What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Breaking Bad on AMC (4 Viewers)

mad sweeney said:
Buckfast 1 said:
mad sweeney said:
Buckfast 1 said:
Can last night's episode put to rest the idea that keeps getting thrown around here that Hank is somehow the one "good" character on the show?

Hank is so hell-bent on bringing down Walt that he sends Jesse into a situation that could get him killed with absolutely no concern for his safety. Hank is not a "good" character. Hank has elevated the pursuit of his goal of catching Walt above concern for other human life -- a parallel to Walt's own immorality in his affairs.
Jesse may be a fan favorite but he's still amurdering junkie meth cook drug empire co-founder. Certainly Hank is acting above the law but he's still just trying to take down the biggest drug empire in NM, and Jesse is half of it. Jesse is responsible just as much as Walt, in addition to being 100% responsible for killing Gale (which he presumably confessed to), so using him as bait isn't all that bad. The whole show is about the grey areas between right and wrong and Hank is still very white on the scale. Just as Jesse is still way on the dark side.
Just because someone previously worked as a meth cook does mean that it is ethical to send them into a potential deadly trap with zero concern for their safety. Gomez rightly raised his concerns about Jesse to Hank, which Hank dismissed out of hand suggesting that Jesse was nothing more than a "meth junkie" for whom he was willing to sacrifice his life in order to achieve his ultimate goal of catching Walt. In that way, both Walt and Hank have essentially come to the same moral conclusion -- that they are willing to manipulate and ultimately sacrifice the life of Jesse to achieve their own goals. If you really think still that Hank is a good guy on the white side of the scale, I think you are missing out on a key point that the Breaking Bad writers were trying to make in that scene.
I get that Hank is acting above the law, hence why I wrote it, but Jesse is far more than just a "meth junkie". The moral conclusion that Hank has drawn is far, far different than Walt's. In fact, you can easily say that their moral conclusions are exactly opposite. As I wrote, which you apparently just dismissed most of, the show is about shades of grey. Walt is almost black. Hank is sullied a little but is still well on the white side of the scale. He's trying to take down the two most dangerous drug empire architects in the state, but he's a bad guy because he's willing to sacrifice a murderous junkie drug dealer (who despite being well liked by the audience is still well past charcoal on the scale)? Not buying it. Hank is trying to stop it, by definition that makes him a good guy.
Their "empire" lies in ruins. This bust gets absolutely no junk off the streets. Hank is a turd who's sole reason for going hard after White is a bruised ego.

shadyridr said:
Jesse is the good guy in this show. Hes been manipulated to hell and back by everybody and last night was his redemption moment and he finally took control. Everyone is rooting for jesse imo. He may not be good in the true sense of the word (he did kill gale, deals drugs, etc) but hes the one everyone is rooting for now
My friends and family think there is something wrong with me. Still cheering for Walt.

mad sweeney said:
Buckfast 1 said:
mad sweeney said:
Buckfast 1 said:
Can last night's episode put to rest the idea that keeps getting thrown around here that Hank is somehow the one "good" character on the show?

Hank is so hell-bent on bringing down Walt that he sends Jesse into a situation that could get him killed with absolutely no concern for his safety. Hank is not a "good" character. Hank has elevated the pursuit of his goal of catching Walt above concern for other human life -- a parallel to Walt's own immorality in his affairs.
Jesse may be a fan favorite but he's still amurdering junkie meth cook drug empire co-founder. Certainly Hank is acting above the law but he's still just trying to take down the biggest drug empire in NM, and Jesse is half of it. Jesse is responsible just as much as Walt, in addition to being 100% responsible for killing Gale (which he presumably confessed to), so using him as bait isn't all that bad. The whole show is about the grey areas between right and wrong and Hank is still very white on the scale. Just as Jesse is still way on the dark side.
Just because someone previously worked as a meth cook does mean that it is ethical to send them into a potential deadly trap with zero concern for their safety. Gomez rightly raised his concerns about Jesse to Hank, which Hank dismissed out of hand suggesting that Jesse was nothing more than a "meth junkie" for whom he was willing to sacrifice his life in order to achieve his ultimate goal of catching Walt. In that way, both Walt and Hank have essentially come to the same moral conclusion -- that they are willing to manipulate and ultimately sacrifice the life of Jesse to achieve their own goals. If you really think still that Hank is a good guy on the white side of the scale, I think you are missing out on a key point that the Breaking Bad writers were trying to make in that scene.
I get that Hank is acting above the law, hence why I wrote it, but Jesse is far more than just a "meth junkie". The moral conclusion that Hank has drawn is far, far different than Walt's. In fact, you can easily say that their moral conclusions are exactly opposite. As I wrote, which you apparently just dismissed most of, the show is about shades of grey. Walt is almost black. Hank is sullied a little but is still well on the white side of the scale. He's trying to take down the two most dangerous drug empire architects in the state, but he's a bad guy because he's willing to sacrifice a murderous junkie drug dealer (who despite being well liked by the audience is still well past charcoal on the scale)? Not buying it. Hank is trying to stop it, by definition that makes him a good guy.
Their "empire" lies in ruins. This bust gets absolutely no junk off the streets. Hank is a turd who's sole reason for going hard after White is a bruised ego.
:lmao:

John Bender said:
Now this thread has Tim and people criticizing RN posting the Sep review. Jesus. I've really seen it all now
One of the reasons why I visit the TV threads in here for shows I really Like.

I do know this : many people (grantland guys, numerous critics) say that bb has a chance to "stick the landing" on the show in a way no other shows have. There are only 4 episodes to go so I worry that we will run out of time, but they have not slowed things a bit. My prediction;

Ricin is for Jesse. Gun is for Todd's crew. Hanks family All dead, including hank and Marie, at the hands of Todd's crew.

Walt Jr., meet your new BFF Jesse. You two are about to start hanging out a lot. Hey, he has some other friends you should meet too, Badger and the skinny guy. You'll all get along great. Oh hey, feeling bummed about your day's health? Yeah, that's rough man. Here, ttake a hit of this, it'll help. No worries dude...

I do know this : many people (grantland guys, numerous critics) say that bb has a chance to "stick the landing" on the show in a way no other shows have. There are only 4 episodes to go so I worry that we will run out of time, but they have not slowed things a bit. My prediction;

Ricin is for Jesse. Gun is for Todd's crew. Hanks family All dead, including hank and Marie, at the hands of Todd's crew.
I would like that ending. It would be real sad but good.

I actuallt didn't like the episode that much the first time but found it great on rewatch. Definitely something in the way Jesse looked at the pic of Walt as Santa Claus. He's going after the family.

I actuallt didn't like the episode that much the first time but found it great on rewatch. Definitely something in the way Jesse looked at the pic of Walt as Santa Claus. He's going after the family.
I don't know. Sure going after Walts family is in play but Jessie did tell hank there was another way to get to Walt and that leads me to believe it wouldn't be family related.

I don't know. Sure going after Walts family is in play but Jessie did tell hank there was another way to get to Walt and that leads me to believe it wouldn't be family related.
It's just that look he had after looking at the picture. Like a lightbulb went on over his head.

It's just that look he had after looking at the picture. Like a lightbulb went on over his head.
Skyler was looking pretty good in that pic. Maybe the lightbulb went on in his pants. Making a little Jesse Jr. would be a nice revenge.

Skyler was looking pretty good in that pic. Maybe the lightbulb went on in his pants. Making a little Jesse Jr. would be a nice revenge.
yeah, that's it.

yeah, that's it.
"where he lives" = skylar's vajayjay

it seemed to me he looked at that pic and thought...thats not the mr white i know

pantherclub said:
My only 2 issues with this episode. Minor yet they bug me for some reason.
My issue (more with cop shows in general than this particular BB episode) is WTF is up with strapping wires onto people to get dirt on perps?!

Cannot law enforcement at least disguise the equipment as a common cell phone? Better yet, is there an app for this?

I have to agree that Jesse is talking about Walt's ego when he says that he's gonna hit him where he really lives. He couldn't Gale go down as Heisenberg, so he told Hank he's probably still out there. I think Jesse either names himself as Heisenberg or he gives the DEA Todd and they make him out to be the mastermind. Walt can't stand it and goes back to cooking.

I have to agree that Jesse is talking about Walt's ego when he says that he's gonna hit him where he really lives. He couldn't Gale go down as Heisenberg, so he told Hank he's probably still out there. I think Jesse either names himself as Heisenberg or he gives the DEA Todd and they make him out to be the mastermind. Walt can't stand it and goes back to cooking.
Jesse acknowledged Walt is Heisenberg when Hank was with him in the interrogation room.

Jesse acknowledged Walt is Heisenberg when Hank was with him in the interrogation room.
It doesn't have to actually be true, FYI.

jamny said:
Just noticed that Betsy Brandt is starring in the new Michael J Fox sitcom
Wait, does that mean that Marie is going to die? I don't see how she could continue shooting both series when one is shot in New Mexico.

Seems to me that the "where he lives" thing is more likely a reference to Walt's non-Heisenberg persona, the cancer-stricken family man. Jesse is going to try to destroy that.

