What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Phrases/terms that need to be retired immediately (2 Viewers)

Last edited by a moderator:
If she’s got a hydroflask with a dozen stickers on it and multiple scrunchies, wears Birkenstocks with socks, she’s probably VSCO. 

https://offspring.lifehacker.com/a-parents-guide-to-vsco-girls-1839095762#:~:targetText=So a “VSCO girl” was,is hugely popular among teens.

"A Parent's Guide to VSCO Girls"

huh - "You may already know that VSCO (pronounced “visco”) is actually a photo editing and sharing app."
Oh, I see.  At first I thought it was something related to Victoria Secret... :bag:

Kinda reminds me of the "preps" and "goths" and what not back in the day.  Some of the "goths" would get so mad if you thought they looked preppy.  

People that say or type (on FB), "Nom, Nom, Nom,"  when they see/eat some food they like.   Just want to punch these people right in the face.
:bag:  

I have never actually said this, but I am fairly sure I'm guilty of "saying" it on FB on rare occasion.  

What can I say, I like food.  :fat: 

https://offspring.lifehacker.com/a-parents-guide-to-vsco-girls-1839095762#:~:targetText=So a “VSCO girl” was,is hugely popular among teens.

"A Parent's Guide to VSCO Girls"

huh - "You may already know that VSCO (pronounced “visco”) is actually a photo editing and sharing app."
If you’ve suddenly noticed your daughter saying these phrases or wearing scrunchies halfway up to her elbow, she may be trying to become a VSCO girl.
I thought women who wore scrunchies on their arm were advertising something else. :mellow:

This may have already been mentioned, but I can't stand it when upper management uses "ask" as a noun.

Ex.  I know things are tough during this period of short staffing, but the ask is everyone pitch in and sign up for extra shifts until the new hires arrive.

I also hate the general trend of dropping the last few letters off a word to create instant slang: fam for family, proj for project, sesh for session, etc.

But what the heck is "sksksk"?  And how is it pronounced?
You don't really pronounce it, you type it. It's like a mashup of omg and lol. I think it is supposed to be like someone is so excited they are just smashing at their keyboard or can't come up with anything real to type. and i oop. 

You don't really pronounce it, you type it. It's like a mashup of omg and lol. I think it is supposed to be like someone is so excited they are just smashing at their keyboard or can't come up with anything real to type. and i oop. 
I am so glad I avoided that sort of phase.  No Valley Girl for rme.

Here’s one that might just be exclusive to education.

Kiddos

For some reason over the last couple of years instead of saying “kids” or “children” educational professionals seem to like saying “kiddos”.  “So if your kiddos need extra time to log in...”  “We need to make sure the kiddos are lining up in order...”

Hey, Darrin?  Just say “kids”.  Not only are you not Australian you have a PhD in some sort of BS kid science ####.  I mean I know it’s from University of Phoeni$ but just stop
Doggos is ok for dogs though, right?

Here’s one that might just be exclusive to education.

Kiddos

For some reason over the last couple of years instead of saying “kids” or “children” educational professionals seem to like saying “kiddos”.  “So if your kiddos need extra time to log in...”  “We need to make sure the kiddos are lining up in order...”

Hey, Darrin?  Just say “kids”.  Not only are you not Australian you have a PhD in some sort of BS kid science ####.  I mean I know it’s from University of Phoeni$ but just stop
Can't stand when teachers say kiddos. It drives me nuts. 

I don't know but I have heard it used in high school. 
Seriously?  I think I would have been pretty offended to be called "kiddo" as a high school student.  It's right up there with "young lady" for someone who is obviously a old lady.  I pity the poor fool who tries that one on me.

Seriously?  I think I would have been pretty offended to be called "kiddo" as a high school student.  It's right up there with "young lady" for someone who is obviously a old lady.  I pity the poor fool who tries that one on me.
Don’t ever hear them call an individual kid a kiddo. It’s always plural, like “the kiddos from band will be on a field trip today”. It’s only a small select group of female teachers who say it. 

This may have already been mentioned, but I can't stand it when upper management uses "ask" as a noun.

Ex.  I know things are tough during this period of short staffing, but the ask is everyone pitch in and sign up for extra shifts until the new hires arrive.

I also hate the general trend of dropping the last few letters off a word to create instant slang: fam for family, proj for project, sesh for session, etc.
I'm convinced 95% of upper management types get all of their slang from management/how to lead/self-empowerment books. And 100% of those terms completely suck.

I'm convinced 95% of upper management types get all of their slang from management/how to lead/self-empowerment books. And 100% of those terms completely suck.
My local one is "solution" as a verb, as short had for "design/develop a solution".  Example: "The customer has submitted request X. We need to solution this."

That would drive me nuts.
it feels like some people are so wrapped up in day-to-day business jargon that it seeps in to their every day life, too.  and not just the language but the manner of speaking that they use at work when talking to employees/co-workers/bosses.

you know they didn't grow up talking like Bob Dobolina, but here they are in their 40s talking to any and everyone like they're on a sales call with the midwest rep at JP Morgan.

as i understand it, a VSCO girl is just the new wave Valley Girl.  more or less the same criteria.  

my daughter tried explaining it to me and it sounds just like what i remember from the middle school years. VSCO girls are the girls who clique up that look alike, talk alike and are too cool for everyone and everything.
Typical scene at my school.

Camryn: Ugh. I can’t stand VSCO girls.

Jaysyn: Me either. They’re just so basic.

Michalynn: The way they all look the same, dress exactly alike,...so stupid.

As they stand there in their red “Pismo Beach Lifeguard” hoodies and ripped jeans with leggings underneath.

I thought women who wore scrunchies on their arm were advertising something else. :mellow:
According to my middle school teacher friend, part of the VSCO thing in our area is the kids that hide their vape pens - some as small and similar in look to a usb driver - in the scrunchie.  And then can vape quickly whenever and wherever.  I'm sure that's not universal, but she said it's a real issue in their school. 

According to my middle school teacher friend, part of the VSCO thing in our area is the kids that hide their vape pens - some as small and similar in look to a usb driver - in the scrunchie.  And then can vape quickly whenever and wherever.  I'm sure that's not universal, but she said it's a real issue in their school. 
not a vape guy so not sure but don't these things result in a seriously big vapor cloud?

not a vape guy so not sure but don't these things result in a seriously big vapor cloud?
I'm not either.  I think it depends on how much vapor is ingested at a time?  My buddy has a mj pen and he exhales almost no vapor.  But admittedly I'm not very hip so just going by what she says.  

I'm not either.  I think it depends on how much vapor is ingested at a time?  My buddy has a mj pen and he exhales almost no vapor.  But admittedly I'm not very hip so just going by what she says.  
There are vape apparatuses that result in a TON of vapor... looks like a train.  Others that give off very little.  

Users who are viewing this thread