What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Thoughts on Early Doucet? Opportunity. (1 Viewer)

B Will

Footballguy
Breaston also put up 1000 yds and 3 tds.

I watched Doucet in college and i was impressed. He was a player i looked at before/ after the combine also, i picked him up pretty late in my rookie draft last year... like 36???

Anyone think he will Produce

He received some playing time at wide receiver when Boldin was out and he wasn't overly impressive. He was given some opportunities on some short passes but never displayed an ability to get yards after the catch. However, it was his rookie season so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Unless this is a deep league you are in, Doucet may not be worth keeping, though. Boldin isn't necessarily out of Arizona yet, and even if he is, Doucet has to contend with a pair of 25 year-old receivers in Fitzgerald and Breaston. He may end up being a good player, but plan on holding on to him for a while before expecting any results.

Last edited by a moderator:
see im in a 20 team dynasty. So players like him are our fantasy "gold" if we can find them for future needs. we can keep up to 30 players. Good Stash

He's definitely a buy right now. I just traded the 2.06 rookie pick for him. It may or may not work out, but we'll see.

Doucet's a great undervalued second year player to target as long as you do it before Boldin changes teams. Don't think that Doucet's lack of numbers means that he's a bust or that the Cards are disappointed in him:

Link

“For the most part it is (a numbers thing),” wide receivers coach Mike Miller said. “Early is doing well. His progress, it took a turn there with the injury and lack of reps. He is ready to go at three of our four spots. He’s just waiting for an opportunity to get in there and make it happen. We’d love to get him more, but right now, it’s a tough situation.”
Now, Doucet did battle nagging injuries all year, which is a much bigger concern to me than lack of playing time - he was actually a pretty advanced receiver at LSU all in all, not raw like a Buster Davis, so I think he'll be ready to contribute as soon as the Cards ask him to - but the nagging leg injuries have been an almost constant issue the last two years, and I believe they kept from being one of the first wideouts off the board last year. Still, he's a quality receiver that is next in line for a #3 WR role that produced a 1000 yard receiver last year, so you can't argue with the potential value as long as Boldin leaves this offseason. If Boldin stays the worry becomes Warner retiring before Doucet gets his shot, and Doucet inheriting a role in a much less explosive passing offense - still it seems like Doucet is coming cheap enough to tolerate that risk right now and then some.

Doucet's a great undervalued second year player to target as long as you do it before Boldin changes teams. Don't think that Doucet's lack of numbers means that he's a bust or that the Cards are disappointed in him:

Link

“For the most part it is (a numbers thing),” wide receivers coach Mike Miller said. “Early is doing well. His progress, it took a turn there with the injury and lack of reps. He is ready to go at three of our four spots. He’s just waiting for an opportunity to get in there and make it happen. We’d love to get him more, but right now, it’s a tough situation.”
Now, Doucet did battle nagging injuries all year, which is a much bigger concern to me than lack of playing time - he was actually a pretty advanced receiver at LSU all in all, not raw like a Buster Davis, so I think he'll be ready to contribute as soon as the Cards ask him to - but the nagging leg injuries have been an almost constant issue the last two years, and I believe they kept from being one of the first wideouts off the board last year. Still, he's a quality receiver that is next in line for a #3 WR role that produced a 1000 yard receiver last year, so you can't argue with the potential value as long as Boldin leaves this offseason. If Boldin stays the worry becomes Warner retiring before Doucet gets his shot, and Doucet inheriting a role in a much less explosive passing offense - still it seems like Doucet is coming cheap enough to tolerate that risk right now and then some.
Bloom, at this point how would you rank these 2008 rookie WRs for dynasty? Doucet ARI (if Boldin leaves), Kelly WAS, Caldwell CIN (if Housh leaves).

Link

Bloom, at this point how would you rank these 2008 rookie WRs for dynasty? Doucet ARI (if Boldin leaves), Kelly WAS, Caldwell CIN (if Housh leaves).
Assuming Boldin and Housh leave, I'd go:Doucet

Caldwell

Kelly

Kelly's value is still so up in the air right now because of the knee issues, and unless we see him stay healthy and look like the guy he was at Oklahoma for an extended stretch this year, it's going to be hard to believe in him. That being said, he still has the highest upside as a player, even if he's got the least potent passing offense to plug into. I love Caldwell's speed, and he's definitely ahead of Simpson on the depth chart at this point.

