

Ed Bouchette: I would bet Tomlin gets his point across one day with a little jab or joke.

Tprod: Ed, was a coverage blown on Fritzgerald long touchdown play? Expecting Ike to cover Fritzgerald on an slant with no inside or deep help seemed suicidal.

Ed Bouchette: The Steelers had 2 deep safeties covering. They chose to cover two out patterns, which left the middle wide open. I would say, yes, they erred.

hinestheman: Last question Ed.... Is there now any doubt about 1) who the best franchise in sports is? and 2) who the best QB out of the 2004 class is?

Ed Bouchette: Yes, I think there is doubt who the best franchise is. I mean, I will take the Steelers but there are some pretty good ones out there such as the Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers, NY Giants, Celtics, Lakers. Notice, they are all in some of the biggest metro areas, too.

themesh: Ed, What did the Steelers do differently in the fourth quarter that allowed the Cardinals to get so many big plays?

Ed Bouchette: I think it was something the Cardinals did -- or did not do in the first three quarters. What, they suddenly discovered Larry Fitzgerald? I said by halftime I would have been throwing to him if he were quadruple covered. Did you notice Santonio Holmes caught the winning score with 3 cardinals in the area? Duh.

bg_steel: Ed, How high is Tomlin on your Steelers all-time coaching list?

Ed Bouchette: I really don't have an all-time Steelers coaching list, and If I did I'd have only three on it. I've covered all three and Chuck Noll has a special place. I did believe Mike Tomlin was special the day I met him.

Steeler_Fan_In_Cen_CA: Ed, in your opinion, what's the problem with short yardage situations, talent, O-line or play calling?

Ed Bouchette: They've tried calling virtually everything down there. I believe they must get better in the line, but they also have to come up with some better strategy down there.

Happy_Will_from_Freehold__NJ: I felt that Ben's rushing TD should NOT have been over-turned. Do you feel there was enough "Visual Evidence" to overturn it? It sure looked like there was some space between his knee and the ground.

Ed Bouchette: I thought it was a TD that should not have been overturned. Maybe by looking at the replay they THOUGHT his knee hit the ground, but there was not enough proof in the replays I saw and the rules say there has to be proof.

Happy_Will_from_Freehold__NJ: Do you feel this is Tomlin's team or did he win because it was Cowher's team?

Ed Bouchette: It's a team in transition, but make no mistake, this is Mike Tomlin's team.

njohnston89: Ed, do you think the need for a blockbuster O-lineman is enough for the Steelers to consider trading up if any fall in the draft?

Ed Bouchette: It depends on the lineman, and what it costs. You can get good linemen beyond the first round.

bye-bye: Did you catch any of Whisenhunt's post-game comments. Did not seem to give the Steelers too much credit and a little blaming the refs (nothing like Holgrem, of course).

Ed Bouchette: I did not think Whis really blamed the refs. I thought he was classy.

hinestheman: Ed -- not sure if we'll have another chat or if this was it... But thank you for for your insignt in the last few months, thank you for your sense of humour and scarcasm... Always looked forward to Tuesdays.... GO STEELERS!!

Ed Bouchette: I'm not sure either. They kind of grew on me. But, please, don't let that out.

steelman43: Ed-I know you are not a big fan of the Supulveda pick, shouldn't we feel better about him over Berger next year?

Ed Bouchette: Yes, and I'd like to straighten this out. I was not a fan of them spending so much on a punter. However, I think Daniel Sepulveda will be a good punter in this league. It's nothing to do with him. Also, did not the Steelers just prove you can win a Super Bowl without a great punter, although I thought Mitch did a nice job Sunday. It's not his fault that he's 37 and had hamstring problems.

Paul_Kutcher: Ed, what do you think Myron Cope is thinking?

Ed Bouchette: Mmmmmm, Ha!

sinmusic: Ed, Did you get your free Grand Slam meal from Denny's today?

Ed Bouchette: Denny who?

Paul_Kutcher: The single most significant thing missed by all of the media is the mystical nature of how Myron Cope was able to control the Super Bowl from above. The Terrible Towl reared its power in Raymond James Stadium at the end of the first half as it guided Kurt Warner's pass into the hands of James Harrison. It cleared a path for the Kent State Flash past the Cardinal bench all the way to the endzone, just barely allowing the Steelers to score as time ran out. Then, Cope put his hand on the shoulder of Big Ben on the final drive when it looked as if the ship was sinking. With a wink in his eye, the dimunitive Cope guided Ben's final pass over the outstretched arms of Cardinal defenders and into the hands of Santonio Holmes. He made sure Holmes feet were anchored in bounds with enough room for replay cameras to confirm the doom had come for the bird. Finally, as time was running out, Cope prevent Warner's arm from going forward while being sacked to assure a fumble to end the game.

