What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Breaking Bad on AMC (4 Viewers)

'jamny said:
I think they've gone a little too overboard with Walt's character. The whole "I'm creating an empire!" line was a bit cheesy. We're supposed to believe he's gotten this tough over the course of a year and then he timidly allows Mike to pull him around the office and restrain him to the radiator without a fight. Like he couldn't have tried to defend himself while he was being frisked. I'm having a tough time fully buying into this transition.
its about ego, knowing that he could be worth 600 million but gave that up for 5 grand. now he has an opportunity in his mind to make that money again and i think he would rather die trying rather than living his pedestrian life with a wife who cheated on him, a crippled son, and a daughter who was a mistake, all while maybe having a recurrence of cancer.the line to jesse regarding grey matter was a defining explanation to the viewers of why he isnt taking 5 million. that isnt a lot of money to someone who thinks they can be worth a billiion.
I get all that. I just think they're pushing the boundaries of credibility this season. At least for me.
his act of being tough is just that...an act.walt is a chemistry teacher. what is he going to do with mike that wont get him killed? he cant out muscle mike so picked his spot. however, my guess is that the young hungry muscle may be what walt is looking for to end his mike problem.

Walt turning into a d-bag.
That's pretty much the whole crux of the show. You were probably better off punching out after a couple of seasons. :shrug:
yeah thatship sailed when he got into the kid poisoning business.but honestly, if you are going to be a meth dealer, there is no morale meth dealer. you either go all in, kill people, and do what it takes to survive, or you dont do it at all.the young guy who killed the boy did the right thing in that instance. you cannot risk a kid in passing telling someone what he saw and who knows what happens. maybe nothing, maybe its what gets them all in jail for the rest of their lives.

'JZilla said:
Lot of people looking way too much into the Grey Matter thingHe brought it up because it was relevant to the situation with Jessie bailing on the meth biz. He's not concerned with those people.
Disagree. Walt has shifted his reason for making money from doing it for his family to competing with Elliot.Last week I asked why Walt doesn't just live in an apartment. This week I wondered why Skyler doesn't just turn him in. She can either get immunity or somehow clear any evidence of her involvement before telling Hank. Why is she driving herself insane? Just turn him in already.BTW, last night was my favorite episode of the season. Back to the old BB with big tension between characters and their motives.
She doesn't exactly get off scott-free, she's in it and would do time (at least in her mind). Sure there is a chance she could workout a sweetheart deal with the DA but even that is not a sure-thing.

but honestly, if you are going to be a meth dealer, there is no morale (sic) meth dealer. you either go all in, kill people, and do what it takes to survive, or you dont do it at all.
This is not true.
Yes it is. Unless you keep yourself completely isolated to the lab. But then you're not a dealer, just a cook, but you still have to realize your product causes nothing but deth. If you deal, people die because of you and people will want to kill you to take what you have. That's the whole point of the show. There's no happy guilt free ending to the manufacture and sale of drugs, no matter the intentions. The characters are revealed by their reaction to this simple truth.

but honestly, if you are going to be a meth dealer, there is no morale (sic) meth dealer. you either go all in, kill people, and do what it takes to survive, or you dont do it at all.
This is not true.
Yes it is. Unless you keep yourself completely isolated to the lab. But then you're not a dealer, just a cook, but you still have to realize your product causes nothing but deth. If you deal, people die because of you and people will want to kill you to take what you have. That's the whole point of the show. There's no happy guilt free ending to the manufacture and sale of drugs, no matter the intentions. The characters are revealed by their reaction to this simple truth.
You're talking about something different, e.g. having to accept that the methamphetamine you make is going to kill people/ruin lives. This I agree with. Bagger (I presume) is talking about killing people (when necessary) in a more direct fashion, potential witnesses and such, and that this is an ostensible part of creating/distributing hard drugs. I know from second-hand experience that this is not the case. :shrug:

'jamny said:
I think they've gone a little too overboard with Walt's character. The whole "I'm creating an empire!" line was a bit cheesy. We're supposed to believe he's gotten this tough over the course of a year and then he timidly allows Mike to pull him around the office and restrain him to the radiator without a fight. Like he couldn't have tried to defend himself while he was being frisked. I'm having a tough time fully buying into this transition.
its about ego, knowing that he could be worth 600 million but gave that up for 5 grand. now he has an opportunity in his mind to make that money again and i think he would rather die trying rather than living his pedestrian life with a wife who cheated on him, a crippled son, and a daughter who was a mistake, all while maybe having a recurrence of cancer.the line to jesse regarding grey matter was a defining explanation to the viewers of why he isnt taking 5 million. that isnt a lot of money to someone who thinks they can be worth a billiion.
I get all that. I just think they're pushing the boundaries of credibility this season. At least for me.
his act of being tough is just that...an act.walt is a chemistry teacher. what is he going to do with mike that wont get him killed? he cant out muscle mike so picked his spot. however, my guess is that the young hungry muscle may be what walt is looking for to end his mike problem.
No he's not. He's the most famous meth cook around. He has killed. He has poisoned a child. He has disolved bodies in acid. He has build a drug cartel. He is not a chemistry teacher. Are you watching this show at all?

