What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Breaking Bad on AMC (3 Viewers)

Can Pollard and Tim get together tonight to figure out who will post the next nonsensical points in here to keep us busy until Grantland's precap?
Look, I just said every seemingly evil decision Walt's made has been justifiable for someone in the meth business that's interested in keeping his life and his freedom or protecting Jesse. Killing Mike might not've been necessary, but that's debatable.

He and Jesse both made the same terrible decision (to start cooking meth). From there, they both did what needed doing. Somehow, Jesse's considered the moral center of the show, and Walt's the most evil character in TV history.

I'm still waiting to be told why that's wrong. The only responses were silly, flippant remarks from people that either didn't or couldn't read.

Last edited by a moderator:
Declan was my favorite character on the show.
Wow! Ahead of Hugo, the janitor at Walt's school?Heisenberg's first collateral damage, yo.Re-watching that scene now seems completely different that when I originally watched it when I was still cheering for Walt. At the time I was thinking that Walt didn't intentionally screw him over and it wasn't his fault that Hugo had other issues. Now I just think about Walt being happy that nice guy went to jail to take the heat off of him and how he didn't give him another thought.

Can Pollard and Tim get together tonight to figure out who will post the next nonsensical points in here to keep us busy until Grantland's precap?
Look, I just said every seemingly evil decision Walt's made has been justifiable for someone in the meth business that's interested in keeping his life and his freedom or protecting Jesse. Killing Mike might not've been necessary, but that's debatable.He and Jesse both made the same terrible decision (to start cooking meth). From there, they both did what needed doing. Somehow, Jesse's considered the moral center of the show, and Walt's the most evil character in TV history.

I'm still waiting to be told why that's wrong. The only responses were silly, flippant remarks from people that either didn't or couldn't read.
I have never considered Jesse to be the "moral compass of the show".

I know there's a lot of sarcasm and such being thrown out over the past few pages...but wrt Jessie and taxes...IIRC, hasn't only a year or so passed since the inception of the show in BB time? If so, that's really not enough time for Jessie to have been investigated for tax evasion and whatnot. Now obviously, if the feds have something on it, they can escalate the process...but I don't think it's outlandish that it hasn't occured yet.

ETA: I think I saw Jessie speeding in one of the episodes

I know there's a lot of sarcasm and such being thrown out over the past few pages...but wrt Jessie and taxes...IIRC, hasn't only a year or so passed since the inception of the show in BB time? If so, that's really not enough time for Jessie to have been investigated for tax evasion and whatnot. Now obviously, if the feds have something on it, they can escalate the process...but I don't think it's outlandish that it hasn't occured yet.

ETA: I think I saw Jessie speeding in one of the episodes
Moral compass, my ###.

Look, I just said every seemingly evil decision Walt's made has been justifiable for someone in the meth business that's interested in keeping his life and his freedom or protecting Jesse. Killing Mike might not've been necessary, but that's debatable.He and Jesse both made the same terrible decision (to start cooking meth). From there, they both did what needed doing. Somehow, Jesse's considered the moral center of the show, and Walt's the most evil character in TV history.

I have read a review or two online of the show that has called him that, and I am like, "What are those people watching?" Just because he has a soft spot for kids and has been broken up about certain deaths doesn't not make him a bad guy with very low morals. Sure, Walt is worse, but that doesn't make Jesse Mr. Morality, even in relative Breaking Bad terms.

I have read a review or two online of the show that has called him that, and I am like, "What are those people watching?" Just because he has a soft spot for kids and has been broken up about certain deaths doesn't not make him a bad guy with very low morals. Sure, Walt is worse, but that doesn't make Jesse Mr. Morality, even in relative Breaking Bad terms.
:goodposting:

I feel like there have been comments in this thread in that vein too.

:goodposting:

I feel like there have been comments in this thread in that vein too.
There probably just isn't a moral center of the show. Some might consider Hank that to this point, but I suspect he's about to get his hands dirty in relentless pursuit of his goal.

Where Jesse differs from Walt is that he actually feels the weight of all of this, where Walt hides it better and moves more quickly.