Ed Bouchette: Wow. I posted that just so people can't say my chat was too short. I hope you did not say anything bad in there.

gostillers: Do players on IR (Batch, Mendenhall, Simmons, etc) get a SB ring?

Ed Bouchette: yes

Gairzo: Did anyone but me notice there almost no shots of the crowd during the game? Goodell didn't want to show a sea of Terrible Towels. To a point I understand tha, but first Goodell denies the largest fan base its due THEN rips off the most recognizable fan symbol in American sports with the "Trophy Towel" Your thoughts?

Ed Bouchette: I don't think Roger was in the production booth.

gostillers: Ed, do you think Warner's first called fumble (replay reversed) was a fumble or arm moving forward?

Ed Bouchette: I thought it was a fumble, but I can see how they reversed it on replay.

hinestheman: Ed, the last 3 games seemed to have been a turning point in Santonio Holmes' career... where he went from good receiver to an elite receiver.... do you agree?

Ed Bouchette: yes

Steeler_Fan_In_Cen_CA: Ed, I won't use the R-word, but can the Steelers successfully defend their Super Bowl title?

Ed Bouchette: That is why we will await the 2009 season with such eagerness.

Ed Bouchette: Thank you all for this Super chat. If this were a parade, I would throw kisses to you all. We need our own song.

Complacent? Not these Steelers

The Steelers won Super Bowl XLIII four days ago. Plenty of time for some well-deserved celebrating and merriment at the conclusion of a long season. Good times for all.

Time's up, fellows.

Now get back to work.

This weekend, Super Bowl MVP Santonio Holmes and some of his teammates are expected to attend the Walt Disney Wide World of Sports Complex, training under the direction of speed and conditioning coach Tom Shaw. They'll assist with the development of potential NFL draft picks while also beginning their offseason workouts.

Cornerbacks Ike Taylor and Bryant McFadden, an unrestricted free agent, will join Holmes, with defensive captain James Farrior traveling to Florida after playing in Sunday's Pro Bowl in Hawaii.

So much for Super Bowl complacency setting in among the Steelers.

"A lot of guys," Shaw said, "start feeling sorry for themselves: 'It's been a long season. My shoulders hurt.' You can't do that. You've got to get right back into it."

Holmes -- who trained with Shaw last offseason and, like Taylor, has a home in the Orlando, Fla., area to be closer to the Disney complex -- caught the winning touchdown pass in Super Bowl XLIII in the game's final minute.

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said Holmes' superior conditioning made him a better player. Holmes had nine receptions for 131 yards against Arizona in the Steelers' 27-23 win and scored three touchdowns in the postseason.

"I think it started with (last) offseason," Tomlin said. "He came in great physical condition, much better than he was in '07. This is a guy who has a desire to be great. He's willing to do what it takes to make it happen."

Holmes, Taylor and Farrior all enjoyed their best seasons with the Steelers.

Taylor was named a Pro Bowl alternate and provided tough one-on-one coverage against Arizona's Larry Fitzgerald, holding him to one reception through the first three quarters of Super Bowl XLIII.

Farrior, 34, led the team in tackles for the fifth time in six seasons and was named to his second Pro Bowl.

"A lot of guys not only look to (Farrior) in terms of how they prepare to play football games, but how to prepare over a 12-month calendar," Tomlin said. "This is a guy who is in great condition 12 months a year, takes a couple of weeks off, and then gets back about the business of preparing himself for the next one. Guys followed that model."

Several players had dinner with Shaw in Tampa the week prior to Super Bowl XLIII. NFL Defensive Player of the Year James Harrison, starting inside linebacker Larry Foote, cornerbacks Deshea Townsend and Anthony Madison, and safety Tyrone Carter all made plans to train with Shaw this offseason.

"Quite a few guys said they were coming down," Shaw said. "That's the big thing. You start getting more and more guys because they see the results."

Don Banks

INSIDE THE NFL

Sports Illustrated

Steelers' future solid, top players have youth to keep team among elite

Pittsburgh plays weaker AFC West and NFC North in 2009

With Ben Roethlisberger and Mike Tomlin still early in their careers, the Steelers should be a Super Bowl threat for years to come.

