What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL*** Steelers 2009 Thread (1 Viewer)

Arizona has contacted the Steelers for permission to speak to linebackers coach Keith Butler about the opening.
Smelled that coming from 100 miles away the moment they announced Pendergast's firing.

Steelers plotting course for a frenzied offseason

Tuesday, February 10, 2009

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Kevin Colbert, your team just won the Super Bowl. How will you celebrate?

The Indianapolis combine in February is nothing like Florida, but in a sense it is Colbert's Disney World, and the kickoff to the 2009 season for the Steelers' director of football operations.

The combine starts a week from tomorrow, and it also opens what will be a frenzied 10 days for the Steelers before free agency starts Feb. 27. Colbert said yesterday the Steelers likely will make contract offers to some of their potential free agents between next Tuesday and when free agency begins.

"We haven't made any definitive offers or decisions on any of our guys at this point," Colbert said. "But it's safe to say that we will try to keep as many of our own guys as possible, fully understanding that it may not be possible and [we] may have to go outside, either through free agency or obviously through the draft to replace some guys we potentially could lose."

They also will consider using the franchise or transition tags on a player to maintain their rights to one of their free agents. They did that last year with Max Starks and, while it cost them a $6.9 million salary, it paid off when he started 14 games at left tackle for the injured Marvel Smith, including all three in the postseason.

NFL teams have until Feb. 19 to tag one of their players.

"As it turned out we were very happy that we had Max available when he was needed," Colbert said. "We were fortunate that he was still here because it gave us an experienced guy who had played as a starter in the playoffs and in the Super Bowl."

The Steelers have four offensive linemen who can become unrestricted free agents Feb. 27 -- tackles Starks, Smith and Trai Essex and guard Chris Kemoeatu. Tackle Willie Colon can become restricted.

"It's unusual to have that many guys be hitting the market at the same time," Colbert said. "If we could, we wouldn't have that many coming into free agency at the same time, but circumstances just dictated that's where it ended up this time. You don't like to have that many guys at one position so that's a little unnerving, but we should be able to work through it."

Among other topics Colbert touched on yesterday:

• The Steelers find themselves in a similar cap situation as in recent years, not pressed but not with a lot of room to spend freely. Their success in '08 validated their approach in signing players.

"Your team's not going to be the same as it was this year," Colbert said. "All of our attempts aren't going to be able to do that, no matter what. So you have to be realistic and understand that, plus you have to be honest about it and say OK, we won the Super Bowl but we need to improve in a certain area. You have to be able to be critical of your own team and of your own performances so that you can do the right things to maybe repeat that success."

• He stated a need to inject youth into the defensive line.

"You want to add some young talent if you can at any position, but defensive line is probably one of the older positions on our team."

• There has been some question about linebacker Larry Foote's future with the Steelers because he is to make a $2,885,000 salary and because Lawrence Timmons is behind him. Colbert's comments sounded as if they want Foote to stay without altering his pay.

"Any player who is a starter and still a contributor, it would be hard to make any kind of adjustments."

• Colbert defended the play of the offensive line even though Ben Roethlisberger was sacked 46 times and their ground game ranked 23rd, second lowest since the 1970 NFL merger. He said injuries to linemen and backs and Roethlisberger's style of play led to some of the statistics.

"That being said, we also have to try to continue to improve in that area. I'm sure he doesn't like taking hits at the expense of making big plays that result in Super Bowl victories. But he is who he is, and it's our job to try to keep that talent around him and to keep improving it."

• The Steelers do not plan to approach 2009 any differently than they've done in the past even though '10 would be an uncapped year and affect contracts and free agency if another collective bargaining agreement is not reached by then. For example, players could not become unrestricted free agents until after their sixth season instead of after their fourth, as it is under the CBA now. That could affect someone such as Colon, who is restricted this year and would not be unrestricted in '10 if there was no new CBA.

Ed Bouchette can be reached at ebouchette@post-gazette.com.

First published on February 10, 2009 at 12:00 am

Lolley:

After some checking over the weekend, I've determined that the Cardinals did not inquire about the services of Steelers linebackers coach Keith Butler. My source in Arizona was mistaken.
:clap:
Interesting. PFT posted this earlier tonight.
STEELERS GIVE BUTLER PERMISSION TO INTERVIEW FOR ARIZONA JOB

Posted by Mike Florio on February 9, 2009, 11:38 p.m.

Arizona linebackers coach Bill Davis was regarded as the front-runner to replace Clancy Pendergast as the Cardinals’ defensive coordinator.

But that was before the Steelers gave linebackers coach Keith Butler permission to interview for the job.

Mike Jurecki of XTRA in Phoenix reports that permission has indeed been given, via Darren Urban of the Cardinals’ official web site.

Under league rules, teams are not required to grant permission to assistant coaches for positions with other teams, even if it’s a promotion (unless, of course, the promotion would entail getting the head-coaching job).

Butler has worked for the Steelers since 2003. He spent ten years in the NFL as a linebacker with the Seahawks.

Steelers' Ward has surgery on shoulder, not knee

Tuesday, February 10, 2009

The concern for Hines Ward during the two weeks leading to the Super Bowl was his right knee, which was sprained during the AFC championship game.

He started and caught two passes for 43 yards in the Steelers' 27-23 victory over the Arizona Cardinals to claim their sixth Lombardi Trophy.

This week, Hines Ward had surgery -- on his shoulder, not his knee.

Ward had surgery to "clean up" a shoulder, according to a Steelers source, and he should be fine for the 2009 season. The sprained MCL in his right knee did not require surgery and will heal on its own, the club source said.

Ward had his best season statistically in five years in 2008. He caught 81 passes for 1,043 yards, both tops since the 2003 season.

More details in tomorrow's Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

First published on February 10, 2009 at 12:22 pm

Lolley:

After some checking over the weekend, I've determined that the Cardinals did not inquire about the services of Steelers linebackers coach Keith Butler. My source in Arizona was mistaken.
:thumbup:
Interesting. PFT posted this earlier tonight.
STEELERS GIVE BUTLER PERMISSION TO INTERVIEW FOR ARIZONA JOB

Posted by Mike Florio on February 9, 2009, 11:38 p.m.

Arizona linebackers coach Bill Davis was regarded as the front-runner to replace Clancy Pendergast as the Cardinals’ defensive coordinator.

But that was before the Steelers gave linebackers coach Keith Butler permission to interview for the job.

Mike Jurecki of XTRA in Phoenix reports that permission has indeed been given, via Darren Urban of the Cardinals’ official web site.

Under league rules, teams are not required to grant permission to assistant coaches for positions with other teams, even if it’s a promotion (unless, of course, the promotion would entail getting the head-coaching job).

Butler has worked for the Steelers since 2003. He spent ten years in the NFL as a linebacker with the Seahawks.
The Ronney's would not stand in somebody's way to get a promotion.

-- Cardinals Working to Fill OC & DC Coaching Positions --Tue Feb 10, 2009 --from FFMastermind.com#The Arizona Repuiblic reports one possible replacement for former Cardinals DC Clancy Pendergast is reportedly telling colleagues he's staying in his current job. Steelers linebackers coach Keith Butler is telling people in the Steelers organization that he's staying, according to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. Butler is under contract with the Steelers, who would have to grant permission for him to be interviewed by another team. Cardinals HC Ken Whisenhunt is expected to interview two candidates from his staff for the job: secondary coach Teryl Austin and linebackers coach Bill Davis. Whisenhunt also is looking within to fill the vacant offensive coordinator job. He has spoken to assistant head coach/offensive line Russ Grimm about the position, and plans to speak to his other offensive assistants.

Irish said:
-- Cardinals Working to Fill OC & DC Coaching Positions --Tue Feb 10, 2009 --from FFMastermind.com#The Arizona Repuiblic reports one possible replacement for former Cardinals DC Clancy Pendergast is reportedly telling colleagues he's staying in his current job. Steelers linebackers coach Keith Butler is telling people in the Steelers organization that he's staying, according to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. Butler is under contract with the Steelers, who would have to grant permission for him to be interviewed by another team. Cardinals HC Ken Whisenhunt is expected to interview two candidates from his staff for the job: secondary coach Teryl Austin and linebackers coach Bill Davis. Whisenhunt also is looking within to fill the vacant offensive coordinator job. He has spoken to assistant head coach/offensive line Russ Grimm about the position, and plans to speak to his other offensive assistants.
he sounds like a steeler to me

Ward has shoulder surgery

Steelers WR should be ready for new season, sprained knee, too

Wednesday, February 11, 2009

The concern for Steelers wide receiver Hines Ward during the two weeks leading to the Super Bowl was his right knee, which was sprained during the AFC championship game.

He started in the Super Bowl and caught two passes for 43 yards in the Steelers' 27-23 victory against the Arizona Cardinals to claim their sixth Lombardi Trophy.

This week, Hines Ward had surgery -- on a shoulder, not the knee. He had a procedure to "clean up" a shoulder, according to a Steelers source, and should be fine for the 2009 season. The sprained ligament in his right knee did not require surgery and will heal on its own, the club source said.

Ward had his best season statistically in five years in 2008. He caught 81 passes for 1,043 yards, both tops since the 2003 season.

After the 2007 season, Ward had surgery to repair torn knee ligaments after missing three games that season.

NOTES -- A radio report in Arizona to the contrary, not only have the Steelers not given permission to the Cardinals to interview linebackers coach Keith Butler, no one from the Cardinals has asked to do so. Arizona coach Ken Whisenhunt fired defensive coordinator Clancy Pendergast last week. ... Safety Ryan Mundy, a sixth-round draft choice last season, is among a group of players the Steelers have signed to contracts for the 2009 season. Mundy, who played at Woodland Hills High School and West Virginia, was on the practice squad. ... DVR alert: The NFL Network will replay the entire NBC-TV broadcast of the Super Bowl, including pregame and halftime show, at 8 p.m. tomorrow and again at 12:30 a.m. Friday.

From Lolley's blog ( http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/ ) looks like Foote may stick around.

As expected, the Steelers don't have any plans to cut linebacker Larry Foote or ask him to take a paycut.

It's just not their way. Foote has been a steady starter on two Super Bowl teams. I know there's a lot of people out there in a hurry to replace him - and it will likely happen in 2009 - but he's a valuable backup to have around.

And his salary isn't outrageous.

The Steelers took a lot of heat for paying Max Starks $7 million in 2008. Look how that worked out.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3901795

Steelers looking to keep Harrison

By James Walker

ESPN.com

As James Harrison continues to celebrate his success in Super Bowl XLIII, the Pittsburgh Steelers are working hard behind the scenes to secure their two-time Pro Bowl linebacker.