I think final straw for Jesse very well might've been the cook scene after Drew got shot. Jesse was back in full-on mopey mode, and Walt's under the tent whistling a cheerful tune as he cooks away. Jesse's wanted out before and gotten back in, but I believe that moment propelled Jesse to finally get out.

so what's the theory on Todd? he seems kinda nerdy & polite, but clearly knows his way around a gun and wasn't fazed at all by the firefight and dead bodies. is he just a criminal with hardcore ties, or something else? I get an ex-military vibe from him.

so what's the theory on Todd? he seems kinda nerdy & polite, but clearly knows his way around a gun and wasn't fazed at all by the firefight and dead bodies. is he just a criminal with hardcore ties, or something else? I get an ex-military vibe from him.
And he is a sociopath.

field goal kicker and former rock star

And he is a sociopath.
He might be a sociopath, but I assume "criminal with manners" is all the character development we'll get from him. Doesn't seem like we'll have enough time for anything else.

Very accurate out to 35, but lacks raw leg strength to hit long ones. Below-average on kickoffs.

Very accurate out to 35, but lacks raw leg strength to hit long ones. Below-average on kickoffs.
will be playing Robin in the next Batman movie

will be playing Robin in the next Batman movie
And is Obama's next choice for Education Secretary

Look, I just said every seemingly evil decision Walt's made has been justifiable for someone in the meth business that's interested in keeping his life and his freedom or protecting Jesse. Killing Mike might not've been necessary, but that's debatable.

He and Jesse both made the same terrible decision (to start cooking meth). From there, they both did what needed doing. Somehow, Jesse's considered the moral center of the show, and Walt's the most evil character in TV history.

The problem is you're justifying everything "for someone in the meth business".

Off the current season and this was probably posted before, but I just heard about it the other day. Mike was originally supposed to just do a 1-time guest spot cleaning up a mess as an unnamed henchman. In fact, Saul was suppposed to be in the scene instead of Mike (though if that's true, they must have changed the scene a bit, because it wouldn't make sense for Saul to be there), but Bob Odenkirk had a schedule conflict. They liked what Banks did so much, that they made him a regular character,

Off the current season and this was probably posted before, but I just heard about it the other day. Mike was originally supposed to just do a 1-time guest spot cleaning up a mess as an unnamed henchman. In fact, Saul was suppposed to be in the scene instead of Mike (though if that's true, they must have changed the scene a bit, because it wouldn't make sense for Saul to be there), but Bob Odenkirk had a schedule conflict. They liked what Banks did so much, that they made him a regular character,
Not today, anyway.

"I used to be a beat cop a long time ago. And I’d get called out on domestic disputes all the time. Hundreds, probably, over the years. But there was this one guy — this one piece of #### — that I will never forget. Gordy. He looked like Bo Svenson. You remember him? Walking Tall? You don’t remember? No. Anyway. Big boy — 270, 280. But his wife … or whatever she was, his lady … was real small. Like a bird. Wrists like branches. Anyway, my partner and I got called out there every weekend, and one of us would pull her aside and say ‘come on, tonight’s the night we press charges.’ And this wasn’t one of those deep-down he-loves-me set-ups — we get a lot of those — but not this. This girl was scared. She wasn’t going to cross him, no way, no how. Nothing we could do but pass her off to the EMT’s, put him in a car and drive him downtown, throw him in the drunk tank. He sleeps it off, next morning out he goes. Back home.

But one night, my partner’s out sick, and it’s just me. And the call comes in and it’s the usual crap. Broke her nose in the shower kind of thing. So I cuff him, put him in the car and away we go. Only that night, we’re driving into town, and this sideways ####### is in my back seat humming ‘Danny Boy.’ And it just rubbed me wrong. So instead of left, I go right, out into nowhere. And I kneel him down, and I put my revolver in his mouth, and I told him, ‘This is it. This is how it ends.’ And he’s crying, going to the bathroom all over himself, swearing to God he’s going to leave her alone. Screaming … as much as you can with a gun in your mouth. And I told him to be quiet. I needed to think about what I was going to do here. And of course he got quiet. Goes still. And real quiet. Like a dog waiting for dinner scraps. And we just stood there for a while, me acting like I’m thinking things over, and Prince Charming kneeling in the dirt with #### in his pants. And after a few minutes I took the gun out of his mouth, and I say, ‘So help me if you touch her again I will such-and-such and such-and-such and blah blah blah blah blah.’ …. Just trying to do the right thing. But two weeks later he killed her. Of course. Caved her head in with the base of a Waring blender. We got there, there was so much blood you could taste the metal. The moral of the story is: I chose a half measure, when I should have gone all the way. I’ll never make that mistake again."

