Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

David Dodds

Obama's Policies Lead Market Rebound

Ah, Dick Morris, that respected market analyst.

You must really hate the fact that he was correct.

How did the analysts you respect do?

yes, do tell

He was certainly not correct that the market collapsed because of potential tax increases.
This is about projection and that was one fear that drove the market down. So he was correct that the market collapsed in part because of a fear of rising taxes. Don't hold your breath those increases are coming, the economy won;t let him do it yet.

He was certainly not correct that the market collapsed because of potential tax increases.
This is about projection and that was one fear that drove the market down. So he was correct that the market collapsed in part because of a fear of rising taxes. Don't hold your breath those increases are coming, the economy won;t let him do it yet.
:lmao:My favorite part is how you actually believe this crap.

:confused:My favorite part is how you actually believe this crap.
I've been using it for decades and I was able to retire at age 57. Now get back to work.

You must really hate the fact that he was correct. How did the analysts you respect do?
Know that saying about a blind squirrel? I just gotta say good luck, if you're getting your investment advice from Dick Morris.As far as this thread goes, I'm not really a participant although I've found it humorous. But just struck me as even more funny to quote that guy, but I guess it's fitting in a thread like this.
Only a fool listens to one opinion. As I implied he was not the only one saying this there were many more. You really misses the boat on this market didn't you.Please show me what your respected analysts said.
I did fine in the market and I'll continue to do fine in the market, in large part because I don't listen to political analysts with an agenda like Dick Morris to guide my investments.

DJIA: +208.44NASDAQ: +40.66Obama did some serious presidenting today :thumbup:

DJIA:+254.75 NASDAQ:+62.81 Peace in the Middle East better not distract him.

Wall St hates Obama. They thought they'd love him...but now they've turned on him. What the market hates is uncertainty...not knowing. What will taxes be come January? What will impact of the healthcare scheme be? How much more debt will he amass? How many more activists will he annoint to the Supreme Court? Yada yada yada. He's a complete wildcard, an unknown. You can't punch those things into a calculator.

Want to jump start the economy? Do 3 things:

1. Repeal the Healthcare scheme. Give tax subsidy to buy your own and cap lawsuit punitive damages.

2. Extend Bush tax cuts. In addition, suspend cap gain tax for the next 2 years.

3. Do things that make hiring a new employee cost LESS, not MORE. Employment tax holiday, streamline govt regs to hire someone, nix all employment of illegals, do away with minimum wage.

Obama is a cancer to the free market. I can't decide if he is ignorant...or if he's doing it on purpose. He undermines investor confidence incessantly.

3. Do things that make hiring a new employee cost LESS, not MORE. Employment tax holiday, streamline govt regs to hire someone, nix all employment of illegals, do away with minimum wage.

How would the bolded make hiring a new employee cost less, rather than more?

Also, how does it jive with the point right before it? As it would require additional regulation (or at least stringent enforcement of existing regulation) to accomplish. On the plus side, I suppose it would create a lot of good new government jobs as you'd need a small army of people to enforce it.

Also, how does it jive with the point right before it? As it would require additional regulation (or at least stringent enforcement of existing regulation) to accomplish. On the plus side, I suppose it would create a lot of good new government jobs as you'd need a small army of people to enforce it.
We already have a MASSIVE army to enforce it...they just don't.

With the elections looming, I think it's time for a courtesy bump to acknowledge how much difference a great leader can do for the country.

Current Scorecard:

Bush 1st term (Jan 21, 2001 - Jan 20, 2005) - NASDAQ = started at 2770.38 ended at 2045.88 (-26.1%)

Bush 2nd term (Jan 21, 2005 - Jan 20, 2009) - NASDAQ = started at 2045.88 ended at 1440.86 (-29.6%)

Cumulative Bush (2 terms) = 48.0% drop in NASDAQ

Obama (Jan 21, 2009 - Present) - NASDAQ started at 1440.86 and is currently at 2490.85 (+72.9%)

With the elections looming, I think it's time for a courtesy bump to acknowledge how much difference a great leader can do for the country.

Current Scorecard:

Bush 1st term (Jan 21, 2001 - Jan 20, 2005) - NASDAQ = started at 2770.38 ended at 2045.88 (-26.1%)

Bush 2nd term (Jan 21, 2005 - Jan 20, 2009) - NASDAQ = started at 2045.88 ended at 1440.86 (-29.6%)

Obama (Jan 21, 2009 - Present) - NASDAQ started at 1440.86 and is currently at 2490.85 (+72.9%)

NEVER gets old.