The Steelers are actively negotiating a pay raise and contract extension, according to Harrison's agent, Bill Parise, with the sides having discussions as often as twice a day.

"It's been a very open process, and it's going about the way you would expect," Parise said. "So I think everything is moving along."

Harrison was arguably the league's biggest bargain in 2008 with an annual salary of $1.2 million. He registered 101 tackles, 16 sacks, seven forced fumbles and was named the NFL's defensive player of the year.

Harrison's memorable 100-yard interception return also helped lead Pittsburgh to its sixth Super Bowl title with a 27-23 victory over the Arizona Cardinals.

The Steelers have a number of other key veterans who are due to become free agents in 2010. The list of players with one year remaining on their contracts includes receiver Hines Ward, tight end Heath Miller, safety Ryan Clark and nose tackle Casey Hampton. (oof)

But it's apparent they are making Harrison, 30, the team's first and biggest priority. Parise said he's confident both sides will reach an agreement this offseason.

"Certainly the Steelers didn't win six Super Bowls by not knowing what they're doing," Parise said. "I'm sure they understand exactly what they have and where they're going with James' situation."

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/02/12/...stay-a-steeler/

FOOTE WANTS TO STAY A STEELER

Posted by Aaron Wilson on February 12, 2009, 9:35 a.m.

Pittsburgh Steelers inside linebacker Larry Foote said he has no intention of playing for his hometown Detroit Lions and wants to remain in a black and gold uniform, according to the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review.

Foote, a Detroit native, was drafted in the fourth round by Pittsburgh out of Michigan.

“It would be ludicrous for me to say I want to leave my last year. It would be stupid to even want to do that,” said Foote, who is entering the final year of a $13.4 million contract. “The bottom line is in 2002 the Lions had a chance to draft me. They chose not to. The Steelers did.

“I can relate to all the pain of not getting picked on the first day and see bums go ahead of me. The Steelers [drafted] me. I’m a Steeler. I’m a Super Bowl champion.”

Foote is miffed about comments from his friend, Brian Blackburn, that ran in the Detroit Free Press days after the Super Bowl where he said regarding Foote: ”He wants to come back here. This is the last year of his contract, and he wants to come back here and play for the Lions for about four years and call it quits after that.”

In response to Blackburn’s comment, Foote said: “That was one of my boys just talking stupid stuff in the paper. I think all players say that toward the tail end: ’I'll just end up going home and finish up there.’ But that was just talk.”

Of course, Foote is also facing competition for his job in Pittsburgh from Lawrence Timmons. Timmons played in more snaps in the Super Bowl than Foote, according to Foote.

Foote said he won’t accept a paycut from his 2009 scheduled $2.885 million base salary.

“Quiet as it’s kept,” Foote said, “everybody knows my role is reduced, no doubt about that. If they want to reduce my salary, I understand where they’re coming from. I still think I’m in my prime. I have some good years ahead of me, so I’m not going to accept that. I haven’t heard anything like that.”

Both Legursky and Logan were previously announced but here are a few more offseason signings:

Steelers sign 10 players to offseason roster

Thursday, February 12, 2009

Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steelers today announced the signing of 10 players to their offseason roster.

Seven of them were on their practice squad last season:

WR Dallas Baker, C/G Doug Legursky, CB Roy Lewis, S Ryan Mundy, TE Dezmond Sherrod, RB Justin Vincent and LB Donovan Woods.

Three new players signed are RB Stefan Logan, WR Brandon Williams and FB Ryan Powdrell.

Logan (5-7, 185) rushed for 889 yards on 122 carries (7.3 avg.) and caught 52 passes for 477 yards (9.2 avg.) and three TDs in 2008 with the British Columbia Lions of the Canadian Football League. He signed with the B.C. Lions as a free agent in May of 2008 after spending time in 2007 on the Miami Dolphins practice squad as an undrafted rookie out of South Dakota. The 27-year-old Logan spent five years out of football before enrolling at South Dakota in 2003.

Williams (5-11, 170) played in 23 NFL games with the San Francisco 49ers and St. Louis Rams from 2006-07. He was released by the Rams prior to the 2008 regular season and did not play with another team. Williams was selected in the third round (84th overall) of the 2006 NFL Draft by the 49ers after a college career at Wisconsin. He signed with the Rams as a free agent in October of 2007. Williams has returned 35 punts for 245 yards (7.0 avg.) and 38 kickoffs for 888 yards (23.4 avg.) during his NFL career.

Powdrell (5-11, 254) originally signed as an undrafted rookie with the Green Bay Packers in 2007 but was released prior to the regular season. The 25-year old Powdrell, who played in college at Southern California, spent a week on the Tampa Bay Buccaneers' practice squad in 2008.
Link

Precedent says Tomlin to get bump in salary

One more key component of the Steelers' Super Bowl team is due a new contract this year, and it's likely to come with a large boost in salary.

Mike Tomlin, halfway through his rookie coaching contract with the team, will get an extension before the 2009 season begins, if the Steelers hold true to their history.

Tomlin has two years left on a four-year contract estimated at a total of $10 million that he signed when the Steelers hired him to succeed Bill Cowher in 2007.

His average salary of $2.5 million per year was typical of what first-time NFL head coaches received. That amount could double in his next contract, according to agents who have knowledge of NFL coaching contracts.

One noted that Carolina coach John Fox makes in the neighborhood of $5 million to $6 million and while one of his teams reached a Super Bowl, the Panthers did not win it. The Cleveland Browns signed now-departed coach Romeo Crennel to a two-year contract extension that averaged more than $4 million one year ago, when he had two years left on his first contract. Crennel's teams never made the playoffs.

As with linebacker James Harrison, also due for a big raise in pay, Tomlin has been a bargain the past two years. His first team overcame player dissent and a spate of injuries to win the AFC North Division championship at 10-6, although the Steelers lost their first playoff game.

They followed by winning the Super Bowl in Tomlin's second season, after two home playoff victories as the AFC's No. 2 seed. Tomlin, at 36, became the youngest coach to win a Super Bowl.

The Steelers never failed to sign Cowher to an extension with fewer than two years left on his existing contract until 2006, when the sides failed to reach agreement on a new deal. Cowher resigned at the end of the 2006 season with one year left on his contract.

Brian Levy, Tomlin's agent, could not be reached for comment nor could anyone from the Steelers.

Take your pick: Steelers' 2009 opener

February 13, 2009 12:00 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's James Walker

Last week, I wrote that the reigning Super Bowl champion Pittsburgh Steelers would open the 2009 season on a Thursday prime-time game against a quality opponent.

The most interesting home games on Pittsburgh's schedule next year are a pair of rematches against the Baltimore Ravens and Tennessee Titans. So in this week's version of "Take Your Pick," let's allow Steeler Nation to decide.

Which team would you prefer to have in Heinz Field in Week 1: Baltimore or Tennessee?

The Titans are not fans of the Terrible Towels and would get a steady dose of it in the season opener in prime time. That would be interesting to see.

The Ravens, meanwhile, would have to sit through a title ceremony and watch their biggest rival collect championship rings after coming very close to their own Super Bowl appearance in January. That would be interesting to see as well.

Two great possibilities. Many great story lines.

Take your pick.
I'll take Tennessee. Collins' Cinderella season is over. The crowd would be ready for Lendale White.

http://www.thepittsburghchannel.com/news/1...145/detail.html

Steeler Jeff Reed charged with criminal mischief

Saturday, February 14, 2009

NEW ALEXANDRIA, Pa. -- Two-time Super Bowl champion Jeff Reed faces criminal charges this weekend after an alleged incident in Westmoreland County.

Reed, 29, one of the most effective field goal kickers in the NFL, was charged with disorderly conduct and criminal mischief shortly before 3 a.m. Saturday.

According to a state police press release, Reed damaged a towel dispenser inside the men's room at a Sheetz gas station on Route 22 in New Alexandria after he became infuriated that it did not contain towels.

Store employees told state police that they heard Reed "banging on something and that it was really loud." The employees said Reed then left the bathroom "using profane language in a loud manner" and stating that there were no towels in the restroom.

State police cited Reed with disorderly conduct and criminal mischief.

http://www.thepittsburghchannel.com/news/1...145/detail.html

Steeler Jeff Reed charged with criminal mischief

Saturday, February 14, 2009

NEW ALEXANDRIA, Pa. -- Two-time Super Bowl champion Jeff Reed faces criminal charges this weekend after an alleged incident in Westmoreland County.

Reed, 29, one of the most effective field goal kickers in the NFL, was charged with disorderly conduct and criminal mischief shortly before 3 a.m. Saturday.

According to a state police press release, Reed damaged a towel dispenser inside the men's room at a Sheetz gas station on Route 22 in New Alexandria after he became infuriated that it did not contain towels.

Store employees told state police that they heard Reed "banging on something and that it was really loud." The employees said Reed then left the bathroom "using profane language in a loud manner" and stating that there were no towels in the restroom.

State police cited Reed with disorderly conduct and criminal mischief.
Next you'll hear Roethlisberger make this quote to the media, "Liquored Up Idiot Kicker"

Take your pick: Steelers' 2009 opener

February 13, 2009 12:00 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's James Walker

Last week, I wrote that the reigning Super Bowl champion Pittsburgh Steelers would open the 2009 season on a Thursday prime-time game against a quality opponent.

The most interesting home games on Pittsburgh's schedule next year are a pair of rematches against the Baltimore Ravens and Tennessee Titans. So in this week's version of "Take Your Pick," let's allow Steeler Nation to decide.

Which team would you prefer to have in Heinz Field in Week 1: Baltimore or Tennessee?

The Titans are not fans of the Terrible Towels and would get a steady dose of it in the season opener in prime time. That would be interesting to see.

The Ravens, meanwhile, would have to sit through a title ceremony and watch their biggest rival collect championship rings after coming very close to their own Super Bowl appearance in January. That would be interesting to see as well.

Two great possibilities. Many great story lines.

Take your pick.
I'll take Tennessee. Collins' Cinderella season is over. The crowd would be ready for Lendale White.
It could also be the Chargers or Vikings. All four teams are coming off of playoff berths. I believe the Saints @ Colts is the only kickoff to be an interconference matchup since this tradition began.I would pick the Titans, not so much for the Towel, but for the fact they had the best regular season record and were the only team to beat the Steelers by double digits and the only team to score more than 24 points against them in 19 games.

