What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

East Bound and Down (1 Viewer)

Steve Tasker

Footballguy
Anyone else looking forward to this show?

Basically, it's a washed up major league pitcher who returns to his old town as a gym teacher. Looks like it could be good.

It premieres tonight (2/15) at 10:30 on HBO.

Wiki link

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm so ####### pumped for this.

Will Ferrell as Ric Flair-esque Ashley Hamilton(or something like that), looks like GOLD!

WHOOOOOO!!!

I never got the Danny McBride love, but he looks really funny in this!

I thought the funniest part was at the end when the janitor said where the **** is he going, it's still first period. I was dying. Overall show had promise. Would have liked to have seen his brother lay him out but whatever.

It was also funny when he was yelling and apologizing.

I have never seen the actor before has he done anything else.

I thought the funniest part was at the end when the janitor said where the **** is he going, it's still first period. I was dying. Overall show had promise. Would have liked to have seen his brother lay him out but whatever. It was also funny when he was yelling and apologizing. I have never seen the actor before has he done anything else.
I have to say he seems to be the next up and coming thing from a comedic actor standpoint. He's been busy lately. I know he was in The Heartbreak Kid as the annoying cousin, he was pretty funny I thought in Tropic Thunder as the insane pyro guy, and I thought he was downright hilarious in Pineapple Express. He's also in Ferrell's new one coming out. Looking forward to this show.

I thought the funniest part was at the end when the janitor said where the **** is he going, it's still first period. I was dying. Overall show had promise. Would have liked to have seen his brother lay him out but whatever. It was also funny when he was yelling and apologizing. I have never seen the actor before has he done anything else.
I have to say he seems to be the next up and coming thing from a comedic actor standpoint. He's been busy lately. I know he was in The Heartbreak Kid as the annoying cousin, he was pretty funny I thought in Tropic Thunder as the insane pyro guy, and I thought he was downright hilarious in Pineapple Express. He's also in Ferrell's new one coming out. Looking forward to this show.
Plus he played the main role in The Foot Fist Way.

Not a bad show pretty funny, just not sure this has legs for a full season, but i could be wrong.

Here is a link to watch it http://www.megavideo.com/?v=IS6HWCME

Best line was:

Kid: My dad says you ruined baseball

Kenny Powers: You know what i get the feeling no matter how many pushups or sittups you do i am not going to like you very much. Kids if you want to pick on one boy

There was a recent article in the Atlanta Journal Constitution comparing Kenny Powers to John Rocker:

HBO’s ‘Eastbound’ may look familiar to John Rocker

Fictional Kenny Powers borrows traits from former Braves pitcher

By RODNEY HO

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Friday, February 13, 2009

Former major league pitcher John Rocker has been out of baseball for six years but recently made headlines after a public confrontation with a local radio host. Now HBO has come out with a comedy featuring Kenny Powers, who evokes a bit of that politically incorrect, take-no-prisoners Rocker vibe. Danny McBride, a Georgia native and star of the show, said the character is an amalgam of “shamed ballplayers from the past,” including Rocker. “I think he’ll like it,” McBride said. Rocker saw clips online earlier this week and “he just sat there and grinned,” said “Southside” Steve Rickman, a Rock 100.5 morning host and friends with Rocker. (Rocker himself couldn’t be reached for comment.)

Here’s a comparison of the real person vs. the fictional character.

John Rocker

Baseball history: In 1998, at age 23, Rocker debuted as a reliever for the Braves and had his best season with 38 saves the next year. Atlanta embraced him.

Trouble: In 2000, in a Sports Illustrated story, he insulted gays, immigrants, Asian women and African Americans, resulting in suspension and ridicule. His pitching abilities waned and the Braves traded him in 2001. By 2003, he was out of major league baseball.

Post-baseball: He’s worked in real estate and financial management. He started a “Speak English” campaign. He’s a regular visitor to the Regular Guys morning show on Rock 100.5.

Steroids?: He’s been implicated in steroid investigations and in 2007 admitted using Human Growth Hormone while pitching.

Kenny Powers

Baseball history: At age 19, as a rookie, he pitched the bottom of the ninth and won the World Series for the Braves. He received big money, endorsements and magazine covers (“Mullet Power” was the headline of a fake Sports Illustrated). He eventually left the Braves to become a free agent.