Kind of sad that never in my lifetime do I expect to see as great a President as George W Bush was on October 9, 2007.

:goodposting::bag: :wistful tear:

I bought a bunch of TIPS last year and I just read news that TIPS yield has gone negative. What does this mean?! Is my investment hosed? :lmao:

I love the way he worked the 1st two years in order to give a nice post mid term elections bump. Awesome job. I figure DOW will be at about 17,000 by the time he gets re-elected in Nov 2012.

I a perverse way, Obama might be giving the stock market a rise by creating a climate of fear. Fear leads to companies holding cash rather than spending, which leads to higher profits. Higher profits translate into a rise in share price.

The question is whether that is good for the GDP (it isn't) or employment (it isn't) and therefore whether it is good for the economy as a whole (it isn't).

I a perverse way, Obama might be giving the stock market a rise by creating a climate of fear.

:thumbup:This is almost as good as Dodds's schtick, nice job!

Whatever he's doing today, he should have started doing two years ago.

Same as day one.

no doubt the election results are spurring confidence in the market :rolleyes:

Just like Obama planned it. :cry:

He's on fire as of late, no doubt. Amazing the guy can go out campaining in this climate, yet still hav time to focus on the economy.

Hopefully he can work his magic enough before the new Repulbican Congress gets in there and starts railroading him.

:hot:

Fear leads to companies holding cash rather than spending, which leads to higher profits. Higher profits translate into a rise in share price.

Lolwat

I a perverse way, Obama might be giving the stock market a rise by creating a climate of fear.

:shrug:This is almost as good as Dodds's schtick, nice job!
I can take my tongue out of my cheek now?

:lmao:This is almost as good as Dodds's schtick, nice job!
I can take my tongue out of my cheek now?
You could at least have used the :thumbup: smiley first! Custom suited for your post and you gave it short shrift. SHORT SHRIFT!

World markets fearful about Bernankes idiocy

The Financial Times is reporting that central banks in China, Brazil, India and elsewhere are dismayed by the Fed’s action to print $600 billion and spread it around America’s bankrupt financial system. They’ve good reason to worry – this is killing the value of the dollar, making their exports to the US more expensive, as well as driving up the dollar cost of things like gold and oil. Its a huge mess – a repeat, on steroids, of the stupid mistakes the Fed has made since 2007.

Everyone must keep in mind what has really happened here. Bernanke essentially pressed a button at the Federal Reserve and $600 billion in US currency immediately appeared – but not out of thin air. You see, by making this extra pile of money, he essentially picked the pockets of all Americans because the money you had yesterday is now worth less, today. Your money is a store of your wealth – so, that hard days work you put in on Friday? You now ended up getting paid less for it.

How’s that feel?

And it gets worse. You see, what Bernanke did will eventually wind up in the hands of the bankrupt Banksters – who will then use it to by US Treasuries. So, the money which was stolen from you will be given to Banksters who will then loan it back to you, at interest.

Want to grab your bucket of tar and bag of feathers, yet?

But here’s the real kicker – it won’t work. This is designed in accordance with Keynesian theory which says that if the central bank does this, it will spur investment and job creation. What it is really doing is fueling an already overboard asset bubble (you’ll note that the stock market rocketed up on Thursday) which will eventually crash, taking what remains of the economy with it. So, the final result here is that you have had your money stolen and then loaned back to you, and you’re going to see your job lost, your home value drop some more and your retirement nest egg wiped out.

Anyone out there still wondering why I’m calling myself a revolutionary these days?

I haven’t had too much use for Ron Paul over the years, but he’s got one good idea which must be pressed – audit the Fed. We need to tell everyone just where the money went so that public outrage will grow to proper proportions, and then kill the Fed completely. No more central banks, no more fiat currency, no more wealth being ripped off so that fat cats can remain fat.

I a perverse way, Obama might be giving the stock market a rise by creating a climate of fear. Fear leads to companies holding cash rather than spending, which leads to higher profits. Higher profits translate into a rise in share price.

The question is whether that is good for the GDP (it isn't) or employment (it isn't) and therefore whether it is good for the economy as a whole (it isn't).

CLIMATE OF FEAR!!

