What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NYJ TE Dustin Keller (1 Viewer)

B Will

Footballguy
I drafted him over Carlson, and the other TE's because i liked this kids size. I believe at TE he can be almost as important as a WR because of his ability... Yea he made some dropped TD's this year. he is a Rook. he will only get better.

Stupid move on Keller's part. Weight gain does not equate to better blocking. He should stick to what he is, a pass catching tight end, and one who can thrive in that role. The added weight could hurt his best skill.

Stupid move on Keller's part. Weight gain does not equate to better blocking. He should stick to what he is, a pass catching tight end, and one who can thrive in that role. The added weight could hurt his best skill.
Keller was basically just a WR last year, and while he's relatively fast, he's only going to make it in the NFL as a tight end. He needs to work on his blocking significantly to be an everydown TE. The writing is on the wall for the 2009 Jets -- smashmouth running game and a tough defense. The Jets are going to be Baltimore North, and if Keller's going to become a star of the offense he's got to improve his blocking.Now his weight may not be the issue, agreed; but he will be a more valuable member of the team if he's on the field every play.

Keller was basically just a WR last year, and while he's relatively fast, he's only going to make it in the NFL as a tight end. He needs to work on his blocking significantly to be an everydown TE. The writing is on the wall for the 2009 Jets -- smashmouth running game and a tough defense. The Jets are going to be Baltimore North, and if Keller's going to become a star of the offense he's got to improve his blocking.Now his weight may not be the issue, agreed; but he will be a more valuable member of the team if he's on the field every play.
I don't know about that. Like I said, and I think you agreed in the above post, weight does not make you better at blocking. It can, however, make you slow.

Balco said:
Chase Stuart said:
Balco said:
I don't know about that. Like I said, and I think you agreed in the above post, weight does not make you better at blocking. It can, however, make you slow.
Weight can make you better at blocking, especially if the weight gained is muscle, plus its harder to run through a 250 pounder than a 240 pounder. There is a risk that he could get somewhat slower, but that's no more likely than added weight not helping Keller's blocking.Its probably the right decision for Keller to add weight, they would like him to be 3-down TE(otherwise he wouldn't have been a 1st rounder) if it doesn't work, its not like he couldn't lose the weight again.

Weight doesn't make you better, but strength can.

That being said, a lot of blocking success comes from technique, and that's where he's had trouble in the past.

Weight doesn't make you better, but strength can.

That being said, a lot of blocking success comes from technique, and that's where he's had trouble in the past.
:shrug: I will again state that weight does not make you a better blocker. Technique is the key, look at a guy like Mark Stepnoski. Awesome Center that played well below 300. You need to have good technique to block, and a lot of that is effort. Look at Tony Gonzalez, he came into the league as a horrible blocker, and he has worked to really improve that. And there has not been much change in his size.

Keller can actually use his speed to his benefit when blocking. Most of the time, he will likely be on the backside of running plays, so he simply has to do a reach block to keep the backside defender out of the play. Same with a linebacker. You don't have to pancake a guy to make a great block, you just need to keep him out of the play.

Balco said:
Chase Stuart said:
Balco said:
Weight can make you better at blocking, especially if the weight gained is muscle, plus its harder to run through a 250 pounder than a 240 pounder. There is a risk that he could get somewhat slower, but that's no more likely than added weight not helping Keller's blocking.Its probably the right decision for Keller to add weight, they would like him to be 3-down TE(otherwise he wouldn't have been a 1st rounder) if it doesn't work, its not like he couldn't lose the weight again.
I don't see a problem with him going up to 250 if it helps him stay on the field. I also think all the top TE's in the league are 250+.

What exactly was hos playing weight last year? ESPN has him listed at 248, which is prett similar to dallas clark's 252 and kellen winslow's 250. Granted both of those guys have a couple inches on Keller in terms of height.

Im sure a little weight gain couldn't hurt him, but working on blocking technique is a lot more important than gaining 10 pounds. Keller is already pretty jacked and he's definitely already strong enough.

Weight doesn't make you better, but strength can. That being said, a lot of blocking success comes from technique, and that's where he's had trouble in the past.
This.If Keller came out and said "I am going to get stronger so I can block better" I'd say go for it. But when it's stated as "I need to add weight", it just sounds foolish. I'm reminded of ADP. How does adding 10 pounds to your frame affect how much it hurts you when someone else hits you?We see these add/lose weight schemes every offseason or so. Can we start a sticky on them so we can evaluate the results of teh experiment at the end of the season?My money is on technique and mindset over 10 pounds of added weight.

On his NFL.com Combine Profile Negatives it says: Has marginal size for the classic tight end position and is best used in a move-oriented (H-Back) formation to get the best out of his ability...Must totally revamp his blocking technique, as he spends too much time catching defenders with his hands and will generally get those hands outside his frame, allowing the opponent to make a quick move over his outside shoulder...Must do a better job of anchoring and running his feet when asked to block in-line, but he also does not possess the raw power to hold his ground firmly at the point of attack..Also a poor cut blocker, as he fails to execute good angles to get out and neutralize second-level defenders.

Stuff like this is echoed elsewhere. Rivals.com: He needs significant improvement as an inline blocker. His ability to block for the running game is not up to NFL standards and may limit his ability to win a starting job. He needs to take better angles and use his quickness and natural knee bend to get better leverage.

The bolded part might be the reason he needs to gain some strength. The rest is obviously a laundry list of poor technique.

Users who are viewing this thread