What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Californian's Rejoice! Your taxes are going UP UP UP! (1 Viewer)

StrikeS2k

Footballguy
The plan Democratic leaders laid out in confidential meetings with rank-and-file lawmakers would temporarily increase sales taxes by one cent, bringing the overall sales tax rate in Los Angeles County to 9.75%, according to legislators who were present. Motorists would pay 12 cents a gallon more for gasoline.

Vehicle license fees would nearly double, jumping from the current rate of 0.65% to 1.15% of the value of a car or truck. Such a hike would represent a major turnabout for Schwarzenegger: He rode a tide of anger against steep vehicle license fees to the governor's office in 2003, and his first official act in Sacramento was to slash those fees.

The plan also includes a temporary personal income tax surcharge. The surcharge would be a quarter-percent of taxes owed.
http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-ar...563,print.storyDetails are being ironed out but these taxes are almost definitely going to make it in.

We already have the highest sales tax rate in the country! :wub:
Highest sales taxHighest income tax - BTW, the highest bracket in CA kicks in at like 42k salary. Do you consider 42k wealthy?Highest business taxes in the Western US, which is why businesses are bailing for more business friendly states like Nevada.Etc....Yup, the problem is not revenue but spending. they refuse to reign in spending so they just keep raising taxes.

We already have the highest sales tax rate in the country! :thumbup:
Highest sales taxHighest income tax - BTW, the highest bracket in CA kicks in at like 42k salary. Do you consider 42k wealthy?Highest business taxes in the Western US, which is why businesses are bailing for more business friendly states like Nevada.Etc....Yup, the problem is not revenue but spending. they refuse to reign in spending so they just keep raising taxes.
Were #1!Were #1!We are screwed!

We already have the highest sales tax rate in the country! :)
Highest sales taxHighest income tax - BTW, the highest bracket in CA kicks in at like 42k salary. Do you consider 42k wealthy?

Highest business taxes in the Western US, which is why businesses are bailing for more business friendly states like Nevada.

Etc....

Yup, the problem is not revenue but spending. they refuse to reign in spending so they just keep raising taxes.
For once, Strike, we see eye to eye. They are terrified to stand up to the unions, especially the prison wardens. All they will accomplish is to drive more businesses out of the state, and their revenue will be less than ever.

We already have the highest sales tax rate in the country! :)
Highest sales taxHighest income tax - BTW, the highest bracket in CA kicks in at like 42k salary. Do you consider 42k wealthy?

Highest business taxes in the Western US, which is why businesses are bailing for more business friendly states like Nevada.

Etc....

Yup, the problem is not revenue but spending. they refuse to reign in spending so they just keep raising taxes.
For once, Strike, we see eye to eye. They are terrified to stand up to the unions, especially the prison wardens. All they will accomplish is to drive more businesses out of the state, and their revenue will be less than ever.
prison AND teachers unions. Remember, it was mainly the teachers union that defeated all of Awnuld's special ballot measures a few years ago and, for all intents and purposes, turned him in to a democrat. There is a provision in this bill that show the union power. I won't get in to specifics because it's somewhat complicated to explain but anyone who doesn't think the CA legislature isn't in the pocket of those unions is crazy.

Can we start deporting people yet?
That will cost more money than it will save.
We only have to deport people once. We spend $13 billion per year just on education for illegals.
Or just start cracking down on businesses that hire them. Really all you have to do is have people running around the city yelling "La Migra, La Migra" and watch them scatter. Good times, Good times.....
Wow.

California is just a snapshot of what the rest of the country will look like in 10 years. It isn't a pretty picture.

Just buy EVERYTHING on eBay, and you won't have to worry about sales taxes.

I buy everything except groceries and food stuffs on eBay.

Just buy EVERYTHING on eBay, and you won't have to worry about sales taxes.I buy everything except groceries and food stuffs on eBay.
I wonder how much longer until all internet purchases will be taxed. Not complaining, but can't see this lasting too much longer.

My wife and I are trying to get out. I've lived my whole life here but we pay out the wazoo and get nothing back for it. Our schools suck, we have high crime, high taxes. You can only pay so much for the weather. Unfortunately, we will have to wait until the job market comes back. We are looking at Seattle, Austin, or perhaps Minneapolis.

My wife and I are trying to get out. I've lived my whole life here but we pay out the wazoo and get nothing back for it. Our schools suck, we have high crime, high taxes. You can only pay so much for the weather. Unfortunately, we will have to wait until the job market comes back. We are looking at Seattle, Austin, or perhaps Minneapolis.
Have you considered Denver? I hate to say it cause "we" kinda hate Californians cause they're all moving here, but I like you. It's a great place to live and the weather is actually quite mild. Today it was about 50 out and sunny. We get over 300 days of sunshine a year. Home prices are reasonable compared to most populated areas of California as well.

With those tax rates there will be alot of voluntary deportation. Unfortunately it will be people you'd like to stick around.
4 years running more American Citizens have left California than moved there. The only reason the population continues to increase is illegal immigration and anchor babies of illegals. Considering those people take from the system far more then they put in the smaller and smaller base of Citizens living there are paying more and more to keep the state running. And, of course, we all know how that's working out.

Have you considered Denver? I hate to say it cause "we" kinda hate Californians cause they're all moving here, but I like you. It's a great place to live and the weather is actually quite mild. Today it was about 50 out and sunny. We get over 300 days of sunshine a year. Home prices are reasonable compared to most populated areas of California as well.
I like Denver, but we are somewhat limited by our jobs in where we can go. Austin is really even an outside shot. Before the economy tanked we were actually looking at setting ourselves up to go overseas. Hopefully that pops up again when the economy picks up.