World markets fearful about Bernankes idiocy

The Financial Times is reporting that central banks in China, Brazil, India and elsewhere are dismayed by the Fed’s action to print $600 billion and spread it around America’s bankrupt financial system. They’ve good reason to worry – this is killing the value of the dollar, making their exports to the US more expensive, as well as driving up the dollar cost of things like gold and oil. Its a huge mess – a repeat, on steroids, of the stupid mistakes the Fed has made since 2007.

Everyone must keep in mind what has really happened here. Bernanke essentially pressed a button at the Federal Reserve and $600 billion in US currency immediately appeared – but not out of thin air. You see, by making this extra pile of money, he essentially picked the pockets of all Americans because the money you had yesterday is now worth less, today. Your money is a store of your wealth – so, that hard days work you put in on Friday? You now ended up getting paid less for it.

How’s that feel?

And it gets worse. You see, what Bernanke did will eventually wind up in the hands of the bankrupt Banksters – who will then use it to by US Treasuries. So, the money which was stolen from you will be given to Banksters who will then loan it back to you, at interest.

Want to grab your bucket of tar and bag of feathers, yet?

But here’s the real kicker – it won’t work. This is designed in accordance with Keynesian theory which says that if the central bank does this, it will spur investment and job creation. What it is really doing is fueling an already overboard asset bubble (you’ll note that the stock market rocketed up on Thursday) which will eventually crash, taking what remains of the economy with it. So, the final result here is that you have had your money stolen and then loaned back to you, and you’re going to see your job lost, your home value drop some more and your retirement nest egg wiped out.

Anyone out there still wondering why I’m calling myself a revolutionary these days?

I haven’t had too much use for Ron Paul over the years, but he’s got one good idea which must be pressed – audit the Fed. We need to tell everyone just where the money went so that public outrage will grow to proper proportions, and then kill the Fed completely. No more central banks, no more fiat currency, no more wealth being ripped off so that fat cats can remain fat.

Agreed about the questionable move by the Fed, but we can all agree that has nothing to do with Obama, right?

Two articles about yesterday:

By STEVEN RUSSOLILLO

NEW YORK—Stocks rallied Thursday to their highest level since September 2008 as investors applauded the Federal Reserve's latest effort to stimulate the struggling economy.

The Dow surged nearly 220-points to its highest level since September 2008 thanks to the Federal Reserve's plan to buy $600 billion in treasurys. Bob O'Brien and Kristina Peterson has details and tell us why gold prices also hit a new record.

The Dow Jones Industrial Average closed up 219.71 points, or 1.96%, to 11434.84, its highest closing level since just before Lehman Brothers Holdings Inc. collapsed.

Dow components Bank of America, J.P. Morgan Chase and Caterpillar propelled blue chips to their fifth gain in a rowand biggest climb since Sept. 1.

The Standard & Poor's 500-stock index rose 23.10 points, or 1.93%, to 1221.06. Financials were the strongest sector after The Wall Street Journal reported that the Federal Reserve is expected to allow healthy banks with strong capital levels to raise their dividends.

The Nasdaq Composite gained 37.07 points, or 1.46%, to 2577.34. The technology-heavy index closed at its highest level since January 2008. It has risen in 18 of the last 21 sessions.

Investors pushed stocks higher as they digested the Fed's plans, announced on Wednesday, to purchase an additional $600 billion of longer-term Treasury securities by June in a second round of quantitative easing, dubbed QE2. The central bank also will keep reinvesting principal payments from its securities holdings.

"I'm a little surprised that there wasn't a 'sell the news' reaction, but people are clearly relieved at the size of the quantitative easing package," said Ben Halliburton, chief investment officer at Tradition Capital Management.

On the employment front, initial jobless claims posted a bigger-than-expected jump, suggesting continued weakness in the labor market as investors gear up for the October nonfarm payrolls report, due Friday morning.

Not-so-happy holidays ahead at the gas pump

Fed's stimulus move could mean higher gasoline pump prices with holiday shopping ahead

Sandy Shore, AP Business Writer, On Thursday November 4, 2010, 1:31 pm EDT

There's one place holiday shoppers probably won't find a bargain this year: At the gas pump.

There is plenty of oil and gasoline on hand, and pump prices usually fall this time of year. So what's causing the run-up? Most analysts point to the Federal Reserve's $600 billion economic stimulus effort.

The national average for a gallon of unleaded gasoline was $2.806 Thursday, according to AAA, Wright Express and Oil Price Information Service. That's about 7 cents more than a month ago and 12 cents above a year ago. It will probably keep rising. Some analysts think the price could be a nickel to a dime more by Thanksgiving.

