What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Breaking Bad on AMC (6 Viewers)

My apologies if this was mentioned already but seems to me that one of Walt's trump cards with Hank is the payment of Hank's medical bills. All of that came from Walt's money. Even if Hank tries to bring Walt in how does he explain that? I'm guessing the "I didn't know" answer will be a rather tough sell.

My apologies if this was mentioned already but seems to me that one of Walt's trump cards with Hank is the payment of Hank's medical bills. All of that came from Walt's money. Even if Hank tries to bring Walt in how does he explain that? I'm guessing the "I didn't know" answer will be a rather tough sell.
exactly. More and more I think about this, Hank wont do #### and Walt knows this.

I dont think Hank will goto the DEA and charge WW. But how else does he become outed publicly?
The easiest way for the writers is to fake his death. Allows Hank to be the hero but still allows Walt to walk and his family to go into hiding.

it would also explain why Carol the neighbor dropped her groceries when she saw WW.
Carol didn't drop the groceries because she was weirded out from seeing Walt because she thought he was dead. She dropped them, and the look on her face confirms it, because she is absolutely terrified of Walt. She sold that look so hard I'm surprised they didn't have her piss herself.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sure it will come up, and I don't know how the writers will play it. But if Hank for some reason declines to pursue Walter and Skyler while knowing that his medical bills were paid by them, he's going beyond playing career suicide. He's joining a criminal racketeering enterprise. Maybe Hank will be tempted, but I highly doubt he'll let that stand in the way of his quest for the truth.

I'm sure it will come up, and I don't know how the writers will play it. But if Hank for some reason declines to pursue Walter and Skyler while knowing that his medical bills were paid by them, he's going beyond playing career suicide. He's joining a criminal racketeering enterprise. Maybe Hank will be tempted, but I highly doubt he'll let that stand in the way of his quest for the truth.
If it's like every other show, it'll be the hesitation that does him in and I'd imagine that's what'll happen.

If he opened up right now, I think he'd be on pretty solid footing. He's kept the investigation going about a half dozen times when the office wanted to close it.

But no, he'll keep investigating without telling anyone, destroying his ability to play it straight with each passing day. I'd love it if BB would do it differently, but it doesn't seem like it. Hank doesn't know about the bills yet, and he's clearly trying to keep the investigation out of the office.

I fear all we're going to get is sniveling from Jesse until somebody puts him out of his misery
Contrived prediction...

I think Hank tries to get to Jesse. He'll realize that Jesse was a pawn and not the ringleader and they have mutual interest - bringing walt down a peg. The only way jesse feels he can geth is hands clean is by bringing down the monster that is Heisenberg.

The poison is for Jesse. The gun is for Todd and the existing operation. If the empire is going to be destroyed then Walt is going to make sure he is the one that destroys it.

Count me in the group that hopes Jesse snaps out of it quickly. They've already done the "Jesse's in emotional turmoil" storyline. No need to do it again.

Damn that episode was some ####.

Since they went this far with the Hank vs. Walt thing in the first episode, I'm feeling the theory I had a few pages back might happen. Something has to change in he dynamic between them to get through 7 more eps.
Plus, from the looks of Walts hair growing back when he returned to the old house, it looks like his cancer is gone.
All his hair being grown back would tell us is that he's stopped chemo. In the flash forward in 5.1, he's coughing up a lung and taking pills. And he has hair. The cancer isn't gone.
Good point
I always thought it was the Chemo that caused the hair loss. He may still have the cancer and quit Chemo because it is hopeless
a publicly known drug kingpin on the run under a fake name cant exactly go into a clinic to get chemo. Him being on the run is basically a death sentence. Which also makes me think hes not on the run from the law cuz i dont think hank will turn him in. Hes on the run from the drug gang.