Maybe Jesse somehow publicizes Walt's criminal life to the respectable world where Walt lives most of his life. That's how his house ends up getting trashed and "Heisenberg" spray painted on the wall. That's why the neighbor looked so freaked out when Walt showed back up at the house in the flash-forward. Maybe Jesse has a nice one-on-one with Walt Jr. to let him know what the family's been up to. I don't think Jesse wants to kill Walt's family, he just wants to blow up Walt's relationship with them.

:shrug: Seems to me to be the best way to interpret Jesse's gaze at the Santa Claus picture.

Seems to me that the "where he lives" thing is more likely a reference to Walt's non-Heisenberg persona, the cancer-stricken family man. Jesse is going to try to destroy that.

Maybe Jesse somehow publicizes Walt's criminal life to the respectable world where Walt lives most of his life. That's how his house ends up getting trashed and "Heisenberg" spray painted on the wall. That's why the neighbor looked so freaked out when Walt showed back up at the house in the flash-forward. Maybe Jesse has a nice one-on-one with Walt Jr. to let him know what the family's been up to. I don't think Jesse wants to kill Walt's family, he just wants to blow up Walt's relationship with them.

:shrug: Seems to me to be the best way to interpret Jesse's gaze at the Santa Claus picture.
I think this is probably right. We know already that Walt gets "outed" eventually. It seems logical know that Jesse is going to be instrumental in that outing.

On an unrelated note, I wonder if there was supposed to be any significance to Jesse handling a copy of Dutch when he was in Hank's house. It's probably nothing, but that was such an oddly specific book that it jumped at out me. (Dutch is a fictionalized biography of Ronald Reagan written from the vantage point of an imaginary friend who follows him around from his childhood on).

I really hope Jesse's plan is more impressive than simply outing Walt publicly... Since that's exactly what getting him arrested would've accomplished.

I think this is probably right. We know already that Walt gets "outed" eventually. It seems logical know that Jesse is going to be instrumental in that outing.

On an unrelated note, I wonder if there was supposed to be any significance to Jesse handling a copy of Dutch when he was in Hank's house. It's probably nothing, but that was such an oddly specific book that it jumped at out me. (Dutch is a fictionalized biography of Ronald Reagan written from the vantage point of an imaginary friend who follows him around from his childhood on).
sounds good but i have my reservations about Hank going along with that. It wouldnt be any different than if Hank told his superiors about his brother inlaw being the guy he was after ...he ends up looking like a fool either way.

I worry about running out of time as well, but there could have been things cut down if it was needed.

For instance, I thought the gas clean-up/cover up went on forever in this past episode.

If Jesse wants to destroy all that Walt holds dear, he can go after Skyler, Walt Jr., and Holly. Killing them would crush Walt. That would be revenge for what Walt did to Jane and Brock. It would also make Walt's life pointless since, after all, Walt started the whole meth thing to get enough money to make sure his family was taken care of when the cancer took him. Then maybe we end with Walt taking the ricin to complete the loop.

Buckfast 1 said:

seeing it fom Honk's perspective, Jesse has killed or helped to kill a lot of people.

He shot Tuco, killed Gale in cold blood, attepted to kill the guys who killed Combo, killed some folks in Mexico with Fring's crew...helped Walt to kill Gus, Tyrus and Hector, was an accomplice in Todd killing Drew Sharp

Not to mention how many lives he halped to destroy with the meth operation. From Honk's perspective, he's just another drain on civilized society.

why does everyone keep thinking someone would take Ricin to kill themselves? it's not a pleasant way to go.
Why does everyone keep thinking that they have to come up with how this all ends?

It's an amazing display of people jockeying for that 'I told you so' moment.

Sit back, relax, tune in the next couple of weeks and find out when it happens.

I think Hank and Jesse start cooking together. We already know how much Hank loves home brewing and he's already an expert when it comes to rocks. That will really hit Walt "where he lives" as he will no longer have a source of income. Walt Jr can become their Todd too.

Boom.

Last edited by a moderator:
why does everyone keep thinking someone would take Ricin to kill themselves? it's not a pleasant way to go.
Why does everyone keep thinking that they have to come up with how this all ends?

It's an amazing display of people jockeying for that 'I told you so' moment.

Sit back, relax, tune in the next couple of weeks and find out when it happens.
The plane that crashed at the end of Season Whatever-Season-That-Was actually was loaded with chemical weapons that have been slowly killing the townspeople. Every resident of the town dies in the final episode except for Walt. The chemicals have healed his cancer and he moves to New Hampshire. He only comes back because the chemicals also mutated all of the animals in the local zoo and have taken over the city.

Users who are viewing this thread