TAMPA -- Fresh off a win that featured, at the very least, the most compelling fourth quarter in Super Bowl history, and earned them an NFL-record sixth Vince Lombardi Trophy, the Pittsburgh Steelers find themselves in pretty solid position to keep the good times rolling.

The Steelers just became the second team to win multiple rings this decade, joining the three-time winning Patriots, and with 2009 remaining, they've got a shot to match New England's hardware collection and fully thrust themselves into the team of the decade discussion.

The reasons for all the black-and-gold optimism are obvious: quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, at 26, already owns two rings in his first five NFL seasons, a feat topped only by Tom Brady's three Super Bowl wins in his opening five years. Mike Tomlin, 36, became the youngest Super Bowl-winning head coach in history and looks headed for one of those typically long coaching tenures in Pittsburgh. And the Steelers just might have discovered a potential No. 1 receiver to replace Hines Ward someday soon in Super Bowl MVP Santonio Holmes, who's just 24 and a veteran of three NFL seasons.

Throw in the likes of 27-year-old safety Troy Polamalu, 24-year-old linebacker LaMarr Woodley, and fifth-year veteran linebacker James Harrison, who's only 30, and Pittsburgh's top-ranked defense has foundational rocks that should keep it among the league's elite for the foreseeable future.

As for the surprising Arizona Cardinals, whose Super Bowl trip was as stunning a development as anyone could recall, they hold the distinction of being the eighth different NFC champion in the past eight years, so feel free to predict their future bearing that remarkable statistic in mind.

With the long NFL season over, the offseason has officially begun for all 32 teams. Here's a snapshot look at how the two Super Bowl teams stand as they head into the personnel acquisition phase of the NFL's calendar:

PITTSBURGH STEELERS

Salary cap

Pittsburgh is estimated to have about $19 million to work with under the projected $123 million cap (which is up another $7 million from last year's $116 million). That ranks the Steelers smack in the middle of the league in terms of cap space, at No. 16. Pittsburgh isn't traditionally much of a free-agent shopper, and that won't change. But the Steelers do have a decent number of their own free agents to re-sign, and their preferred way of doing business is to aggressively pursue their priorities on that list before the free agent market cranks to life on Feb. 27.

Free agency

The Steelers usually spend their money wisely, and the first chunk of it this offseason is probably going to be offered to potential free-agent cornerback Bryant McFadden, whom the club has no interest in seeing get away. Again, look for Pittsburgh to move on McFadden before there are other bidders allowed. The allure of staying with a Super Bowl-winning organization can count for a lot.

If there was an obvious weak link on the roster again in '08, it was at offensive line, and that's where Pittsburgh has real decisions to make. Offensive tackles Marvel Smith, Max Starks, Trai Essex and starting guard Chris Kemoeatu are all unrestricted, in addition to tackle Willie Colon entering restricted free agency.

All things being equal, Smith would be the clear-cut top priority, but the nine-year veteran has had two back surgeries in the past two years, and that's always a red flag to proceed with some caution. Opinion on Starks seems somewhat divided within the organization, but the front office will probably deem him a player it has invested too much into to see walk away. That might not be the prevailing wisdom in the case of Kemoeatu, who has not developed into the dependable talent the Steelers had hoped. Essex is a very versatile backup who can play almost anywhere, and he'll likely be targeted for re-signing unless someone throws big money at him on the market.

No. 3 receiver Nate Washington had a very nice year for Pittsburgh and offensive coordinator Bruce Arians considers him a valuable piece of the puzzle. But the Steelers aren't likely to overvalue him, and if another team comes after him with sizable dollars, Pittsburgh will probably be prepared to thank him for his service and bid him adieu.

As for the Steelers' backup quarterback situation, Byron Leftwich really enjoyed his year in Pittsburgh and the feeling was mutual. But he has made it clear that he wants to compete somewhere for a starting job, and that's not happening with Roethlisberger around. So look for Leftwich to go elsewhere, and veteran Charlie Batch to return to his No. 2 slot in '09.

Coaching staff

Super Bowl victories have a way of re-shaping a team's coaching staff, but the Steelers have a chance to be the exception to the rule and stay intact for '09. Offensive coordinator Arians no doubt has raised his profile league-wide, but his name has never gained much traction in terms of a head coaching candidacy, and with only the Kansas City and Oakland jobs remaining open, nothing about that is expected to change this year.