The strength of the dollar and the price of oil are closely linked. The dollar has been getting weaker against other currencies for weeks, ahead of the Fed decision and will probably fall further as more dollars pour into the economy.

Oil is priced in dollars and becomes cheaper for holders of foreign currency when the dollar falls. Europeans, for example, get more dollars for their euros and can buy more oil for fewer euros. Since oil is cheaper for them, they buy more, sending up the dollar price of oil.

Energy traders expect this to happen, so they buy oil when the dollar falls, boosting the effect.

Benchmark crude for December delivery rose $1.69 to $86.38 a barrel in Thursday afternoon trading on the New York Mercantile Exchange.

When the dollar weakens, investors would rather hold hard assets like oil and other commodities because hard assets protect them against more weakening and inflation.

The likely outcome for consumers will be higher prices at the pump and for basics like food.

"Effectively, what the Fed did yesterday was impose a new tax on consumers," Cameron Hanover analyst Peter Beutel said.

Oil prices hit a high for the year of $87.15 a barrel during intraday trading in early May, when gas pump prices were around $2.90 a gallon. They're heading back there again.

For every penny the price at the pump increases, it costs consumers an additional $4 million, Beutel said. If the price rises a dime, it means consumers pay $40 million more each day that 10-cent hike is in place.

At the current national average of $2.80 per gallon, a typical motorist using about 50 gallons of fuel per month will spend about $140.

"Gasoline prices are almost probably, in my opinion, double what they ought to be," said Beutel. "So the question is ... those people who have jobs, how much longer can they afford to pay ever-higher prices at the pump."

Higher gas prices already have prompted consumers to cut back on discretionary weekend driving, said John Gamel, director of economic analysis for MasterCard Advisors SpendingPulse.

It's similar to the trend in 2008 when consumers started conserving on travel as gas prices first rose above $3.15 a gallon and then spiked over $4 a gallon.

Still, that doesn't necessarily mean consumers will cut back in other areas. Holiday shoppers, unlike summer vacationers, have options like buying online, said Kamalesh Rao, Director of Economic Research for MasterCard Advisors SpendingPulse. In many cases online prices are lower than in stores.

Typically, about 10 percent to 11 percent of all retail spending is spent on gas in the winter. That increases to a range of 15 percent to 16 percent during the summer when more Americans take driving vacations, Rao said.

In other Nymex trading in December contracts on Thursday, heating oil added 4.40 cents at $2.3719 a gallon, gasoline gained 3.64 cents to $2.1744 a gallon and natural gas fell 5 cents to $3.786 per 1,000 cubic feet.

In London, Brent crude climbed $1.55 to $87.93 a barrel on the ICE Futures exchange.

Associated Press Energy Writer Jonathan Fahey contributed to this report.

Obama's Team Making a Case for Best Presidential Economic Team Ever

Current Scorecard:

Obama (Jan 21, 2009 - Present) - NASDAQ started at 1440.86 and is currently at 2591.46 (+79.9%)

Although this will be hidden on page twelve of most newspapers, I think it showcases what a masterful job this administration is doing:

http://www.emii.com/Articles/2726500/Capit...-Estimates.aspx

CBO Downgrades TARP Cost Estimates

12-03-2010

The Congressional Budget Office has again revised downward final cost estimates of the government’s Troubled Asset Relief Program. In March, the CBO projected the tab would add up to $109 billion, lowering it to $66 billion in August. Now the agency predicts TARP will cost taxpayers $25 billion thanks to additional repurchases of preferred stock by TARP recipients and a smaller than estimated bailout for American International Group.

Although this will be hidden on page twelve of most newspapers, I think it showcases what a masterful job this administration is doing:

12-03-2010

The Congressional Budget Office has again revised downward final cost estimates of the government’s Troubled Asset Relief Program. In March, the CBO projected the tab would add up to $109 billion, lowering it to $66 billion in August. Now the agency predicts TARP will cost taxpayers $25 billion thanks to additional repurchases of preferred stock by TARP recipients and a smaller than estimated bailout for American International Group.

You do realize TARP was Bush's policy and is what actually prevented the collapse. Initially TARP caused a panic when the severity of the situation was realized which resulted in the downturn, but when the markets saw TARP was successful, it rebounded. What on earth Obama had to do with any of that is beyond any logic.