'jamny said:
No he's not. He's the most famous meth cook around. He has killed. He has poisoned a child. He has disolved bodies in acid. He has build a drug cartel. He is not a chemistry teacher. Are you watching this show at all?
which of those acts would allow him to fight off mike given his background?

Maybe when Holly starts crawling somebody changes the outlets to the child safety kind and discovers the ricin? Seems like a stretch but that's the only way I can think of that a character other than Walt would be messing around with the outlets.
It was a light switch, not an outlet if I remember correctly.

'jamny said:
Nothing. Mike had a gun. If it was Walt with the gun and Mike without, it would have gone the same way. The person with the gun has the upper hand on the person without the gun.

'jamny said:
Nothing. Mike had a gun. If it was Walt with the gun and Mike without, it would have gone the same way. The person with the gun has the upper hand on the person without the gun.
just trying to figure out why you posted.

'jamny said:
just trying to figure out why you posted.
Good luck with that. I suggest starting with the text that was bolded.

the idea that Walt is supposed to disarm Mike because he's ruthless and playing a "tough guy" is silly.

Mike is tough. Walt is fake tough.

Gale was also a meth cook. That doesn't mean he can disarm and beat up an experienced former cop and drug heavy like Mike.Walt is a scientist who wants to be a drug kingpin. He's not Chuck Norris.

the idea that Walt is supposed to disarm Mike because he's ruthless and playing a "tough guy" is silly.Mike is tough. Walt is fake tough.
Toughness is irrelevant. There is a gun involved. They have both proven they can kill people.
right.this conversation started b/c someone said they didn't buy Walt meekly letting Mike boss him around and tie him up. They expected him to put up a fight.that's ridiculous. not sure what you are arguing or who you are arguing with here.

Gale was also a meth cook. That doesn't mean he can disarm and beat up an experienced former cop and drug heavy like Mike.Walt is a scientist who wants to be a drug kingpin. He's not Chuck Norris.
Walt is a murderer who is pretty much a drug kingpin. This whole "wannabe" angle people are playing here is odd. It's not like he's operating without a license. And it's also not like he hasn't showed some serious stones.

Walt is a murderer who is pretty much a drug kingpin. This whole "wannabe" angle people are playing here is odd. It's not like he's operating without a license. And it's also not like he hasn't showed some serious stones.
So you expected him to take the gun from Mike and pistol whip him rather than be tied up to a radiator? Because that's what the initial post was saying basically.

the idea that Walt is supposed to disarm Mike because he's ruthless and playing a "tough guy" is silly.Mike is tough. Walt is fake tough.
Toughness is irrelevant. There is a gun involved. They have both proven they can kill people.
right.this conversation started b/c someone said they didn't buy Walt meekly letting Mike boss him around and tie him up. They expected him to put up a fight.that's ridiculous. not sure what you are arguing or who you are arguing with here.
I bolded what I was responding to and it was also speaking to this tone I see of people who seem to think Walt is somehow not a real drug ring operative because he was once a school teacher.

I bolded what I was responding to and it was also speaking to this tone I see of people who seem to think Walt is somehow not a real drug ring operative because he was once a school teacher.
he's not the type of guy who is going to win a lot of physical altercations with people who are bigger or better trained than him.Gus wouldn't be hiring him for security detail like he did Mike.

Last edited by a moderator:
'jamny said:
I think it fits perfectly. Do you know many scientists and engineers? The power trips they have are to do with their intelligence. A lot of them are introverts who talk #### when mere ideas are involved. Once in a physical confrontation they retreat back into their shells.

'jamny said:
I think it fits perfectly. Do you know many scientists and engineers? The power trips they have are to do with their intelligence. A lot of them are introverts who talk #### when mere ideas are involved. Once in a physical confrontation they retreat back into their shells.
Right. They know who he really is. It's perfectly logical that he'd have no chance against Mike, gun or not. So why are they buying his bravado? Mike and Jesse should have been laughing in his face after a few of the comments he's made lately. Why is Skyler sticking around, staying in the house? She should have been saying, #### you loser...I'm outta here. I just think they're playing his tough guy persona up too much. It seems a little comical.

'jamny said:
Right. They know who he really is. It's perfectly logical that he'd have no chance against Mike, gun or not. So why are they buying his bravado? Mike and Jesse should have been laughing in his face after a few of the comments he's made lately. Why is Skyler sticking around, staying in the house? She should have been saying, #### you loser...I'm outta here. I just think they're playing his tough guy persona up too much. It seems a little comical.
this is the same guy who got to Gus.he's not harmless. seems like they respect what he's capable of because they know what he's done in the past.

'jamny said:
this is the same guy who got to Gus.he's not harmless. seems like they respect what he's capable of because they know what he's done in the past.
Walt has gotten the better of everybody he's encountered. This idea that he's some sissy simpleton is ridiculous. He's had his head in the lion's mouth time and time again and keeps coming out on top.

Even if his new plan works, Walt doesn't seem like he would have an easy time letting Mike get away with trying to steal his share, forcing him to sell, and tying him up like that.