PITTSBURGH The Pittsburgh Steelers continued to add depth to their offseason roster by signing first-year defensive end Jordan Reffett to the roster.Jordan Reffett (6-4, 292) was originally signed by the Pittsburgh Steelers as an undrafted rookie free agent on April 28, 2008 out of Washington. He was released in training camp and signed to the team’s practice squad on Oct. 1. Reffett was then released from the Steelers’ practice squad on Oct. 14.Reffett joins 10 players who were signed to the team’s offseason roster last week.

Steelers coaching staff remains the same for 3rd straight year

Mike Tomlin, the youngest Super Bowl coach in history, will add to his list of firsts in the 2009 season by keeping his entire coaching staff intact for the third consecutive year.

Linebackers coach Keith Butler turned down a chance to become the defensive coordinator of the Arizona Cardinals late last week after speaking to his friend Ken Whisenhunt about the job on the phone after the Steelers granted permission Friday.

By returning to his job with the Steelers, Butler ensured that Tomlin's 2009 staff will look the same as it did in 2008 and '07. Unless something unforeseen happens, the staff of 14 assistants will return for a third season, plus their conditioning coach. No other coaches are known to be candidates elsewhere.

It will be the first time since at least before Chuck Noll became coach in 1969 that an entire Steelers coaching staff will stay together for the first three years under a new head coach. Noll made a few changes through his first two seasons. Bill Cowher kept his staff intact his first two years, then fired three coaches after his second season.

Butler was under contract and the Steelers did not have to grant permission for the Cardinals to talk to him.

Whisenhunt reportedly has hired Billy Davis, a quality control coach on Cowher's early staff with the Steelers, as his defensive coordinator.

Mike Tomlin, the youngest Super Bowl coach in history, will add to his list of firsts in the 2009 season by keeping his entire coaching staff intact for the third consecutive year.

Linebackers coach Keith Butler turned down a chance to become the defensive coordinator of the Arizona Cardinals late last week after speaking to his friend Ken Whisenhunt about the job on the phone after the Steelers granted permission Friday.

By returning to his job with the Steelers, Butler ensured that Tomlin's 2009 staff will look the same as it did in 2008 and '07. Unless something unforeseen happens, the staff of 14 assistants will return for a third season, plus their conditioning coach. No other coaches are known to be candidates elsewhere.

It will be the first time since at least before Chuck Noll became coach in 1969 that an entire Steelers coaching staff will stay together for the first three years under a new head coach. Noll made a few changes through his first two seasons. Bill Cowher kept his staff intact his first two years, then fired three coaches after his second season.

Butler was under contract and the Steelers did not have to grant permission for the Cardinals to talk to him.

Whisenhunt reportedly has hired Billy Davis, a quality control coach on Cowher's early staff with the Steelers, as his defensive coordinator.
This is where the Steelers have it right and I am envious as a Browns fan (although Romeo and his country club HAD to go). Continuity is key as players develop trust for their coaches' systems, mannerisms, and expectations. Possibly the smartest moves that Tomlin made were keeping **** LeBeau in his spot and promoting Arians to coordinator instead of going outside the organization in 2007. It is impossible to get good scouting on players like the 49ers' Alex Smith who had to deal with a different offense in every year of his career. Keeping things as is lets players focus on intangible things like leadership, maintaining their health, and breaking down opposing team's film rather than learning new offense/defense year after year.

This is why the Steelers are a threat to win the division and make noise even in their lean years of talent. You guys suck!

Offensive linemen await their fates

The early plans the Steelers have for remaking their offensive line should be known over the next 10 days as they either try to sign or ignore the five veteran free agents who work there.

The agent for one, starting guard Chris Kemoeatu, expects to meet with the Steelers this week and believes an offer will come out of it.

"I would hope so," said Ken Vierra. "Having not spoken with them yet, I don't know where they're at, but he's one of the better guards in the league, he's 26 and has room for improvement. If you have one of the better guards in the league, you try to keep him." :excited:

Vierra will arrive tomorrow in Indianapolis, where team personnel gather this week for the annual scouting combine, and plans to talk to the Steelers there.

Kemoeatu joins three veteran tackles -- Marvel Smith, Max Starks and Trai Essex -- as unrestricted free agents if they do not sign by Feb. 27. Tackle Willie Colon will be a restricted free agent.

Kemoeatu replaced former Pro Bowl guard Alan Faneca, who left after the 2007 season as a free agent. He started every game and earned $1,417,000, the amount he received in a one-year contract tendered him by the Steelers last year when he was a restricted free agent.

The sides tried to come to a longer contract term last year but were unable to do so for a player entering his fourth season and first as a starter.

"I did have talks with them," Vierra said. "To be honest with you ... we were talking about a guy who never started. How do you put that together?"

Vierra said Kemoeatu wants to stay with the Steelers.

"He absolutely really loves the city of Pittsburgh and, when you win the Super Bowl, everything is awesome. I need to find where they're at and where they're headed. They have a lot of things to do out there, and Chris Kemoeatu is only one of them."

The Steelers have made linebacker James Harrison, the NFL's defensive player of the year, their priority, even though he has one year left on his contract. They started negotiating with his agent, Pittsburgh's Bill Parise, two weeks ago and continue to work on an extension.

The Steelers have until tomorrow if they want to place their franchise or transition tags on any unrestricted free agents.

DawgPoundNJ said:

This is where the Steelers have it right and I am envious as a Browns fan (although Romeo and his country club HAD to go). Continuity is key as players develop trust for their coaches' systems, mannerisms, and expectations. Possibly the smartest moves that Tomlin made were keeping **** LeBeau in his spot and promoting Arians to coordinator instead of going outside the organization in 2007. It is impossible to get good scouting on players like the 49ers' Alex Smith who had to deal with a different offense in every year of his career. Keeping things as is lets players focus on intangible things like leadership, maintaining their health, and breaking down opposing team's film rather than learning new offense/defense year after year.

This is why the Steelers are a threat to win the division and make noise even in their lean years of talent. You guys suck!
We'll send you Arians if you want... I still don't like him...

Offensive linemen await their fates

The early plans the Steelers have for remaking their offensive line should be known over the next 10 days as they either try to sign or ignore the five veteran free agents who work there.

The agent for one, starting guard Chris Kemoeatu, expects to meet with the Steelers this week and believes an offer will come out of it.

"I would hope so," said Ken Vierra. "Having not spoken with them yet, I don't know where they're at, but he's one of the better guards in the league, he's 26 and has room for improvement. If you have one of the better guards in the league, you try to keep him." :rant:

Vierra will arrive tomorrow in Indianapolis, where team personnel gather this week for the annual scouting combine, and plans to talk to the Steelers there.

Kemoeatu joins three veteran tackles -- Marvel Smith, Max Starks and Trai Essex -- as unrestricted free agents if they do not sign by Feb. 27. Tackle Willie Colon will be a restricted free agent.

Kemoeatu replaced former Pro Bowl guard Alan Faneca, who left after the 2007 season as a free agent. He started every game and earned $1,417,000, the amount he received in a one-year contract tendered him by the Steelers last year when he was a restricted free agent.

The sides tried to come to a longer contract term last year but were unable to do so for a player entering his fourth season and first as a starter.

"I did have talks with them," Vierra said. "To be honest with you ... we were talking about a guy who never started. How do you put that together?"

Vierra said Kemoeatu wants to stay with the Steelers.

"He absolutely really loves the city of Pittsburgh and, when you win the Super Bowl, everything is awesome. I need to find where they're at and where they're headed. They have a lot of things to do out there, and Chris Kemoeatu is only one of them."

The Steelers have made linebacker James Harrison, the NFL's defensive player of the year, their priority, even though he has one year left on his contract. They started negotiating with his agent, Pittsburgh's Bill Parise, two weeks ago and continue to work on an extension.

The Steelers have until tomorrow if they want to place their franchise or transition tags on any unrestricted free agents.
It's a ridiculous statement but he's the agent. He pretty much has to say this...........

I've been thinking about this. In the 2006 draft the Steelers had an extra 3rd round pick as compensation for Plaxico leaving the year before. They packaged their other 3rd rounder and the 32nd pick to move up to 25 and grab Holmes. I think this year the Steelers are likely to get another comp pick (hopefully 3rd rounder) for Faneca's exodus. Maybe they can package their original 3rd rounder and 32 overall to move up and grab an OT or best lineman available, specifically Oher, Britton or Mack.

NFL Combine: First steps for draft under way

Thursday, February 19, 2009

By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

INDIANAPOLIS -- It was only four years ago that the Steelers, with the last pick in the NFL draft after winning Super Bowl XL, traded with the New York Giants to move up seven spots and select the player who helped them win another one -- Santonio Holmes.

Now in a similar drafting spot after winning Super Bowl XLIII, the Steelers begin the process of identifying the player or players who might help them win a seventh Vince Lombardi Trophy. And it begins at the NFL Scouting Combine that starts today at Lucas Oil Stadium, a six-day meat market in which most, if not all, of the top collegiate players in the country get quizzed, drilled, timed, examined, poked and prodded by 32 NFL teams.

Will they trade up again? Will they draft a defensive lineman to help slow the aging process on that unit? Or will they eschew what needs they might have and select a skill player who is just too hard to pass up, as they did last year?

Less than three weeks removed from their pulsating victory against the Arizona Cardinals in Tampa, Fla., coach Mike Tomlin, director of football operations Kevin Colbert and nearly the entire coaching, scouting and medical staff have arrived in Indianapolis to begin their draft evaluations.

They will finish that and return home in time for the start of free agency, which begins Feb. 27. Because the Steelers have made extending the contract of All-Pro linebacker and NFL defensive player of the year James Harrison their top offseason priority, they are expected to be nothing more than minor players in free agency.

They will attempt to re-sign some of their unrestricted free agents and then plug some of their depth holes with second-tier free agents. That will make the draft, April 24-25, their main source of acquiring new talent.

"We always want to have that done, to have a general game plan in place prior to going to the combine so that we can focus on the combine that week," Colbert said. "When we get back from the combine, that's when the free agency will start."

The Steelers had each of their top five draft picks make the 53-man roster this year, but none of them was a significant contributor and only one of them -- running back Rashard Mendenhall, their No. 1 pick -- started a game. But Mendenhall's role as a starter for injured Willie Parker lasted only one game because he fractured his scapula on the first play of the second half Sept. 29 against the Baltimore Ravens and was placed on injured reserve, ending his season.