Using the current numbers above...

$200,000 invested on Jan 21, 2001 (Bush Presidency) would have been worth just $104,000 8 years later

$200,000 invested on Jan 21, 2009 (Obama Presidency) would be worth $359,800 in less than 2 years.

It's hardly a noticeable difference.

CLIMATE OF FEAR!!
:bag:

CLIMATE OF FEAR!!
:bag:
THAT is a great name for a band

:thumbup:

But I thought the President of the United States was an Al Qaeda Manchurian candidate sleeper agent planted in Hawaii by Bin Ladin's great uncle in 1961?

American politics is so confusing....

Current Scorecard:

Obama (Jan 21, 2009 - Present) - NASDAQ started at 1440.86 and is currently at 2591.46 (+79.9%)

Average unemployment rate under Bush = 5.27%

Average unemployment rate under Obama = 9.45%

12-03-2010

You do realize TARP was Bush's policy and is what actually prevented the collapse. Initially TARP caused a panic when the severity of the situation was realized which resulted in the downturn, but when the markets saw TARP was successful, it rebounded. What on earth Obama had to do with any of that is beyond any logic.
Sounds like Obama fixed TARP too and made it successful under his administration. He's just awesome.

Current Scorecard:

That is laughable to cite as meaning anything. Those unemployed werent a a result of Obama policies.

Bush "created" (I know Presidents dont create jobs) around 1 million jobs in his 8 years in office, had a net loss of half a million jobs in the private sector jobs in 8 years, and only created jobs in government. That was all after his trickle down Laffer tax cuts were in place. He had the worst job creation performance of any president in at least 50 years.

Obama has actually "created" about as many jobs in 2010 as Bush did in 8 years. And if you look at the job loss/creation numbers for the last years of Bush versus the first years of Obama you see a definite trend.

http://politics.gather.com/viewArticle.act...281474978035096

Current Scorecard:

That is laughable to cite as meaning anything. Those unemployed werent a a result of Obama policies.

Bush "created" (I know Presidents dont create jobs) around 1 million jobs in his 8 years in office, had a net loss of half a million jobs in the private sector jobs in 8 years, and only created jobs in government. That was all after his trickle down Laffer tax cuts were in place. He had the worst job creation performance of any president in at least 50 years.

Obama has actually "created" about as many jobs in 2010 as Bush did in 8 years. And if you look at the job loss/creation numbers for the last years of Bush versus the first years of Obama you see a definite trend.

http://politics.gather.com/viewArticle.act...281474978035096

See, here's the thing. I intentionally answered an insipid, context-free, cherry-picked post with a similar post of my own. Funny that you had no objection to the idiocy of the first post.

Now on to the holes in your "logic".

The Bush tax cuts actually performed well in bringing the country out of the conditions he either inherited form Clinton or that came very early in his presidency, ie the dotcom bubble, Enron and the accounting scandals, and 9/11. Then the economy went into freefall at the very end of his presidency due to factors that had been building for decades. But if you look at the vast middle part of the Bush presidency, the economic conditions were not bad, certainly superior to anything we have seen from Obama.

You also don't do much for your argument when you state that presidents don't create jobs then go on to lambaste Bush and lionize Obama for their performance on that very thing.

Current Scorecard:

George W Bush Unemployment Rate

First full month of presidency was 4.2% ended at 7.7%

73% increase in unemployment rate

Barack Obama Unemployment Rate

First full month of presidency was 8.2%, currently 9.8%

19.5% increase (slowing down the damage)

Current Scorecard:

This,

Holy crap, Repubs. I know you hate seeing the stock market doing so well under Obama, but don't you dare try to pin the unemployment problem on him. Obama stopped the meteoric rise that began under Bush. Sure, he's going to need to get it down from 9.8% to get re-elected, but to pretend there was a good unemployment trend with Bush in there is laughable.

Current Scorecard:

This is even dumber than Dodd's analysis that prompted my tongue-in-cheek response.

Current Scorecard:

This is even dumber than Dodd's analysis that prompted my tongue-in-cheek response.
But not quite as dumb as someone thinking Dodds is doing any sort of analysis.

Stocks were euphorically higher most of today, thanks to the unexpectedly broad tax deal the administration hammered out with the Republicans. But during his press conference, Obama’s clear anger and call to unwind the deal in 2 years opened a trap door under prices, sending them to a negative finish. We had hope, and then it changed.

oof