What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

If Lebron took his career to Football (2 Viewers)

With his size, weight, and talent hed be top 5 WR hands down in my opinion. Hes pure talent
There's been plenty of track stars bust in the NFL, so just being a great athlete usually doesn't translate to being a good football player. I agree that it would be fun watching him try.

Last edited by a moderator:
He'd probably be better suited to TE, but maybe he could be a Colston type at WR.

I always thought Shaq would be a great left tackle.

Lebron was an All-State high school WR here in Ohio.
link:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LeBron_James

High school

Freshman year

James attended St. Vincent - St. Mary High School in Akron, Ohio; he was named a starter for the Fighting Irish.[2]. He averaged 21 points and 6.2 rebounds, and led the team to a 23–1 record en route to the Division III state title. Keith Dambrot, now head coach at the University of Akron, was the head coach at St. Vincent - St. Mary. Coach Dambrot started working with James doing $1 clinics at a local recreation center.[3]

Sophomore year

In his sophomore year, James averaged 25.2 points, 7.2 rebounds, 5.8 assists and 3.8 steals.[3] He led the team to a 26–1 record and a Division III state title for the second straight season.[4] He was the first sophomore to be named Ohio's "Mr. Basketball" and also became the first sophomore player ever selected to the USA Today All-USA First Team.[4]

As LeBron James was an avid football player, James was also named First-Team All-State as a wide receiver.[5] James accumulated more than 700 yards and was highly recruited by college scouts.[6]

Junior year

In James' junior year his stats improved again. He averaged 29.0 points, 8.3 rebounds, 5.7 assists and 3.3 steals and was again named Mr. Basketball of Ohio.[4] He also earned a spot on the All-USA First Team, and was named the 2001–2002 boys' basketball Gatorade National Player of the Year. It was at this time that his nickname "King James" would become a household staple in Ohio. James appeared in SLAM Magazine, which began his nationwide exposure. However, the St. Vincent - St. Mary basketball team did not defend its state title when increased enrollment forced the team to move up to the more challenging Division II (Ohio high school basketball has four divisions based on annual enrollment figures) and lost to Roger Bacon High School (Cincinnati). James attempted to declare for the NBA Draft after the season ended, petitioning for an adjustment to the NBA's draft eligibility rules which at the time required prospective players to have at least completed high school. The petition was unsuccessful, but it ensured him an unprecedented level of nation-wide attention as he entered his senior year. By then, James had already appeared on the covers of Sports Illustrated and ESPN The Magazine. His popularity forced his team to move their practices from the school gym to the nearby James A. Rhodes Arena at the University of Akron. NBA stars such as Shaquille O'Neal attended the games, and a few of James' high school games were even televised nationally on ESPN2 and regionally on pay-per-view.

Although his mother feared a football injury could hurt his chances in the NBA, James played his junior year of football and had 52 receptions for more than 1,000 yards and 15 touchdowns. James fractured the index finger on his left hand in the first game of the post-season, but did not reveal the injury until after the state finals, where his team lost.

Senior year

Gloria James created a firestorm of controversy when a bank took her son's future earning power into consideration, resulting in an approval of a loan used to buy an $80,000 Hummer H2 for her son's 18th birthday. The event prompted an investigation by the Ohio High School Athletic Association (OHSAA). Under the OHSAA guidelines, no amateur may accept any gift valued over $100 as a reward for athletic performance.[7] When James later accepted two throwback jerseys of Wes Unseld and Gale Sayers worth $845 from NEXT, an urban clothing store in Shaker Square, in exchange for his posing for pictures to be displayed on the store's walls, OHSAA stripped him of his eligibility.[8] James appealed and a judge blocked the ruling, reducing the penalty to a two-game suspension and allowing him to play the remainder of the season. However, James's team was forced to forfeit one of their wins as a result.[9] That forfeit loss was the team's only official loss that season.

Despite the distractions, the Irish won a third state title, with James averaging 31.6 points, 9.6 rebounds, 4.6 assists and 3.4 steals on the season.[4] James was named to the All-USA First Team for an unprecedented third time, and was selected as Mr. Basketball of Ohio.[4] He earned MVP honors at the McDonald's All-American Game, the EA Sports Roundball Classic, and the Jordan Capital Classic. Although it was a foregone conclusion, by participating in more than two high school all-star events, James officially lost his NCAA eligibility.

