What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Phrases/terms that need to be retired immediately (6 Viewers)

all of a sudden "orthogonal" has become a buzzword at my workplace

Last edited by a moderator:
The guys blasting away on electronic cigarettes have taken to calling traditional cigarettes "analogs." So painful.
Have you been in that thread here? I went in there just to see what it was all about and my head exploded. Here are some excerpts:
Assuming you haven’t vaped any of the cartos dry, which can damage the internal wick or polyfill, you should be able to get by with just juice.
Doublers: The juices come in 1 oz, and doublers come in 2 oz. Can anyone confirm if I get the 1 oz 48 mg and mix with 2 oz doubler, it's basically the same as getting 3 oz of 16 mg nicotine juice (i.e. 48 mg divided by 3 oz = 16 mg) and I can eek it closer to 18 mg by skimping a few ml of the doubler? Other option would be to get the 36 mg and just use half of the 2 oz doubler to get it to 18 mg, but in either case I'm doing a little bit of pouring guesswork. If I go 48 mg it would be a heck of a bargain getting roughly 90 ml for $20. Probably last me as long as 100+ cartomizers for the cost of 10 prefilleds.
Glumpy, having started with V4L PV's, I never wanted to get into dripping. I went in another direction, the Notcigs Buzz variable voltgae PV, and Ikenvape mega 808 cartridges. Of course, dripping with the Notcigs Buzz works great for people who like to drip as well. I'll be buying a second Buzz soon. I love it. The new one will vape heavilly for 16 hours! One the same battery charge. A new thumbweel voltage adjustment will be on the new one as well. The VV (variable voltage) hits like a ton of bricks, and interestingly enough, some juices like a different voltage setting for finding the sweet spot. With the Buzz and an Ikenvape high voltage mega 808 cart, I can go out to a pub, swill some brews for hours, and never have to do anything but take a vape when I want it, and I vape heavilly at 36mg's and being an ex 3 packs a day smoker.
:lmao: Yes, I have a strange fascination with that thread. It's like the WoW of nicotine addiction.

"After the jump" in reference to a blog post or article that has some embedded commercial or ad you have to scroll past to read more.

I heard this on the news this AM: "self-evacuated". "The couple self-evacuated as the fire destroyed their house." Really, KDKA? Really?

"That's an X-dollar bill," where X is a denomination not used in currency. Like: "Got a raise at work. That's an extra two-hundred-and-fifty dollar bill in my pocket every month."

"Reach out"

Awful. You're talking to someone, you're asking someone for something, you're sucking up, whatever. Reaching out makes me think of two people desperately running towards each other on the beach - which is already a crummy cliche.

Reboot.

This is something you do to a computer. A movie remake is just that, a remake.

Why the hell is it called a reboot?
What if they made a sequel to Das Boot?
Technically, Die Boote (the boats) or Das Boot Zwei (the boat 2)But yes, I get your point.

No one has answered my question though. Why is a movie remake a 'reboot.' I would be fine with the following to a certain degree...

"Reach out"Awful. You're talking to someone, you're asking someone for something, you're sucking up, whatever. Reaching out makes me think of two people desperately running towards each other on the beach - which is already a crummy cliche.
:goodposting: times a scoobtillion

Reboot.

Technically, Die Boote (the boats) or Das Boot Zwei (the boat 2)But yes, I get your point.

No one has answered my question though. Why is a movie remake a 'reboot.' I would be fine with the following to a certain degree...
'Reboot' is usually reserved for a franchise, instead of a single film.Like, the Star Trek "reboot" directed by JJ Abrams that came out last year. It's a total, back to square one for the franchise. It's got none of the continuity from the Shatner/Patrick Stewart film series or TV shows. It's an all new film series, with new adventures for Capt. Kirk and the gang.

Same with the Batman "reboot" with Christian Bale... we're not supposed to view it as a continuation of the Michael Keaton/Val Kilmer series. Or the Superman reboot is not a continuation of the Christopher Reeves series. And the next Spiderman film will not be a continuation of the Tobey Maguire series.