Just like this year, the Steelers went into the 2008 draft needing players on the offensive and defensive lines, something Tomlin publicly conceded. But, after signing center Justin Hartwig in free agency, they didn't draft an offensive lineman until the fourth round (Tony Hills), and they never signed or drafted a new defensive lineman.

The defensive line would seem to be a top priority because all of the starters -- and all but one of the backups -- will be 31 or older when the 2009 season starts. The youngest player is backup defensive end Nick Eason (29).

"We look at this draft class as a redshirt year," Colbert said. "Part of that was health, part of that was needing further development. We had seven picks, and [sixth-round pick] Mike Humpal ended up on reserve/injured and is still on reserve/injured. Everyone else in that draft class will be back.

"We are optimistic that class will help us in the future. We weren't disappointed in where they were this year because Mendenhall would have contributed, we felt. [Limas] Sweed was in the rotation behind three established receivers. Bruce Davis, he didn't get on the field as much as a couple of the free agents did. You could say we expected more; that would be fair. Tony Hills, that's not unusual for an offensive lineman to be inactive his first year. Dennis Dixon was the third quarterback and developed. Humpal got hurt and Ryan [Mundy] was on the practice squad when he got healthy."

The evaluation process begins today.

Gerry Dulac can be reached at gdulac@post-gazette.com.

First published on February 19, 2009 at 12:00 am

Steelers franchise Starks

INDIANAPOLIS -- The Steelers have placed the franchise tag on offensive tackle Max Starks, a move that will keep him from becoming an unrestricted free agent and guarantee him $8.451 million in salary -- the average of the NFL's top five offensive linemen -- in the 2009 season.

The Steelers will try to work out a long-term deal with Starks, a No. 3 draft choice in 2004 who started 11 games last season at left tackle.

The franchise tag placed on Starks was non-exclusive, meaning he is allowed to talk with other NFL teams about a contract. However, if he would sign with another team, that team would have to compensate the Steelers with two No. 1 picks.

It is the second year in a row the Steelers have used a tag to keep Starks from becoming an unrestricted free agent. He was named a transition player last season, even though he wasn't a starter, and was paid $6.9 million.

First published on February 19, 2009 at 3:44 pm
I guess we shouldn't be suprised, really the Steelers had to do something to guarantee they'd have a left tackle with some experience in 2009. They didn't have to pay him the $20 mill signing bonus (yet anyway). Starks was probably the best vet option available to them because he knows the system and they didn't have to pay out a huge bonus. Still I don't think anyone loves Starks but this will buy the Steelers at least another year if they can draft a tackle this year and groom him.

Steelers franchise Starks

INDIANAPOLIS -- The Steelers have placed the franchise tag on offensive tackle Max Starks, a move that will keep him from becoming an unrestricted free agent and guarantee him $8.451 million in salary -- the average of the NFL's top five offensive linemen -- in the 2009 season.

The Steelers will try to work out a long-term deal with Starks, a No. 3 draft choice in 2004 who started 11 games last season at left tackle.

The franchise tag placed on Starks was non-exclusive, meaning he is allowed to talk with other NFL teams about a contract. However, if he would sign with another team, that team would have to compensate the Steelers with two No. 1 picks.

It is the second year in a row the Steelers have used a tag to keep Starks from becoming an unrestricted free agent. He was named a transition player last season, even though he wasn't a starter, and was paid $6.9 million.

First published on February 19, 2009 at 3:44 pm
I guess we shouldn't be suprised, really the Steelers had to do something to guarantee they'd have a left tackle with some experience in 2009. They didn't have to pay him the $20 mill signing bonus (yet anyway). Starks was probably the best vet option available to them because he knows the system and they didn't have to pay out a huge bonus. Still I don't think anyone loves Starks but this will buy the Steelers at least another year if they can draft a tackle this year and groom him.
maybe some team will give them two 1st rounders for him. :goodposting:

I've been thinking about this. In the 2006 draft the Steelers had an extra 3rd round pick as compensation for Plaxico leaving the year before. They packaged their other 3rd rounder and the 32nd pick to move up to 25 and grab Holmes
A buddy of mine and I were talking about that exact thing today. Certainly a precedent and potentially a need if guys start dropping.Don't even get me started on Starks. The Steelers really didn't have a choice, I guess, but it was a situation of their own construction. They've neglected using any premium picks for the OL since what seems like the Clinton Administration.

I've been thinking about this. In the 2006 draft the Steelers had an extra 3rd round pick as compensation for Plaxico leaving the year before. They packaged their other 3rd rounder and the 32nd pick to move up to 25 and grab Holmes
A buddy of mine and I were talking about that exact thing today. Certainly a precedent and potentially a need if guys start dropping.Don't even get me started on Starks. The Steelers really didn't have a choice, I guess, but it was a situation of their own construction. They've neglected using any premium picks for the OL since what seems like the Clinton Administration.
My expectation is that 2 of the first 3 picks will be O-line related...heck, maybe the first 3.

Lolley

Why tag Starks again?

The Steelers made the decision to put the franchise tag on left tackle Max Starks Thursday, one year after placing the transition tag on Starks.

Many will look at it and wonder why the team felt the need to tag a guy for a second time, particularly one who hasn't gone into either of the past two seasons as a starter.

But the Steelers don't like to see their options limited.

And looking around the offensive tackle prospects available in free agency and the draft, there was no way the Steelers could afford to lose Starks.

With five offensive linemen set to hit the open market – including restricted free agent Willie Colon – the Steelers also couldn't afford to lose the player who was their best offensive linemen by the end of the 2008 season.

At 27, Starks still has his best football ahead of him as well.

The team will try to work out a new deal with Starks to keep him in Pittsburgh long term, but they wanted to protect themselves against another team swooping in and signing him next week.

The team also considered tagging cornerback Bryant McFadden, but the cost of that was nearly $10 million. Plus, while they have three NFL-quality cornerbacks, they had no other options at left tackle.

Posted by Dale Lolley

While it is a lot like being the prettiest fat girl at the dance, Starks was the best of the Steelers lineman last season. Ben was under a lot of pressure last season but I don't remember him getting blindsided too often. If it takes $8 million to protect Ben's backside then so be it.

Starks is still young and should be entering his prime. Hopefully he and the Steelers can work out a long term deal to reduce the cap figure.

Supposedly the team is close to an extension with James Harrison. It would be really nice to re-sign McFadden but that might be too much to ask for...

While it is a lot like being the prettiest fat girl at the dance, Starks was the best of the Steelers lineman last season. Ben was under a lot of pressure last season but I don't remember him getting blindsided too often. If it takes $8 million to protect Ben's backside then so be it. Starks is still young and should be entering his prime. Hopefully he and the Steelers can work out a long term deal to reduce the cap figure. Supposedly the team is close to an extension with James Harrison. It would be really nice to re-sign McFadden but that might be too much to ask for...
I think McFadden's gone. He and Starks seemed like they were an either/or kinda of a deal.As much as I hate seeing McFadden go, if he indeed DOES go, William Gay is a better player than he's credited for by most. We may be okay in that respect as long as the defense can keep applying pressure as it did in '08.