James finished his high school career with 2,657 points, 892 rebounds and 523 assists.[4]

For what it's worth, he take way more of a beating, be less of a superstar, and make WAAAAAAAY less money.

One blown ACL and he'd be out $100 million that he could make the next 10+ years in the NBA. He should stick to playing Madden '09 in his spare time. Maybe he could pay some computer programmer $1.0 million to somehow make him a player on one of the football video games or something.

Lebron made the right choice. Im watching those clips of him getting tackled and in a blink of an eye his future could be ovaaah! Less of a chance of that happening in the NBA. Plus he can be a bigger star in NBA, much more of an individual sport. He would have to be a total phenom to even get to the level he's at now.

and McNabb would have been a decent Basketball player....

if he could've kept himself away from the buffet tables...

Randy was WV player of the year 2years in a row and was a alley oop dunking machine with white chocolate(the original JWill) throwing him and1 style passes back in the day. his attempt to pick up the bball again years later didn't amount to much

Wilt Chamberlain was a Olympic Level high jumper, i still can't fathom a guy over 7feet being able to clear 7ft. with his size and freakish athleticism its no wonder he dominated on the way to GOAT. he probably could've made a decent redzone threat

Wilt Chamberlain was a Olympic Level high jumper, i still can't fathom a guy over 7feet being able to clear 7ft. with his size and freakish athleticism its no wonder he dominated on the way to GOAT. he probably could've made a decent redzone threat
link:http://www.answers.com/topic/wilt-chamberlain

He ran the 100-yard dash in 10.9 seconds, threw the shotput 56 feet, triple jumped more than 50 feet, and won the high jump in the Big Eight track and field championships three straight years.

He would be one of the top TEs, if not THE top TE in the league.

Probably too slow to be an elite WR, maybe a Herman Moore type.

slow ??

bet he is just as fast as Owens, Boldin, or Wayne

6'8" 260lbs. & built like a tank .... would have been a bigger stronger Randy Moss

leave a whisper said:
slow ??bet he is just as fast as Owens, Boldin, or Wayne 6'8" 260lbs. & built like a tank .... would have been a bigger stronger Randy Moss
You REALLY think he is as FAST as the receivers you mentioned? I think that is very presumptuous, bordering on a little crazy. We don't know for sure so I cant totally discount it, but I dont see anything close to NFL WR top end speed in lebron.That said, he was a great HS football player with immense physical skills, so this is a discussion worth having (unlike with many other athletes)... but as noted, it is likely a discussion as TE because I dont see him getting the seperation as a WR necessary to succeed in the NFL.

Lebron = Kicker in the NFL
Umm...huh? :thumbup: As for the rest of the thread. I don't think people are saying whether it would have been smart or not money wise.Just how would he have translated.I think pretty well.Given he did have a background in it...he is a ridiculous athlete. Its not just speed...but he has the size and athleticism.Probably a WR/TE type. And not that it means it would be the same for him...but two of the best TEs out there the past several years were not first even football players but basketball.I have no doubt in my mind he could have made it as a pro.Kicker though? :fishing:

Umm...huh? :thumbup: As for the rest of the thread. I don't think people are saying whether it would have been smart or not money wise.Just how would he have translated.I think pretty well.Given he did have a background in it...he is a ridiculous athlete. Its not just speed...but he has the size and athleticism.Probably a WR/TE type. And not that it means it would be the same for him...but two of the best TEs out there the past several years were not first even football players but basketball.I have no doubt in my mind he could have made it as a pro.Kicker though? :fishing:
I believe I was clear. If he was in the NFL, he would be a kicker.

leave a whisper said:
slow ??

6'8" 260lbs. & built like a tank .... would have been a bigger stronger Randy Moss
You REALLY think he is as FAST as the receivers you mentioned? I think that is very presumptuous, bordering on a little crazy. We don't know for sure so I cant totally discount it, but I dont see anything close to NFL WR top end speed in lebron.That said, he was a great HS football player with immense physical skills, so this is a discussion worth having (unlike with many other athletes)... but as noted, it is likely a discussion as TE because I dont see him getting the seperation as a WR necessary to succeed in the NFL.
You just quoted his measurables, tell me, why would he need to get separation?

