What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Breaking Bad on AMC (6 Viewers)

I only watched the first season of 24 and agree with Marvin's assessment. Awful.
Well, how can I debate your expert opinion?
I don't mean to debate the merits of 24. I'm just pointing out that "24 was even MORE unrealistic" isn't a great argument to those of us that thought 24 was a steaming turd.
24 was a great show. Suspend reality just a little bit obviously. But it basically invented the week to week cliffhanger.
:goodposting:

I only watched the first season of 24 and agree with Marvin's assessment. Awful.
I don't mean to debate the merits of 24. I'm just pointing out that "24 was even MORE unrealistic" isn't a great argument to those of us that thought 24 was a steaming turd.
24 was a great show. Suspend reality just a little bit obviously. But it basically invented the week to week cliffhanger.
:lmao: Is this shtick?

Why did they have to wait for the train to stop to have all the pumps in place and ready to be hooked up? Put a camo tarp over it if you didn't want the engineers to see it passing by. Seemed like a lot of wasted time.

I know we don't have to put theories in spoiler tags, but out of consideration to the whiney dillholes in here, and because I'm so convinced that this is how it ends up playing out, I'll wrap this one up just to be safe:

At this point, I have myself convinced that the machine gun scene = Walt & Todd vs. Mike & Jesse. They split down the middle and battle over the whole operation. Each side has 1 chemist/brainy planner type & 1 ruthless killer/heavy muscle type. That balance is too even to be unintentional – either pair could run the whole operation without the other two. And, in a 'student becomes the master' moment, my money would be on Jesse outsmarting Walt in a big way somehow... leading to his downfall or death.
I think you may be right about that last part, at least, since
Jesse James was shot by a member of his own gang. There have been 2 direct references to Walt being Jesse James so far this season.
I thought that was Billy the Kid.

Maybe he's 20

I could have missed a show or two before it...But 24 was known for having that "game-changing" ending at the end of almost every episode.

I'm not saying it didn't happen on other shows before that, but it they did it week after week and really affected TV as we know it....imo

I think Gilligan has said something about the show not being entirely realistic, and that they're sometimes willing to sacrifice realism for impact, for lack of a better word.

Maybe he's 20
:lmao:

Why did they have to wait for the train to stop to have all the pumps in place and ready to be hooked up? Put a camo tarp over it if you didn't want the engineers to see it passing by. Seemed like a lot of wasted time.
Thought the same thing while it was happening. But later I realized they didn't lose any time because the engineers need to be out of the cab before they get the go signal for hookup.

I could have missed a show or two before it...But 24 was known for having that "game-changing" ending at the end of almost every episode.

I'm not saying it didn't happen on other shows before that, but it they did it week after week and really affected TV as we know it....imo
Like every soap opera on TV. And they do it every day.

I thought the same thing. It's not like engineers were going to hear the motor running the pump, but Walt waited until after the flow started to pull the cord. WTF? Get the hoses laid out and have everyone run up as soon as the engine passes, not once it was at a full stop. Walt wasted valuable seconds.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know we don't have to put theories in spoiler tags, but out of consideration to the whiney dillholes in here, and because I'm so convinced that this is how it ends up playing out, I'll wrap this one up just to be safe:

At this point, I have myself convinced that the machine gun scene = Walt & Todd vs. Mike & Jesse. They split down the middle and battle over the whole operation. Each side has 1 chemist/brainy planner type & 1 ruthless killer/heavy muscle type. That balance is too even to be unintentional – either pair could run the whole operation without the other two. And, in a 'student becomes the master' moment, my money would be on Jesse outsmarting Walt in a big way somehow... leading to his downfall or death.
Mike>>>>>>>>>>Todd

Mike>>>>>>>>>>ToddTodd doesn't take half measures.We've seen Mike do that a few times.

Mike>>>>>>>>>>Todd
Todd doesn't take half measures.We've seen Mike do that a few times.Todd has none of Mike's experience and connections that we know of. All we know is that he won't hesitate to pull the trigger, even if it may cause more problems than it solves. Good luck with that. I'll take Mike.

There really needs to be two categories of TV: TV pre-HBO and TV post-HBO. Once HBO started creating outstanding television and AMC continued with that level of quality, much of television before pales in comparison.

No, it was invented by Rocky and Bullwinkle.

There really needs to be two categories of TV: TV pre-HBO and TV post-HBO. Once HBO started creating outstanding television and AMC continued with that level of quality, much of television before pales in comparison.
The networks will continue to churn out one-trick dreck like 24 long after Walter White goes to the big meth lab in the sky. Nothing to do with HBO really.