Scout.com

Interview with Kevin ColbertQ: How are the offensive linemen in this draft?KC: In comparing this offense line to last year’s group, it's not as deep. It's probably a little more top-heavy at every position, but it doesn’t have the depth that last year’s draft had.Q: What about the defensive linemen?KC: That’s one area that is very strong – the defensive ends that are possible linebackers, the SAM linebackers that will be outside guys , that is a strong group for this draft, for sure. The corners, we think, are a pretty deep group as well.Q: Any progress with your free agents?KC: We’re still talking in more detail. We’re in negotiations with all our guys including our offensive line and Chris Kemoeatu.Q: What is the Steelers' philosophy and why has it been successful?KC: That goes way back to the origins of this organization and their success since the 1970s. They’ve maintained a consistent philosophy of the type of player they want, and you’ve had that continuity with Coach Noll, Coach Cowher and Coach Tomlin. When you have that continuity in the coaching end and you have the original philosophy that really hasn’t changed over time, it’s easier to match the talent to the philosophies when you continue to groom players to eventually replace other players. I think the Steelers have always looked … we’ve looked for great players that are great people, that are healthy, work in the community and all that stuff. It’s really nebulous … we always talk about the Steelers way and what is the Steelers way. It’s always trying to do the right thing at the right time, all the time.Q: Could you evaluate your 2008 draft?KC: That whole class, I said this earlier, we look at that draft class as they all redshirted in our minds. Rashard (Mendenhall) would have helped us if he didn’t get injured; Limas (Sweed) played behind three pretty good wide receivers, he made some contributions, he has some growing to do; Bruce Davis, he has a lot of growing to do, we had two free agents who got activated before he did, that’s testament to those kids because they were able to contribute; Tony Hills, it’s not unusual for an offensive lineman to take a redshirt year; Dennis Dixon, we feel, really progressed; Mike Humpal had some injuries issues and he ended up on reserve injured; and Ryan Mundy ended up on our practice squad.Q: Is extending James Harrison’s contract a priority)?KC: James Harrison has certainly earned that designation. He’s an awesome player who helped us get where he got this year. We’d like to have James Harrison finish his career with the Steelers, for sure.Q: Considering the timing, why isn’t Bryant McFadden the top priority?KC: He is a priority, but we know we can’t keep this whole team together. We understand that. We will continue to negotiate with all our free agents and what comes together, comes together over the next few weeks.Q: Will a lack of free agent cornerbacks enhance his price?KC: It could. It only takes one team to accelerate the price. It doesn’t take a great market If one team has a sincere interest and you’re not able to match [the offer], you’re probably going to lose that player. The depth might indicate or dictate what a team is going to do for a certain position, but if they like that player specifically, they’re going to pay him, regardless of depth.Q: Won't you lose players once they reach the open market?KC: Fortunately, most of our free agents, 90-95 percent of them, they want to stay. I’m not just talking this year, I’m talking years past. They’re going to give us an opportunity. Now, they have to do what they have to do for them from a financial standpoint, we understand that. But if we have a chance to match what they’re going to get, that’s good. Most of our guys want that opportunity to stay here.Q: Is it hard to switch from 4-3 to 3-4 defense?KC: It depends what they already have on their roster, changing from a 4-3 to 3-4. There are certain players who can make the change, certain players don’t have the physical characteristics. The hardest transition is for the tweener defensive end who is 260, 265 pounds. It’s harder for him to be able to project because usually the ends are going to have to be a minimum of 290 pounds to be able to play in that scheme and linebackers are going to have to be able to do certain things in coverage. The 265, 270 end will have the most difficulty. The interior defensive lineman can usually make the change because their techniques usually don’t change, if they have the size.Q: What are the challenges for personnel departments that play 3-4?KC: It’s always a challenge for us, but we’re used to it now. When we look at 260 or 255 pound guy, [we ask] can they make the transition to do the things they need to do from a coverage standpoint? That’s always our challenge. It limits your pool to a certain extent, and it also reminds you you’re going to have to have a lot of patience with these guys as they develop. Everyone who has been in our system as outside linebackers, it usually took them a minimum of two years and usually three to four years before they were ready to contribute, and a lot of those guys contributed a heckuva lot as they turned into starters.Q: How's Mendenhall's health?KC: He’s way ahead on his rehab. If we didn’t have the injured reserve rules, he could have returned for the end of season, probably the last month and certainly for the playoffs. He is in [our] facility working out. He looks good at this point and all the medical reports indicate he’ll have a full recovery.Q: How hard is it to evaluate different styles of offense in college?KC: It gets more difficult with the evolution of the spread offense. The things they’re doing in college, most of it won't transfer to the NFL, so you’re really looking for physical characteristics, the footwork, the arm strength, some of the decision-making. You’re trying to take some of the spread part out of it and maybe just take it to point where the QB is getting ready to throw the ball. You see certain things in what he can do from that point on that may indicate what he can do to transfer to a more conventional offense.I think you’re also going to see, as time goes on, some evolution of the college game into the NFL. You’re seeing some of that this year with the Wildcat stuff, but I think you’ll also see some possible use of some spread stuff as these Dennis Dixons, that type of quarterback, come into the league.Tight end, fullbacks, offensive line techniques are going to be different. If you flip it over, the defense isn’t doing things that they’re going to be doing against conventional offenses. It changes the whole evaluation process. It makes it more difficult, but the colleges have to worry about what they need to do to win games and we have to worry about making correct decisions based on that.Q: On franchise tags:KC: I think the franchise tags have changed over the course of free agency, and a big part of that is, teams are doing a much better job of keeping their own guys so there is a more limited group of free agents that are available. It’s not that a certain team thinks a player is that valuable, but they have to protect themselves only because the alternatives aren’t that great.Q: Is it hard to draft nose tackles?KC: Yes, because they don’t play that position like we’re going to ask them to play. They’re as hard to find as the ends [in the 3-4]. But there are probably more defensive tackles in a college 4-3 that can make the transition only because of their size, rather than the defensive end who is going to be a 6-4, 6-5 guy that weighs 290. There aren’t a lot of those kids playing college ball. There are a lot more 6-2, 6-3 and 320 or 340 pounds guys who can play in a 3-4 or 4-3. It’s just going to take them time to learn the technique.Q: How different is a nose tackle's technique?KC: There are different versions of the 3-4, some with the traditional 2-gap, and without getting real technical, the 2-gap responsibility usually plays head up. Our guys move a little more than the traditional 3-4, and in college you’re usually playing a one-gap scheme where they’re hitting a gap. That’s going to be a transition and all our defensive lineman go through that when they come up.Q: Is that a hard sell?KC: It’s not a hard sell when they’re yours. They have to learn the technique or they’ll go to another team. You probably have to, prior to taking that player, if he’s a free agent, you better explain what you’re going to be asking him to do. And if he’s a college kid you better understand his mental makeup, whether he’ll be unselfish enough to be able to do that.Q: Does drafting low change your approach?KC: When we start the draft process in fall, we don’t know where we’re picking. We’re evaluating from top to bottom. Now we’ll make some adjustments knowing we have the 32nd pick, but having said that, I’m confident that there are definitely 32 guys that can help us. I’m sure there are 64 and 96 [players] who can help us in some form and fashion, at some level of our depth. There are a lot of good players in this draft. Certain positions aren’t as deep as it has been, but I think the quality, especially at the top, will help. That will flush a better player down to us, for sure. We’re excited about it, as always, because there are always players who can help us some way, somehow.Q: How does the wide receiver crop look like?KC: I think it’s top-heavy early and then there’s a LOT of depth. I think you can get a quality receiver throughout the whole draft. I mean, from two through seven, there are guys who are going to contribute – big guys, small guys, return types. There are kids who are way up there, and then a nice group in two, three, four, and then even some in five, six, seven.Q: Are you comfortable you can find a legitimate first-round O-lineman down at the bottom of the first round?KC: Oh yeah, absolutely.Q: You’ve traded up twice in the first round and hit the jackpot both times. Did you trade up because the player was special? Or because you had an emergency at the position?KC: The player, in both cases. When we traded up for Troy [Polamalu], he was one of our top-rated guys. Anytime we trade up, the only way you can do it is if you can justify where that player is on your board and where he is during the evolution of the first round. So Troy, if I can remember, was probably one of our top 10 players. And when he got down into that range where we could make a do-able trade, we were able to do it. Same thing with Santonio [Holmes]. We valued him very much. He was the only receiver drafted in the first round that year. It really wasn’t a need; we just liked him that much.Q: Does there have to be something special, or extra, in the player you trade up for?KC: No, not really. They were just exceptional players at their position. I don’t think there’s any one common characteristic about that.Q: Does being at the bottom give you more cause to trade up?KC: Not really. It’s more circumstantial. We’re not going to trade up if there’s not a player there that’s worthy. We’ve gone down in the first round, too, with Casey Hampton.Q: What about the depth of this draft?KC: Really, other than the outside linebacker types and the corners, I wouldn’t say it’s exceptionally deep.Q: How much impact does the spread have on the offensive linemen?KC: They’re using different techniques. Sometimes they’re not even getting into a three-point stance unless it’s a goal-line or short-yardage play. They’re playing third down every play and that’s unusual. That’s why I said what I did earlier about Tony Hills. Texas didn’t use as much spread as other colleges, but he still had to go through a learning process.Q: What about the crop of inside linebackers?KC: It’s good, but not as deep as the outside linebackers.Q: What about the transition to a 3-4 for inside linebackers?KC: It’s similar to the defensive linemen. It’s not as big a transition, but it’s a transition. They will have some different responsibilities but not as much as the outside guys.Q: Is it difficult to evaluate 3-4 defensive linemen?KC: There are just not a lot of body types for a 3-4. I mean, they’re 6-4, 6-5, from 290 to 310. Most of the guys in our situation are self-made guys, like Aaron Smith and Brett Keisel. They’ve grown and they’ve learned how to play their technique. Sometimes, 270-pound guys, they’re not going to hit 300. Half of them just don’t have the frame to do it. So there are less of those guys. If you see a guy who has at least a certain body type and a certain amount of athleticism, you think he has a chance.Q: Do you have less to evaluate because you run a 3-4?KC: We just don’t look for our position-specific guys. We have to evaluate the guys who are going to go to a 4-3 only because the guys we’re interested in, we have to know how they stack up. We have to evaluate everybody else to know where they’re going to go so you have an idea where you’re going to get your own players.Q: Can you take a defensive end later because you often mold them?KC: Yeah. We understand it’s going to take time, and John Mitchell, our defensive line coach, is excellent. He’s taken later-round guys and developed them into Pro Bowl players and solid starters, so you have a bit of a comfort zone. But I’m sure Mitch would like a top guy to be able to work with, like Casey [Hampton] was. But if the situation presents itself, we’re not going to pass on a guy who is a good player because we feel we can get a guy in the fourth or fifth round, because you really don’t know that.Q: James Harrison wasn’t drafted and became Defensive Player of the Year, yet you cut him a couple times.KC: We cut him three times – once from the practice squad. Thank God we didn’t cut him four. It’s a testament to James that he kept coming back the way he did and continued to develop. Again, that’s a hard transition. It usually takes guys three or four years. If you draft a guy, you probably have a little more invested in him and you’re more reluctant to cut him early. Whereas if a guy’s a free agent, you feel teams weren’t real interested in him. If he didn’t do a lot in the preseason, you can probably put him through waivers and get him on your practice squad. And it’s usually not because you don’t like the guy, sometimes you just have to get an active roster spot. But if you feel you can get him through and put him on the practice squad, sometimes you have to take that chance. Fortunately it all worked out for us and James.Q: Is it fair to say the Steelers might be more patient than others in letting these guys develop?KC: I guess. There’s the organizational stability, but we also want to win now. We’re not going to wait too long. They have to show up and play at some point.Q: Is a guy like B.J. Raji hurt by what happened to Hampton in the Super Bowl? Do the fewer snaps nose tackles are taking hurt the player’s value?KC: I don’t think so because if you feel a guy’s a game-changer, he’ll get his snaps. It depends though. Game to game it’s going to vary as to who gets what snaps. So I don’t think so. If they’re great players, they’re great players regardless.Q: How difficult is it to evaluate quarterbacks who run the spread?KC: If you go back to Antwaan Randle El, there were certain things he could do that transferred to slot receiver, some of the option stuff. Again, just because a kid played in the spread, doesn’t mean he can’t play in a conventional offense. Maybe he’s never been asked to do the things he’ll need to do. Sometimes it’s intriguing to look at the quarterbacks in a spread and project what they might be able to do. Sometimes you see a kid in a conventional offense and see things he can’t do. The intrigue about the unknown is probably more interesting.Q: Will the Wildcat have an impact on this draft?KC: It could. It could if people are intrigued by a certain player’s ability and they want to add that into their package.Q: Do you have to watch all the 3-4 teams and say ‘They might take our guy’?KC: Yeah. When you do your draft projections, you want to get a feel for who would be interested in a guy you like, or vice versa. Guys might not be interested because they already have depth or he doesn’t fit.Q: How will the end of the CBA affect your team?KC: It won’t affect us too much because we’re going to follow the old rules. They’ve been successful for us. And, really, when we deal with free agency we deal more internally than externally. We’re more interested in what goes on in our own team than what goes on around the league.Q: How about the economic depression? How will that affect your team?KC: I think everybody will be aware and sensitive to it, but teams will have to decide what they can afford to do.Q: Expect big signings right off the bat?KC: Yeah, I’m assuming that the big signings will continue to happen.Q: When you put Mendenhall on IR, did you think then that he’d be able to come back before the season ended?KC: Yeah, he could’ve come back late in the year. We put him down in September, and between then and the playoffs you’re going to need another spot. Can you afford to carry him? At that time we didn’t think we could afford to carry him. I remember talking about it at the time, that it was a possibility.Q: Did the fact he’s a rookie factor in?KC: I think it did. He’s missing a lot of time. I think if it’s a veteran guy, like the Steelers did with Rod Woodson their Super Bowl year – they kept him alive the whole year because he was Rod Woodson -- he knew what to do and could come back and play like he did.Q: What about the safety crop compared to other years?KC: Not as deep on the top end of things. There are probably going to be a lot of later-round guys who could possibly stick. Sometimes it’s deep at the top or the middle or the bottom. This time it’s more toward the middle or the bottom.Q: Will you be meeting with James Harrison’s agent this week?KC: Yeah. Absolutely.Q: Why the rush on him?KC: James is one year out, so he’s legal, so to speak, from our policy standpoint. He’s a great player that we want to lock up. He’s earned it. He’s earned a chance to finish his career here, and we certainly want him to do that.Q: Is his age a concern?KC: No. James, when you talk about him being 31 in real life, but in football life, his early years he didn’t get beat up. He doesn’t have the wear and tear that some of the guys his age would have.Q: Is part of it a reward?KC: We recognize what James Harrison has done for this organization. He made a game-changing play in the Super Bowl. He’s a special player. He’s proven that. From a selfish standpoint, we want him to finish his career here. From his standpoint, he’s earned that, so you want to take care of him.Q: Is Kendall Simmons 100 percent?KC: Kendall’s still recovering [Achilles' tendon]. Could he play today? No. But he’s not ahead or behind. He’s right on schedule. He still has to continue his rehab. All signs are that he will make it, but he’s not there yet.Q: Did you break your prototype with Harrison at outside linebacker?KC: Probably. The ideal outside linebacker is what 6-3? James wasn’t that ideal height. Then he was a free agent, had a great motor, and showed some pass rush abilities. You hoped that he could learn the other stuff. He’s not the prototype, but it says something about what he’s done to overcome that stereotype. Now, he has some built-in advantages as well because with the tackles getting bigger he gets under them. There are probably some built-in advantages to being shorter.Q: What about cornerback?KC: There are some good corners. We talked about the spread offenses from a negative standpoint, but there are more receivers and more corners because somebody’s got to cover all those receivers. This year we’re starting to see that.Q: What about running backs?KC: They all came out last year. We had to wait for the juniors to enhance this class. It’s OK, but not like last year.Q: Last year you said the tackle class was the best you’ve seen in 25 years. Is this one close at all?KC: No. Last year there were nine in the first round. That was unusual.Q: Can you go into this draft saying you have to have, say, an offensive lineman?KC: Absolutely not. If you go into a draft trying to fill a need you’re going to make a mistake.Q: How do you feel Santonio Holmes will handle the acclaim?KC: We don’t know. It’ll be a challenge for him. I think it’ll be a positive for him. It wasn’t only the one play in the Super Bowl; he had a really good playoff stretch for us. He made a ton of big plays. It change you as a player. Hopefully it doesn’t change him as a person.Q: Is William Gay ready?KC: Gay’s done some nice things, but you never really know if somebody’s ready to become a regular. We saw some things in William Gay’s play that maybe he can be, but you don’t know if they’re going to be ready. They’re kind of like draft picks: You don’t know how they’re going to be at the next level, and you don’t know how backups are going to be as a starter. Unless you know for sure, you’re better off keeping your starter if you can.Q: Are you worried about Deshea Townsend’s body breaking down?KC: Yeah, I mean, any player that gets older, especially at a skill position, you worry about that. Deshea’s intelligence and instincts have always made up for a lack of size and speed, whatever. So he has some compensating factors and that helps.

