What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

N.O. Saints (1 Viewer)

Them and 31 other teams. Saints are over the cap as is. They've got one of the worst cap situations in the league. They're dreaming.

Obviously, any team in the league could use someone of Tomlinson's considerable talents, but with the salary cap and the RBs they already have in mind, the Saints are one team who should not be looking at him.

Is LT better than Pierre Thomas at this point in their respective careers? Thomas was pretty awesome for a cheap, cheap price last year. Paying LT $6 mil or so to limit Thomas' time on the field seems questionable.

Is LT better than Pierre Thomas at this point in their respective careers? Thomas was pretty awesome for a cheap, cheap price last year. Paying LT $6 mil or so to limit Thomas' time on the field seems questionable.
i really can't believe i just read this statement.

You have to ignore anything that a Vanderbilt fan says about anyone on the Chargers roster. They have Rivers-envy.

It would be a bad move by the Saints. Thomas and Bush and whoever are good enough, the Saints need defense way more than another RB.

You have to ignore anything that a Vanderbilt fan says about anyone on the Chargers roster. They have Rivers-envy.
:goodposting: But to Eagles2007...2 years ago, would you have said the same about Shaun Alexander?

I think the question of whether its LT or not isn't the intriguing one. This is now the second RB that the Saints have been linked with, as there were reports of their interest in Derrick Ward as well. So, do the Saints know something about Thomas that we're not seeing? This is the second offseason where he's had at least some level of interest from the SP, and now seems like the second offseason where the Saints are trying to keep him from having a bigger piece of the pie.

Granted, I am fully aware of Payton's need to get another one of his "toys", and he doesn't have a lot of picks to throw around to draft one this year so FA is the only option.... but I do have to wonder why the Saints are trying to keep Thomas from being a centerpiece.

I think the question of whether its LT or not isn't the intriguing one. This is now the second RB that the Saints have been linked with, as there were reports of their interest in Derrick Ward as well. So, do the Saints know something about Thomas that we're not seeing? This is the second offseason where he's had at least some level of interest from the SP, and now seems like the second offseason where the Saints are trying to keep him from having a bigger piece of the pie.Granted, I am fully aware of Payton's need to get another one of his "toys", and he doesn't have a lot of picks to throw around to draft one this year so FA is the only option.... but I do have to wonder why the Saints are trying to keep Thomas from being a centerpiece.
Maybe it's not Thomas... maybe it's Bush they are souring on. I can't really see them bringing in Tomlinson, but if they did I could see them possibly trading Bush.

I think the question of whether its LT or not isn't the intriguing one. This is now the second RB that the Saints have been linked with, as there were reports of their interest in Derrick Ward as well. So, do the Saints know something about Thomas that we're not seeing? This is the second offseason where he's had at least some level of interest from the SP, and now seems like the second offseason where the Saints are trying to keep him from having a bigger piece of the pie.Granted, I am fully aware of Payton's need to get another one of his "toys", and he doesn't have a lot of picks to throw around to draft one this year so FA is the only option.... but I do have to wonder why the Saints are trying to keep Thomas from being a centerpiece.
Maybe it's not Thomas... maybe it's Bush they are souring on. I can't really see them bringing in Tomlinson, but if they did I could see them possibly trading Bush.
Might be, but I doubt it. Reggie's performance on the field isn't of the groundbreaking variety that some expected, but its sufficient. And he sells tickets better than anyone on the field. I'd be surprised if Reggie went anywhere, though I suppose its possible that marketing LT could bring in similar merchandising numbers.That said, it may be that Reggie is part of why they aren't comfortable with only 2 backs on the roster. Either way it seems apparent that they aren't. The cap and limited picks may make it impossible to get a third with any viable talent, but Payton and Loomis do seem to be sticking their noses in whatever business they can at the moment. We know that Reggie isn't enough to carry the load by himself. The question is whether Pierre is enough to carry the other half. The fact that the Saints keep looking into FA RBs seems to imply that they don't think he is.

That said, it may be that Reggie is part of why they aren't comfortable with only 2 backs on the roster. Either way it seems apparent that they aren't. The cap and limited picks may make it impossible to get a third with any viable talent, but Payton and Loomis do seem to be sticking their noses in whatever business they can at the moment. We know that Reggie isn't enough to carry the load by himself. The question is whether Pierre is enough to carry the other half. The fact that the Saints keep looking into FA RBs seems to imply that they don't think he is.
the time-pic beat writers were all in agreement on a recent webchat with fans that payton is looking for a short yardgae back. they need someone to replace thomas and/or bush in those 3rd and short situations. thomas showed an inability to pick those up consistently.

Is LT better than Pierre Thomas at this point in their respective careers?
serious?
:goodposting: Is it that hard to believe?I'd take Ahmad Bradshaw, Kevin Smith, and Michael Bush over Shaun Alexander, Rudi Johnson, and Jamal Lewis too, if that's also surprising.RBs very rarely regain their form once they hit their 30s and their stats begin to decline.Maybe LT is the exception...but the LT that averaged 3.8 ypc last year looked very, very old.