Trouble: He joined the New York Mets and proceeded to insult Jews. He moved to the San Francisco Giants and insulted gays. He ended his career in Seattle where he gave the fans a farewell middle finger.

Post-baseball: After he lost his baseball money, he moved in with his brother in his small North Carolina hometown and got a job at the local middle school as a P.E. teacher while pining for his high school squeeze.

Steroids?: He denied using, then knocked a cameraman down.

Just caught it tonight. Good premier... wish it would have been a full hour. But very funny.

Principal: Want a smoothie?

Powers: No I'm straight.

Powers: I took April's virginity.

Principal: What's that?

Powers: I don't want a smoothie.

Brother: Hey, you're ruining my siding!

Powers: aw, #### your siding.

That last exchange kind of reminded me of hooter311's friend.

The only thing that made me a little uncomforable during the show was, at times, I could identify with Powers. Quite a bit. And I don't think that's a good thing.

RULES.

Might be my favorite show ending of all time.

Last edited by a moderator:
We have something in common. I'm training for a triathalon.

I play a real sport - not "who can exercise the best"

Wow, a lot of people wanting to write it off after one show. I thought it was aas good as you could expect. And there is definitely promise in it. I think you'd have to give it a season before you can say it's a flop.

I was pumped and I thought they tried a little too hard, but I'll definatley be back and hope it smoothes out a bit in episode 2.

I thought the coke was kind of gratitious, but my personal favorite line of the show was in there, when he talked about following Widespread. I can't tell you how many purveyors of the disco powder I knew who followed that, and thats a fine attention to recent southern culture right there!

...and can I wear the Scream mask, the mask from Scream, when I do you from behind

I have Comcast On Demand and I get the HBO channel. Can I watch this show anytime on the On Demand menu?

I was pumped and I thought they tried a little too hard, but I'll definatley be back and hope it smoothes out a bit in episode 2.

I thought the coke was kind of gratitious, but my personal favorite line of the show was in there, when he talked about following Widespread. I can't tell you how many purveyors of the disco powder I knew who followed that, and thats a fine attention to recent southern culture right there!
I thought this was a great scene, they seemed to nail the chattiness that ensues from partaking in that particular substance well. The widespread line almost made me spit up.

I thought this was a great scene, they seemed to nail the chattiness that ensues from partaking in that particular substance well. The widespread line almost made me spit up.
:unsure: spot on.

Mark me as a big fan of this out of the gate. I have watched it 3 times now and laughed constantly throughout. I love that it isn't just another sitcom. The combination of the awkwardness of the Office, the swearing of Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back, and the gratuitous pointless nude scene is exactly what TV in 2009 should be!

(Of course as much as I like this show I fully realize we will be lucky if it is around for more then 2 seasons)

I'm a bullet-proof tiger!

I watched it last night and, honestly, I was somewhat disappointed. The little intro that they've been running with Will Ferrell made it seem like it'd be a lot funnier. Don't get wrong, it had it's funny moments (I thought the Kenny Powers cassette tapes were funny) but overall.....meh.

:moneybag:

eoMMan said:
I watched it last night and, honestly, I was somewhat disappointed. The little intro that they've been running with Will Ferrell made it seem like it'd be a lot funnier. Don't get wrong, it had it's funny moments (I thought the Kenny Powers cassette tapes were funny) but overall.....meh. :rolleyes:
YOU'RE ####IN' OUT.

eoMMan said:
I watched it last night and, honestly, I was somewhat disappointed. The little intro that they've been running with Will Ferrell made it seem like it'd be a lot funnier. Don't get wrong, it had it's funny moments (I thought the Kenny Powers cassette tapes were funny) but overall.....meh. :mellow:
YOU'RE ####IN' OUT.
Although, there is something about that teacher that Kenny is trying to get with. She's not hot by any means, but something about her is sexy. :)

eoMMan said:
I watched it last night and, honestly, I was somewhat disappointed. The little intro that they've been running with Will Ferrell made it seem like it'd be a lot funnier. Don't get wrong, it had it's funny moments (I thought the Kenny Powers cassette tapes were funny) but overall.....meh. :mellow:
YOU'RE ####IN' OUT.
Although, there is something about that teacher that Kenny is trying to get with. She's not hot by any means, but something about her is sexy. :)
They're called "breasts".

eoMMan said:
YOU'RE ####IN' OUT.
They're called "breasts".
:)

Users who are viewing this thread