Walt has gotten the better of everybody he's encountered. This idea that he's some sissy simpleton is ridiculous. He's had his head in the lion's mouth time and time again and keeps coming out on top.
Sure, but he hasn't been in the game very long. And the fact that he's managed to repeatedly get his head stuck in the lion's mouth doesn't bode well for him.

Sure, but he hasn't been in the game very long. And the fact that he's managed to repeatedly get his head stuck in the lion's mouth doesn't bode well for him.
That's kind of the nature of the drug trade. Especially when you don't have a guy like Mike on your team to handle your scraps for you.

Even if his new plan works, Walt doesn't seem like he would have an easy time letting Mike get away with trying to steal his share, forcing him to sell, and tying him up like that.
As well as pointing a gun to his head (again) at the end of last night's ep. This is different than when Jesse did the same since there was never a bond between between Walt and Mike they have always been at odds.Mike is going down, as much of a strong and pivotal character he is to the show there will be a showdown between Walt and Mike before there is one between Walt and Hank. The only alternative is Walt earns Mike's respect but it seems too much of a stretch based on Mike's character thus far.

Yes Walt is a drug dealer and has killed people but he cannot take a violent killer like Mike head on, gun or no gun. Walt has killed a guy locked to a post by his neck in a basement, two drug dealers by running them over with his car while they were completely distracted by Jesse and Gus using a bomb. No way is he a mano-a-mano throw down bad man like Mike.

The closest Walt came to that was when he intimidated the guys he saw buying cook supplies in Home Depot and if the bid dude had called Walt's bluff Walt would have ended up in the hospital again.

Yes Walt is a drug dealer and has killed people but he cannot take a violent killer like Mike head on, gun or no gun. Walt has killed a guy locked to a post by his neck in a basement, two drug dealers by running them over with his car while they were completely distracted by Jesse and Gus using a bomb. No way is he a mano-a-mano throw down bad man like Mike.

The closest Walt came to that was when he intimidated the guys he saw buying cook supplies in Home Depot and if the bid dude had called Walt's bluff Walt would have ended up in the hospital again.
He did take down the guy laughing at Flynn in the clothing store.

I thought Mike and Jesse were going to break off from Walt and do their own thing, not just sell the supply and retire.

Still possible I guess.

And walked into Tuco's and blew it up in his face while standing there. Being tough isn't just fighting with your fists. It's being willing to kill and maim. Walt has proven he is not afraid to kill or maim.

And walked into Tuco's and blew it up in his face while standing there. Being tough isn't just fighting with your fists. It's being willing to kill and maim. Walt has proven he is not afraid to kill or maim.
That's nice and I agree but again Walt works in his own medium. He didn't go in and throw down with Tuco he has a big bag of highly volatile explosives in his hands. That's the way Walt works, he plays to his strengths.He knows he cannot get into a fist fight with Mike and win, the gun never entered into the equation. In that situation Walt loses and he knows it so he chose not to fight. Walt is a smart guy and it was the right move.

That's nice and I agree but again Walt works in his own medium. He didn't go in and throw down with Tuco he has a big bag of highly volatile explosives in his hands. That's the way Walt works, he plays to his strengths.He knows he cannot get into a fist fight with Mike and win, the gun never entered into the equation. In that situation Walt loses and he knows it so he chose not to fight. Walt is a smart guy and it was the right move.
Agreed.

'jamny said:
walt used the cartel member to do it.the only direct act of violence ww has committed was poisoning a child.dude is not tough. he gets others to do his dirty work, unless it involves children and then he is brave enough to do it.

but honestly, if you are going to be a meth dealer, there is no morale meth dealer. you either go all in, kill people, and do what it takes to survive, or you dont do it at all.
Gale may have been an exception, but he didn't last very long. (Gale rationalized his cooking by saying that meth-heads were going to do meth either way, so they may as well get a product with lab-grade purity. I'm not 100% sure he was wrong.)
the young guy who killed the boy did the right thing in that instance. you cannot risk a kid in passing telling someone what he saw and who knows what happens. maybe nothing, maybe its what gets them all in jail for the rest of their lives.
Unlike with Gale's rationalization, this one I am 100% sure about. The right thing to do would be to accept life in prison over killing an innocent kid.

but honestly, if you are going to be a meth dealer, there is no morale meth dealer. you either go all in, kill people, and do what it takes to survive, or you dont do it at all.
Gale may have been an exception, but he didn't last very long. (Gale rationalized his cooking by saying that meth-heads were going to do meth either way, so they may as well get a product with lab-grade purity. I'm not 100% sure he was wrong.)
the young guy who killed the boy did the right thing in that instance. you cannot risk a kid in passing telling someone what he saw and who knows what happens. maybe nothing, maybe its what gets them all in jail for the rest of their lives.
Unlike with Gale's rationalization, this one I am 100% sure about. The right thing to do would be to accept life in prison over killing an innocent kid.
two clarifications...if your are going to be a SUCCESSFUL meth dealer, and one who doesnt get shot in the face.the second is by "right" i mean if you are in the meth business, that is the "right" thing to do.since i wouldnt go around shooting little boys i am not prone to robbing trains full of meth.

Users who are viewing this thread