By Gerry Dulac and Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-GazetteINDIANAPOLIS -- Rookie running back Rashard Mendenhall has recovered so well from a broken shoulder blade that he could have played the final month of the regular season and into the postseason if he hadn't been placed on injured reserve, said director of football operations Kevin Colbert.Mendenhall, the team's No. 1 draft pick, was injured in Week 4 against the Baltimore Ravens when he was tackled by linebacker Ray Lewis. Mendenhall did not have surgery. Such an injury is more associated with car accidents than football games."He's way ahead on his rehab," Colbert said. "He looks good at this point and all the medical reports indicate he'll have a full recovery."There have been instances where the Steelers have kept other injured players on the 53-man roster for an extended period, hoping they could return late in the season or for the playoffs. A most recent example is tackle Marvel Smith, who missed the final 11 games of the regular season with a back injury but wasn't placed on injured reserve until Dec. 23."He could have come back late in the year, but, at that point, we didn't think we could afford to carry him," Colbert said of Mendenhall. "I remember talking about that, saying it's a possibility. But it becomes a luxury when trying to deal with 53 active players."If it's a veteran guy, like the Steelers did with Rod Woodson that Super Bowl year (1995), they kept him alive for the whole year because he's Rod Woodson, first of all, and he knew what to do. And he was going to be able to come back and play like he did. This year, we carried Marvel as long as we could until we got to that point when we needed that spot."