The networks will continue to churn out one-trick dreck like 24 long after Walter White goes to the big meth lab in the sky. Nothing to do with HBO really.
No comprende.

No comprende.
I'm saying the networks make TV for idiots regardless of what HBO is doingTalking networks here... NBC, CBS, ABC, Fox, etc

And I'm not trying to bash anyone for their tastes.. everybody has their own weakness for idiotic entertainment.. personally, I go for Survivor and pointless late night junk like Conan and Letterman

Mike>>>>>>>>>>Todd
Todd doesn't take half measures.We've seen Mike do that a few times.
Todd has none of Mike's experience and connections that we know of. All we know is that he won't hesitate to pull the trigger, even if it may cause more problems than it solves. Good luck with that. I'll take Mike.I think the dynamic will be more like Mike vs. Walt (supported by Todd/Landry), with Jesse caught in the middle, and moreso gravitating towards Mike.

No comprende.
I'm saying the networks make TV for idiots regardless of what HBO is doingTalking networks here... NBC, CBS, ABC, Fox, etc
Ah, yes. I see. I only meant to illustrate that it's tough comparing traditional networks vs. HBO and AMC - because the networks play it safe. I know people like to point out that HBO has an unfair advantage because they can show nudity and use cuss words. But that's a copout. FOX passed on The Sopranos. Big surprise. The Sopranos was great enough to where you could have cut back on the violence, eliminated the cussing, and it'd still be a great show.

Does anyone believe a traditional network would have the guts to produce a show like Breaking Bad? I don't.

Pretty sure 90210 debunks your whole thought right there
Plus, 90210 invented the cliffhanger.

No comprende.
Ah, yes. I see. I only meant to illustrate that it's tough comparing traditional networks vs. HBO and AMC - because the networks play it safe. I know people like to point out that HBO has an unfair advantage because they can show nudity and use cuss words. But that's a copout. FOX passed on The Sopranos. Big surprise. The Sopranos was great enough to where you could have cut back on the violence, eliminated the cussing, and it'd still be a great show.

Does anyone believe a traditional network would have the guts to produce a show like Breaking Bad? I don't.
No, absolutely not. Or else they would have by now. I don't think they've even tried to break out of the box on that kind of stuff. Yeah you don't have to be HBO, two-bit AMC gets by with only the best show ever on TV. FX does alright too.. Fox won't put those kinds of shows on its broadcast network, and that speaks to your point as well.

Fox fakes the funk a little with its grown-uppy Sunday night cartoons but those are mindless nonsense as well.

Mike>>>>>>>>>>Todd
Todd doesn't take half measures.We've seen Mike do that a few times.
Todd has none of Mike's experience and connections that we know of. All we know is that he won't hesitate to pull the trigger, even if it may cause more problems than it solves. Good luck with that. I'll take Mike.good points

Todd's the perfect guy for Walt. Will unquestioningly follow orders, eager to please.

He's like Jesse without a conscience.

I watched most of the seasons of 24, and I "enjoyed it", but I'd have to disagree that it was a "great show" - and not because of it being realistic or not (and let's be honest they took many more liberties in 24). The cinematography isn't in the same league, the writing and dialog was sloppy, and most of the performances not named Keifer weren't very good.

[This is what I thougt too. In terms of suspense and great dialogue, this episode was definitely top 5. The opening foreshadow and ending scene were perhaps the greatest cinematic display in TV history. But I found it a little unfortunate we had to suspend some semblance of reality to get through the episode. Examples include:- Walt somehow knowing that him crying to Hank would both get Hank to leave the room (somewhat believable) AND that he would shut the blinds (not nearly as believable).
Walt just got lucky with the blinds. He had never even seen Hank's new office before that visit, so he didn't know it would have interior windows. If the blinds had been left open he would have had to be a little sneakier, but probably could have done it without raising suspicion.

[This is what I thougt too. In terms of suspense and great dialogue, this episode was definitely top 5. The opening foreshadow and ending scene were perhaps the greatest cinematic display in TV history. But I found it a little unfortunate we had to suspend some semblance of reality to get through the episode. Examples include:- Walt somehow knowing that him crying to Hank would both get Hank to leave the room (somewhat believable) AND that he would shut the blinds (not nearly as believable).
Walt just got lucky with the blinds. He had never even seen Hank's new office before that visit, so he didn't know it would have interior windows. If the blinds had been left open he would have had to be a little sneakier, but probably could have done it without raising suspicion.
I think Walt's bugging of the phone and picture is going to bite him in the ### big time. If Hank finds these things (which I'm certain he will) how much would it take for him to put 2 and 2 together?

