What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Breaking Bad on AMC (7 Viewers)

I don't think they would have had Hank's old supervising agent have to resign/be demoted/be reassigned for his longtime relationship with Gus if we're not supposed to believe that Hank will have similar concerns about him and Walt.

Hank is working the case from home for a reason.
I think he's working the case from home because his boss already told him, in so many words, to drop it.

a publicly known drug kingpin on the run under a fake name cant exactly go into a clinic to get chemo. Him being on the run is basically a death sentence. Which also makes me think hes not on the run from the law cuz i dont think hank will turn him in. Hes on the run from the drug gang.
The police took his house. He'd be in jail if he weren't on the run from the law.
not if he faked his death
Faking his death to avoid jail doesn't count as being on the run from the law?

One issue is that the only evidence that Hank has now -- the book inscribed by Gale Boetticher -- is evidence that was seized illegally by Hank from Walt's house. Despite reviewing all of those boxes of evidence from the Fring case, the only other evidence that Hank mentions in his confrontation with Walt is the car crash when they were headed to Fring's laundry facility and the fact that Walt knew Hank's phone number in relation to the time that Hank was tricked into going to the hospital -- which hardly prove that Walt is a meth kingpin. Hank can't just show up at the DEA office and say "Hey look at this evidence that I illegally seized from my brother-in-law's house that will ultimately be suppressed in court due to the illegal manner in which I seized it." An action like that could potentially be a career-ender.

I think Hank is going to have to build his case more on his own before he officially presents anything to the DEA. I think that is what will be the interesting cat-and-mouse game between Hank and Walt this season.
Everything I know about criminal law I learned from watching Angie Harmon on Law & Order, but I don't think the seizure was illegal. Walt invited Hank into his home, and then Hank saw potential evidence with his own eyes.

Any chance if Hank brought this info up the ladder, his superiors would tell him to not pursue to avoid having the agency look like bafoones....again?

I mean...how would that look publicly, the 2 biggest meth dealers have had ties to your office?

I don't get this "career suicide if people find out Hank's brother in law is Heisenberg" argument. Maybe it'll pan out that way, but for now he's actually the person who wanted to press forward with the investigation repeatedly. So he missed something that was "right under his nose." Big deal. What obvious signs did he miss, really? What could the higher-ups point to and say he should have known better, so this guy's finished moving up through the ranks here, even though he singlehandedly put a stop to an enormous international drug cartel, which is kind of a big deal for DEA?

If the writers decide to make the whole "career suicide" thing a factor that motivates the character, I'd be fine with it as long as they explain it a little more. But I'd be totally fine with it being a non-factor too.
I don't think they would have had Hank's old supervising agent have to resign/be demoted/be reassigned for his longtime relationship with Gus if we're not supposed to believe that Hank will have similar concerns about him and Walt.

Hank is working the case from home for a reason.
I agree that that's likely what we're supposed to think and how it'll play out.But I hope not. The situations are still fairly different. The other dude repeatedly brushed off evidence on Fring, and waited for nursing home and laundry explosions to consider it.

Hank would've been bringing in a book he found on the crapper and not enough evidence to even get the DEA to take it seriously (if not for an agent wanting to investigate his own brother in law).

I hope, by 9:15 on Sunday, Hank's got all his boxes spread at the DEA office with Gomie and the crew because that's not what we've been led to expect and it's so different from how every other show would handle it.

Not a criticism because it's probably the most interesting way to do. "What should I do, what should I do...oh #### it's too late to take the legal route now" thing is probably more dramatic than doing the smart thing.
One issue is that the only evidence that Hank has now -- the book inscribed by Gale Boetticher -- is evidence that was seized illegally by Hank from Walt's house. Despite reviewing all of those boxes of evidence from the Fring case, the only other evidence that Hank mentions in his confrontation with Walt is the car crash when they were headed to Fring's laundry facility and the fact that Walt knew Hank's phone number in relation to the time that Hank was tricked into going to the hospital -- which hardly prove that Walt is a meth kingpin. Hank can't just show up at the DEA office and say "Hey look at this evidence that I illegally seized from my brother-in-law's house that will ultimately be suppressed in court due to the illegal manner in which I seized it." An action like that could potentially be a career-ender.I think Hank is going to have to build his case more on his own before he officially presents anything to the DEA. I think that is what will be the interesting cat-and-mouse game between Hank and Walt this season.
I agree that he definitely doesn't have enough evidence now.

But, if taking it to the DEA is ever an option, it has to be very soon.

Far better to take weak evidence and suspicion to them and build the case with them them than keep sitting on info (and of course, someone else catching wind first would be disasterous).