Tomlin lauded his coaching staff on Monday morning, pinpointing its team-first working environment, lack of egos and willingness to do whatever it takes to get the players ready. It certainly doesn't sound like he's unhappy with any particular segment of his staff, although last year at this time there was speculation that special teams coach Bob Ligashesky was in jeopardy of being replaced.

Draft

The Super Bowl champs earned the traditional 32nd and final slot in the first round of the April 25-26 draft, and their top needs figure to be at cornerback, where Ike Taylor is an oft-picked on target, defensive line, which has some age issues, and offensive tackle, where free agency could lead to the most significant losses on the roster. With both a running back (Rashard Mendenhall) and a receiver (Limas Sweed) taken on the first day last year, the skill positions aren't likely to get first or second-round attention.

2009 schedule

No matter what the new season brings, the Steelers can't possibly have a tougher road than they did in '08. Pittsburgh began the season with a schedule that included a dozen games against teams that were .500 or better in '07, and their opponents' .598 winning percentage was the highest in the league. Pittsburgh went 15-4 overall this season, including a 10-4 record against teams that finished 8-8 or better.

In '09, the Steelers have six games against teams that made the '08 playoffs, but fortunately four of those opponents come to Heinz Field: Baltimore, San Diego, Tennessee and Minnesota. Only trips to Miami and Baltimore appear difficult from this long-range view. Pittsburgh draws a pair of relatively weak divisions in playing both the AFC West and the NFC North, so at least someone's trying to make it up to the Steelers for a brutal '08. All told, Pittsburgh has eight games against teams that were at least .500 this season, but just five games against teams with winning records.

From the Vancouver Sun:

“For sure, I’ll be competing for a spot on specials teams as a kick and punt returner,” Logan told The Vancouver Sun from his home in Miami. “I’d like to think they can use me as a third-down back, too. The important thing is to get on the field, and do something when the ball is in my hands.”

“Joystick,” the nickname Lions players bestowed on Logan last season, has a habit of getting upfield so fast that he’s gone before it registers. “There are times when you don’t even have to block for him,” Lions left tackle Rob Murphy said in November. “They can’t catch him. He’s special.”

Buono knows that, too. The loss of Logan’s sublime package of running skills is significant. Running back is usually one of the easiest positions to fill since there are hundreds of prospects coming out of U.S. colleges looking for a place to play. That said, Logan is unique.

Last season, Buono called him the CFL’s “most exciting player.”

It’s quite a statement — one that wouldn’t get an argument from anyone — and all the more remarkable because the 27-year-old rookie didn’t score a rushing touchdown last season. He picked up 889 yards on just 122 carries and caught 52 passes for 477 yards and three touchdowns.

“Yes, when you look at running backs, that body type is not difficult to find,” Buono acknowledged. “When you look at the bowl games in college, there is a very good supply available. But guys like Stefan are more difficult to find. You rationalize his loss by saying to yourself, ‘There’s another one out there, and we’ve got to find him.’”

Logan said he worked out for the Steelers in mid-January. He had another tryout lined up with the Carolina Panthers and a third NFL team whose name he declined to disclose. But when the Steelers wanted him to sign, he cancelled his other arrangements and agreed to join Pittsburgh.

“It’s one of those deals you have to take and run with it. That’s what I’m going to do,” Logan said. “I hope all the fans of the B.C . Lions, the players, coaches and the people of Vancouver will hopefully have a great and successful season. I’ll be cheering for them. I hope they’ll be cheering for me.”

He didn’t receive a signing bonus, however, so the Steelers aren’t losing much by giving Logan a chance at training camp.

The Lions, who retain his CFL rights, could get him again on the rebound, if he’s released. They just don’t know.

“Yes, it’s disappoining to see a guy like Stefan go,” Buono said. “He was going to be a big part of what we did. But the point is, it’s hard to begrudge the guy his opportunity.”

Friday, February 06, 2009

Butler leaving?

The Arizona Cardinals have fired defensive coordinator Clancy Pendergast and may be looking to the Steelers to replace him.

Arizona has contacted the Steelers for permission to speak to linebackers coach Keith Butler about the opening.

Given that it would be a promotion, the Steelers shouldn't be able to say no. But I've been unable to confirm that one way or another.

Butler was seen as the eventual replacement for defensive coordinator **** LeBeau in Pittsburgh when LeBeau finally decides to walk into the sunset.

Butler was on staff with Ken Whisenhunt and Russ Grimm when they were in Pittsburgh.

Posted by Dale Lolley

Users who are viewing this thread