Last edited by a moderator:
With those tax rates there will be alot of voluntary deportation. Unfortunately it will be people you'd like to stick around.
4 years running more American Citizens have left California than moved there. The only reason the population continues to increase is illegal immigration and anchor babies of illegals. Considering those people take from the system far more then they put in the smaller and smaller base of Citizens living there are paying more and more to keep the state running. And, of course, we all know how that's working out.
There's a lot of disagreement over this and I can't let you just run with it as an assumed fact. Illegals cost an awful lot to our education, hospitals, and criminal justice, and in all those areas, we have great trouble affording them. On the other hand, their willingness to work for low wages keeps our agriculture and other essential industries price competitive. Plus every illegal that comes spends most of their money here on food and shelter, and their spending has become an integral part of our economy. I have read different economists call this a wash, while others (notably from the Cato Institute) actually see the illegals effect on the economy as a net gain.

There's a lot of disagreement over this and I can't let you just run with it as an assumed fact. Illegals cost an awful lot to our education, hospitals, and criminal justice, and in all those areas, we have great trouble affording them. On the other hand, their willingness to work for low wages keeps our agriculture and other essential industries price competitive. Plus every illegal that comes spends most of their money here on food and shelter, and their spending has become an integral part of our economy. I have read different economists call this a wash, while others (notably from the Cato Institute) actually see the illegals effect on the economy as a net gain.
:excited:

This is completely wrong. The only disagreement about whether they're a net +/- comes from open borders people such as yourself. Unbiased studies have shown time and time again that this isn't true. I'm not going to debate this with you because there's no way I'll ever change your mind, which is decided based upon emotion and not facts. That's fine, but just know that I disagree completely and the facts support my stance and not yours.

California is a true example of what failed policies, over taxation and an overall liberal policy will do to a state/country.
Are you referring to the liberal spending of Republican Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger ?And on the federal level, the liberal spending from the Republican Bush Cheney Administrationon the other side of the world, while virtually ignoring the imploding economy at home ?I agree. The Republican party is a rudderless ship.

California is a true example of what failed policies, over taxation and an overall liberal policy will do to a state/country.
The United States economy right now is a true example of what failed policies, under-regulation and an overall conservative policy will do to a country.

Are you referring to the liberal spending of Republican Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger ?And on the federal level, the liberal spending from the Republican Bush Cheney Administrationon the other side of the world, while virtually ignoring the imploding economy at home ?I agree. The Republican party is a rudderless ship.
Yes, those Democrats in Congress had nothing to do with the spending :boxing:

I think most conservatives agree that the current Republicans have been way too fiscally liberal. There haven't been too many conservatives or Republicans on these boards that have been happy with spending over the last 8 years.

Californians have been ruining our state. The roads are now overcrowded, but the real problem is they bring their ultra-liberal idiocy with them. Their State is a #### hole thanks to their policies. They literally leave their state because they cannot live with the ramifications of those policies, yet what is the first thing they do when they get here? That's right, they spout off about how they use to handle issues in California. Tthen they run for the legislature and they try desperately to repeat their idiocy. #### them. They should be forced to live in their own mess. Nothing personal.

The United States economy right now is a true example of what failed policies, under-regulation and an overall conservative policy will do to a country.
Ahhh the Democratic playbook. Cast George Bush as a typical, even architypical conservative and then paint all conservatives with that Brush. The truth matyters not, just so long as the propaganda is effective through incessent bombardment.

Oh, and we don't have to stop with just illegals. Plenty of people who are here legally deserve to be deported as well.And once again I'm going to bring up these stupid proposition measures on the ballot. And the state legislature that doesn't do anything. Inmates running this asylum.

This is completely wrong. The only disagreement about whether they're a net +/- comes from open borders people such as yourself. Unbiased studies have shown time and time again that this isn't true. I'm not going to debate this with you because there's no way I'll ever change your mind, which is decided based upon emotion and not facts. That's fine, but just know that I disagree completely and the facts support my stance and not yours.
I agree, we don't need to debate it since we've done it before and we both know very well our own positions, and each others' positions as well. But you need to stop with the "facts support my stance" stuff. You know very well there are contradictory facts here which support both positions.

Just curious, but who is "they?" If you're a resident of California, "they" is elected by "you." So if folks don't like the State's spending practices and are sick of higher taxes, then throw the bums out. Can't have our cake (lots of spending on infrastructure, as an example) and eat it too (no $$$ to pay for it). As folks are hopefully quickly learning on the Federal level too. :yes: Illegal residents and undocumented workers are a BIG part of what is to blame out there for taxpayers taking it in the chin too (medical costs, income taxes not being paid, crime/prisons, etc.)...but rather than stew over it, what are folks actually going to DO about it?! :hifive:

Last edited by a moderator:
Just curious, but who is "they?" If you're a resident of California, "they" is elected by "you." So if folks don't like the State's spending practices and are sick of higher taxes, then throw the bums out. Can't have our cake (lots of spending on infrastructure, as an example) and eat it too (no $$$ to pay for it). As folks are hopefully quickly learning on the Federal level too. :shrug: Illegal residents and undocumented workers are a BIG part of what is to blame out there for taxpayers taking it in the chin too (medical costs, income taxes not being paid, crime/prisons, etc.)...but rather than stew over it, what are folks actually going to DO about it?! :shrug:
In the end, this (the bolded part) is really the problem. The public demands the lawmakers to keep taxes low and to keep spending on stuff at the same time. Everyone I talk to about this says "we need to cut spending" but nobody wants their spending cut.

Users who are viewing this thread