What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Phrases/terms that need to be retired immediately (4 Viewers)

Pops for beers

It's just stupid.
Say wha?
Think I had too many pops tonight
First I'm hearing of this.
Been hearing it a lot lately. First the day Cutler was traded I heard it on about 3 different radio shows. Cutler gets rowdy. The kid likes his pops. Heard this and a few different variations on the FAN and ESPN.

Then I'm out road gambling in Texas and ran into a couple of golf pros....ended up fleecing them. Anyhow, they kept calling beers pops as well. Too many pops on the course today. Likely trying to explain why I was siphoning all their chips into my stack.

using "leverage" as a verb, unless you are actually talking about exerting physical force on something.

"Leveraging an existing test plan to expedite the life cycle of our software delivery ?" SMMFB, G

Pops for beers

It's just stupid.
That's actually a pretty old school, 1940s-1950s jazz-type slang term for an alcoholic drink. Like "So that broad an I had a couple of pops at the Tiger Lounge..."I don't think it really applied to beer though.
The only time I've heard it was on Law and Order. Chris Noth's character goes through a hypothetical - "Say I'm off duty and had a few pops. Leaving the bar, some kid comes up to me and points a gun at me, and I take him down." (George Dzundza's character) "That's a totally righteous shoot." (Noth) "Right, but if IA gets wind that there's booze on my breath, they'd crucify me". Or something pretty similar.

"does this mean John Madden is going to unretire?"

Lets see...its been said about 10 million times now since the Favre news started. We get it...its not really funny...and youre not the first person to have thought of it.

Users who are viewing this thread