Of course, Hank might not plan on ever taking it to the DEA (I have to assume that will be the case soon) and he's sure they'll never find out (presumably they wouldn't without him bringing it, but not a certainty).

My guess is, he farts around, and by the end of Episode 2, his only viable option left is to kill Walt.
I think we will definitely see Hank struggle about if/when he is going to present his theory to the DEA. I highly doubt that we see the DEA fully involved at the beginning of the next episode. But I guess you admit that is the contrarian expectation.

One issue is that the only evidence that Hank has now -- the book inscribed by Gale Boetticher -- is evidence that was seized illegally by Hank from Walt's house. Despite reviewing all of those boxes of evidence from the Fring case, the only other evidence that Hank mentions in his confrontation with Walt is the car crash when they were headed to Fring's laundry facility and the fact that Walt knew Hank's phone number in relation to the time that Hank was tricked into going to the hospital -- which hardly prove that Walt is a meth kingpin. Hank can't just show up at the DEA office and say "Hey look at this evidence that I illegally seized from my brother-in-law's house that will ultimately be suppressed in court due to the illegal manner in which I seized it." An action like that could potentially be a career-ender.

I think Hank is going to have to build his case more on his own before he officially presents anything to the DEA. I think that is what will be the interesting cat-and-mouse game between Hank and Walt this season.
Everything I know about criminal law I learned from watching Angie Harmon on Law & Order, but I don't think the seizure was illegal. Walt invited Hank into his home, and then Hank saw potential evidence with his own eyes.
True, but then from a legal standpoint, can Hank just take it from the house without the homeowner's permission, or is seeing the evidence probable cause for a warrant to then legally seize the possible evidence?

I think Hank chooses family over bringing down Heisenberg. Career or not, I don't think Hank turns him in. Walt will probably walk out of that garage at the beginning of the next episode, and unless he kills Hank, Hank lets him go after knowing who he is.

I don't get this "career suicide if people find out Hank's brother in law is Heisenberg" argument. Maybe it'll pan out that way, but for now he's actually the person who wanted to press forward with the investigation repeatedly. So he missed something that was "right under his nose." Big deal. What obvious signs did he miss, really? What could the higher-ups point to and say he should have known better, so this guy's finished moving up through the ranks here, even though he singlehandedly put a stop to an enormous international drug cartel, which is kind of a big deal for DEA?

If the writers decide to make the whole "career suicide" thing a factor that motivates the character, I'd be fine with it as long as they explain it a little more. But I'd be totally fine with it being a non-factor too.
didn't some ASAC Merkert lose his job over Fring being right under his nose?I thnk he may catch some heat if he gets caught persuing this case unless he's got something rock solid. The guy on the video conference made it clear that Heisenberg is closed.
Like I said, that guy missed Fring for years, and he only found out when everyone else did after the nursing home explosion. Walt only cooked for 18 months and presumably acted as "kingpin" for much less time than that, and Hank's the guy that caught him.
Yea, but Hank has been the main guy and obsessed with the whole blue meth/Heisenberg thing from the very beginning. Maybe he kept that investigation to himself and made it look like he was working it hard was because he was tipping off his BIL drug dealer.
Maybe.

Again I'm not saying that he's gonna go to DEA or that I'd be surprised if he feels he can't do that because of how it would reflect on him. I'm just saying I think they can plausibly go in any direction; some people seemed to think there was no way he could go to DEA now. I disagree. I think taking the case to the DEA when he finishes his work in the basement is a viable option.
I don't disagree. Just saying how maybe it could be perceived.

True, but then from a legal standpoint, can Hank just take it from the house without the homeowner's permission, or is seeing the evidence probable cause for a warrant to then legally seize the possible evidence?
I don't think he needs a warrant because Hank was in Walt's bathroom with Walt's consent and the book was in plain view.

I don't think he needs a warrant because Hank was in Walt's bathroom with Walt's consent and the book was in plain view.
Actually, the book was not in plain view. Hank had to dig through a stack of Skyler's magazines before he discovered the book from Gale. The plain view doctrine does not apply if the police officer had to move objects in order to get a view of the evidence.

a publicly known drug kingpin on the run under a fake name cant exactly go into a clinic to get chemo. Him being on the run is basically a death sentence. Which also makes me think hes not on the run from the law cuz i dont think hank will turn him in. Hes on the run from the drug gang.
The police took his house. He'd be in jail if he weren't on the run from the law.
not if he faked his death
Faking his death to avoid jail doesn't count as being on the run from the law?
No. Faking your death means you're not on the run from anyone anymore

Actually, the book was not in plain view. Hank had to dig through a stack of Skyler's magazines before he discovered the book from Gale. The plain view doctrine does not apply if the police officer had to move objects in order to get a view of the evidence.
Interesting. I really do wonder what the law would say about that. Any lawyers here wanna weigh in on this?