I dont think Hank will goto the DEA and charge WW. But how else does he become outed publicly?
The easiest way for the writers is to fake his death. Allows Hank to be the hero but still allows Walt to walk and his family to go into hiding.

it would also explain why Carol the neighbor dropped her groceries when she saw WW.
Carol didn't drop the groceries because she was weirded out from seeing Walt because she thought he was dead. She dropped them, and the look on her face confirms it, because she is absolutely terrified of Walt. She sold that look so hard I'm surprised they didn't have her piss herself.
I'm not sure we can conclude just by Carol's reaction if she was in shock he's alive or fear for her life. Typically when somone is in fear they run, and shock they stand there, but I could see both sides,

1) She was in shock that her drug dealer neighbor is alive

2) She was in fear knowing Walt is a ruthless drug dealer

Hank would just have planted another one
So? I would think that's even better. Once he destroyed the one that had tracked him visiting Jesse/Saul the tracker would only help him look less suspicious with him knowing it's there. Just go about your "out of the game" normal life and if you need to do something crazy like visit Jesse, use a different car. Then all Hank is getting is a bunch of trackers showing totally normal behavior.

So? I would think that's even better. Once he destroyed the one that had tracked him visiting Jesse/Saul the tracker would only help him look less suspicious with him knowing it's there. Just go about your "out of the game" normal life and if you need to do something crazy like visit Jesse, use a different car. Then all Hank is getting is a bunch of trackers showing totally normal behavior.
I think your right, but the show is trying to wrap things up. If this was not the final 8 episodes I could see the writers doing something like that, but with only 8 episodes left they can not drag these small things out.

Like how they got right to the point of Hank vs. WW.

Getting really bored with Jessie and his emotions now. Seems to be the same thing over and over again with him.

But Walt isn't really "out of the game".

" post="15813481" timestamp="1376323943"]
Count me in the group that hopes Jesse snaps out of it quickly. They've already done the "Jesse's in emotional turmoil" storyline. No need to do it again.
Yep.

This show is much better when Jesse isn't being a sniveling #####.

It's quite an achievement for the show to have remained completely gripping, despite 3 of the 4 most essential characters (over the entire series) spending large parts of seasons being sullen, depressed, boring and worthless.

Jesse's on his 2nd stint. Skyler's just now out of a multiple season stint of it, and Hank had a much shorter, but not insignificant spell of it.

That's not even including the horrible klepto-Marie storylines.

I don't think the medical bills are an issue for Hank, at least not criminally. His brother in law being Heisenberg is career suicide, just like the guy before him and that may be enough for Hank to keep quiet.

One of the best hours of television last night I've ever seen.

Walt could pull the, "If you try to turn me on, what's to stop me from telling them you were in on it the whole time?" Plus, once Hank finds out that Skylar knows all about it, it becomes a whole new ball game, as he has to think about Maria. And how will Maria react to it all?

I don't get this "career suicide if people find out Hank's brother in law is Heisenberg" argument. Maybe it'll pan out that way, but for now he's actually the person who wanted to press forward with the investigation repeatedly. So he missed something that was "right under his nose." Big deal. What obvious signs did he miss, really? What could the higher-ups point to and say he should have known better, so this guy's finished moving up through the ranks here, even though he singlehandedly put a stop to an enormous international drug cartel, which is kind of a big deal for DEA?

If the writers decide to make the whole "career suicide" thing a factor that motivates the character, I'd be fine with it as long as they explain it a little more. But I'd be totally fine with it being a non-factor too.

I don't get this "career suicide if people find out Hank's brother in law is Heisenberg" argument. Maybe it'll pan out that way, but for now he's actually the person who wanted to press forward with the investigation repeatedly. So he missed something that was "right under his nose." Big deal. What obvious signs did he miss, really? What could the higher-ups point to and say he should have known better, so this guy's finished moving up through the ranks here, even though he singlehandedly put a stop to an enormous international drug cartel, which is kind of a big deal for DEA?

If the writers decide to make the whole "career suicide" thing a factor that motivates the character, I'd be fine with it as long as they explain it a little more. But I'd be totally fine with it being a non-factor too.
I don't think they would have had Hank's old supervising agent have to resign/be demoted/be reassigned for his longtime relationship with Gus if we're not supposed to believe that Hank will have similar concerns about him and Walt.

Hank is working the case from home for a reason.

