Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Mr. Pickles

Phrases/terms that need to be retired immediately

I'm going to have to throw Homer under the bus here.

FAIL

There's no need to deviate from the proper usage here to get the same effect, ie. "He is a failure" works just as well (if not better) than "He is fail."

4-chan is making the world stupid.

FAIL

There's no need to deviate from the proper usage here to get the same effect, ie. "He is a failure" works just as well (if not better) than "He is fail."

4-chan is making the world stupid.

Agreed.

game changer

Back in the day :lmao: Oh how I hate that phrase.

What's funny, is it's usually like some 13 y.o. who uses it ad nauseum.

savvy - it just doesn't die

Savvy's just a word, not a catchphrase. Don't think it's gonna die anytime soon.

Was this the best _____ ever?common applications includeWas this the best Super Bowl ever?Is LeBron James/Kobe Bryant the best ever?Was that dump I took in the tank of the executive's toilet the best dump ever?

Damn... :thumbup:...It seems everything that's even remotely good these days has to be thrown into some discussion of "Best Evers". So many people have no sense of history. Edited by the hairy scotsman

game changer

Back in the day :hifive: Oh how I hate that phrase.

Savvy's just a word, not a catchphrase. Don't think it's gonna die anytime soon.

Was this the best _____ ever?common applications includeWas this the best Super Bowl ever?Is LeBron James/Kobe Bryant the best ever?Was that dump I took in the tank of the executive's toilet the best dump ever?

Damn... :thumbup:...It seems everything that's even remotely good these days has to be thrown into some discussion of "Best Evers". So many people have no sense of history.
This is true. I'm no fan of 43 by any stretch, but when I hear people definitively call him "THE worst President ever", it doesn't to me that they're taking everyone into account. Bush might very well be, but at least research Mr. Warren G. Harding first.

A common offshoot:Can ________ save ________ ?as inCan LeBron save the NBA?Can Phelps save swimming/the olympics?Can A-Rod save the Yankees?Can Michelle Wie save the PGA?Insert any loosely related athletes and sports into this formula and all of a sudden a boring fluff piece is hard-hitting sports journalism.

Atheletes giving more that 100%.

When someone replies to a witty comment with the no-so-witty "I see what you did there". Did ya? :rolleyes:

Sports- "He's like a coach on the field"

A nice way of saying he's old & slow.
game manager

game changer

Back in the day :angry: Oh how I hate that phrase.

Damn... :goodposting:...It seems everything that's even remotely good these days has to be thrown into some discussion of "Best Evers". So many people have no sense of history.
This is true. I'm no fan of 43 by any stretch, but when I hear people definitively call him "THE worst President ever", it doesn't to me that they're taking everyone into account. Bush might very well be, but at least research Mr. Warren G. Harding first.
:goodposting:

Anything ______-American (Ukranian, Slavik, Mexican, etc).

Edited by SteevieG

"What's up?"

Bob Knight really hates this phrase. :bowtie:

Unnecessary or awkward shortened terms are bugging me lately:

"navi" for GPS navigation system (I think this is also a brand, but it's been used to describe GPS in general, notably by Subaru)

"presser" for press conference

"stim" for stimulus bill/package (Keith Olbermann seems to be a fan of this)

While I agree that "shovel-ready" is grating, I heard on NPR someone from the NIH talking about the "beaker-ready" projects they could pursue under the stimulus plan (or stim). I didn't mind that one so much, mostly because it made me think of the Muppet Show.

Phones "blowing up" - Just stop it.

The practice of giving famous couples "cute" nicknames by combining their first names.

TomKat

BrAngelina

The practice of creating a nickname by using the first initial and first two or three letters of the last name.

JLo

ARod

KRod

FAILThere's no need to deviate from the proper usage here to get the same effect, ie. "He is a failure" works just as well (if not better) than "He is fail."4-chan is making the world stupid.

Its older than 4chan.

The practice of giving famous couples "cute" nicknames by combining their first names.TomKatBrAngelinaThe practice of creating a nickname by using the first initial and first two or three letters of the last name.JLoARodKRod

Chris Matthews loves to call Rod Blagojevich "BRod."

"Sorry, some required files are missing, if you intended to view a topic, it's possible that it's been moved or deleted. Please go back and try again"

"Sorry, some required files are missing, if you intended to view a topic, it's possible that it's been moved or deleted. Please go back and try again"

:suds:

The practice of giving famous couples "cute" nicknames by combining their first names.TomKatBrAngelinaThe practice of creating a nickname by using the first initial and first two or three letters of the last name.JLoARodKRod

Chris Matthews loves to call Rod Blagojevich "BRod."
RVag