There were rumours all last off-season that the Saints were looking at RBs and they added no one. I think this will be the same.

I would be surprised if they could pay what it would take to get LT but I would NOT be surprised if they got a guy like Michael Bush. Payton said he wanted a bigger, stronger back than Pierre Thomas. Not sure why he would have said that at this time if he wasn't serious about upgrading. I could read that as motivation for Pierre if it were said at the beginning of training camp, but seemed odd to hear that comment early in off season if it wasn't a serious opinion.

I would be surprised if they could pay what it would take to get LT but I would NOT be surprised if they got a guy like Michael Bush. Payton said he wanted a bigger, stronger back than Pierre Thomas. Not sure why he would have said that at this time if he wasn't serious about upgrading. I could read that as motivation for Pierre if it were said at the beginning of training camp, but seemed odd to hear that comment early in off season if it wasn't a serious opinion.
based on what i know of michael bush, i would be very happy to add him to the RB corps in NOLA. he would likely come at an affordable price too. he's the kind of back that we need.

Might be, but I doubt it. Reggie's performance on the field isn't of the groundbreaking variety that some expected, but its sufficient. And he sells tickets better than anyone on the field. I'd be surprised if Reggie went anywhere, though I suppose its possible that marketing LT could bring in similar merchandising numbers.That said, it may be that Reggie is part of why they aren't comfortable with only 2 backs on the roster. Either way it seems apparent that they aren't. The cap and limited picks may make it impossible to get a third with any viable talent, but Payton and Loomis do seem to be sticking their noses in whatever business they can at the moment. We know that Reggie isn't enough to carry the load by himself. The question is whether Pierre is enough to carry the other half. The fact that the Saints keep looking into FA RBs seems to imply that they don't think he is.
I think the biggest question mark surrounding Reggie is his knee and him being on the field for 16 games, not performance or putting people in the seats.

I think the biggest question mark surrounding Reggie is his knee and him being on the field for 16 games, not performance or putting people in the seats.
Says he feels great. Shall see. Before he got hurt last year, i thought he played a lot better than he had the previous two seasons.

That said, it may be that Reggie is part of why they aren't comfortable with only 2 backs on the roster. Either way it seems apparent that they aren't. The cap and limited picks may make it impossible to get a third with any viable talent, but Payton and Loomis do seem to be sticking their noses in whatever business they can at the moment. We know that Reggie isn't enough to carry the load by himself. The question is whether Pierre is enough to carry the other half. The fact that the Saints keep looking into FA RBs seems to imply that they don't think he is.
the time-pic beat writers were all in agreement on a recent webchat with fans that payton is looking for a short yardgae back. they need someone to replace thomas and/or bush in those 3rd and short situations. thomas showed an inability to pick those up consistently.
This is what I'm thinking too. Wonder what they got against Bell? Dood looked good in his limited action last year.

The Saints would reportedly have a "high level of interest" in LaDainian Tomlinson if he doesn't reach a restructured deal with San Diego.

There have been multiple indications that New Orleans isn't completely sold on Pierre Thomas as its lead back since the season ended. We expect the Chargers and Tomlinson to agree on a redone deal, but until a new contract is worked out LT's release will remain a realistic possibility.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/2009/0...terested-in-lt/

ETA: must be a ploy to motivate Mike Bell.

Last edited by a moderator:
vandyt said:
but the LT that averaged 3.8 ypc last year looked very, very old injured.
The fact that he averaged almost 4 yards per carry despite dealing with one nagging injury after another (and an offensive line that seemed to have lost its passion for run-blocking) suggests that he is still a top back.

vandyt said:
The fact that he averaged almost 4 yards per carry despite dealing with one nagging injury after another (and an offensive line that seemed to have lost its passion for run-blocking) suggests that he is still a top back.
I think the writing is on the wall for LT. NO would end up with a worn down RB just about at the the end of the line if they dealt for him.

vandyt said:
I think the writing is on the wall for LT. NO would end up with a worn down RB just about at the the end of the line if they dealt for him.
I think it's pretty obvious that he is nearing the end of his career, but I don't think it is out of the question that he can still be a top five back in the next two or three years if he's healthy and has ample opportunity.

Captain_Apocalypse said:
The Saints would reportedly have a "high level of interest" in LaDainian Tomlinson if he doesn't reach a restructured deal with San Diego.

There have been multiple indications that New Orleans isn't completely sold on Pierre Thomas as its lead back since the season ended. We expect the Chargers and Tomlinson to agree on a redone deal, but until a new contract is worked out LT's release will remain a realistic possibility.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/2009/0...terested-in-lt/

ETA: must be a ploy to motivate Mike Bell.
...or Dalton Hilliard.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gadabout said:
saintfool said:
PranksterJD said:
This is what I'm thinking too. Wonder what they got against Bell? Dood looked good in his limited action last year.
i thought the same thing! the stats don't necessarily support the perception though: 13 attempts/42 yards 1 td/3.2 average. i think he's under contract through this year.

vandyt said:
I think it's pretty obvious that he is nearing the end of his career, but I don't think it is out of the question that he can still be a top five back in the next two or three years if he's healthy and has ample opportunity.
Top 5 for the next 2-3 years? Say what?