I don't think the medical bills are an issue for Hank, at least not criminally. His brother in law being Heisenberg is career suicide, just like the guy before him and that may be enough for Hank to keep quiet.

One of the best hours of television last night I've ever seen.
Walter is still running a criminal conspiracy (he's laundering money). Any law enforcement official who willfully looks the other way would be furthering an active criminal conspiracy. That's a RICO violation.

The fact that Hank received a financial benefit that was conferred out of the conspiracy would just be a very damning (albeit not dispositive) piece of supporting evidence

I think that money tossing is going to lead to something as well. If not fingerprints, he could be caught on a camera.
I'm sure all those people in the ghetto/barrio that find random stacks of money on their lawns are going to report it to the police right away.
They are going to start fighting, maybe even killing each other over it. That might attract some police attention.

I don't think they would have had Hank's old supervising agent have to resign/be demoted/be reassigned for his longtime relationship with Gus if we're not supposed to believe that Hank will have similar concerns about him and Walt.

Yes. The old supervisor had Gus over for a BBQ. Hank is in much deeper than that guy.

But if it's a concern to the point that he can't take it to law enforcement, why work the case at all?

I assumed he was working it from home because (1) he had to pretend to be sick to have an excuse to avoid Walt and Skyler while he works through this, and (2) he wants to be able to devote all of his time and energy to it.

The previous supervisor presumably missed the Gus thing for (presumably) many years, and just as importantly IMO he missed it until it was revealed to the world. This is different. Walt's only been doing his thing for a year to 18 months, and more importantly Hank's the one who caught him.

Like I said, I'm fine if they decide Hank is motivated to avoid going to the DEA to save his career and to avoid embarrassment. But there's enough wiggle room there that I'm fine if they go the other way.

I agree that that's likely what we're supposed to think and how it'll play out.

But I hope not. The situations are still fairly different. The other dude repeatedly brushed off evidence on Fring, and waited for nursing home and laundry explosions to consider it.

Hank would've been bringing in a book he found on the crapper and not enough evidence to even get the DEA to take it seriously (if not for an agent wanting to investigate his own brother in law).

I hope, by 9:15 on Sunday, Hank's got all his boxes spread at the DEA office with Gomie and the crew because that's not what we've been led to expect and it's so different from how every other show would handle it.

Not a criticism because it's probably the most interesting way to do. "What should I do, what should I do...oh #### it's too late to take the legal route now" thing is probably more dramatic than doing the smart thing.

The great thing about this is that we can all talk about them going this way or that way with it, but you just know the writers will take it in a way none of us imagined. :yes:

But I hope not. The situations are still fairly different. The other dude repeatedly brushed off evidence on Fring, and waited for nursing home and laundry explosions to consider it.

Hank would've been bringing in a book he found on the crapper and not enough evidence to even get the DEA to take it seriously (if not for an agent wanting to investigate his own brother in law).

I hope, by 9:15 on Sunday, Hank's got all his box spread at the DEA office with Gomie and the crew because that's not what we've been led to expect and it's so different from how every other show would handle it.
Hank has repeatedly ignored evidence that pointed to Walt. The first evidence they found (the gas mask and the subsequent missing lab equipment) were from Walt's high school lab. We understand why Hank ignored it. He had a blind spot, just as his boss did with Fring.

That a guy cooking extremely pure meth just happened to have a bunch of equipment from a certain chemistry teacher's lab? If that were anyone but Walk, they would have taken a harder look at the teacher than janitor.

That a guy cooking extremely pure meth just happened to have a bunch of equipment from a certain chemistry teacher's lab? If that were anyone but Walk, they would have taken a harder look at the teacher than janitor.
It wasn't the teacher's lab, it was the school's.

That was a long time ago (in terms of broadcast, not the show chronology), so I don't remember much about it, but I don't see this being a huge problem unless Hank is the one who steered the DEA to the janitor. Even if that happened, I'd still be OK with it if the writers have Hank go to DEA once he coordinates the evidence. Like I said, bottom line is that in the end he didn't miss it. He worked a case everyone else wanted to put to bed, and he caught Walt.