I think Walt's bugging of the phone and picture is going to bite him in the ### big time. If Hank finds these things (which I'm certain he will) how much would it take for him to put 2 and 2 together?
I thought the same thing when he walked in on Walt holding the picture. Hank has a pretty big blind spot when it comes to Walt though.

I would think they would do weekly sweeps of the offices at DEA

24 has obviously been surpassed by other shows now, but I'll always defend it for what it was. It wasn't as deep as other great shows and character development was pretty weak, but man, was it fun to watch.Inventing the weekly cliffhanger might be a little strong (though, I don't know what's a better candidate), but in it's time, it best answered the question "why in the hell would I shell out $50 for a season of a TV show?".The DVD experience for 24 was simply fantastic.The other impressive thing about 24 was they cranked out over 125 hours of gripping TV. That's granting the severe drop off after season 5. In the days of 13 episode seasons and with so few shows hitting season 5 still running strong, what 24 did was quite a feat. It's not in my Top 5 anymore, but it's not far off.

I think this is the beginning of the Walt vs Jesse in earnest... My bet is that Jesse ends up dead.
Not a stretch considering
Jesse was supposed to die the first season. I feel the writers will still stick to their original outline for Walt, so Jesse goes out in a blaze of glory that impacts Walt and then we head down the home stretch of whatever was originally intended for Walt (dying of cancer alone after building an empire and sacrificing all that he once cared about)

So whose bed is Walt planting the taranchula in?
Who's ear is it going to sleep in tonight?
Good of you to remember to log out the NIU kicker! :excited:
Busted....Keep it a secret in the wager thread.... I like the schtickI know that whole thing set you off, but that ******* took half my bowl season profits as well.
I figured it out because you are the only wagering thread veteran who comes here.
:popcorn:

'pollardsvision said:
24 has obviously been surpassed by other shows now, but I'll always defend it for what it was. It wasn't as deep as other great shows and character development was pretty weak, but man, was it fun to watch.Inventing the weekly cliffhanger might be a little strong (though, I don't know what's a better candidate), but in it's time, it best answered the question "why in the hell would I shell out $50 for a season of a TV show?".The DVD experience for 24 was simply fantastic.The other impressive thing about 24 was they cranked out over 125 hours of gripping TV. That's granting the severe drop off after season 5. In the days of 13 episode seasons and with so few shows hitting season 5 still running strong, what 24 did was quite a feat. It's not in my Top 5 anymore, but it's not far off.
24 was and always has been mindless fun. It wasn't the best show on TV when it was on TV; so much on HBO airing the same time just blew it away.It's decent/good for a network show. That's about it. On an absolute scale, it was never really that good. Sorry. Sure as hell wasn't anywhere near top 5 all time, ever, at any point.

'Cunk said:
'PlasmaDogPlasma said:
'Zow said:
I was surprised they didn't show Walt wiping down either of the devices after planting them. Seemed pretty likely that he left finger prints on them.

'Major said:
'Jojo the circus boy said:
Mike, from the preview for next week:

"I'm aware of only two kinds of heists. Those where the men got away, and those that left witnesses."

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
Thanks for reminding me why I am done with this thread. :thumbup: There is no way anyone who watched last week's previews enjoyed tonight's episode as much as those of us who avoid previews. I watched last week's previews after watching tonight's episode. You guys are missing out on a lot of the fun by letting the network marketing tease you on the next epsiode to get you to watch. I thought killing there was a real chance Lydia was going to get killed. If I saw the preview I would have know she wasn't. Can't believe some of you are so dense that you don't get that previews are spoilers.
:thumbup:
You guys are welcome to GTFO. This was never an issue the first 4 seasons in this thread.
Whenever someone comments in a thread telling someone to 'GTFO' it attracts all the trolls to have a troll argument under the troll bridge.

'comfortably numb said:
'jdoggydogg said:
'comfortably numb said:
'jdoggydogg said:
'Wrighteous Ray said:
:headbang:

'JZilla said:
'jdoggydogg said:
'JZilla said:
'jdoggydogg said:
'JZilla said:
'jdoggydogg said:
'Wrighteous Ray said:
No comprende.

No, absolutely not. Or else they would have by now. I don't think they've even tried to break out of the box on that kind of stuff. Yeah you don't have to be HBO, two-bit AMC gets by with only the best show ever on TV. FX does alright too.. Fox won't put those kinds of shows on its broadcast network, and that speaks to your point as well.

Fox fakes the funk a little with its grown-uppy Sunday night cartoons but those are mindless nonsense as well.
I'd argue network TV has far less honest content than in many previous years. Hill Street Blues, All in the Family...these kind of shows rarely exist on networks.

Users who are viewing this thread