It's got new canon and continuity.

Reboot.

'Reboot' is usually reserved for a franchise, instead of a single film.Like, the Star Trek "reboot" directed by JJ Abrams that came out last year. It's a total, back to square one for the franchise. It's got none of the continuity from the Shatner/Patrick Stewart film series or TV shows. It's an all new film series, with new adventures for Capt. Kirk and the gang.

Same with the Batman "reboot" with Christian Bale... we're not supposed to view it as a continuation of the Michael Keaton/Val Kilmer series. Or the Superman reboot is not a continuation of the Christopher Reeves series. And the next Spiderman film will not be a continuation of the Tobey Maguire series.

OK. I get it.Is it only reserved for this though? I see it used instead of 'remake' all the time.

'Sarnoff said:
'mr roboto said:
Reboot.

You just seriously used "reboot", "franchise", and "canon" in one post talking about a movie. You just won this thread.

'Gr00vus said:
"Reach out"Awful. You're talking to someone, you're asking someone for something, you're sucking up, whatever. Reaching out makes me think of two people desperately running towards each other on the beach - which is already a crummy cliche.
What about "touch base"? Acceptable?

'Gr00vus said:
What about "touch base"? Acceptable?
Absolutely not. What is the origin of this? What base are we touching?

touch base As in "we will touch base at the meeting". To ensure everyone has the same information. In baseball, a player who is touching a base is not in danger of being put out. Another explanation is that a player briefly touches each of the bases when he runs around after hitting a home run; therefore "touching base" is briefly checking in (this is more similar to the meaning in the above example). It may also refer to a seldom enforced rule, 7.08(d) which implies that a runner must touch base after a batter hits a foul ball which goes out of play. May also be a military term. Also said extensively and out of context in the world of selling ads for trade mags.
:mellow:

Any phrase that is in "quotations marks" merely to indicate "emphasis." It happens in the Shark Pool pretty often — e.g., "I don't think he will be a 'top tier' guy this season, or be any more 'motivated' than normal." (What's the difference between being "top tier" and being top tier? What's the difference between being "motivated" and being motivated?)

Anyway, here's the example that inspired this post.
I love when these are used to emphasize things like "Live" Music.

I didn't read the entire thread, but the word "chippy" (used by idiot sportscasters when participants in a sporting event begin pushing, shoving, exchanging trash talk, etc) has GOT to go. I apologize if this has been discussed previously.

Mrs. IB just mentioned "Do the Needful"I'd never heard of it. Sounded kinky to me. Anyone?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Do_the_needfulWe outsource our helpdesk at work and I first heard this phrase about two years ago. First time I was like "say what?" Then when I heard what I thought I heard I almost laughed in the guy's face. Now, on occassion, I'll "reach out" to a colleague and end the email with "Do the needful!"

Saw somebody sign off a post using 'nuff said the other day.

You just know it's some pack a day smokin', Harley ridin', gun totin', MMA watchin', camo wearin', government hatin', small peckered jagoff who wrote it.

The know it all tough guy who's been working in a tire shop for 20 years.

ETA: if he just wrote "enough said", I wouldn't give it a 2nd thought, but that damn apostrophe n just sets me OFF

You just know it's some pack a day smokin', Harley ridin', gun totin', MMA watchin', camo wearin', government hatin', small peckered jagoff who wrote it.

ETA: if he just wrote "enough said", I wouldn't give it a 2nd thought, but that damn apostrophe n just sets me OFF
No offense, but this has to be one of the worst. I have been seeing it more and more. My guess is jagoff came from somebody hearing another word improperly and before anybody could correct them it became its own thing.

No offense, but this has to be one of the worst. I have been seeing it more and more. My guess is jagoff came from somebody hearing another word improperly and before anybody could correct them it became its own thing.
I think the term 'no offense' should be retired... due to it's inaccuracy... every time.

nufced

nufced
you rang?

Users who are viewing this thread