Jesse: Dude, you scared the #### out of me. When you say its contamination. I mean, I’m thinking like… an Ebola leak or something.

Walter: Ebola.

Jesse: Yeah, it’s a disease on the Discovery Channel where all your intestines sort of just slip right out of your butt.

Walter: Thank you. I know what Ebola is.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Free Yahoo college football pick em

ID- 5311

Pw- corso

This is the last year it is only for bragging rights. Next year I will take your money.

Come discuss Breaking Bad on the message board without spoilers and The Shield.

And then of course, Mike of course choose a half measure like 3 times in season 5 and dies because of it.
Sepinwall couldn't get past that.

Because on the one hand, the death of Mike Ehrmantraut is just a devastating scene, and a fitting end to Jonathan Banks' tenure on the show.And on the other, it makes no damn sense at all.

Why does Mike, pro of pros, sage of sages, exemplar of all that is wise and patient and level-headed on this show, repeatedly shoot down offers of help from a man he likes and trusts in Jesse, then readily accepts the aid of a man he has every reason in the world to dislike and distrust?

Because the show needed him dead, that's why — and because the script couldn't be finessed in some way so that Walt was literally Mike's only option, or that Walt in some way conned Jesse into letting him be the delivery man without Mike knowing until it was too late.

I don't buy for a second that, given the choice between the two meth cooks for this errand, Mike would ever choose Walter freaking White — not even under the extreme stress and devastation of losing his money, access to his granddaughter and his life as he knows it — over Jesse(*), or even Saul. And because I didn't believe that, it made that horribly beautiful final scene not quite as impactful as it should have been. I should have been focusing on Mike's own pride leading to his downfall by insulting Walt and telling him he should have known his place — just about the last phrase to ever use in front of Walt, but one I believe Mike would have given their relationship to this point. I should have been focusing on the transformation from supercool Heisenberg back to overmatched Walter White, who even apologizes to Mike once he remembers the existence of Lydia. I should have been admiring the gorgeous shot of the sun reflecting on the creek as Mike sat on a rock, waiting to die, and I should have been appreciating just how stupendous Banks was in that scene, as he had been all episode, as he had been since we first met Mike late in Season 2.

(*) And, yes, I'm aware that part of Mike's motivation was to protect Jesse in the event that his car was somehow being watched, but A)Mike's life was on the line at this point, and B)even if he absolutely didn't want to risk Jesse's freedom, I still do not believe for a second that he would entrust this task to Walt — not even after Walt called to warn him about the cops closing in. Too much bad history there, and too many examples of Walter White being given an inch and stealing a mile. Uh-uh. Does he have no more "guys" left in town? Hell, I could see him calling Todd, or someone from the scrapyard, ahead of letting Walt do it.

And I could appreciate all of those things on some level, but it wasn't as fully as I should have, because I was busy thinking of how contrived the setup for that scene was. And when you add that to Mike's improbable decision last week to leave one of Walt's hands uncuffed, you have a character who's been treated as Batman from the moment we met him, and who's suddenly, implausibly, acting like Marvin from "Superfriends," because the story demanded that Mike be removed from it by any means necessary.

And that's a shame, because there were so many great moments in this episode, and not just at the beginning and end. Just look at Banks' face in the scene where the cops are closing in on him at the playground. This is the first time we've ever seen Mike Ehrmantraut really sweat, the first time we've seen him look defeated. He has just lost everything, and as he looks at the cops, and then looks at his carefree granddaughter on the swing, he knows it, and it's incredible to watch.

corso

Get in before tonight's episode or I will reveal the conclusion of this TV program on this here board. I just want one ####er to join.

Users who are viewing this thread