To clarify- I'm fine if they decide to go the "career suicide" route with Hank and he doesn't go to the agency. Arguments being made here make sense. I'm just saying I'm ok with it either way.

I hope, by 9:15 on Sunday, Hank's got all his box spread at the DEA office with Gomie and the crew because that's not what we've been led to expect and it's so different from how every other show would handle it.
Hank has repeatedly ignored evidence that pointed to Walt. The first evidence they found (the gas mask and the subsequent missing lab equipment) were from Walt's high school lab. We understand why Hank ignored it. He had a blind spot, just as his boss did with Fring.
Fair point. Going to Jesse's and ending up at Tuco's in search of Walt wouldn't look very good either (I don't remember how even got out of that one).

But I think the key is that he kept on looking for more and more evidence. I think he's in the clear on any involvement (way too many "why in the hell would he have done _______ if he knew"s).

And unlike the old boss, it's hard to slap too much ignorance on him when he was the only one that was onto West's meth kingpin and his cooks.

The great thing about this is that we can all talk about them going this way or that way with it, but you just know the writers will take it in a way none of us imagined. :yes:
:goodposting:

That's why I'm not trying to guess as to how it all might end. I'm just gonna sit back and enjoy the ride.

That's why I'm not trying to guess as to how it all might end. I'm just gonna sit back and enjoy the ride.
same here.

Not even reading the predictions. I'd rather talk about what we saw, not what we think will happen. But that happens in most show threads.

Yup. A minute in to last night they had declared that everyone was going to know he was Heisenberg in the next 9 months (wall graffiti). I don't think anyone expected that at all.

While I think the show often does a good job at creating surprises, it also does a lot of foreshadowing. It invites that type of speculation. There's really no reason to open on a flash forward otherwise. It's possible they're flash forwarding to a future that nobody could predict, as they did with the plane crash, but I doubt it.

I think it's part of the appeal of the show. Walter's downfall should feel kind of inevitable. Even if we don't guess all the details, it should feel that way in retrospect. I have my own suspicions about the broad contours I expect the show to follow. I won't feel cheated if I'm right or wrong. If I'm right, then I'll obviously think the show made dramatic and thematic sense. I have enough faith in Gilligan to suspect that will still be true if I'm wrong.

didn't some ASAC Merkert lose his job over Fring being right under his nose?

I thnk he may catch some heat if he gets caught persuing this case unless he's got something rock solid. The guy on the video conference made it clear that Heisenberg is closed.

I thnk he may catch some heat if he gets caught persuing this case unless he's got something rock solid. The guy on the video conference made it clear that Heisenberg is closed.
Like I said, that guy missed Fring for years, and he only found out when everyone else did after the nursing home explosion. Walt only cooked for 18 months and presumably acted as "kingpin" for much less time than that, and Hank's the guy that caught him.

Like I said, that guy missed Fring for years, and he only found out when everyone else did after the nursing home explosion. Walt only cooked for 18 months and presumably acted as "kingpin" for much less time than that, and Hank's the guy that caught him.
Yea, but Hank has been the main guy and obsessed with the whole blue meth/Heisenberg thing from the very beginning. Maybe he kept that investigation to himself and made it look like he was working it hard was because he was tipping off his BIL drug dealer.

I agree that that's likely what we're supposed to think and how it'll play out.But I hope not. The situations are still fairly different. The other dude repeatedly brushed off evidence on Fring, and waited for nursing home and laundry explosions to consider it.

I hope, by 9:15 on Sunday, Hank's got all his boxes spread at the DEA office with Gomie and the crew because that's not what we've been led to expect and it's so different from how every other show would handle it.