All three of these guys carry injury risk, only Kelly has the profile of something approaching a #1, but the other have the advantage of being in great passing offenses.

First - learn to spell it is B-O-L-D-I-N..........................there is no g

Second - WHY do so many think that Q is actually leaving? Because he told his agent not to accept any contract changes from the Cards? Maybe - may be just his agent at work.........................BUT the fact remains that he is under CONTRACT for TWO more years - he has no leverage in this. I believe the Cardinals will try and renegotiate the contract, but if Boldin does not want to, he will still be under contract - he could hold out - so what? the Cardinals would STILL retain his rights under contract for two years. But if Arizona re-signs Warner AND Dansby they might decide a trade would leave them better placed - Breaston certainly came up big last year and they have DE Antonio Smith's contract to deal with as well.

Finally, let's assume Boldin leaves or quits - you still have Fitzgerald and Breaston...............THEN Urban is still ahead (admittedly maybe short term) of Doucet................and there is another receiver who was in camp last year who was a lot more impressive for a lot less money than Doucet.

First - learn to spell it is B-O-L-D-I-N..........................there is no gSecond - WHY do so many think that Q is actually leaving? Because he told his agent not to accept any contract changes from the Cards? Maybe - may be just his agent at work.........................BUT the fact remains that he is under CONTRACT for TWO more years - he has no leverage in this. I believe the Cardinals will try and renegotiate the contract, but if Boldin does not want to, he will still be under contract - he could hold out - so what? the Cardinals would STILL retain his rights under contract for two years. But if Arizona re-signs Warner AND Dansby they might decide a trade would leave them better placed - Breaston certainly came up big last year and they have DE Antonio Smith's contract to deal with as well.Finally, let's assume Boldin leaves or quits - you still have Fitzgerald and Breaston...............THEN Urban is still ahead (admittedly maybe short term) of Doucet................and there is another receiver who was in camp last year who was a lot more impressive for a lot less money than Doucet.
I agree. There's no guarantee Boldin is going anywhere. But let's assume he does leave.Fitz and Breaston will be 1 and 2. No doubt. And at this point I would rank Urban ahead of Doucet for the 3rd WR. Urban signed a 2 year contract in March of 08 (I think). Urban is currently listed ahead of Doucet on the depth chart, and heck, Urban actually had more TD's last year than Breaston did.So I wouldn't get too excited about Doucet. A lot has to happen for him to post numbers worthy of a being drafted next year.

He's young, there's not much to say at this point in time. Right now all you can do is either buy in to the potential or not. Hold and Stash out front of the pack a bit early or pass completely. You can't deny that holding in a dynasty right now comes with little risk and a potential big payoff. Considering the guy could have more talent than Urban AND Breaston. Who knows what's going to happen and maybe due to certain situations this season, he'll be sitting as the Cards #2 man...you just never know who will go down or get moved. That's what you gotta do with all these young WRs that are out there....you have to make your bed with a few of them, stash and hope you hit in a couple of years!

Talent wise I fell like he should be able to pass Urban this year now that he's healthy (if Boldin is gone) and we see some of his LSU skills evolve further (most had him a top 5 WR last season, some had him higher). Right there, you're a step closer to even more playing time. Warner and the passing O lets you look pretty deep on this team, you gotta be there when something happens.

The bottom line is he could be a high ankle sprain away from being the Cards 2 man at WR.

The problem Cleat Spike is that we usually have to make choices. Rosters are usually limited in terms of space for "stash" guys, and we can't just hold every guy with potential that we want to, and still roster enough currently productive players to win. So, while Doucet might be valuable in the future, we may also have 5 or 10 other RBs/WRs/QBs in that same category to choose from.

Sometimes current indicators give you a pretty good idea, sometimes they don't. Raise your hand if you wasted space on DJ Hackett in the past. He's never going to amount to anything. Raise your hand if you've used space on Laurent Robinson or Dwayne Jarrett or Jacoby Jones or many others who the jury is still out on but whose star seems to be fading, while others you could have rostered have become productive players contributing to wins each week.

It's not always so easy as stash him and see. The decisions, the choices, are part of the fun and frustration of the dynasty game.