He'd probably be better suited to TE, but maybe he could be a Colston type at WR.

I always thought Shaq would be a great left tackle defensive lineman.
Agreed. You wouldn't be able to get a pass off.

I always thought Shaq would be a great left tackle defensive lineman.
Agreed. You wouldn't be able to get a pass off.
Wow... he would have been a completely ridiculous DE. If he doesn't get to the QB, he's swatting down any pass thrown in his direction.Of course, he might last a season or two before an offensive lineman took out one of his knees, but he's dominate for as long as he'd last.

Umm...huh? :confused: As for the rest of the thread. I don't think people are saying whether it would have been smart or not money wise.Just how would he have translated.I think pretty well.Given he did have a background in it...he is a ridiculous athlete. Its not just speed...but he has the size and athleticism.Probably a WR/TE type. And not that it means it would be the same for him...but two of the best TEs out there the past several years were not first even football players but basketball.I have no doubt in my mind he could have made it as a pro.Kicker though? :fishing:
I believe I was clear. If he was in the NFL, he would be a kicker.
And I believe I was very clear...if you think that, you don't know much about how athletic the guy is and are severely misguided or you are fishing.

slow ??

You just quoted his measurables, tell me, why would he need to get separation?
Because we are talking about the NFL.At TE, looking for TE type routes (Gates style) and as an endzone target, you don't need as much seperation. On the outside and in the slot as a WR? Oh, you bet - even at 6'8"

These are High school measurements...6' 8"250 lbs4.40 40 yd dash
He's was bigger and faster than Gates is now, when he was in HS.He jumps higher than most current or past NBA or NFL players.He has great hands.He has great decision making skills.He's still only 25 years old.I personally would like to see him play free safety, but he could play WR, TE, CB, FS, SS, OLB, ILB, if he wanted to.

He's was bigger and faster than Gates is now, when he was in HS.He jumps higher than most current or past NBA or NFL players.He has great hands.He has great decision making skills.He's still only 25 years old.I personally would like to see him play free safety, but he could play WR, TE, CB, FS, SS, OLB, ILB, if he wanted to.
Are you guys really taking his high school 40 times seriously? Ummm, come on now. Hands/decision making on a basket ball court are far different than hands/decision making on a football field.

Are you guys really taking his high school 40 times seriously? Ummm, come on now. Hands/decision making on a basket ball court are far different than hands/decision making on a football field.
His 40 time now might not be much different.Its not like he is that old or out of shape.I think the point is, his measurables and athleticism and work ethic would be very favorable.IMO, anyone saying he could not do it or would be bad...is completely foolish or just fishing.

Why wouldn't we take his HS 40 time seriously? It was timed by college scouts. As far as hands/decision making go, both are harder in the NBA than the NFL.

His 40 time now might not be much different.Its not like he is that old or out of shape.I think the point is, his measurables and athleticism and work ethic would be very favorable.IMO, anyone saying he could not do it or would be bad...is completely foolish or just fishing.
My point is that high school 40 times are notoriously inaccurate and that time was probably largely inflated. So even if he does still have the same kind of speed as he did in high school, that speed is not as fast as that time. I'd love to see him try, but again I doubt he would make it in the NFL.

I'd love to see him try, but again I doubt he would make it in the NFL.
Im going to really ask why?What about him would make you doubt it?He has the size and frame for it...the athleticism...the work ethic.He does not have to have elite speed to be a very good NFL player whether WR/TE.

Im going to really ask why?What about him would make you doubt it?He has the size and frame for it...the athleticism...the work ethic.He does not have to have elite speed to be a very good NFL player whether WR/TE.
His route running would be horrendous. His feet are slow and he would struggle mightily to get off the line vs. NFL CBs (and every CB in the league would get physical with him for that very reason). He has a high center of gravity and runs high in and out of breaks, making him a walking telegraph as to where he is going to NFL DBs. His lateral quickness in not on par with NFL CBs. Sure, he can beat NBA players laterally when it is a foul to get a hand on you and you can set organized picks, but as a WR/TE he would have to create the separation on his own and beat the physical press own his own. Overall James is a lumbering athlete that would struggle to work in space and would hardly ever be able to create separation. Sure, you can say he would be able to catch jump balls, but the effect of that overall to the scheme of the game would be minimal. It doesn't do you much good to catch jump balls if you struggle to get 5 yds down the field and NFL DBs can anticipate the direction you and the ball are going. Bottom line, it doesn't matter how great of an athlete you think he is. One trick ponies are not going to cut it in the NFL on a consistent basis. The athletes are too good. One other little note. There a lot of guys who look like great athletes in shorts but when you put the pads on it's a totally different looking player. There is a reason for that. Overall I think you guys are greatly underestimating the physicality of the NFL. Outside of the jump ball, what exactly do you think he would do well?