Not a criticism because it's probably the most interesting way to do. "What should I do, what should I do...oh #### it's too late to take the legal route now" thing is probably more dramatic than doing the smart thing.
One issue is that the only evidence that Hank has now -- the book inscribed by Gale Boetticher -- is evidence that was seized illegally by Hank from Walt's house. Despite reviewing all of those boxes of evidence from the Fring case, the only other evidence that Hank mentions in his confrontation with Walt is the car crash when they were headed to Fring's laundry facility and the fact that Walt knew Hank's phone number in relation to the time that Hank was tricked into going to the hospital -- which hardly prove that Walt is a meth kingpin. Hank can't just show up at the DEA office and say "Hey look at this evidence that I illegally seized from my brother-in-law's house that will ultimately be suppressed in court due to the illegal manner in which I seized it." An action like that could potentially be a career-ender.

I think Hank is going to have to build his case more on his own before he officially presents anything to the DEA. I think that is what will be the interesting cat-and-mouse game between Hank and Walt this season.

Yea, but Hank has been the main guy and obsessed with the whole blue meth/Heisenberg thing from the very beginning. Maybe he kept that investigation to himself and made it look like he was working it hard was because he was tipping off his BIL drug dealer.
Maybe.

Again I'm not saying that he's gonna go to DEA or that I'd be surprised if he feels he can't do that because of how it would reflect on him. I'm just saying I think they can plausibly go in any direction; some people seemed to think there was no way he could go to DEA now. I disagree. I think taking the case to the DEA when he finishes his work in the basement is a viable option.

a publicly known drug kingpin on the run under a fake name cant exactly go into a clinic to get chemo. Him being on the run is basically a death sentence. Which also makes me think hes not on the run from the law cuz i dont think hank will turn him in. Hes on the run from the drug gang.
The police took his house. He'd be in jail if he weren't on the run from the law.

Who was the fat kid whose picture was in one of the folders Hank looked through?
Probably Combo
Didn't look like Combo at all.
Agreed... at first glance. I took a screen cap of it. I had to lighten it up a lot. The original picture was very dark. Remember when Hank was in Combo's mother's house after he got killed? There was a picture of him there, but he appeared to be only a few years younger. It's likely this is a very young Combo, as that pic was right below the one of him laying dead (in Hank's right hand in the pic).
:lmao:

The photo of the kid was right next to the photo of Combo in the file. TA-DA!

I agree that that's likely what we're supposed to think and how it'll play out.But I hope not. The situations are still fairly different. The other dude repeatedly brushed off evidence on Fring, and waited for nursing home and laundry explosions to consider it.

One issue is that the only evidence that Hank has now -- the book inscribed by Gale Boetticher -- is evidence that was seized illegally by Hank from Walt's house. Despite reviewing all of those boxes of evidence from the Fring case, the only other evidence that Hank mentions in his confrontation with Walt is the car crash when they were headed to Fring's laundry facility and the fact that Walt knew Hank's phone number in relation to the time that Hank was tricked into going to the hospital -- which hardly prove that Walt is a meth kingpin. Hank can't just show up at the DEA office and say "Hey look at this evidence that I illegally seized from my brother-in-law's house that will ultimately be suppressed in court due to the illegal manner in which I seized it." An action like that could potentially be a career-ender.

I think Hank is going to have to build his case more on his own before he officially presents anything to the DEA. I think that is what will be the interesting cat-and-mouse game between Hank and Walt this season.
I agree that he definitely doesn't have enough evidence now.

But, if taking it to the DEA is ever an option, it has to be very soon.

Far better to take weak evidence and suspicion to them and build the case with them them than keep sitting on info (and of course, someone else catching wind first would be disasterous).

Of course, Hank might not plan on ever taking it to the DEA (I have to assume that will be the case soon) and he's sure they'll never find out (presumably they wouldn't without him bringing it, but not a certainty).

My guess is, he farts around, and by the end of Episode 2, his only viable option left is to kill Walt.

Of course Hank didn't know; that's an easy sell.

Also, why do people think that Hank cares more about his career than he does about catching Heisenberg? He's already disobeyed his boss's order to leave the case alone. Catching Heisenberg seems to be a bigger priority than looking good on the job. Hank isn't like Walt. Hank tries to do the right thing. And doing the right thing doesn't involve failing to bring Heisenberg to justice out of fear that it may make him look bad.

The police took his house. He'd be in jail if he weren't on the run from the law.
not if he faked his death

Users who are viewing this thread