I doubt this happens, but if healthy LT2 is far better than Thomas

vandyt said:
He was top ten this year in yards, attempts, TDs, and yards from scrimmage WITH all of his injuries. How is this far-fetched?

Gadabout said:
saintfool said:
PranksterJD said:
i thought the same thing! the stats don't necessarily support the perception though: 13 attempts/42 yards 1 td/3.2 average. i think he's under contract through this year.
I just remember thinking, on several occasions, that he wasn't doing that bad. His good runs must've came at crucial moments or somethin. Still, the only reason I can see them bringing in a new RB is for those short yardage situations that screwed us last year. To bring in a big name for that purpose seems kinda senseless.

Maybe Mickey's just havin some fun.

Saints best writer thinks they will stick with Bush and Pierre

I've been unable to confirm or refute the report from the National Football Post that the Saints are "looking closely" at San Diego Chargers running back LaDanian Tomlinson and that they would have a "high level of interest" if the Chargers were unable to come to terms on a new deal with Tomlinson. But I have a hard time believing there would be any serious mutual interest.

From everyone I've talked to this offseason, both on and off the record, I don't believe the Saints are looking to invest heavily at the tailback position, either through free agency or the draft. I also paid little attention reports that they might be interested in top free agent tailback Derrick Ward.

Of course, they'd love to have Tomlinson if they had unlimited resources. He and quarterback Drew Brees are very close friends, and he has the versatility to be a great fit in Sean Payton's diverse offense. But Tomlinson wouldn't come cheap even if the Chargers let him go, and the Saints value all four tailbacks they currently have on the roster - Reggie Bush, Pierre Thomas, Mike Bell and Lynell Hamilton.

I think the Saints will look to add a short-yardage back to the mix - either later in free agency at a discounted price, or later in the draft, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if those are the four guys they head into the season with. They're comfortable featuring both Bush and Thomas as a 1-2 punch, and they don't need a No. 1 tailback who would take touches away from both players.
http://blog.nola.com/saintsbeat/2009/02/ne...ensive_t_1.html

Saints best writer thinks they will stick with Bush and Pierre

I've been unable to confirm or refute the report from the National Football Post that the Saints are "looking closely" at San Diego Chargers running back LaDanian Tomlinson and that they would have a "high level of interest" if the Chargers were unable to come to terms on a new deal with Tomlinson. But I have a hard time believing there would be any serious mutual interest.

From everyone I've talked to this offseason, both on and off the record, I don't believe the Saints are looking to invest heavily at the tailback position, either through free agency or the draft. I also paid little attention reports that they might be interested in top free agent tailback Derrick Ward.

Of course, they'd love to have Tomlinson if they had unlimited resources. He and quarterback Drew Brees are very close friends, and he has the versatility to be a great fit in Sean Payton's diverse offense. But Tomlinson wouldn't come cheap even if the Chargers let him go, and the Saints value all four tailbacks they currently have on the roster - Reggie Bush, Pierre Thomas, Mike Bell and Lynell Hamilton.

I think the Saints will look to add a short-yardage back to the mix - either later in free agency at a discounted price, or later in the draft, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if those are the four guys they head into the season with. They're comfortable featuring both Bush and Thomas as a 1-2 punch, and they don't need a No. 1 tailback who would take touches away from both players.
http://blog.nola.com/saintsbeat/2009/02/ne...ensive_t_1.html
they have other holes to fill ...

vandyt said:
finally, some common sense to all this talk about LT being done

vandyt said:
He was top ten this year in yards, attempts, TDs, and yards from scrimmage WITH all of his injuries. How is this far-fetched?
Because in 3 yrs he will be 33. He'll probably still be playing, but his chances of being a top 5 RB at that age are slim and none. And slim left town.

vandyt said:
Because in 3 yrs he will be 33. He'll probably still be playing, but his chances of being a top 5 RB at that age are slim and none. And slim left town.
This year he's 30, so 31 in 2010 and 32 in 2011 - that's 3 years.

vandyt said:
This year he's 30, so 31 in 2010 and 32 in 2011 - that's 3 years.
Ok.Same principle applies at the age of 32.

Same principle applies at the age of 32.
Are you suggesting there has never been a top 5 back of the age of 32, or even 33?
I'm suggesting the chances of that are highly unlikely. Are you suggesting that it's a common occurrence?
Of course, the flip side is that the chances of a back doing what Tomlinson has done thusfar are also highly unlikely, so its therefore MORE likely that he's one of the highly unlikely people to continue doing so. :stirspot:

Users who are viewing this thread