Scout.com

Interview with Kevin ColbertQ: How are the offensive linemen in this draft?KC: In comparing this offense line to last year’s group, it's not as deep. It's probably a little more top-heavy at every position, but it doesn’t have the depth that last year’s draft had.Q: What about the defensive linemen?KC: That’s one area that is very strong – the defensive ends that are possible linebackers, the SAM linebackers that will be outside guys , that is a strong group for this draft, for sure. The corners, we think, are a pretty deep group as well.Q: Any progress with your free agents?KC: We’re still talking in more detail. We’re in negotiations with all our guys including our offensive line and Chris Kemoeatu.Q: What is the Steelers' philosophy and why has it been successful?KC: That goes way back to the origins of this organization and their success since the 1970s. They’ve maintained a consistent philosophy of the type of player they want, and you’ve had that continuity with Coach Noll, Coach Cowher and Coach Tomlin. When you have that continuity in the coaching end and you have the original philosophy that really hasn’t changed over time, it’s easier to match the talent to the philosophies when you continue to groom players to eventually replace other players. I think the Steelers have always looked … we’ve looked for great players that are great people, that are healthy, work in the community and all that stuff. It’s really nebulous … we always talk about the Steelers way and what is the Steelers way. It’s always trying to do the right thing at the right time, all the time.Q: Could you evaluate your 2008 draft?KC: That whole class, I said this earlier, we look at that draft class as they all redshirted in our minds. Rashard (Mendenhall) would have helped us if he didn’t get injured; Limas (Sweed) played behind three pretty good wide receivers, he made some contributions, he has some growing to do; Bruce Davis, he has a lot of growing to do, we had two free agents who got activated before he did, that’s testament to those kids because they were able to contribute; Tony Hills, it’s not unusual for an offensive lineman to take a redshirt year; Dennis Dixon, we feel, really progressed; Mike Humpal had some injuries issues and he ended up on reserve injured; and Ryan Mundy ended up on our practice squad.Q: Is extending James Harrison’s contract a priority)?KC: James Harrison has certainly earned that designation. He’s an awesome player who helped us get where he got this year. We’d like to have James Harrison finish his career with the Steelers, for sure.Q: Considering the timing, why isn’t Bryant McFadden the top priority?KC: He is a priority, but we know we can’t keep this whole team together. We understand that. We will continue to negotiate with all our free agents and what comes together, comes together over the next few weeks.Q: Will a lack of free agent cornerbacks enhance his price?KC: It could. It only takes one team to accelerate the price. It doesn’t take a great market If one team has a sincere interest and you’re not able to match [the offer], you’re probably going to lose that player. The depth might indicate or dictate what a team is going to do for a certain position, but if they like that player specifically, they’re going to pay him, regardless of depth.Q: Won't you lose players once they reach the open market?KC: Fortunately, most of our free agents, 90-95 percent of them, they want to stay. I’m not just talking this year, I’m talking years past. They’re going to give us an opportunity. Now, they have to do what they have to do for them from a financial standpoint, we understand that. But if we have a chance to match what they’re going to get, that’s good. Most of our guys want that opportunity to stay here.Q: Is it hard to switch from 4-3 to 3-4 defense?KC: It depends what they already have on their roster, changing from a 4-3 to 3-4. There are certain players who can make the change, certain players don’t have the physical characteristics. The hardest transition is for the tweener defensive end who is 260, 265 pounds. It’s harder for him to be able to project because usually the ends are going to have to be a minimum of 290 pounds to be able to play in that scheme and linebackers are going to have to be able to do certain things in coverage. The 265, 270 end will have the most difficulty. The interior defensive lineman can usually make the change because their techniques usually don’t change, if they have the size.Q: What are the challenges for personnel departments that play 3-4?KC: It’s always a challenge for us, but we’re used to it now. When we look at 260 or 255 pound guy, [we ask] can they make the transition to do the things they need to do from a coverage standpoint? That’s always our challenge. It limits your pool to a certain extent, and it also reminds you you’re going to have to have a lot of patience with these guys as they develop. Everyone who has been in our system as outside linebackers, it usually took them a minimum of two years and usually three to four years before they were ready to contribute, and a lot of those guys contributed a heckuva lot as they turned into starters.Q: How's Mendenhall's health?KC: He’s way ahead on his rehab. If we didn’t have the injured reserve rules, he could have returned for the end of season, probably the last month and certainly for the playoffs. He is in [our] facility working out. He looks good at this point and all the medical reports indicate he’ll have a full recovery.Q: How hard is it to evaluate different styles of offense in college?KC: It gets more difficult with the evolution of the spread offense. The things they’re doing in college, most of it won't transfer to the NFL, so you’re really looking for physical characteristics, the footwork, the arm strength, some of the decision-making. You’re trying to take some of the spread part out of it and maybe just take it to point where the QB is getting ready to throw the ball. You see certain things in what he can do from that point on that may indicate what he can do to transfer to a more conventional offense.I think you’re also going to see, as time goes on, some evolution of the college game into the NFL. You’re seeing some of that this year with the Wildcat stuff, but I think you’ll also see some possible use of some spread stuff as these Dennis Dixons, that type of quarterback, come into the league.Tight end, fullbacks, offensive line techniques are going to be different. If you flip it over, the defense isn’t doing things that they’re going to be doing against conventional offenses. It changes the whole evaluation process. It makes it more difficult, but the colleges have to worry about what they need to do to win games and we have to worry about making correct decisions based on that.Q: On franchise tags:KC: I think the franchise tags have changed over the course of free agency, and a big part of that is, teams are doing a much better job of keeping their own guys so there is a more limited group of free agents that are available. It’s not that a certain team thinks a player is that valuable, but they have to protect themselves only because the alternatives aren’t that great.Q: Is it hard to draft nose tackles?KC: Yes, because they don’t play that position like we’re going to ask them to play. They’re as hard to find as the ends [in the 3-4]. But there are probably more defensive tackles in a college 4-3 that can make the transition only because of their size, rather than the defensive end who is going to be a 6-4, 6-5 guy that weighs 290. There aren’t a lot of those kids playing college ball. There are a lot more 6-2, 6-3 and 320 or 340 pounds guys who can play in a 3-4 or 4-3. It’s just going to take them time to learn the technique.Q: How different is a nose tackle's technique?KC: There are different versions of the 3-4, some with the traditional 2-gap, and without getting real technical, the 2-gap responsibility usually plays head up. Our guys move a little more than the traditional 3-4, and in college you’re usually playing a one-gap scheme where they’re hitting a gap. That’s going to be a transition and all our defensive lineman go through that when they come up.Q: Is that a hard sell?KC: It’s not a hard sell when they’re yours. They have to learn the technique or they’ll go to another team. You probably have to, prior to taking that player, if he’s a free agent, you better explain what you’re going to be asking him to do. And if he’s a college kid you better understand his mental makeup, whether he’ll be unselfish enough to be able to do that.Q: Does drafting low change your approach?KC: When we start the draft process in fall, we don’t know where we’re picking. We’re evaluating from top to bottom. Now we’ll make some adjustments knowing we have the 32nd pick, but having said that, I’m confident that there are definitely 32 guys that can help us. I’m sure there are 64 and 96 [players] who can help us in some form and fashion, at some level of our depth. There are a lot of good players in this draft. Certain positions aren’t as deep as it has been, but I think the quality, especially at the top, will help. That will flush a better player down to us, for sure. We’re excited about it, as always, because there are always players who can help us some way, somehow.Q: How does the wide receiver crop look like?KC: I think it’s top-heavy early and then there’s a LOT of depth. I think you can get a quality receiver throughout the whole draft. I mean, from two through seven, there are guys who are going to contribute – big guys, small guys, return types. There are kids who are way up there, and then a nice group in two, three, four, and then even some in five, six, seven.Q: Are you comfortable you can find a legitimate first-round O-lineman down at the bottom of the first round?KC: Oh yeah, absolutely.Q: You’ve traded up twice in the first round and hit the jackpot both times. Did you trade up because the player was special? Or because you had an emergency at the position?KC: The player, in both cases. When we traded up for Troy [Polamalu], he was one of our top-rated guys. Anytime we trade up, the only way you can do it is if you can justify where that player is on your board and where he is during the evolution of the first round. So Troy, if I can remember, was probably one of our top 10 players. And when he got down into that range where we could make a do-able trade, we were able to do it. Same thing with Santonio [Holmes]. We valued him very much. He was the only receiver drafted in the first round that year. It really wasn’t a need; we just liked him that much.Q: Does there have to be something special, or extra, in the player you trade up for?KC: No, not really. They were just exceptional players at their position. I don’t think there’s any one common characteristic about that.Q: Does being at the bottom give you more cause to trade up?KC: Not really. It’s more circumstantial. We’re not going to trade up if there’s not a player there that’s worthy. We’ve gone down in the first round, too, with Casey Hampton.Q: What about the depth of this draft?KC: Really, other than the outside linebacker types and the corners, I wouldn’t say it’s exceptionally deep.Q: How much impact does the spread have on the offensive linemen?KC: They’re using different techniques. Sometimes they’re not even getting into a three-point stance unless it’s a goal-line or short-yardage play. They’re playing third down every play and that’s unusual. That’s why I said what I did earlier about Tony Hills. Texas didn’t use as much spread as other colleges, but he still had to go through a learning process.Q: What about the crop of inside linebackers?KC: It’s good, but not as deep as the outside linebackers.Q: What about the transition to a 3-4 for inside linebackers?KC: It’s similar to the defensive linemen. It’s not as big a transition, but it’s a transition. They will have some different responsibilities but not as much as the outside guys.Q: Is it difficult to evaluate 3-4 defensive linemen?KC: There are just not a lot of body types for a 3-4. I mean, they’re 6-4, 6-5, from 290 to 310. Most of the guys in our situation are self-made guys, like Aaron Smith and Brett Keisel. They’ve grown and they’ve learned how to play their technique. Sometimes, 270-pound guys, they’re not going to hit 300. Half of them just don’t have the frame to do it. So there are less of those guys. If you see a guy who has at least a certain body type and a certain amount of athleticism, you think he has a chance.Q: Do you have less to evaluate because you run a 3-4?KC: We just don’t look for our position-specific guys. We have to evaluate the guys who are going to go to a 4-3 only because the guys we’re interested in, we have to know how they stack up. We have to evaluate everybody else to know where they’re going to go so you have an idea where you’re going to get your own players.Q: Can you take a defensive end later because you often mold them?KC: Yeah. We understand it’s going to take time, and John Mitchell, our defensive line coach, is excellent. He’s taken later-round guys and developed them into Pro Bowl players and solid starters, so you have a bit of a comfort zone. But I’m sure Mitch would like a top guy to be able to work with, like Casey [Hampton] was. But if the situation presents itself, we’re not going to pass on a guy who is a good player because we feel we can get a guy in the fourth or fifth round, because you really don’t know that.Q: James Harrison wasn’t drafted and became Defensive Player of the Year, yet you cut him a couple times.KC: We cut him three times – once from the practice squad. Thank God we didn’t cut him four. It’s a testament to James that he kept coming back the way he did and continued to develop. Again, that’s a hard transition. It usually takes guys three or four years. If you draft a guy, you probably have a little more invested in him and you’re more reluctant to cut him early. Whereas if a guy’s a free agent, you feel teams weren’t real interested in him. If he didn’t do a lot in the preseason, you can probably put him through waivers and get him on your practice squad. And it’s usually not because you don’t like the guy, sometimes you just have to get an active roster spot. But if you feel you can get him through and put him on the practice squad, sometimes you have to take that chance. Fortunately it all worked out for us and James.Q: Is it fair to say the Steelers might be more patient than others in letting these guys develop?KC: I guess. There’s the organizational stability, but we also want to win now. We’re not going to wait too long. They have to show up and play at some point.Q: Is a guy like B.J. Raji hurt by what happened to Hampton in the Super Bowl? Do the fewer snaps nose tackles are taking hurt the player’s value?KC: I don’t think so because if you feel a guy’s a game-changer, he’ll get his snaps. It depends though. Game to game it’s going to vary as to who gets what snaps. So I don’t think so. If they’re great players, they’re great players regardless.Q: How difficult is it to evaluate quarterbacks who run the spread?KC: If you go back to Antwaan Randle El, there were certain things he could do that transferred to slot receiver, some of the option stuff. Again, just because a kid played in the spread, doesn’t mean he can’t play in a conventional offense. Maybe he’s never been asked to do the things he’ll need to do. Sometimes it’s intriguing to look at the quarterbacks in a spread and project what they might be able to do. Sometimes you see a kid in a conventional offense and see things he can’t do. The intrigue about the unknown is probably more interesting.Q: Will the Wildcat have an impact on this draft?KC: It could. It could if people are intrigued by a certain player’s ability and they want to add that into their package.Q: Do you have to watch all the 3-4 teams and say ‘They might take our guy’?KC: Yeah. When you do your draft projections, you want to get a feel for who would be interested in a guy you like, or vice versa. Guys might not be interested because they already have depth or he doesn’t fit.Q: How will the end of the CBA affect your team?KC: It won’t affect us too much because we’re going to follow the old rules. They’ve been successful for us. And, really, when we deal with free agency we deal more internally than externally. We’re more interested in what goes on in our own team than what goes on around the league.Q: How about the economic depression? How will that affect your team?KC: I think everybody will be aware and sensitive to it, but teams will have to decide what they can afford to do.Q: Expect big signings right off the bat?KC: Yeah, I’m assuming that the big signings will continue to happen.Q: When you put Mendenhall on IR, did you think then that he’d be able to come back before the season ended?KC: Yeah, he could’ve come back late in the year. We put him down in September, and between then and the playoffs you’re going to need another spot. Can you afford to carry him? At that time we didn’t think we could afford to carry him. I remember talking about it at the time, that it was a possibility.Q: Did the fact he’s a rookie factor in?KC: I think it did. He’s missing a lot of time. I think if it’s a veteran guy, like the Steelers did with Rod Woodson their Super Bowl year – they kept him alive the whole year because he was Rod Woodson -- he knew what to do and could come back and play like he did.Q: What about the safety crop compared to other years?KC: Not as deep on the top end of things. There are probably going to be a lot of later-round guys who could possibly stick. Sometimes it’s deep at the top or the middle or the bottom. This time it’s more toward the middle or the bottom.Q: Will you be meeting with James Harrison’s agent this week?KC: Yeah. Absolutely.Q: Why the rush on him?KC: James is one year out, so he’s legal, so to speak, from our policy standpoint. He’s a great player that we want to lock up. He’s earned it. He’s earned a chance to finish his career here, and we certainly want him to do that.Q: Is his age a concern?KC: No. James, when you talk about him being 31 in real life, but in football life, his early years he didn’t get beat up. He doesn’t have the wear and tear that some of the guys his age would have.Q: Is part of it a reward?KC: We recognize what James Harrison has done for this organization. He made a game-changing play in the Super Bowl. He’s a special player. He’s proven that. From a selfish standpoint, we want him to finish his career here. From his standpoint, he’s earned that, so you want to take care of him.Q: Is Kendall Simmons 100 percent?KC: Kendall’s still recovering [Achilles' tendon]. Could he play today? No. But he’s not ahead or behind. He’s right on schedule. He still has to continue his rehab. All signs are that he will make it, but he’s not there yet.Q: Did you break your prototype with Harrison at outside linebacker?KC: Probably. The ideal outside linebacker is what 6-3? James wasn’t that ideal height. Then he was a free agent, had a great motor, and showed some pass rush abilities. You hoped that he could learn the other stuff. He’s not the prototype, but it says something about what he’s done to overcome that stereotype. Now, he has some built-in advantages as well because with the tackles getting bigger he gets under them. There are probably some built-in advantages to being shorter.Q: What about cornerback?KC: There are some good corners. We talked about the spread offenses from a negative standpoint, but there are more receivers and more corners because somebody’s got to cover all those receivers. This year we’re starting to see that.Q: What about running backs?KC: They all came out last year. We had to wait for the juniors to enhance this class. It’s OK, but not like last year.Q: Last year you said the tackle class was the best you’ve seen in 25 years. Is this one close at all?KC: No. Last year there were nine in the first round. That was unusual.Q: Can you go into this draft saying you have to have, say, an offensive lineman?KC: Absolutely not. If you go into a draft trying to fill a need you’re going to make a mistake.Q: How do you feel Santonio Holmes will handle the acclaim?KC: We don’t know. It’ll be a challenge for him. I think it’ll be a positive for him. It wasn’t only the one play in the Super Bowl; he had a really good playoff stretch for us. He made a ton of big plays. It change you as a player. Hopefully it doesn’t change him as a person.Q: Is William Gay ready?KC: Gay’s done some nice things, but you never really know if somebody’s ready to become a regular. We saw some things in William Gay’s play that maybe he can be, but you don’t know if they’re going to be ready. They’re kind of like draft picks: You don’t know how they’re going to be at the next level, and you don’t know how backups are going to be as a starter. Unless you know for sure, you’re better off keeping your starter if you can.Q: Are you worried about Deshea Townsend’s body breaking down?KC: Yeah, I mean, any player that gets older, especially at a skill position, you worry about that. Deshea’s intelligence and instincts have always made up for a lack of size and speed, whatever. So he has some compensating factors and that help
Good stuff :thumbdown: :goodposting:

Sorry for the time warp, but I had to get this off my chest...