I don't think he needed probable cause to move the magazines because that was done with the owner's implied consent. I'd have to check with Angie Harmon to be sure, though.

I think Hank chooses family over bringing down Heisenberg. Career or not, I don't think Hank turns him in. Walt will probably walk out of that garage at the beginning of the next episode, and unless he kills Hank, Hank lets him go after knowing who he is.
I don't think he could live like that for long. His life pretty much revolves around work and family. As mentioned earlier, he's a guy who tries to do the right thing, and he's going to be reminded every waking hour that he's doing the wrong thing. His conscience will eventually get the best of him.

I don't think he could live like that for long. His life pretty much revolves around work and family. As mentioned earlier, he's a guy who tries to do the right thing, and he's going to be reminded every waking hour that he's doing the wrong thing. His conscience will eventually get the best of him.
So, Hank kills himself?

After last night's episode, I think the wearing a wire theory is a lot more likely. It would be an interesting turn for Walt's character though.

Interesting. I really do wonder what the law would say about that. Any lawyers here wanna weigh in on this?
If this final season turns into an episode of Law and Order, I will be pretty upset

Remember when Gus and Jesse went to Mexico? The cartel boys videotaped Jesse instructing them how to cook.

Could that come into play?

So, Hank kills himself?
More likely he tries to kill Walt.

When the legal route isn't an option, it will make the most sense.

Actually, it'll be the most logical conclusion for both men trying to accomplish their 2 most important goals (choose the order you prefer). Both men big egos and professional drive that have led them into each other's crosshairs. Both men want to protect the family and both think they are best suited for that. Both will soon come to believe that protecting the family isn't possible with the other alive or free.

Remember when Gus and Jesse went to Mexico? The cartel boys videotaped Jesse instructing them how to cook.

Is there anybody left in the cartel? I thought they were all dead
I don't think the camcorder got shot.
The camcorder from the pilot, with Walt's videotaped confession, is presumably still out there too, right?
I like the way you think, fella.

Is there anybody left in the cartel? I thought they were all dead
I don't think the camcorder got shot.
The camcorder from the pilot, with Walt's videotaped confession, is presumably still out there too, right?
No....Walt pulled it out of the camcorder and ripped all of the tape from the cassette.

My buddy said the other night that someone in Walt's family needs to die this season. He loves the show and will love it no matter what. But he'll give the show a lot more credit if they're willing to kill off someone in Walt's family.

My buddy said the other night that someone in Walt's family needs to die this season. He loves the show and will love it no matter what. But he'll give the show a lot more credit if they're willing to kill off someone in Walt's family.
Gotta be Flynn. He's getting too cocky.

You want dark? How about Holly dies of an OD of the blue stuff

Walt acting very Gus-like handling Lydia in the car wash
yep, I mentioned this to my wife during the episode. Exactly like Gus. He also killed (and posioned kids in the previous season) which is what his fallout with Gus started over. He became Gus
"Just because you kill Jesse James..... don't make you Jesse James."
What about if you jack 900 gallons of methylamine from a train without anyone ever knowing it got stolen?

Someone in the family's gonna get it, and soon. I'll put my money on Flynn.

Todd does the deed.

Jesse lives to mope another day.

Last edited by a moderator:
Walt's going to kill Jesse, maybe this week....
Aaron Paul spoiled things a little when he said he and Cranston read the final episode script together
I don't know that I'd read too much into that...maybe Jesse lives longer that I thought
He also said that that didn't mean his character had "made it to the end" and said he was doing a lot of the different characters in the script.

Walt's going to kill Jesse, maybe this week....
Aaron Paul spoiled things a little when he said he and Cranston read the final episode script together
I don't know that I'd read too much into that...maybe Jesse lives longer that I thought
He also said that that didn't mean his character had "made it to the end" and said he was doing a lot of the different characters in the script.
Mmhmm. Jesse's gonna make it
I like the idea that Lydia might seduce Jesse to get him back in the kitchen, but there's no way he works with or around Todd.

I also like the idea that Walt might turn state's witness. He has no conscience anyway, and it would serve the best interest of his family.

This could result in them cooking together again, which is what everybody wants

I also like the idea that Walt might turn state witness. He has no conscience anyway, and it would serve the best interest of his family.

This would result in them cooking together again, which is what everybody wants
Walt turns state witness and cooks ricin into a batch of the blue, killing hundreds.

So many great scenes but one I loved was when Hank first comes out of the house after his moment of clarity in the toilet and Marie is talking to Walt and jokingly says "You're the devil."

Great moment.

Users who are viewing this thread