CP, I thought it was sorta assumed around here that making the tough choices and finding that balance between present & future (with roster space constraints) was a given within these conversations! Sounds like you're in the boat of hold or pass completely like I said above....just trying to present that this guy is not that far away as you might think and maybe the product that produced 3 startable weekly WR gives him an edge over a few other WR/RBs 4 rungs deep on your team. You're right each league is different and it's your call.

BTW, I can put my name down for Hackett, Robinson, Jones!

CP, I thought it was sorta assumed around here that making the tough choices and finding that balance between present & future (with roster space constraints) was a given within these conversations! Sounds like you're in the boat of hold or pass completely like I said above....just trying to present that this guy is not that far away as you might think and maybe the product that produced 3 startable weekly WR gives him an edge over a few other WR/RBs 4 rungs deep on your team. You're right each league is different and it's your call. BTW, I can put my name down for Hackett, Robinson, Jones!
I wasn't disagreeing with anything you said really, I was just following up by spewing my verbiage out there as it entered my peanut brain. It was your post that triggered my thought, so I mentioned your name.The guy I'm high on bigtime is Caldwell. I think Housh is out the door, and neither 85, Henry or Simpson fits the possession role Caldwell can. With the TE and starting RB not being pass catching positions in Bratkowski's offense and if Palmer comes back healthy, this could be an 80 catch season for Caldwell.

CP, I thought it was sorta assumed around here that making the tough choices and finding that balance between present & future (with roster space constraints) was a given within these conversations! Sounds like you're in the boat of hold or pass completely like I said above....just trying to present that this guy is not that far away as you might think and maybe the product that produced 3 startable weekly WR gives him an edge over a few other WR/RBs 4 rungs deep on your team. You're right each league is different and it's your call. BTW, I can put my name down for Hackett, Robinson, Jones!
I wasn't disagreeing with anything you said really, I was just following up by spewing my verbiage out there as it entered my peanut brain. It was your post that triggered my thought, so I mentioned your name.The guy I'm high on bigtime is Caldwell. I think Housh is out the door, and neither 85, Henry or Simpson fits the possession role Caldwell can. With the TE and starting RB not being pass catching positions in Bratkowski's offense and if Palmer comes back healthy, this could be an 80 catch season for Caldwell.
I like it. I hear you too. I picked up an orphaned dynasty team and I have nothing to lose as I rebuild, so I'm sitting on a bunch of young fish! Avery, Caldwell, Doucet, Hixon. Someone gave up on Doucet late last year.I wish we could fast forward some of these situations! Very interesting this year and there looks to be a lot of big changes coming and opportunities for these younger WRs. It's sounds like you and I are both Caldwell & Doucet homers though, so maybe we're blowing smoke!

Link

Why do I feel like I've read that quote 1000 times before, only with different names? Oh yeah, because it's meaningless coach-speak.

Link

Why do I feel like I've read that quote 1000 times before, only with different names? Oh yeah, because it's meaningless coach-speak.
"It's a numbers game"

I watched a lot of Doucet at LSU and really like him. But, I think his situation is terrible at the current time and he's not really a "buy low" since most owners are going to realize that Boldin might leave. In order for Doucet to have any fantasy relevance in the near future, ALL of these things will have to happen:

1. Warner will have to return. This isn't a given at this point.

2. Boldin will have to leave. While this more of a sure thing than the above, his leaving decreases the chances of #1.

3. He will have to pass Urban. This shouldn't be hard to do, but still is another obstacle.

If any of the above don't happen, then Doucet will continue to be a wasted roster spot. Now, I don't mind holding onto guys for potential, but the guys I'm holding I'm usually expecting big things from. Even if all 3 of the above happen and he cracks the roster as the #3 WR, is he really going to contribute enough to be really worth it?

No thanks.

When Boldin is retained for 09, Doucet is riding pine, and his owner gets tired of waiting on him then I'll jump on him - whether it be via cheap trade or plucking off waivers.

Link

At least he's not saying Doucet has things to learn before he can play, or that he's behind schedule. Often times the best indicator of the progress of a player who is not seeing the field much is what the coaches are saying about him. Last year after Felix Jones went down, the Cowboys said they weren't going to get another back because they were very comfortable with Tashard Choice as the sole backup. Meaningless coachspeak? I agree that we should dismiss coachspeak when it conflicts with what we see with our own eyes, but when it comes to young players, it's all we've got, and sometimes it gives you the drop on your competition.

Users who are viewing this thread