I just rewatched the SB for the 1st time since it aired live...Watching it real-time it's tough for me to get a perception of what's really going on b/c I am a lunatic, but after today I think this...

- The Steelers were clearly superior to the Cards. The fact that they were even in the game is amazing to me. I know the late 4th qtr hiccup happened, but if the Steelers punch that last one in for a TD instead of having to kick a FG, the Cards were toast. Credit to the Cards D for not giving up after the running into the holder gave us 1st & goal at the 5.

- The officiating was only marginal....not horrible like some say. They called some ticky-tack penalties on both sides and I think they evened it out by the end. (Holding for safety, Pers Foul on Ike when both he and Boldin were pushing, the Holding Penalty on the last drive).

- Ben should have been the MVP. I know the catch Holmes made was awesome and Santonio did play a very good game, but the fact is Ben played at a very high level all game. the Int wasn't his fault (tipped) and I didn't notice any blatantly missed WRs. James Harrison played great too but I think Ben wins the race in a photo finish.

-I am shocked the Steelers were able to win the SB with that joke of an O-Line...and therefore no run game. This is why my previous bullet is "extra" valid. Without Ben playing a very good game, they would have lost, no doubt.

-Al Michaels is a veiled Steeler hater. He wouldn't come out and say it, but the constant references the the penalty disparity (at one point it was Cards 95 yds in penalties and Steelers 35) and quipping about how Mike Holmgren would feel. It was a little off-putting I must say.

-The Steelers record when leading by 11 points is ridiculous. I think it's now 143-1-1 since 1988. Seriously, that's mind boggling. I wonder who is 2nd to them in this and what their record is.

-I can't wait to see what they can do with a (hopefully) improved O-line, a running game that is actually reminiscent of a Steeler run game, a returning #1 defense and a QB that has blossomed. I am bullish on the Steelers short term future. BUY, BUY, BUY!

What a great season. I hope the NFL puts out the "ROAD TO SUPER BOWL XLIII" like they did for SB XL...

Sorry for the time warp, but I had to get this off my chest...

I just rewatched the SB for the 1st time since it aired live...Watching it real-time it's tough for me to get a perception of what's really going on b/c I am a lunatic, but after today I think this...

- The Steelers were clearly superior to the Cards. The fact that they were even in the game is amazing to me. I know the late 4th qtr hiccup happened, but if the Steelers punch that last one in for a TD instead of having to kick a FG, the Cards were toast. Credit to the Cards D for not giving up after the running into the holder gave us 1st & goal at the 5.

- The officiating was only marginal....not horrible like some say. They called some ticky-tack penalties on both sides and I think they evened it out by the end. (Holding for safety, Pers Foul on Ike when both he and Boldin were pushing, the Holding Penalty on the last drive).

- Ben should have been the MVP. I know the catch Holmes made was awesome and Santonio did play a very good game, but the fact is Ben played at a very high level all game. the Int wasn't his fault (tipped) and I didn't notice any blatantly missed WRs. James Harrison played great too but I think Ben wins the race in a photo finish.

-I am shocked the Steelers were able to win the SB with that joke of an O-Line...and therefore no run game. This is why my previous bullet is "extra" valid. Without Ben playing a very good game, they would have lost, no doubt.

-Al Michaels is a veiled Steeler hater. He wouldn't come out and say it, but the constant references the the penalty disparity (at one point it was Cards 95 yds in penalties and Steelers 35) and quipping about how Mike Holmgren would feel. It was a little off-putting I must say.

-The Steelers record when leading by 11 points is ridiculous. I think it's now 143-1-1 since 1988. Seriously, that's mind boggling. I wonder who is 2nd to them in this and what their record is.

-I can't wait to see what they can do with a (hopefully) improved O-line, a running game that is actually reminiscent of a Steeler run game, a returning #1 defense and a QB that has blossomed. I am bullish on the Steelers short term future. BUY, BUY, BUY!

What a great season. I hope the NFL puts out the "ROAD TO SUPER BOWL XLIII" like they did for SB XL...
:thumbup: Although I agree an argument can be made for Ben, I still think Holmes deserved it. There were two great catches he made that were negated by penalties that would have bailed them out. Lets not forget the play where the safety resulted from the holding penalty, but Holmes had a nice play.

Oh well, its all in the bag, so who cares. I do still find it wierd that 2 of the 3 WR that have gotten a SB MVP in history have come from the Steelers, beings that they are an "obvious" run team.

God, I love this town.

It just dawned on me, forgive me I'm a bit slow...........We won the SB without Alan Faneca.

I was sitting here pondering what Big Red's take on all of this must be. Remember the nasty year long contract situation and the underground talk of his subversive influence over his linemates, I heard from more than one source there was big trouble in Little China. Has anyone forgotten 8-8 in 2006 and the humiliation of losing to the Raiders in Oakland, YOI!

Two SB rings makes the HOF voters soften all the more. But did his decision to take the big money and run to the Jets cost him the HOF?

He was having a remarkable career with the Stillers.

To quote a cheesy line from Remember the Titans,

"You just cost yourself the Hall of Fame"

"You just cost yourself the Hall of Fame"

With the patchwork line we had just being barely enough to get it done, my guess is that Faneca must be very put out..........

My two cents.........

Willie Colon, we did it! Despite You..........................

It just dawned on me, forgive me I'm a bit slow...........We won the SB without Alan Faneca.I was sitting here pondering what Big Red's take on all of this must be. Remember the nasty year long contract situation and the underground talk of his subversive influence over his linemates, I heard from more than one source there was big trouble in Little China. Has anyone forgotten 8-8 in 2006 and the humiliation of losing to the Raiders in Oakland, YOI!Two SB rings makes the HOF voters soften all the more. But did his decision to take the big money and run to the Jets cost him the HOF?He was having a remarkable career with the Stillers.To quote a cheesy line from Remember the Titans,"You just cost yourself the Hall of Fame""You just cost yourself the Hall of Fame"With the patchwork line we had just being barely enough to get it done, my guess is that Faneca must be very put out..........My two cents.........Willie Colon, we did it! Despite You..........................
I am sure there is a little bit of emotion seeing your old teammates celebrating a Super Bowl victory but I am thinking the $40 million contract Faneca received from the Jets more than makes up for it. It would be different if Faneca had never won a SB but he did.As far as the HoF goes playing a couple seasons in NYC might help him make the HoF even more than a second SB would have.

Jeff Saturday... WANTS to be a Steeler.

Saturday might be alright for signing

By John Harris, TRIBUNE-REVIEW

Wednesday, February 25, 2009

It might be a shot in the dark, but it makes enough sense for the Steelers to at least consider the possibility of acquiring one of the NFL's top offensive linemen.

Three-time Pro Bowl center Jeff Saturday, who becomes an unrestricted free agent at 12:01 a.m. Friday, wants to join the Steelers. And not necessarily as a center.

"I talked to Jeff after the Super Bowl, and he said if you can get me there, that would be beautiful," said Pittsburgh-based agent Ralph Cindrich. "This is a Rooney-type of guy if ever there was one."

Are the Steelers interested in adding a 10-year veteran who missed four games last season because of injuries? And, if they are interested, can they afford him?

Also, Justin Hartwig started every game at center, as the Steelers won Super Bowl XLIII. Hartwig, who is entering the final year of his contract, doesn't turn 31 until November. Saturday turns 34 in June.

"He's happy to play guard. He started in the league at guard. He told me, 'I'll play anywhere,' " Cindrich said Tuesday.

The Steelers hope to re-sign Chris Kemoeatu, who is regarded as the top free-agent guard. But Kemoeatu likely will test the market.

Cindrich said Saturday compares favorably with another one of his clients, Steelers defensive captain James Farrior, who led the team in tackles and was named to his second Pro Bowl in his 12th season. Farrior is 34.

"I believe that James Farrior is one of the best leaders in the NFL. Jeff Saturday is equal to Farrior. He really controls the whole offensive line, makes every call," Cindrich said. "It's a Farrior-type situation, where age scares teams. Farrior's first four to five years, he didn't get beat up. Jeff is the same way."

As per team policy, Steelers director of football operations Kevin Colbert won't discuss potential free agents.

One of the league's top centers, Saturday appeared in the Pro Bowl from 2005 through 2007 and is a two-time Pro Bowl alternate (2004, 2008). He was named AP All-NFL twice (2005, 2007).

He has started all 16 games in seven of nine seasons with Indianapolis since becoming a regular. He started 12 games in 2008, missing the first two weeks with a knee injury and weeks 13 and 14 with a calf injury.

During Saturday's absence, the Colts' offensive production fell off. In the 12 games that he started, the Colts averaged 25.1 points, 87.4 yards rushing and quarterback Peyton Manning had a passer rating of 98.1. In the four games that Saturday missed, the Colts averaged 19.0 points, 56.3 yards rushing and Manning had a passer rating of 86.3.

Cindrich said Saturday is choosing to wade into free agency after the Colts made an attempt to re-sign him.

"Unless the market is totally flat, I don't think (he'll return to the Colts)," Cindrich said. "I feel like something could be done, but you never know about the Steelers. They like to pay their own more than somebody else. Jeff came back from injury and played strong. I honestly believe he could make a difference."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburgh...s/s_613269.html
Saturday > Kemo. Stapleton. Simmons.
I very well may make this article the background on my computer

Users who are viewing this thread