My point is that high school 40 times are notoriously inaccurate and that time was probably largely inflated. So even if he does still have the same kind of speed as he did in high school, that speed is not as fast as that time. I'd love to see him try, but again I doubt he would make it in the NFL.
Your right, HS times are inflated going into college as much as college times are inflated going into the pros. But Lebron's reported 40 time was from the college scouts and not the HS coach. Unless your argument is that college scouts can't work a stop-watch, I think you might be wrong here, as almost every college scout in the country paid him a visit.

Your right, HS times are inflated going into college as much as college times are inflated going into the pros. But Lebron's reported 40 time was from the college scouts and not the HS coach. Unless your argument is that college scouts can't work a stop-watch, I think you might be wrong here, as almost every college scout in the country paid him a visit.
If the NFL felt they could trust college coaches there would be no need for Pro Days and the combine.

Im going to really ask why?What about him would make you doubt it?

He has the size and frame for it...the athleticism...the work ethic.

He does not have to have elite speed to be a very good NFL player whether WR/TE.
His route running would be horrendous. His feet are slow and he would struggle mightily to get off the line vs. NFL CBs (and every CB in the league would get physical with him for that very reason). He has a high center of gravity and runs high in and out of breaks, making him a walking telegraph as to where he is going to NFL DBs. His lateral quickness in not on par with NFL CBs. Sure, he can beat NBA players laterally when it is a foul to get a hand on you and you can set organized picks, but as a WR/TE he would have to create the separation on his own and beat the physical press own his own. Overall James is a lumbering athlete that would struggle to work in space and would hardly ever be able to create separation. Sure, you can say he would be able to catch jump balls, but the effect of that overall to the scheme of the game would be minimal. It doesn't do you much good to catch jump balls if you struggle to get 5 yds down the field and NFL DBs can anticipate the direction you and the ball are going. Bottom line, it doesn't matter how great of an athlete you think he is. One trick ponies are not going to cut it in the NFL on a consistent basis. The athletes are too good. One other little note. There a lot of guys who look like great athletes in shorts but when you put the pads on it's a totally different looking player. There is a reason for that. Overall I think you guys are greatly underestimating the physicality of the NFL. Outside of the jump ball, what exactly do you think he would do well?
I am about the last guy on earth who would defend Lebron. I'm even a borderline hater. With that being said..Have you ever seen him play? Have you never played basketball before? To say he doesn't have lateral quickness is absurd. You're not driving around guys into the lane without lateral quickness, and he is probably the most devastating player in the league at attacking the rim.

every CB in the league would get physical with him for that very reason)
Good luck with that.

Im going to really ask why?What about him would make you doubt it?

He has the size and frame for it...the athleticism...the work ethic.

He does not have to have elite speed to be a very good NFL player whether WR/TE.
I am about the last guy on earth who would defend Lebron. I'm even a borderline hater. With that being said..Have you ever seen him play? Have you never played basketball before? To say he doesn't have lateral quickness is absurd. You're not driving around guys into the lane without lateral quickness, and he is probably the most devastating player in the league at attacking the rim.

every CB in the league would get physical with him for that very reason)
Good luck with that.
You do understand that in the NBA you are not allowed to make contact with the offensive player, right?

Your just making stuff up now! Tell me which CB's would be throwing around a 6' 8" 250 lb WR? The guy is big enough to play tackle for Denver! Also slow feet? Have you watched this guy play? The guy makes 3 moves before a player reacts. The only thing you got partially right may have been the route running, but they don't teach proper route running in HS. There's no way you can be sure he'd blow it in college, let alone the pros.

Users who are viewing this thread